HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,165 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
American Flag in the Sanctuary? #90710
07/24/07 01:41 AM
07/24/07 01:41 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so I hope this forum is approximately appropriate.

The debate over whether or not to display the American flag in the sanctuary was recently brought to my attention. Has anyone here actually put some thought and research into it, and come to some conclusions? I'd like to hear the conclusions and the supporting evidence. Thanks.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90712
07/24/07 04:51 AM
07/24/07 04:51 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: asygo
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so I hope this forum is approximately appropriate.

The debate over whether or not to display the American flag in the sanctuary was recently brought to my attention. Has anyone here actually put some thought and research into it, and come to some conclusions? I'd like to hear the conclusions and the supporting evidence. Thanks.
I haven't researched the subject but I think that the question as phrased would only pertain to churches in the U. S. A.

I'm fairly sure that you wouldn't find an American flag in a JW Hall. \:\)

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90715
07/24/07 06:39 AM
07/24/07 06:39 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: crater
I haven't researched the subject but I think that the question as phrased would only pertain to churches in the U. S. A.

You're right.

Canadians (and others), feel free to replace "American" with whatever is appropriate for you. ;\)

I'm fairly sure that you wouldn't find an American flag in a JW Hall. \:\)

If I understand correctly, they are against all flags. But then, JWs are against many things that Adventists favor.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90728
07/24/07 04:49 PM
07/24/07 04:49 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Though I'm most interested in the reasons behind it, I thought it would be good to have a poll just to see where people stand.

Should we fly a national flag in the sanctuary?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/24/07 04:49 PM

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90729
07/24/07 04:52 PM
07/24/07 04:52 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Ignore that last poll. I want to add an option for those sitting on the fence.

Should we fly a national flag in the sanctuary?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/24/07 04:52 PM

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90731
07/24/07 08:32 PM
07/24/07 08:32 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It seems to me that most, but not all, of our churches have a national flag in the sanctuary.

I actually haven't researched this either, however, I never found a problem with it previously.

Relating to this, I understand there may be one or more SDA Churches against having a cross in the sanctuary. I think I will begin a new topic on this.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Daryl] #90737
07/25/07 01:06 AM
07/25/07 01:06 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Would a cross be less appropriate in the sanctuary than a flag?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90741
07/25/07 07:36 AM
07/25/07 07:36 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States

Here is what I found as to the significane of displaying the American flag. Old Glory:
Show Her The Respect a Lady Deserves
By Judith E. Pearson, Ph.D.

Quote:
With this sudden resurgence of patriotic display, we need to be mindful of flag protocol, and remember to display our national banner in a way that shows reverence and respect. After all, the U.S. Flag is a spiritual symbol of our values, aspirations, ideals, and history as a people united in the cause of liberty and democracy.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90745
07/25/07 04:37 PM
07/25/07 04:37 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
I did a little search on flags in church and found a discussion under the a Presbyterian Church That had some interesting thoughts on the subject. Near the bottom of the site I found this quote that sheds some light on the history of why flags are displayed in American churches. The site had links to various articles on the subject.

Quote:
On church flags – a little more history [1-2-07]

There is some history to the flags in churches. One does not typically find national flags in churches overseas. In the United States the practice seems to have developed during the Taft administration when the world was heading toward WWI. Franklin Roosevelt issued a statement requesting churches to have the flag placed in churches as we entered WWII. My memory is that this was done reluctantly and at the advice of and pressure of Secretary of War Stimson. The cross on the Christian flag is one inch taller than the eagle on the American flag.

John Rauhut

Karen B. Westerfield Tucker wrote The American Flag in Methodist Worship: A Historical Look at Practice Here are Just a couple quotes from the article that I found interesting.

