HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9144
03/30/02 07:19 AM
03/30/02 07:19 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Most Adventists seem to think that the prophetic gift will not exist in the end time church apart from the writings of Ellen White. The thinking is that there were no prophets after the death of the Apostles, until Ellen White, and there will be none after her.

Really? Church history records that under the inspiration of the spirit the saints prophesied after the death of the Apostles. For example, accurate prophetic pronouncements were one of the things the persecuted Covenanters of Scotland were known for.

What about scripture? When Paul admonishes the Corinthians to pray for spiritual gifts, does he exclude prophesy. Just the opposite!

quote:
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual [gifts], but rather [especially] that ye may prophesy. ICorinthians 14:1

14:31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. ICorinthians 14:31

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. ICorinthians 14:39

Apparently some in Paul's day were discouraging speaking in tongues. Today, prophesy is discouraged. Interesting.

But aren't we the church with the Elijah message? Elijah started the schools of the prophets. Prophecy is something to be encouraged, something to be taught and nurtured. When Joshua gave Moses the report that some were prophesying in the camp and asked him to make them stop, Moses said, on the contrary, I wish to God that all his people were prophets!!

quote:
And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, [and] that the Lord would put his spirit upon them! Numbers 11:29

[ March 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Shipowick ]

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9145
04/01/02 04:40 AM
04/01/02 04:40 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
"...would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them." Numbers 11:29

"Thus the message of the third angel will be proclaimed. As the time comes for it to be given with greatest power, the Lord will work through humble instruments, leading the minds of those who consecrate themselves to His service. The laborers will be qualified rather by the unction of His Spirit than by the training of literary institutions. Men of faith and prayer will be constrained to go forth with holy zeal, declaring the words which God gives them..." GC 606

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9146
04/02/02 06:12 PM
04/02/02 06:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Prophet? In what sense? Like Paul or John? Ellen White was more like Paul than like John. Do we need another prophet like Ellen White? What would they say that she hasn't already said? And do we need another prophet like John? Do we need more symbolic messages portraying the future?

I'm just asking questions. I don't pretend to have the answers.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9147
04/02/02 11:54 PM
04/02/02 11:54 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Paul and John were not only prophets, they were also apostles. As apostles, they were the foundation stones of the early church.

The prophetic gift ranks below apostleship. Whereas apostleship indicates leadership and authority in doctrinal matters effecting the entire body of the church, the prophetic gift is often more of a local matter, bringing comfort to the saints. Philip's four daughters seem to have had just the prophetic gift.

I'm thinking more along those lines when I ask the question of whether the prophetic gift is still alive. Another example of just the prophetic gift would be the many young men from the different schools of the prophets who came to meet Elijah on the day he was translated, all of them supernaturally aware that he would be taken from them shortly.

But will there also be end-time apostles? Aren't the gifts irrevokable, Mike? I'm quite confident there will be apostles because we're told that tremendous new truths will come to us. We need the gift of apostleship because the times require the insight of a John and the decisiveness of a Paul.

Personnally its hard for me to imagine the 144,000 with only a limited number of the gifts. If apostleship was granted with the early rain, how could it be withheld at the more abundant latter rain?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9148
04/03/02 03:13 AM
04/03/02 03:13 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Then it would appear that you have answered your own question.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9149
04/04/02 04:05 AM
04/04/02 04:05 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I can't tell from your comments what you think Greg.

This area scares most of us. How many SDA's are praying 'earnestly' for the prophetic gift? But shouldn't we be?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9150
04/04/02 04:16 AM
04/04/02 04:16 AM
R
Remnant8  Offline
Posting New Member
USA
This is interesting topic. But, frankly, For most part, this church has not heeded the prophet has given to this church.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9151
04/03/02 06:54 PM
04/03/02 06:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Mark, you're right. The prophetic gift would certainly be helpful at times. I'm just not sure how it would help me personally? I can't think of any way in which my life would be improved if a prophet lived in my area. We have so much truth recorded in the Bible and the SOP which has not been properly appreciated that I can't imagine God sharing more? Do you have any suggestions?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9152
04/04/02 06:37 AM
04/04/02 06:37 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
The Testimonies were given to help us know how to apply simple Bible truths to our lives. God determined that we needed more of the gift of prophecy to help us and assist us in our understanding of truth. We could use it now to assist us again. We have lots of truth but unless the Spirit opens our minds (Luke 24:44-45; John 20:22) we can look at it, read it, and still not understand it enough to put it into action.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9153
04/04/02 07:06 PM
04/04/02 07:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Maybe we need a prophet to explain the truth about conversion and rebirth?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9154
04/06/02 10:46 PM
04/06/02 10:46 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Speaking about the gift of prophecy in the church today, Morris Venden writes:

quote:

Certainly Ephesians 4:14 is very meaningful here: “that we . . . Be no more children, tossed to and fro. . . [by] every wind of doctrine”. God had a specific purpose for giving us the gift called the gift of prophecy. He gave it to guide and unify the church. In the history of the Christian church, including the Old Testament, there were prophets available when the church was close to God: and when the church wasn’t close to God, the voices of the prophets ceased. That’s a very interesting trend!. . . . Sometimes we say in the Adventist Church that we have the gift of prophecy. No, we don’t. We had the gift. We used to have it. The gift of prophecy is a present-tense thing, not a past-tense thing. Think about that carefully. This is biblically true. So the absence of spiritual gifts - all of them - really says something to us about our need for revival. Morris Venden God Says, But I Think pages 57 and 58.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9155
04/06/02 11:34 PM
04/06/02 11:34 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Morris Venden is said to have said:

quote:

In the history of the Christian church, including the Old Testament, there were prophets available when the church was close to God: and when the church wasn’t close to God, the voices of the prophets ceased.

