HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93102
11/25/07 07:34 PM
11/25/07 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Here is what you said (above), "... God could know that you would prefer strawberry to vanilla in a certain instance (because you always do this) . . ."

This insight does not imply "God sees every possible future." Instead, it says there are times when "God could know". It was this insight that prompted me to ask, "How can He know what we "always do" [i.e. "prefer strawberry to vanilla"] under certain circumstances hundreds of years before we are born?"

Answering this question with "God sees every possible future" is confusing. Do you see what I mean?

TE: It shouldn't be confusing. God sees every possible future. In 10,000 possible future, you choose strawberry over vanilla or chocolate, so God is sure you will do this. However, 50% of the time you have a choice between strawberry and cherry you choose one, and 50% of the time you choose the other. God sees all these possibilities as well.

So if God were asked what you would do, He could say that in a certain case you would be 100% certain to choose strawberry (when your choices are strawberry, chocolate, or vanilla) but in the other case He would say you would either choose strawberry or cherry.

I don't see what's confusing here.

MM: It wouldn't be as confusing except for the fact I'm talking about God's knowledge of things an eternity before FMAs were created, before tastes preference have been demonstrated. You have yet to address this question.

Quote:
MM: Does "God has always known all things" include the things you say He cannot know? For example, you say God cannot know ahead of time how everything will play out because He does not which choices will be made under all circumstances.

TE: Sure, when I say that God knows all things, I mean all things that it makes logical sense to say that he knows, exactly what you mean when you say the same thing. The difference between us has to do with what we think it makes logical sense to say that God knows.

This is what I've been saying for quite a while now. The difference between our views does not concern God in any way. It concerns the content of the reality which God foresees.

MM: Does it make logical sense to say God knows an eternity ahead of time the flavor preferences of FMAs? If He knows such mundane things, why He doesn't know every choice and preference ahead of time? Why didn't He know Lucifer and A&E were going to rebel?

Quote:
MM: Sorry about the rocks and triangles, but I'm actually more interested in why you believe God can know some things about the future but not the rest of it. In other words, I'm asking about the "how" and "why". How can some things be "settled" (certain how it will play out) and the rest "unsettled" (uncertain how it will play out)? Why is it that way? What makes the future that way? I hope you see what I'm getting at. If not, I'll try to explain myself better.

TE: God knows all things about the future. There is nothing about the future which God does not know. God knows the future exactly as it is.

Your view (from my perspective) would have God know the future in some way which does not correspond to reality. It would be the equivalent of making God know white to be black. God cannot know white to be black because white is really white, not black. Similarly God cannot know the future to be like a T.V. rerun, something to be seen in hindsight, because that is not what the future is like.

As to why some things are settled, there are some decisions of which the result are certain. For example, if you say "I love you" to your wife, you may know with certainty that she will say, "I love you too." This would be an example of something settled.

Another example is that the sun will come up tomorrow.

A person's character may be such that it is certain how they will respond in a certain situation.

A person's preference may be such that it is certain how they will respond in a certain situation.

TE: God knows the future exactly as it is.

MM: Do you mean as many possibilities? If so, why, then, do you also say He knows ahead of time exactly how some things will (not might) play out?

TE: Your view (from my perspective) would have God know the future in some way which does not correspond to reality.

MM: Whose reality? Ours or God's? I cannot know with certainty what my wife is going to say or not say. But you say God does know with certainty, and that He has known an eternity before FMAs were created. How can God know a person's character an eternity before he/she is born?

Quote:
MM: Again here's what you wrote (above), "... sometimes decisions are uncertain while other times they aren't. For example, [1] God could know that you would prefer strawberry to vanilla in a certain instance (because you always do this) but not that you will [wear] navy blue to [or] black (because sometimes you do one, and sometimes the other)."

This insight leads me to think it has something to do with God. Do you see why it would?

TE: No, I don't see why you would think this has anything to do with God, when it seems clear that it has to do with you. [2] God knows you perfectly. [3] He sees everything you might do. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing the confusion here.