Quote:
From at least the mid-nineteenth century onward, the flag has often appeared inside and outside Methodist churches and at church gatherings during periods of national crisis. Such is not surprising, given that the United States and the Methodist denomination were born at roughly the same time and grew up together: Methodist identity has been strongly linked with the nation and its ideals of democracy and liberty. Methodist writers throughout the nineteenth century, for example, saw the country as their "parish" and urged Methodists to play a key role in the establishment — and perpetuation — of the "Christian nation." Nowhere was this connection between duty to God and duty to country more obvious than in the Methodist Episcopal Church during the 1860's. .....

......Conover was not alone in his concern about subordinating Christian (or intended Christian) symbols to a national flag. Others were also troubled by the blending of religion with nationalism, remembering the German helmets in World War I emblazoned with "Gott mit uns" ("God with us"). But it was the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam conflict that forced many churches to reconsider the placement of flags in the worship space. More recently, because of the international ecumenical movement and advances in technology, it has been the greater sense of global Christianity — Christians linked by baptism to the Kingdom that transcends all nations — that has caused many United Methodists to rethink the use of the flag. Can the flag, which to many symbolizes economic and military might, stand near the cross with its meanings of humility, servanthood, and selfless sacrifice? Does "Old Glory" in the congregation’s place of worship conflict with the glorification of our unbounded, nationless God? Can the prophetic word — and even God’s word of judgment — to a nation be heard when that nation’s flag stands in a place of honor?

I haven't found that Ellen has commented either way on flags in the santurary of the church. So would need to study principles. She has mentioned the rebel flag a few times as well as satan's flag.

There were several time that she spoke on temperance to non-SDA groups where the American flag was drapped or displayed in her honor.

Quote:
Step out from under the rebel flag, and take your stand under the blood-stained banner of Prince Emmanuel. {RH, July 7, 1904 par. 13}

Lose Not One Opportunity to Unite With Temperance Work.--I am sorry that there has not been a more lively interest among our people of late years to magnify this branch of the Lord's work. We cannot afford to lose one opportunity to unite with the temperance work in any place. Although
the cause of temperance in foreign countries does not always advance as rapidly as we could wish, yet in some places decided success has attended the efforts of those who engaged in it. In Europe we found the people sound on this question. On one occasion, when I accepted an invitation to speak to a large audience on the subject of temperance, the people did me the honor of draping above the pulpit the American flag. My words were received with the deepest attention, and at the close of my talk a hearty vote of thanks was accorded me. I have never, in all my work on this question, had to accept one word of disrespect.--Letter 278, 1907. {Te 225.5}

On Sunday she addressed the largest crowd she was to encounter in any of her public efforts in Europe. The president of the local temperance society had invited her to make a temperance address at the soldiers' military gymnasium, the largest hall in the city. The hall was packed with 1,600 people for the occasion. Obviously the interest in temperance reform was high. {EGWE 122.1}

When she arrived, Mrs. White found an American flag placed as a canopy above the pulpit, "an attention," she remarked, "which I highly appreciated." {EGWE 122.2}

In the audience to hear her were many prominent citizens, including the Bishop of the State Church and a number of other clergymen. {EGWE 122.3}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90754
07/25/07 11:25 PM
07/25/07 11:25 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Isn't Christianity, which sees neither Jew nor Greek, above nationalistic considerations? Certainly, many have sacrificed themselves to secure freedom from the tyranny of other men. But what is that in comparison to the sacrifice of the Lamb slain to secure freedom from the tyranny of self, sin, and Satan?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90756
07/26/07 03:48 AM
07/26/07 03:48 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
I just don't see it being a big deal either way, but I rather enjoy seeing flags where ever they are, and not just the US flag. If someone can show from the Bible or EGW that it is wrong to have one in the church then that would be the way to go but I don't think that is possible.

A cross in or on a church? Why is it wrong? The biggest objection I've ever heard is that it's a Catholic thing, like that is a reason to discard something.

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Redfog] #90758
07/26/07 07:09 AM
07/26/07 07:09 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
When this question was posed to me last week, I didn't exactly know what to think because I had never considered it. But as I thought about it for a few minutes, I concluded that the flag should not be in the sanctuary.

