HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93390
12/11/07 06:21 PM
12/11/07 06:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: God freely forgives is a pillar of Jesus' teaching.

MM: The reason God can rightfully and legally justify forgiving repentant sinners is because 1) Jesus paid their sin debt of death, and 2) they are dead to sin and awake to righteousness, that is, they are abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

Where did Jesus teach this?

Quote:
TE: We cannot have the full, rich relationship with God thinking that He will only forgive us if His Son dies to satisfy Him ....

MM: God is able and willing to forgive us for the reasons stated above. It has absolutely nothing to do with satisfying a lust for revenge. Justice demands that sin be not MERELY pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. That's the way it is. I cannot explain it, but I accept it.

This isn't a good idea, to accept something you don't understand (if you can't explain something, you don't understand it). This is also a huge hint that there is something wrong in your paradigm if it leads you to believe things that don't make sense to you (if it made sense, you could explain it).

Quote:
Jesus taught it both by precept and example. Nothing is clearer in Jesus' teachings than the relationship between sin and death and pardon.

I see an assertion here, but no evidence. Where did Jesus teach be example that God did not not freely forgive sin? That He needed a penalty to be paid in order to forgive?

I can think of several times where Jesus forgave sins. He forgave the paralytic. He forgave the woman caught in adultery. Where was the blood? Who or what was killed by Jesus before he forgave them?

What example did you have in mind? It seems to me that Jesus' example was diametrically opposed to what you are suggesting. His example was to freely forgive.

Quote:
Also, God cannot pardon willful sinning without shedding the blood of Jesus. This is a pillar of truth. In fact, there comes a time when willful sinning cannot be pardoned.

Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

It seems to me that from these verses you should be able to see that a penal view is not being presented here. If sacrifice allows God to forgive, then how would willfully sinning make God unable to forgive? That doesn't make sense, right? That would make us limiting God.

Rather, isn't it clear that Hebrews is speaking here of the sin of hardening our hearts so that *we* lose the capacity to be forgiven?

There's nothing penal here at all.

Did you look at the Fifield quotes? Perhaps there's something in them we could discuss.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93393
12/12/07 12:04 AM
12/12/07 12:04 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus is the "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." The sacrificial system symbolized His death. Sins required death to make atonement. No death meant no pardon, no forgiveness, no atonement. On the day of atonement, sins were rolled back upon disingenuous sinners who were then excommunicated. Jesus was able to forgive people based on the efficacy of His impending sacrifice.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93396
12/12/07 03:58 AM
12/12/07 03:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Jesus never said anywhere any of the things in your post here, MM. You haven't presented a single thing from Jesus' life or teaching to support your position. To support mine I cite:

a)Jesus' treatment of the paralytic.
b)Jesus' treatment of the woman caught in adultery.
c)Jesus' parable of the prodigal son.
d)Jesus' parable of the king who pardoned the servant.
e)Jesus' teachings on the sermon on the mount (turn the other cheek, etc.)
f)Jesus' actions on the cross (e.g. "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do).

You didn't address my post, it doesn't look like. Did you read the Fifield quotes? Perhaps there's something in them we could discuss. Do they make sense to you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93406
12/13/07 01:15 AM
12/13/07 01:15 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus taught the Jews in the OT. No death meant no forgiveness. Do you disagree?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93410
12/13/07 02:18 AM
12/13/07 02:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, I disagree. Do you recognize that there was a necessity for Jesus to come in the flesh in order to reveal God to us? From your comments, it appears you think this was unnecessary.

Anyway, back to my question. I'm asking where Jesus Christ, while here in the flesh, in either His teachings or actions, ever depicted God as not being able to forgive unless a payment of blood was made.

Changing tacks a bit, but as a response to your questions about the Old Testament, how do you understand this?

Quote:
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5)

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93416
12/13/07 04:12 PM
12/13/07 04:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus established the sacrificial system of atonement. He gave us the laws of Moses. He supported them while here in the flesh. Not once did He change or contradict what He commanded in the OT. Do you agree?

John
5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Matthew
23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, [that] observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93427
12/13/07 07:43 PM
12/13/07 07:43 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You didn't answer my questions, MM. There were two.

God in the Old Testament was not understood. He still isn't. To clear away the confusion, God came in the flesh, so that we could understand Him.