MM: Tom, three times you refer to what God knows. And yet cannot understand why I think it has something to do with God? Why wouldn't I think it has something to do with God?

Quote:
MM: However, you also seem to believe God knows ahead of time which choices certain FMAs will make, and that He has known it for an eternity before they were created or born. Are you suggesting God didn't know ahead of time that Lucifer, in particular, would (not might) rebel and that he would deceive A&E, in particular, into sinning? YOu haven't answered this question, in particular, with a yes or no, so I don't know what you believe.

TE: I don't know what you're getting at in the first part of the paragraph. I don't understand why you're asking the second question. You should know, if you've been paying any attention, exactly what my response to this question would be. Why do you not know what my response would be? (Hint: I've said many times now I don't believe God would create a being He was certain would sin).

MM: Okay, so you do believe God has known for an eternity certain choices certain FMAs will make (i.e. flavor preferences) but that He definitely did not know Lucifer would rebel or that he would deceive A&E into rebelling.

Quote:

MM: "From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate." (DA 22)

TE: MM, you should really take into account *all* that EGW writes on a subject, not just consider one thing. She writes many things which make it very clear that her view of the future is not like yours. For example, she wrote that "all heaven was imperiled for our redemption." You, with your view, could not logically say such a thing.

She wrote that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. You, with your view, could not logically say such a thing.

She wrote that Christ could have come before now. She wrote that it is our privilege not only to look forward to his coming, but to hasten it.

You keep quoting this one thing from DA, but for this one thing, which you think supports her seeing the future like you do, I could quote 20 things (or more) which show she didn't see the future like you do.

But I'll just quote one, which is dealing with exactly the same subject that the DA quote is:

Quote:
The plan that should be carried out upon the defection of any of the high intelligences of heaven,--this is the secret, the mystery which has been hid from ages. And an offering was prepared in the eternal purposes to do the very work which God has done for fallen humanity.(ST April 28, 1890.)

Please notice that she writes the plan that "should" be carried out upon the defection of "any" of the high intelligences of heaven. This is conditional language.

There is a plethora of evidence that EGW saw the future as conditional, not as settled.

MM: The problem I see with your logic is that it assumes your quotes prove God did not know beforehand how these particular events would play out. You believe this in spite of also believing God knows ahead of time how certain mundane events will play out. How can God know how mundane things will play out but not know how important things will play out?

Quote:
MM: Is that why He chose to create them, because He didn't know they were going to rebel? Seems to me you've admitted that God knew they might rebel but that the likelihood was so slight He thought the risk was worth it, that is, He took the risk hoping they wouldn't rebel but knowing He could implement the plan of salvation to resolve the problem.

TE: God created beings to love and be loved. The creation of such beings necessitates that they be created with free will. Having free will, there was the possibility that His creatures might choose not to love Him. Love is risky.

MM: How does this answer explain why God chose to create them in spite of knowing they might rebel?

Quote:
MM: If not, then why not? That is, if God didn't know they were going to rebel, why didn't He know?

TE: Why should He know? If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen. That would mean that there would be an explanation for the existence of sin.

MM: So, did God know they might rebel or not?

TE: I just said "Why should He know? If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen. That would mean that there would be an explanation for the existence of sin." Why is this not clear?

MM: If He knew there was a slight chance they would rebel, does that mean there is a reason why they rebelled, namely, because God knew it might happen?

TE: No.

MM: Okay. But why? Why couldn't He know it would or would not happen?

TE: He did know it would or would not happen.

TE: If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen.

MM: Consider the case of Judas. Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him. Is this the reason why it happened? Based on your logic, we are forced to answer, Yes.

Quote:
MM: In the past you've suggested that the cross explains why God can know FMAs will not rebel in the future. However, you've also suggested Lucifer was, before he embarked upon his downward course, already familiar with the attributes of God's character that were demonstrated on the cross. So, why didn't it (Lucifer's comprehensive knowledge of God's character) enable God to know Lucifer wouldn't rebel? I'm asking this question again because I don't remember the answer.