My conclusion is far from being set in stone, but I have not seen a compelling reason to change my mind yet. Let me elaborate on my reasoning.

The sanctuary was set up by God to teach us His plan of salvation. Note these words from inspiration:
 Quote:
Yet important truths concerning the heavenly sanctuary and the great work there carried forward for man's redemption were to be taught by the earthly sanctuary and its services. {PP 357.2}

Thus in the work of Christ for our redemption, symbolized by the sanctuary service, "mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Psalm 85:10. {PP 349.2}

The great truths set forth by the types in the service of the sanctuary were brought to view, and faith grasped the central object of all that system--the Lamb of God, that was to take away the sin of the world. {Ed 47.2}

It is clear that the purpose of the sanctuary transcends national ties; God's salvation is for all of humanity. Everything in the sanctuary pointed to Christ and His work. Hence, there were no nationalistic aspects in the sanctuary that God designed.

Were there flags in the way God set up the Israelites when He took them out of Egypt? Yes, there were. Each tribe had its own flag. But we should note that those flags were never used in the sanctuary or its services. The closest thing to a flag in the sanctuary would be the veils, representing Christ (Hebrews 10:20).

When we go into the sanctuary, our main goal should be to worship God in spirit and in truth. There should be nothing that draws our attention away from God and His work.

True, Old Glory stands for the great sacrifices that have been made to keep us free. But in light of the supreme sacrifice made by God to set us free, its glory fades into insignificance.

Yes, we should honor the flag and the principles for which it stands, and the people who sacrificed to establish and protect those principles. But not in the sanctuary, where we honor the Infinite.

WDYT?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90762
07/26/07 01:46 PM
07/26/07 01:46 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Growing up there was an American flag in the church and I just accepted it being there and never thought to question it. I suppose I have thought it was there to show that the church members were loyal citizens of the U. S. A.

Pathfinder clubs usually have an honor guard that leads the group into the sanctuary for Pathfinder Day programs.

As an adult I have gave the flag in the sanctuary, a passing question in my mind.

I have found it interesting that other churches are questioning this same thing and have read with some interest what they have to say.

I don't know if it should even be an isssue. It could become a distraction, like many other distractions to prevent us from getting into the word.

Having said that, I find that I have come up with a few questions for us SDA's.

How does displaying a national flag in the church sanctuary effect "present truth"?

Should it just be an issue for each local church to decide for themselves?

Just a thought; obviously, it is most likely that our churches wouldn't display the flag of the first beast, but what about the second beast of Rev 13?

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Redfog] #90808
07/27/07 04:01 PM
07/27/07 04:01 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Redfog
I just don't see it being a big deal either way, but I rather enjoy seeing flags where ever they are, and not just the US flag. If someone can show from the Bible or EGW that it is wrong to have one in the church then that would be the way to go but I don't think that is possible.

A cross in or on a church? Why is it wrong? The biggest objection I've ever heard is that it's a Catholic thing, like that is a reason to discard something.

Redfog
Or is a cross a pre-catholic thing?

I am not on any crusade to remove crosses but, I do find it interesting to know the origins of something.

In the reality of it's origin symbolism, could "the cross", be the Tau of Tamuz, inherited from the Babylonian cult?

Last edited by crater; 07/27/07 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90810
07/27/07 06:20 PM
07/27/07 06:20 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
The origin of something has no bearing on somethings present usage. The cross is a symbol of Christianity, along with fish and doves. Are symbols wrong?

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Redfog] #90811
07/27/07 07:19 PM
07/27/07 07:19 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Redfog
The origin of something has no bearing on somethings present usage. The cross is a symbol of Christianity, along with fish and doves. Are symbols wrong?

Redfog

I don't know, are they? Do man made symbols border on images?

I do know that; God used symbols to teach. We see it through the sanctuary system and elsewhere.

I find that in the study of the Lord's symbols, there is so much depth and meaning.

There was the brass serpent on a pole, I have to say I had some trouble with this symbol as, I associate serpent with the adversary. That is until Ellen cleared it up for me.