Is this actually true?

What was the state of the church when Elijah was a prophet?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9156
04/08/02 03:36 AM
04/08/02 03:36 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
I think it is nice that MV said things. I think that the basic issue is "do we want the prophet to guide us or do we think we can handle things on our own intellect?" I personally believe that the gift of prophecy is one of the gifts that God longs to give us. Most of us tend to ignore what God's prophet has said. The SOP has said that the last great attack would be to attempt to nullify the SOP. I think he is doing a great job. We certainly have a need for a prophet and it will be interesting to see how God attempts to solve our need and to see how we will treat the prophet when he or she arrives. Always, God has sent a prophet to work with His people. God does not change so the gift will resurrect. We will then see if we will change to embrace the gift.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9157
04/08/02 09:26 AM
04/08/02 09:26 AM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Hi guys,
I had built this earlier & saved it in WordPerfect & forgot about it. Whoops.

Don't forget the Eskimo prophet or the little bushman in Africa.(see LLT website for history)

Prophets in the Bible are not always of the same stature in their scope of mission or breadth of message.

Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles: (works & words kept in Scripture to guide till Jesus Comes again.)
Agabus the local prophet: (works & words largely hidden from view.)

Acts 21:
10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Moses leader out of Egypt:(sent & trained from childhood to lead Israel {overcomers} to the Promised Land.)

John the Baptist: (sent & trained to prepare a people to receive Christ @ His First Coming.)
Matthew 11:
7 ¶ And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses.
9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.
10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Elijah : ( sent to reform a backslidden nation to prepare the way for the lineage of Jesus, in the fullness of time.)

EGW: Notice the similarity to EGW’s mission - to Paul, Moses, Elijah, John the Baptist. Will another come of that stature of mission ? No evidence of that in the published SOP, or Scripture.

We as a people were supposed to finish the work before the American Civil War. See 1844 era {Ev 695.3, EGW would have been alive to lead till Jesus came.

Will other minor, local prophets come, possibly. Since the Eskimo prophet and the little bushman in Africa came in the 20th Century. How many even know about them ?

If any claim to have messages they will have to face the scrutiny of Scripture & SOP. 1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

Since EGW was a prophet & her work involved more than commonly associated with a prophet, what the Holy Ghost revealed through also becomes a bench-mark to test “new messengers” by.

Not a difficult chore for God, but impossible for phonies.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9158
04/09/02 03:22 AM
04/09/02 03:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Maybe we need a prophet to clarify certain unresolved issues, i.e., the ordaination of women, divorce, remarriage, and the truth about conversion. Anybody and everybody can quote the Bible and the SOP to prove their point. So maybe it's high time for a new prophet or two or three?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9159
04/09/02 10:17 PM
04/09/02 10:17 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Yes, I think we do need a prophet to help us. We didn't grow when we had the prophet among us and hopefully in this generation we would cherish the gift if it were to walk among us again. We could use some help to get some of these issues solved and settled. But I am sad to say that most people would ignore it and that is one of the reasons that it is not as manifest as it has been in the past. But when the shaking is finishing we will be in a state to praise God for His gracious gift and all the other gifts will follow.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9160
04/10/02 01:04 AM
04/10/02 01:04 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I'm glad to see people are willing to entertain the idea. I hope a large number are also willing to take the admonition "earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy" at face value. Elijah wasn't satisfied with one or two. He wanted schools full of them.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9161
04/10/02 02:22 AM
04/10/02 02:22 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
It would be nice if we had schools of the prophets today. I suppose that seminaries are the general idea but I think that the book Education and Prophets and Kings would create schools that would look and sound significantly different than what we have now. But the same issue would be present and that would be would we, the church, listen to sons of the prophets? Or would we pat them on the head, say that they were sincere and then ignore them?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9162
04/10/02 05:01 AM
04/10/02 05:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I wonder if the shaking can happen without a prophet to solve and settle our unresolved issues, especially the truth about conversion? Since both liberals and conservatives alike disagree among their respective groups what is the truth about rebirth - can we really expect the shaking to happen? What would shake the church if we don't have the truth about conversion?

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9163
04/10/02 10:12 PM
04/10/02 10:12 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
As God continues to develop our thinking and experience sooner or later people will be shaken out. The shaking out is occurring right now and is occurring on this board. Opposing concepts are developed and then presented and each person will read and then decide what they are to do with these thoughts. Their decisions will either bring them closer to Jesus or farther away. That is a shaking.
A true prophet would initiate a major shaking in the church today. We would no longer be able to hide behind political correctness and niceness. Just like the people wanted to stone Moses so they would want to stone the prophet or draw closer to the truth and to Jesus. The "middle ground" would disappear and the shaking will have accomplished its purpose.

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9164
04/11/02 01:20 AM
04/11/02 01:20 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Amen! And yet it is very sad when members refuse the truth as it is in Jesus because it cuts across one of their favorite sins. I do not look forward to the major shaking EGW was shown in vision. But on the other hand I realize it must come before Jesus can return. But... God help us!

Re: Will there be prophets post Ellen White in the church? #9165
04/11/02 04:56 AM
04/11/02 04:56 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Let us pray that we get shaken before probation closes. Let us pray that we get shaken in and not out! "For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel(the SDA church) among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the LEAST GRAIN fall upon the earth." Amos 9:9

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!