TE: God sees every possible future. In none of the possible futures do creatures rebel after the final judgment. As to why they don't rebel, we are told by Ellen White (not me!) that the cross safeguarded the universe.

As to why Satan rebelled, even though He knew God's love and character so well, I can't say. However, God foresaw the possibility that this would happen. (or, to say the same thing another way, there were possible futures which God saw where this took place).

MM: Why, then, should we be convinced FMAs will not rebel in the future? Since it did not prevent Lucifer from rebelling, how can we be so sure it won't happen again? By the way, answering, "Because God said so", doesn't cut it. If that's all it takes, why didn't He just say so in the beginning and circumvent the GC?

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93107
11/25/07 09:09 PM
11/25/07 09:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Hopping? Oops! Some typos can be incredibly embrassing, eh! Fortunately, this one was just funny.

Why isn't the concept of "hope" appropriate? "He hoped they would be sweet, but bitter grapes were all it produced." (CEV) If He knew FMAs might rebel, why wouldn't He hope they wouldn't?

"Hope" can be OK, depending upon what the intent is. A lot of time "hope" implies cluelessness, which would not be appropriate to apply to God. I think the CEV translation is fine. For our conversations, I would prefer "expect," (a point I first made a long time ago, but I won't hold you accountable because I forget a lot of things too).

MM: If He knew FMAs might rebel, why wouldn't He "hope" they wouldn't? How can He "not expect it" since He knew it was a possibility? How is "hope they wouldn't" and "not expect it" different in light of the fact God knew it might happen?

Quote:
TE: From your perspective, I would add the possibility of creating as the first humans beings that God foresaw would not sin. Or do you think that any human being that God could possibly have created would sin?

MM: I've already explained why I believe the two options listed above were the only ones available to God. It's just that you disagree.

Could God have created a human being who wouldn't sin? That is, was it possible for Him to do so? Or would any human being that God created as our first parents have sinned?

MM: According to you, possessing free will means sinning is possible, thus God cannot create a FMA He knows will not sin (although you do not apply this rule to post-GC FMAs, though I'm still not sure why). From my perspective, the way God did things was the right and best way. Other options were merely theoretical since God only doe that which is right and best.

Quote:
MM: And when it came to redeeming mankind after he rebelled I assume we both agree God's options were two, 1) Implement the plan of salvation, and 2) Not implement the plan of salvation. Or, do you believe there were other options? If so, what might they be?

TE: The Plan of Salvation was the only way to save man.

MM: That's because you choose to believe it.

TE: Because inspiration says so!

MM: How do you know there weren't other options God decided against?

TE: I just know what inspiration says about this.

MM: After all, wasn't it you that wrote, "First of all, there is no reason to believe that a perfect being only has one option available."

TE: There was only one way to save man. That doesn't mean God didn't think about possible alternatives.

MM: Possible alternatives! That's what I'm talking about. Why didn't God opt for one of those possible alternatives? Was it because they weren't viable options, that they were only theoretical options?

You say the reason you believe there was only "one" way to save man is because that's what Inspiration says. Well, with this answer in mind, why do you believe there are many possible ways the future can play out when Inspiration only tells us about one way?

For example, the Bible depicts Jesus succeeding on the cross. It doesn't tell us Jesus might fail. So, why do you believe God didn't know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross? Why don't you believe only what Inspiration says in this case?

Quote:
MM: Please read again what I wrote. I think you will find that I said God did indeed have options. Do you see what I mean? Here it is again:

"Of course, I believe there was only one legitimate, viable option available to God. All options, other than the one God chose to go with, were only theoretical. Why? Because God is perfect, omnipresent, and omniscient. He can only do that which is right and best and perfect, and by virtue of the definition of "right and best and perfect" there can be only one right and best and perfect way."

TE: My points were valid, given what you wrote here. If God always has only one viable option, then He didn't have any other viable options in regards to creating other creatures as FMAs. But you said that God "clearly" had options available to Him, because He created different types of FMAs.

This is a contradiction.