Quote:
Nicodemus was being drawn to Christ. As the Saviour explained to him concerning the new birth, he longed to have this change wrought in himself. By what means could it be accomplished? Jesus answered the unspoken question: "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." {DA 174.3}

Here was ground with which Nicodemus was familiar. The symbol of the uplifted serpent made plain to him the Saviour's mission. When the people of Israel were dying from the sting of the fiery serpents, God directed Moses to make a serpent of brass, and place it on high in the midst of the congregation. Then the word was sounded throughout the encampment that all who would look upon the serpent should live. The people well knew that in itself the serpent had no power to help them. It was a symbol of Christ. As the image made in the likeness of the
destroying serpents was lifted up for their healing, so One made "in the likeness of sinful flesh" was to be their Redeemer. Rom. 8:3. Many of the Israelites regarded the sacrificial service as having in itself virtue to set them free from sin. God desired to teach them that it had no more value than that serpent of brass. It was to lead their minds to the Saviour. Whether for the healing of their wounds or the pardon of their sins, they could do nothing for themselves but show their faith in the Gift of God. They were to look and live. {DA 174.4}

Those who had been bitten by the serpents might have delayed to look. They might have questioned how there could be efficacy in that brazen symbol. They might have demanded a scientific explanation. But no explanation was given. They must accept the word of God to them through Moses. To refuse to look was to perish. {DA 175.1}

Not through controversy and discussion is the soul enlightened. We must look and live. Nicodemus received the lesson, and carried it with him. He searched the Scriptures in a new way, not for the discussion of a theory, but in order to receive life for the soul. He began to see the kingdom of heaven as he submitted himself to the leading of the Holy Spirit. {DA 175.2}

There are thousands today who need to learn the same truth that was taught to Nicodemus by the uplifted serpent. They depend on their obedience to the law of God to commend them to His favor. When they are bidden to look to Jesus, and believe that He saves them solely through His grace, they exclaim, "How can these things be?" {DA 175.3}

The rock is another symbol used for Chirst through out scripture.

Quote:
It was Christ, by the power of His word, that caused the refreshing stream to flow for Israel. "They drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ." 1 Corinthians 10:4. He was the source of all temporal as well as spiritual blessings. Christ, the true Rock, was with them in all their wanderings. "They thirsted not when He led them through the deserts: He caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them; He clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out." "They ran in the dry places like a river." Isaiah 48:21; Psalm 105:41. {PP 411.2}

The smitten rock was a figure of Christ, and through this symbol the most precious spiritual truths are taught. As the life-giving waters flowed from the smitten rock, so from Christ, "smitten of God," "wounded for our transgressions," "bruised for our iniquities" (Isaiah 53:4, 5), the stream of salvation flows for a lost race. As the rock had been once smitten, so Christ was to be "once offered to bear the sins of many." Hebrews 9:28. Our Saviour was not to be sacrificed a second time; and it is only necessary for those who seek the blessings of His grace to ask in the name of Jesus, pouring forth the heart's desire in penitential prayer. Such prayer will bring before the Lord of hosts the wounds of Jesus, and then will flow forth afresh the life-giving blood, symbolized by the flowing of the living water for Israel.
{PP 411.3}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90816
07/28/07 12:28 AM
07/28/07 12:28 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
There was the brass serpent on a pole, I have to say I had some trouble with this symbol as, I associate serpent with the adversary.

The serpent as adversary has some validity. Remember, Christ was made sin for us.

But when we take things farther than what God intends, we fall into idolatry of the symbols. Remember what Hezekiah called it: Nehushtan.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90818
07/28/07 05:02 AM
07/28/07 05:02 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
There was the brass serpent on a pole, I have to say I had some trouble with this symbol as, I associate serpent with the adversary.

The serpent as adversary has some validity. Remember, Christ was made sin for us.

But when we take things farther than what God intends, we fall into idolatry of the symbols. Remember what Hezekiah called it: Nehushtan.

