HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,656
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93071
11/24/07 07:55 AM
11/24/07 07:55 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Tom,

If I know beforehand what my choice will be, does this mean I don't have free will?

No, not as long as you still can do something other than what you know beforehand. The reason for this difference is that your beforehand knowledge is not perfect as Gods is. You may for instance know beforehand that if the need ever arises, you would take a bullet to save your children. But when the day unfortunately arrived, you stumbled as you tried to throw yourself to shield the children and never ended up taking the bullet. You "knew", but it didnt go just that way.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93074
11/24/07 08:38 PM
11/24/07 08:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom,

If I know beforehand what my choice will be, does this mean I don't have free will?

Rosangela, the problem is not epistemological, but ontological. Knowledge does not affect free will in any way. The way things are in reality does.

Whether God, or anyone else, knows that there is only one thing you can do in the future does not in the least impact your free will. The fact that there is only one thing you can do does.

You may think and feel like there is more than one thing you can do, but this is just ignorance. In reality, there is only one thing you can do (which is what God has seen you will do; but, again, bear in mind the problem is not that God sees what you will do, but that it is seeable).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93078
11/25/07 01:00 AM
11/25/07 01:00 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Whether God, or anyone else, knows that there is only one thing you can do in the future does not in the least impact your free will. The fact that there is only one thing you can do does.

How did you come to the conclusion that there is only one thing that I can do? Wasn't it because God knows what I will do?

Quote:
(which is what God has seen you will do; but, again, bear in mind the problem is not that God sees what you will do, but that it is seeable).

Seeable or knowable?

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93079
11/25/07 01:12 AM
11/25/07 01:12 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
No, not as long as you still can do something other than what you know beforehand. The reason for this difference is that your beforehand knowledge is not perfect as Gods is. You may for instance know beforehand that if the need ever arises, you would take a bullet to save your children. But when the day unfortunately arrived, you stumbled as you tried to throw yourself to shield the children and never ended up taking the bullet. You "knew", but it didnt go just that way.

Well, suppose that my alarm clock will ring at 6 o'clock tomorrow morning, and that I know I will get up because I have to work. When I do get up at 6, did I have free will or not? Or suppose that I have to communicate my decision tomorrow if I will accept a new job or not. I've already decided to accept it, therefore I know my reply will be yes. When I do answer yes, did I have free will or not? I'm not speaking about my whole life, but just about a specific event.
In the example you gave, I threw myself. The fact that I stumbled has nothing to do with my decision. Free will has to do with the decision, not with the result.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93084
11/25/07 03:32 AM
11/25/07 03:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom:Whether God, or anyone else, knows that there is only one thing you can do in the future does not in the least impact your free will. The fact that there is only one thing you can do does.

R:How did you come to the conclusion that there is only one thing that I can do? Wasn't it because God knows what I will do?

Indirectly. The direct reason that you cannot do something different is because there is only one thing that can happen. Here's the logic:

A.If God knows something is certain to happen, then that thing is certain to happen.
B.If a thing is certain to happen, then you can't do something different than that which is certain to happen.

B. is why you can't do something different than what will happen, not A. A is just a way of getting to B. But it needn't be because God knows what you will do. If I could see the future, and see what you would do, then B would still be true, and the conclusion from B would follow as well. Or if nobody saw the future, B would still be true, and the conclusion from B would still follow, even if nobody knew about it.

Knowing that something is the way it is does not change the way the thing is. That God knows the future is a certain way is irrelevant. That the future is that way is the important thing.

Quote:

Quote:
(which is what God has seen you will do; but, again, bear in mind the problem is not that God sees what you will do, but that it is seeable).

Seeable or knowable?

Either. To see is to perceive is to know.

If the one thing that you will do is seeable, then it must be possible to see (or know) what that one thing you will do is. If it is possible to know what that one thing is, it must be the case that there is a one thing that you will do.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93087
11/25/07 10:13 AM
11/25/07 10:13 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:

Well, suppose that my alarm clock will ring at 6 o'clock tomorrow morning, and that I know I will get up because I have to work. When I do get up at 6, did I have free will or not? Or suppose that I have to communicate my decision tomorrow if I will accept a new job or not. I've already decided to accept it, therefore I know my reply will be yes. When I do answer yes, did I have free will or not? I'm not speaking about my whole life, but just about a specific event.
In the example you gave, I threw myself. The fact that I stumbled has nothing to do with my decision. Free will has to do with the decision, not with the result.
Free will has to do with the decision, correct. A future that is set has to do with results. You chose to throw yourself and you did, thats free will. The future contained that you would succeed, or not, and take the bullet, but you didn't, thats a future of posibilities. The future contained that you would succeed in taking the bullet and you did, thats a future set which must work out in one particular way rather than in any other way.