Also, again, there is no reason whatsoever to assume that there cannot be more than one option which are both fine. For example, let's say you're going to have a child, and you can choose to have a boy or a girl. Why should only one choice be acceptable? Even if you were perfect, both choices would still be acceptable.

It's only in the case where one option is better than another that God must choose a given option.

I'm curious to know why you even think it makes sense to assert that there is only one viable option available to a perfect being in every situation. I understand the assertion that God never chooses something which is worse than a different available option, but I have no idea why you would think that there can never be more than one equivalent option.

MM: Speaking specifically of whether or not to create Lucifer and A&E, God's options were only two, 1) to create them and deal with the GC, 2) not to create them and not deal with the GC, with the second option being only theoretical since it wasn't the right or best option as evidenced by the fact God didn't opt for it.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93108
11/25/07 09:17 PM
11/25/07 09:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Why do you think God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they would rebel or in spite of knowing they might rebel? Either way, why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

TV: Its one of the mysteries of our faith. Together with the trinity, the incarnation, the creation is something we do not understand but believe explains reality non the less.

MM: Thomas, does this answer explain my view as well as yours?

TV: What this answer explains is mainly that I given the answers I have thus far but that I still believe it to be true non the less.

MM: I'm not sure which way you believe, Thomas.

1. God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they would rebel. Why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

2. God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they might rebel. Why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93109
11/25/07 10:05 PM
11/25/07 10:05 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
But if the future is set because it is the nature of the future to be set, then if a lightning struck you, it would trow you in the direction you have to go to accomplish that which the future contains for you, and you would land softly on a birdfeather pillow so you could easily get up going towards your goal again.

What you mean by this is that the future is determined by God, which is not what I believe.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93110
11/25/07 10:10 PM
11/25/07 10:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding taste preferences, I just gave that as an example. It seems possible to me that this could be something determined by one's DNA. God would know the DNA of a possible creature that would exist, as well as its parents and environment, which would allow Him to infer a great many things, while other things would remain yet to be determined.

Quote:

MM: Do you mean as many possibilities? If so, why, then, do you also say He knows ahead of time exactly how some things will (not might) play out?

Some things are known, or settled, and some not. For example, God knows the sun will rise each morning.

Quote:

TE: Your view (from my perspective) would have God know the future in some way which does not correspond to reality.

MM: Whose reality? Ours or God's?

Reality is what it is. It is ontological, not epistemological, which is to say, it is what it is, not what one perceives it to be. Or to say it yet another way, perceiving reality to be a certain way does not change the way it really is.

There is only one reality, not billions of different reality corresponding to each person.

God, being perfect, perceives reality as it actually is.

Quote:
I cannot know with certainty what my wife is going to say or not say. But you say God does know with certainty, and that He has known an eternity before FMAs were created. How can God know a person's character an eternity before he/she is born?

God knows a person's possible character.

Quote:
MM: Tom, three times you refer to what God knows. And yet cannot understand why I think it has something to do with God? Why wouldn't I think it has something to do with God?

Because the issue is ontological, not epistemological.

Quote:
MM: Okay, so you do believe God has known for an eternity certain choices certain FMAs will make (i.e. flavor preferences) but that He definitely did not know Lucifer would rebel or that he would deceive A&E into rebelling.

You missed the point of my explanation, it looks to me. You were asking me how God could know certain things with certainty, but not others. I gave the flavor example of an explanation as to how this could be the case, and you went off on a tangent about how God could know flavor preferences, which has nothing to do with the point I was making or the explanation. I'm not saying anything at all about God's ability to know our flavor preferences. I'm simply providing an example so you can understand how God could know some things without certainty but not others.

Regarding Lucifer, God knew he might rebel, and might deceive Adam and Eve.

Quote:
MM: The problem I see with your logic is that it assumes your quotes prove God did not know beforehand how these particular events would play out.

I'm not assuming the quotes prove God did not know definitely how these things would play out. I'm either making inferences from the quotes, or simply presenting the quotes to speak for themselves.

An assumption is something which accepted as unproved, like an axiom.