Are you relating the serpent as adversary in this particular setting or just in general?

I don't recall Nehushtan, incident. Thanks for pointing it out. Interesting that they had the relic still. The real significance must have been lost during that period.

Apparently, Nicodemus understood the significance of this symbol.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90820
07/28/07 05:13 AM
07/28/07 05:13 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Are you relating the serpent as adversary in this particular setting or just in general?

I'm talking about the brazen serpent on the pole representing Christ.

Quote:
As the image made in the likeness of the destroying serpents was lifted up for their healing, so One made "in the likeness of sinful flesh" was to be their Redeemer. Rom. 8:3.

Note that the symbol for healing was in the likeness of that which caused the death in the first place. So also, Christ was made in the likeness of sinful flesh.

There's something here that relates to Christ's nature (a favorite topic). The object on the pole was the LIKENESS of a serpent, not an actual serpent. So also, Christ came in the LIKENESS of sinful flesh, not actual sinful flesh. Paul chose his words wisely.

I don't recall Nehushtan, incident. Thanks for pointing it out. Interesting that they had the relic still. The real significance must have been lost during that period.

Apparently, Nicodemus understood the significance of this symbol.

The significance was indeed lost. They were worshiping it! And so, when it was a stumbling block rather than an aid, Hezekiah destroyed it.

Yes, Nicodemus understood its true meaning. Just as today, though some symbols are misused, there are those who understand their true meaning.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90832
07/28/07 09:33 PM
07/28/07 09:33 PM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec

Hello Crater,

Just a thought; obviously, it is most likely that our churches wouldn't display the flag of the first beast, but what about the second beast of Rev 13?

Thank you for this remark. It should receive careful attention from Sabbathkeepers.
(BTW - It is reported that the Papal flag was flown at a recent GC session.)

SDAs have long understood:

• the Papacy to be the beast of Revelation 13.
• the United States to be the image of the beast.

"In order for the United States to form an image of the beast, the religious power must so control the civil government that the authority of the state will also be employed by the church to accomplish her own ends."

"Then to learn what the image is like and how it is to be formed we must study the characteristics of the beast itself - the papacy" Both from Great Controversy 443.

Ellen White imples that the abomination of desolation stood in the holy place when the Roman standards were set up outside Jerusalem. GC 26 & 30. This was the time appointed to flee the holy city.

Likewise, the flag of the United States appears to be the most recognizable standard of the beast's image. This flag is a symbol of imperial domination and tyranny to many regions of the world. Canada's flag is sadly earning the same reputation.

Can a church or follower of the meek and lovely Lamb of God display this standard of the beast's image? What message is this sending to the multitudes who have been brutalized by the U.S. regime?

Christ said "my kingdom is not of this world" John 18:36. Thus, He would not fly a Roman flag. Does 'allegiance to the flag' help prepare one to accept the mark of the beast? What are your thoughts Crater?

Gordon

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90835
07/29/07 06:27 AM
07/29/07 06:27 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Hi gordonb1,

Your comments offer some food for thought. \:\)
 Quote:
Thank you for this remark. It should receive careful attention from Sabbathkeepers. (BTW - It is reported that the Papal flag was flown at a recent GC session.)
You know when I wrote that, I was thinking that I had heard something about the Papal flag was flown at a recent GC session. Which is difficult a thing to "digest".

From my reading I seem to remember it being stated that the U. S . Catholic churches do not display the American flag in there sanctuary.

Quote:
This thought just occurred to me the other day so, I am still mulling it over.

Quote:
Does 'allegiance to the flag' help prepare one to accept the mark of the beast? What are your thoughts

Perhaps there is more to this flag thing then the initial research? I am unable to put any thought on this into words yet. To use an old 60's phrase. It's a bit, "mind blowing".

I am to tired to answer this one tonight.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90838
07/29/07 09:43 AM
07/29/07 09:43 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO

Were there flags in the way God set up the Israelites when He took them out of Egypt? Yes, there were. Each tribe had its own flag. But we should note that those flags were never used in the sanctuary or its services. The closest thing to a flag in the sanctuary would be the veils, representing Christ (Hebrews 10:20).