Quote:
In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. (Hebrews 1:1-3)

Quote:
No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known. (John 1:18)

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

If God in the Old Testament had been understood, then Christ would not have had to make Him known. The necessity for the "whole purpose" of Christ's mission, the revelation of God, existed exactly because God had not been misunderstood.

So what is the truth about God? It is precisely that which Christ revealed on earth. His whole purpose was to do just that. It is defeating the very purpose for which Christ came to go away from His life and teachings while here on earth to explain something which you can't explain by His life and teachings.

To say this more simply, anything you have to say about God you should be able to explain by the life and teachings of Christ. All that man can know about God was revealed in the life and character of His Son.

I've substantiated my position with many statements and examples from the life of Christ. But to substantiate your position, you are wanting to go outside of that which, according to Ellen White, reveals all that can be known about God.

It's inconceivable that Christ came here to earth, and never explained the purpose of His death.

To answer directly your question to me, Christ explained what the OT meant.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93430
12/13/07 09:08 PM
12/13/07 09:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I do not believe what Jesus said and did in the OT accounts for why people misunderstood the character of God. Jesus made that clear when He said, "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me."

He is saying, If you want to know what I and my Father are like - READ THE OLD TESTAMENT. The fact people did not know God is the fault of the Pharisees and other leaders. Do not blame the OT. Do not blame what Jesus said and did in the OT.

Again, Jesus made it abundantly clear that there can be no forgiveness without the death of a divine substitute. His name, Lamb of God, testifies to this fact. People who refused to confess their sins upon a sacrificial lamb were unforgiven and eventually excommunicated. No death equals no atonement.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93433
12/13/07 10:55 PM
12/13/07 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Jesus said, whatever my Father speaks, I speak; whatever I see my Father doing, I do. Where did Jesus hear and see these things? How did Jesus learn about God? By reading the Old Testament.

Jesus said, "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," which is Him saying, "If you want to know what my view of the Old Testament God is, Look at Me!"

IMO, You've got this complete backwards. Jesus was not saying, if you want to understand Me, read the Old Testament. He was saying, if you want to understand the Old Testament, read Me.

People still don't understand the Old Testament, because they see something different from the Old Testament than they do in the New. It is because God was not understood that Jesus came, which the quotes I provided point out. No one ever understood the Old Testament as clearly as Jesus did.

Consider Hebrews 1. What you are wanting to do is to prefer the dim light of a candle to the blazing light of the Son.

You haven't answered my questions. I'll repeat them.

The first question I have is where did Jesus Christ, during His ministry on earth, teach that God did not have the legal right to forgive us unless He died. If you want to try to answer this from some other part of Scripture, go ahead, but that doesn't answer my question, which is where did Jesus, during His ministry on earth, teach this (although, in reality, nowhere in Scripture teaches this idea, which didn't even exist at the time Scripture was written, the idea not being invented for centuries afterwards. The Eastern Orthodox church *still* does not have this idea, because it split off from the Roman Catholic church before Anselm.)

The other two question, which I have been asking you are:

Quote:
Do you recognize that there was a necessity for Jesus to come in the flesh in order to reveal God to us?

and

Quote:
Changing tacks a bit, but as a response to your questions about the Old Testament, how do you understand this?

Quote:
38"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5)

From what you have written, I think I can make a good guess as to how you would answer the second question. I think you would say that God was misunderstood because of the influence of the Jewish leaders, which is why it was necessary for Jesus to reveal the truth about God.

However, I can't see that you've addressed the other two questions in any way. I take your refusal to cite anything from Jesus' life and teachings during His ministry on earth as tacit agreement that there is nothing to cite; that is, He didn't teach these things. If you disagree with this assessment, please cite something.

Regarding the third question, I don't think you've in any way addressed this. I'm very interested in what your thoughts are on this.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93438
12/14/07 01:09 AM
12/14/07 01:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the idea that what Jesus said and did in the OT is not as valid as what He said and did in the NT is totally bogus. Perhaps this is not what you're saying, but that's what it sounds like to me. You keep insisting that I quote Jesus in the NT to support penal and substitutionary atonement as if what He said elsewhere carries less weight. The following passages confirm the truth.

John
7:30 Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.
8:20 These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.
12:23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.
12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

Galatians
3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree:

Isaiah
53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were [our] faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
53:5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth.
53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put [him] to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!