Quote:
You believe this in spite of also believing God knows ahead of time how certain mundane events will play out. How can God know how mundane things will play out but not know how important things will play out?

You'd have to be more specific here. God knows with certainty how some things will play out, because there is enough information to make that determination. Other things do not have as much information. Another way of putting it is that some things are settled, and some not. The things which are settled may be so because of the laws of physics, because God will take action and foresees what He will do, because a person's character is fixed, or for any number of reasons. It has nothing to do with an event being mundane or not.

Quote:
TE: God created beings to love and be loved. The creation of such beings necessitates that they be created with free will. Having free will, there was the possibility that His creatures might choose not to love Him. Love is risky.

MM: How does this answer explain why God chose to create them in spite of knowing they might rebel?

You mean why didn't God decide not to create them, rather than take the risk involved in creating them? God preferred to have the created beings around than not, notwithstanding the risk involved.

Quote:

TE: If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen.

MM: Consider the case of Judas. Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him. Is this the reason why it happened? Based on your logic, we are forced to answer, Yes.

Both your question and your reasoning make no sense to me here. Please flesh this out.

Look at what I wrote and what you wrote. I wrote "If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen." You wrote, "Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him. Is this the reason why it happened?"

There is no reason to conclude that because the fact that if God knows something will certainly happen, that means there is a reason that the thing certain to happen will implies God's knowing the reason the thing will happen is a cause for it to happen.

What are you thinking here?

Quote:
MM: Why, then, should we be convinced FMAs will not rebel in the future?

God has told us sin will not arise again. Don't you believe Him? Why do you need to be convinced? Why isn't His word sufficient?

Quote:
Since it did not prevent Lucifer from rebelling, how can we be so sure it won't happen again? By the way, answering, "Because God said so", doesn't cut it. If that's all it takes, why didn't He just say so in the beginning and circumvent the GC?

I don't know what you're talking about. Why didn't God just say what? That sin wouldn't arise again? How could the GC be circumvented when it is the very thing that made it possible for God to say that sin will not arise again?

Let's go back to the other point I've been making in response to this question. In regards to Lucifer, God foresaw that there were possible futures in which Lucifer would rebel. In regards to FMAs in the future, God does not foresee any possible future in which rebellion occurs again.

What is the difficulty in understanding this? I don't understand why you keep bringing this up. The situation after the Great Controversy has played out is obviously different than it was before it began. You see that, don't you?

Why would it be in the least surprising (given my perspective, of course) that God would foresee that sin will not arise again? That was the whole point of the Plan of Salvation!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93118
11/25/07 11:50 PM
11/25/07 11:50 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
But if the future is set because it is the nature of the future to be set, then if a lightning struck you, it would trow you in the direction you have to go to accomplish that which the future contains for you, and you would land softly on a birdfeather pillow so you could easily get up going towards your goal again.

What you mean by this is that the future is determined by God, which is not what I believe.
Not at all. What I mean by that is that the future is (if it is of the kind that already exists perfectly) determined wether God exists or not.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93119
11/25/07 11:53 PM
11/25/07 11:53 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Quote:
MM: Why do you think God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they would rebel or in spite of knowing they might rebel? Either way, why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

TV: Its one of the mysteries of our faith. Together with the trinity, the incarnation, the creation is something we do not understand but believe explains reality non the less.

MM: Thomas, does this answer explain my view as well as yours?

TV: What this answer explains is mainly that I given the answers I have thus far but that I still believe it to be true non the less.

MM: I'm not sure which way you believe, Thomas.

1. God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they would rebel. Why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

2. God chose to create FMAs in spite of knowing they might rebel. Why didn't He simply opt not to create them in the first place?

God created, and God knew about the risk of rebellion. Despite of the risk for this unlikely event, God unilaterally choose to create for purposes which He has not revealed to us.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93136
11/26/07 05:53 PM
11/26/07 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: God created, and God knew about the risk of rebellion. Despite of the risk for this unlikely event, God unilaterally choose to create for purposes which He has not revealed to us.