WDYT?

I personally see a bit of a difference here. We have just ONE flag...they had 12, one for each nation. Perhaps God wanted to avoid having contention over which tribe's flag should be first in line, or something like that....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90839
07/29/07 10:07 AM
07/29/07 10:07 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: gordonb1

Likewise, the flag of the United States appears to be the most recognizable standard of the beast's image. This flag is a symbol of imperial domination and tyranny to many regions of the world. Canada's flag is sadly earning the same reputation.

Can a church or follower of the meek and lovely Lamb of God display this standard of the beast's image? What message is this sending to the multitudes who have been brutalized by the U.S. regime?

Christ said "my kingdom is not of this world" John 18:36. Thus, He would not fly a Roman flag. Does 'allegiance to the flag' help prepare one to accept the mark of the beast? What are your thoughts Crater?

Gordon

Gordon, if this was the case, don't you think EGW would have some counsel somewhere that we should not fly the USA flag anywhere, let alone in the church?

I'm not saying that I think that there should be a USA Flag in the church...why not fly it outside of the church, by the church sign or something? To take the stand you are is really anti-American.

Ellen White saw the flag as an "honor" -

Quote:
On one occasion, when I accepted an invitation to speak to a large audience on the subject of temperance, the people did me the honor of draping above the pulpit the American flag. My words were received with the deepest attention, and at the close of my talk a hearty vote of thanks was accorded me. I have never, in all my work on this question, had to accept one word of disrespect.--Te 225, 226 (1907).
Surely, she didn't see our flag as you are portraying it.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90841
07/29/07 04:38 PM
07/29/07 04:38 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Can a church or follower of the meek and lovely Lamb of God display this standard of the beast's image?

First, I don't think the U.S. is the image to the beast. I believe it is apostate Protestantism that is the image to the beast.
 Quote:
The "image to the beast" represents that form of apostate Protestantism which will be developed when the Protestant churches shall seek the aid of the civil power for the enforcement of their dogmas. {GC 445.2}

But that's for another thread.

What if the U.S. remained as lamb-like as it originally was?
 Quote:
The "two horns like a lamb" well represent the character of the United States Government, as expressed in its two fundamental principles, Republicanism and Protestantism. These principles are the secret of our power and prosperity as a nation. {ST, November 1, 1899 par. 4}

If the U.S. was a "good" nation, then would it be OK to fly its flag in the sanctuary? What about Israel in the days of David or Solomon? IOW, is your opposition to the flag in the sanctuary because the U.S. speaks like a dragon?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Tammy Roesch] #90844
07/29/07 04:59 PM
07/29/07 04:59 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tammy Roesch
Perhaps God wanted to avoid having contention over which tribe's flag should be first in line, or something like that....

God established who was first in line. It was Judah.

Quote:
Numbers 2:3 - And on the east side toward the rising of the sun shall they of the standard of the camp of Judah pitch throughout their armies....

Numbers 10:14 - In the first place went the standard of the camp of the children of Judah according to their armies....

I'm thinking that God wanted to avoid nationalistic concerns when it came to worship.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90846
07/30/07 02:41 AM
07/30/07 02:41 AM
G
gordonb1  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Veteran Member
Quebec
Hello asygo,

It appears that "United States" is used interchangeably with "Protestant America":

"...then Protestant America will have formed an image of the Roman hierarchy...the beast with two horns causeth all...to receive a mark in their right hand or in their foreheads..." GC 445.

"In order for the United States to form an image of the beast..." GC 443.

"The formation of this image is the work of that beast whose peaceful rise and mild professions render it so striking a symbol of the United States. Here is to be found an image of the Papacy." Spirit of Prophecy Vol. 4, 278.

Is there any "good nation"? Every nation is good in its own eyes, but Revelation 14:8 says Babylon "made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication."