That you set your alarm clock at 6 am and promptly go up when it awakes you is a choise you do. Why is that? Because you could also chose to snooze or to turn the alarm clock off and stay at home all day. It is the options that make it into a choise. If you fell out of an airplane, continuing to fall down towards whatever land or water the plane was flying over is not a choise because there is nothing you can do to change the fact that you will continue to fall until you hit something solid. In a reality where the the future is all set, geting up when the alarm clock rings at 6 am is no different from continuing to fall once you jumped from the airplane. You could no less do anything else but get up just at that time than you could start to fall upwards or float freely in the air rather than continue downwards.

When you do answer yes, you do have a free will, because you have the option to drag your feet and fail to meet the deadline. You really wanted the job, but things just got so busy that you forgot to confirm your application and the job went to someone else who did not fail the deadline. In a future where every minute detail is allready known, if it is known that you will confirm your application on time, then you could not possibly fail to do it within deadline time.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93089
11/25/07 01:55 PM
11/25/07 01:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
If it is possible to know what that one thing is, it must be the case that there is a one thing that you will do.

I'm not understanding your point, or Thomas'. In the example I gave to Thomas, I know my answer will be Yes, therefore there is no way it can't be No, therefore the future is set. But I still have free will.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93095
11/25/07 05:22 PM
11/25/07 05:22 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
In your example the future is set because you have made up your mind about it. And if something happened to prevent you from getting your way, then something else would happen and not that which you had made up your mind about. A number of things could happen to keep you from having your will done, an example from the more unlikely part of the spectrum is a lightning striking you turning you into the human cucumber.

But if the future is set because it is the nature of the future to be set, then if a lightning struck you, it would trow you in the direction you have to go to accomplish that which the future contains for you, and you would land softly on a birdfeather pillow so you could easily get up going towards your goal again.

Galatians 2

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93096
11/25/07 05:31 PM
11/25/07 05:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
2. Didn't you say that Lucifer's knowledge of God's character included those attributes demonstrated on the cross, therefore, the cross would not have served to save him, and neither was it necessary to pardon him?

I don't think I said this in exactly these words, but I communicated this general idea. It stands to reason from the DA quote, it seems to me:

Quote:
To him as to no other created being was given a revelation of God's love. Understanding the character of God, knowing His goodness, Satan chose to follow his own selfish, independent will. This choice was final. There was no more that God could do to save him. But man was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (DA 761, 762)

Here she says that to Lucifer was given a special revelation of God's love. She talks about the cross, and how man did not know God's love and character. So the implication is that Satan did know these things, isn't it?

MM: I'm not so sure it is implied. Lucifer wrestled a long time with the new and strange thoughts and feelings that were tormenting him. If he was already thoroughly familiar with God's character, why did he struggle so hard and long to determine if such things were right and true?

Quote:
3. Nevertheless, you also seem to believe God does know ahead of time certain choices and their outcomes, that of all the many possible choices and outcomes, He knows, in certain cases, precisely which one will play out. I would like to know - how?

God sees every possible future. Say you prefer strawberry to vanilla or chocolate. Every time in your life after the age of 5, you choose strawberry. God, seeing every possible future, would see that you always choose strawberry over chocolate or vanilla. So He could see that it would be 100% certain that you, given this choice after the age of 5, would opt for strawberry.

On the other hand, say you like strawberry and cherry equally well. God would see that you might choose strawberry, or you might choose cherry. So in this case your decision would not be certain.

TE: So He could see that it would be 100% certain that you, given this choice after the age of 5, would opt for strawberry.

MM: But this doesn't explain "how" God can know this an eternity before I am born, before there was a FMA. Also, the fact God knows it implies, using your logic, I do not have free will.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93098
11/25/07 06:11 PM
11/25/07 06:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
But were they viable options? For examle, did God consider, even for a nonsecond, to let mankind perish in his sins?

Sometimes I wonder if you pay attention to the things I post. (In fairness, you may wonder the same thing about me.) I've posted the following quite a number of times:

Quote:
Said the angel, "Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no." It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His darling Son to die for them.(EW 127)

Just previous to this, she speaks of how Jesus went in to the Father three times, and after the third time the Father agreed to let Christ come. Don't you remember this?

Quote:
Said the angel, "Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no. It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His beloved Son to die for him." {SR 45.1}

What was the content and nature of God's struggle? Why did He struggle?

Well, here it is! How about that! (I responded to the first part without reading all the way through).

Ok, in answer to your question, it was a real struggle, a normal struggle, just the sort of struggle that you and I have. Here, I'll quote the previous part that speaks of the meeting Jesus had with the Father.

Quote:
Sorrow filled heaven as it was realized that man was lost and that the world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and that there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I then saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance. Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, "He is in close converse with His Father." The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father. Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father we could see His person. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with a loveliness which words cannot describe.

Notice how before the resolution, on Jesus' face there was anxiety, and afterwards He was calm. Unless Jesus and the Father were just putting on a show for the angels, this was a real decision that was being made; a real struggle was going on.

MM: Tom, you didn't address "why" God struggled. Why was it a struggle for God "whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His beloved Son to die for him"?

Page 10 of 25 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 24 25

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!