MM: Thomas, I also believe God has not clearly revealed to us why He created FMAs in spite of knowing they would rebel. Here's what I do know:

DA 22
From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. {DA 22.2}

AG 129
The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93145
11/26/07 09:07 PM
11/26/07 09:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: Regarding taste preferences, I just gave that as an example. It seems possible to me that this could be something determined by one's DNA. God would know the DNA of a possible creature that would exist, as well as its parents and environment, which would allow Him to infer a great many things, while other things would remain yet to be determined.

MM: There are trillions of possible DNA combinations. Multiply this by trillions of FMAs and you arrive at astronomical varieties and possibilities.

Yet you believe God knows, with settled certainty, not only the genealogy of everyone but also things unique to each one, knowledge which is based on the trillions of different DNA combinations they could inherit and the trillions of different character traits they could develop, and that He has known these things an eternity before anyone existed.

In spite of all this you also believe God did not know Lucifer and A&E would rebel. This anomaly blows me away, Tom. I don't see how anyone can believe it.

Quote:

TE: Some things are known, or settled, and some not. For example, God knows the sun will rise each morning.

MM: The sun is not a FMA. So, how can this insight help me understand how God can know some things with settled certainty and not the rest of it?

Quote:

MM: Whose reality? Ours or God's?

TE: Reality is what it is. It is ontological, not epistemological, which is to say, it is what it is, not what one perceives it to be. Or to say it yet another way, perceiving reality to be a certain way does not change the way it really is.

There is only one reality, not billions of different reality corresponding to each person.

God, being perfect, perceives reality as it actually is.

MM: Since the future, as we know it, is not yet a reality, how can anyone know anything about the future in terms of reality? Unless, of course, they exist outside of time. God existed before the advent of time, therefore, He is not bound by it.

Time began the moment God created FMAs. The future, a form of time, did not exist before the creation of FMAs. The advent of time, however, did not alter God, that is, it did not alter His omnipresence, His ability to be everywhere eternally.

Because of these things, God's reality is different than ours, that is, His knowledge of the future is different than ours. The truth, true knowledge, is the basis of reality. Since God knows everything about the future, even from your perspective, means God's reality is different than ours. His knowledge of the future and our knowledge of the future is worlds apart. Thus, His reality is different than ours. Right?

Quote:
MM: I cannot know with certainty what my wife is going to say or not say. But you say God does know with certainty, and that He has known an eternity before FMAs were created. How can God know a person's character an eternity before he/she is born?

TE: God knows a person's possible character.

MM: If God can only know ahead of time a person's possible character, not their actual character, how He know anything about anyone with settled certainty an eternity before they exist?

Quote:
MM: Tom, three times you refer to what God knows. And yet you cannot understand why I think it has something to do with God? Why wouldn't I think it has something to do with God?

TE: Because the issue is ontological, not epistemological.

MM: Why, then, do you keep referring to God's knowledge of the future?

Quote:

TE: You missed the point of my explanation, it looks to me. You were asking me how God could know certain things with certainty, but not others. I gave the flavor example of an explanation as to how this could be the case, and you went off on a tangent about how God could know flavor preferences, which has nothing to do with the point I was making or the explanation. I'm not saying anything at all about God's ability to know our flavor preferences. I'm simply providing an example so you can understand how God could know some things without certainty but not others.

Regarding Lucifer, God knew he might rebel, and might deceive Adam and Eve.

MM: Oh, okay, please forgive me. So, you believe God knows with settled certainty specific choices FMAs will make (i.e. flavor preferences) an eternity before they exist, but that He did not know with settled certainty Lucifer would rebel or that he would deceive A&E into rebelling.

Quote:
MM: The problem I see with your logic is that it assumes your quotes prove God did not know beforehand how these particular events would play out.

TE: I'm not assuming the quotes prove God did not know definitely how these things would play out. I'm either making inferences from the quotes, or simply presenting the quotes to speak for themselves. An assumption is something which accepted as unproved, like an axiom.

MM: The problem I see with your logic is that it infers your quotes prove God did not know beforehand how these particular events would play out.