My own opinion matters little. I repeat what I read in the Bible and SOP regarding the third angel's message. Who dare conceal it? While the USA will be first to enforce the Sunday law, all other nations (flags) will soon follow with a death decree.

Those deemed unpatriotic or "anti-American" for refusing to bow as did the three Hebrew boys, will be reported by their "brethren" for heresy.

What you have termed 'opposition to a flag in the sanctuary', I will describe as the principle: Separation of Church & State.

The only safe flag is the blood-stained banner of Immanuel.

Regards,

Gordon

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90848
07/30/07 05:49 AM
07/30/07 05:49 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
My own opinion matters little. I repeat what I read in the Bible and SOP regarding the third angel's message. Who dare conceal it?

That's what I'm looking for. I have not seen any plain statement in the Bible/SOP either for or against putting a flag in the sanctuary. But there are positive statements about flags in a religious meeting.

While the USA will be first to enforce the Sunday law, all other nations (flags) will soon follow with a death decree. ...

The only safe flag is the blood-stained banner of Immanuel.

It seems we arrive at the same conclusion via different routes. Your opposition seems to be based on U.S. apostasy, while my opposition is based on its humanity.

The plan of salvation, which is the basis of the Gospel we are to teach in our sanctuaries, is not to have any thread of human devising. Therefore, I oppose the placing of any national flag in the sanctuary, since nations - even God-ordained nations - are human institutions.

When God set up the sanctuary to teach us the plan of salvation, the only "flags" in there were the veils which represent Christ's flesh. Truly, they were blood-stained - by the work of the priests in the tabernacle and on Golgotha.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: gordonb1] #90849
07/30/07 06:02 AM
07/30/07 06:02 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
These quotes from GC seem to indicate the U. S A., as well." The dignitaries of church and State will unite to bribe, persuade, or compel all classes to honor the Sunday. The lack of divine authority will be supplied by oppressive enactments. Political corruption is destroying love of justice and regard for truth; and even in free America, rulers and legislators, in order to secure public favor, will yield to the popular demand for a law enforcing Sunday observance. Liberty of conscience, which has cost so great a sacrifice, will no longer be respected. In the soon-coming conflict we shall see exemplified the prophet's words: "The dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." [REV. 12:17.] {GC88 592.3}

"Heretofore those who presented the truths of the third angel's message have often been regarded as mere alarmists. Their predictions that religious intolerance would gain control in the United States, that church and State would unite to persecute those who keep the commandments of God, have been pronounced groundless and absurd. It has been confidently declared that this land could never become other than what it has been, the defender of religious freedom. But as the question of enforcing Sunday observance is widely agitated, the event so long doubted and disbelieved is seen to be approaching, and the third message will produce an effect which it could not have had before."
{GC88 605.3}

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90874
07/31/07 01:35 AM
07/31/07 01:35 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Revelation 13:11 - And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

Revelation 13:14 - And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

It has been shown that the United States is the power represented by the beast with lamblike horns... {GC 578.3}

But what is the "image to the beast"? and how is it to be formed? The image is made by the two-horned beast, and is an image to the beast. {GC 443.1}

The U.S. is the 2nd beast of Rev 13. It makes the image to the first beast. I don't see how we can equate the 2nd beast to the image of the beast.

But again, this is

Is a nation's moral standing a factor to you whether or not it should plant its flag in the sanctuary?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #90894
07/31/07 05:14 PM
07/31/07 05:14 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Quote:
Is a nation's moral standing a factor to you whether or not it should plant its flag in the sanctuary?

Interesting question and more food for thought.

Sorry I don't have any time right now, getting ready for a trip. \:\)

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #90898
07/31/07 07:14 PM
07/31/07 07:14 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
No denomination I know of in South America uses a flag in the church building.

I also think Christianity is above nationalistic considerations.

Philippians 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Rosangela] #91188
08/07/07 01:27 PM
08/07/07 01:27 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
This has been a most interesting topic.