Quote:
MM: You believe this in spite of also believing God knows ahead of time how certain mundane events will play out. How can God know how mundane things will play out but not know how important things will play out?

TE: You'd have to be more specific here. God knows with certainty how some things will play out, because there is enough information to make that determination. Other things do not have as much information. Another way of putting it is that some things are settled, and some not. The things which are settled may be so because of the laws of physics, because God will take action and foresees what He will do, because a person's character is fixed, or for any number of reasons. It has nothing to do with an event being mundane or not.

MM: I still don't know how can know some things with settled certainty an eternity before it happens and not other things. Your suggestion that it has to do with knowing their DNA and character an eternity before they exist doesn't make sense to me (from your perspective).

Quote:

TE: You mean why didn't God decide not to create them, rather than take the risk involved in creating them? God preferred to have the created beings around than not, notwithstanding the risk involved.[/quote]
MM: I mean, why didn't God leave uncreated the FMAs He knew might rebel?

Quote:

TE: Both your question and your reasoning make no sense to me here. Please flesh this out.

Look at what I wrote and what you wrote. I wrote "If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen." You wrote, "Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him. Is this the reason why it happened?"

There is no reason to conclude that because the fact that if God knows something will certainly happen, that means there is a reason that the thing certain to happen will implies God's knowing the reason the thing will happen is a cause for it to happen.

What are you thinking here?

MM: You wrote, "If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen." From this statement I hear you saying, If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it happened, that God knows the reason why they sinned, and if God knew why they sinned it would cease to be sin.

So, again, since Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him, does it mean there was some reason why it happened, that Jesus knew the reason why, therefore, it ceases to be sin?

Quote:
MM: Why, then, should we be convinced FMAs will not rebel in the future?

TE: God has told us sin will not arise again. Don't you believe Him? Why do you need to be convinced? Why isn't His word sufficient?

MM: Since it did not prevent Lucifer from rebelling, how can we be so sure it won't happen again? By the way, answering, "Because God said so", doesn't cut it. If that's all it takes, why didn't He just say so in the beginning and circumvent the GC?

TE: I don't know what you're talking about. Why didn't God just say what? That sin wouldn't arise again? How could the GC be circumvented when it is the very thing that made it possible for God to say that sin will not arise again?

MM: If God saying so is all it takes to convince us "the wages of sin is death" why didn't He just say so in the beginning and circumvent the GC? Also, your words imply the GC was necessary to guarantee rebellion will not reoccur. Was there no other way?

Quote:
TE: Let's go back to the other point I've been making in response to this question. In regards to Lucifer, God foresaw that there were possible futures in which Lucifer would rebel. In regards to FMAs in the future, God does not foresee any possible future in which rebellion occurs again.

What is the difficulty in understanding this? I don't understand why you keep bringing this up. The situation after the Great Controversy has played out is obviously different than it was before it began. You see that, don't you?

Why would it be in the least surprising (given my perspective, of course) that God would foresee that sin will not arise again? That was the whole point of the Plan of Salvation!

MM: Your only legitimate basis for believing rebellion will not reoccur is God's saying so. Where you and I differ is how and why God knows it will not happen again.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: vastergotland] #93146
11/26/07 09:15 PM
11/26/07 09:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Not at all. What I mean by that is that the future is (if it is of the kind that already exists perfectly) determined wether God exists or not.

To determine means "to establish or affect the nature, kind, or quality of; fix." This means that, for the future to be determined, someone has to determine it. The future cannot establish its own nature or kind, or fix itself. Someone has to do that, and this being could only be God. However I don't believe that the individual future is determined, that is, that God decides how the future will play out for each person.
If you mean predicted, OK, I believe the future can be predicted by God, but I don't believe this affects anyone's free will. Jesus predicted that Peter would deny Him, however Peter denied Jesus not because Jesus predicted it, but because he was overcome by Satan's temptation.
And of course I believe that God can really make me land softly on a birdfeather pillow, but miracles, also, don't affect free will. Jesus made dozens of miracles, but this didn't affect anyone's free will - some accepted Him, and some rejected Him.

Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!