I am wondering why EGW wasn't given any revelation against displaying flags in the sanctuary.

Were flags displayed in any of our SDA churches during the lifetime of EGW? If no, then that would explain the absence of any writings against it, however, where was she when the USA flag was draped in her honour? Was it in a SDA Church

Daryl smile

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Daryl] #91202
08/08/07 06:31 AM
08/08/07 06:31 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
This has been a most interesting topic.

I am wondering why EGW wasn't given any revelation against displaying flags in the sanctuary.

Were flags displayed in any of our SDA churches during the lifetime of EGW? If no, then that would explain the absence of any writings against it, however, where was she when the USA flag was draped in her honor? Was it in a SDA Church

From my understanding of what I have read, Ellen was in Europe speaking as a guest at a "temperance meeting" that wasn't SDA sponsored," when the flag draping event occurred.

I also understand from my reading, that the placing of the American flag in the churches began about the time of WWI. Which would have been near the time of or after her death.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #91208
08/08/07 03:51 PM
08/08/07 03:51 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I also understand from my reading, that the placing of the American flag in the churches began about the time of WWI. Which would have been near the time of or after her death.

I have also read that WWI "started" it, and that flag waving in church generally increases during times of war. It seems that when patriotism rises, we tend to mix it with Christianity.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: asygo] #91214
08/08/07 07:36 PM
08/08/07 07:36 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States

I have also read that WWI "started" it, and that flag waving in church generally increases during times of war. It seems that when patriotism rises, we tend to mix it with Christianity.

How true. It kind of hints of "church and state".

In the USA the so called "Christian Right" tend to be "flag wavers". At the other extreme in the 1960's we had the "flag burners".

When the "attacks of 9/11 occurred there were lots of flag waving. I was a bit surprised to see some who were flying flags, though it didn't last long.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: crater] #91246
08/09/07 07:07 PM
08/09/07 07:07 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Were there any flags in the churches during the time of the American Civil War between the North and the South?

Daryl smile

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Daryl] #91652
09/01/07 02:53 AM
09/01/07 02:53 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
This is interesting, Here in Moncton we had not had any flags in the sanctuary.At my wedding in 1992 we could not fit our families and guests in the Moncton Church so we used my fathers family Church for the wedding (yikes I was married in a United Church by an SDA minister and it was an SDA wedding) At St. John's United Church they have the old Canadian Flag (Union Jack) on one side of the Church, with a nameplate of honor of the church members that were in WWI, they also have a British Ensign (another of Canada's flags) also a modern Canadian Flag (Maple Leaf) on the other side of the Church they have a Christian Flag. Also many stained glass memorials for the boys that fell in battle! BUT the church focus is on Jesus Christ with stained glass depictions of many Bible verses and stories.
-This said: The church is made up people/families and with that many paople have gone to fight for freedom (better than the option of us all speaking nazi in 2007 here in canada) so the place that these families felt was a place of respect and honour was at their local church. Right or Wrong God will judge the intent and reason behind peoples motives and actions.

-If this item was of crutial importance there would be guidence from Scripture and or SOP. Do we worship the flag?? Or do we show respect to it and for what it stands for?? (the flag will obviously stand for different things for different people) ifthe flag offended someone I would wonder why!

-At the last Triennial session (now quadraniel sp? ) the provincial flags of NB, NS and PEI as well as the Canadian flag was brought into the Moncton Church Sanctuary by the Conference office staff to be displayed for the session. They left them there for a long time, and many people commented that the flags were a nice thing to have in Church.
-This is a very interesting topic and I look forward to further discussion on this topic.

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: D R] #91763
09/07/07 04:40 PM
09/07/07 04:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Is there anything anywhere in our church that speaks against flags in our church?

Daryl smile

Re: American Flag in the Sanctuary? [Re: Daryl] #91765
09/07/07 05:22 PM
09/07/07 05:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
flag waving in church generally increases during times of war.

And vice versa. During WWII the Soviet Union opened churches and encouraged people to attend.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!