HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne), 3,258 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93428
12/13/07 08:02 PM
12/13/07 08:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: My question is if reality is as God perceives it to be.

MM: Reality has nothing to do with perception. Reality is what is.

Is there any difference between what is and what God perceives things to be?

Quote:

TE: Why would you think it is illogical to assert that God is everywhere at the same time?

MM: I don't think it is illogical.

Then why did you ask, "What is not illogical about it? How can someone be everywhere at the same time?"

Quote:

I believe God is everywhere at the same time - even though I cannot explain it, even though it contradicts the laws of nature and logic as I know it.

How can you say in one breath, "I don't think it is illogical" and in the next "it contradicts the laws of nature and logic as I know it"? Mind-boggling.

Quote:
I assume, therefore, based on faith, that God's ability to be everywhere at the same time is consistent with laws and logic that apply to Him but not to me. He is God. I am not.

This is awful reasoning. Your "therefore" is based on your believing something which you say is both not illogical, and contradictory to logic. Then, on top of that, you conclude that, "therefore" there is logic that applies to God but not to you.

Logic is not something which applies to beings. Logic applies to propositions and reasonsing. The propositions can involve God or not, it doesn't matter. The rules of logic don't change.

Quote:
Consequently, He is able do things I cannot do, things that do not violate the laws of nature as they apply to me, even though they are things I cannot do and not violate them. For example, I cannot travel at the speed of light. The laws of physics disallow it. But God can, without violating them. Other laws apply which to conflict with our laws.

I'm not seeing that this point has to do with anything.

Quote:

TE: I pointed out that a timeless being cannot experience things sequentially.

MM: I disagree. The fact God is not bound our time and space continuum in the same way we are does not mean He cannot experience real time (reality) like we do.

No, it's not the fact that God is not bound by time and space that implies this, but the fact that He is timeless. You described God experiencing everything happening at the same time, all at once. You should be able to understand that a conclusion of this presupposition is that experiencing something sequentially is impossible. If it's all happening at the same time, it can't happen in sequence.

Quote:
Whether it is past, present, or future, God experiences things in real time (reality) which means at any given moment He is aware of events happening before and after.

For example, since God is everywhere at the same time it means I can be sitting on His lap in Phoenix while you are sitting on His lap in Topeka.

Sure, at the same time. But not at different times simultaneously.

Let's go back to knowledge changing, which may be an easier argument to understand. If God's knowledge is changeless, then He cannot make a decision, because making a decision changes your knowledge. Before you make a decision, your knowledge tells you you haven't made a decision yet and there is a decision that needs to be made. After you make a decision, your knowledge tells you you have made a decision. Also things changed based on your decision, which also changes your knowledge. Conversely, if your knowledge does not change , then you cannot make a decision, nor can you learn, or discover anything. You would just know. There is where the impassibility idea of the Greeks came from.

To summarize, if God's knowledge is changeless, then

a)God cannot learn anything.
b)God cannot discover anything.
c)God cannot think in any sense other than simply observing something, because to think in a way that involves a decision of some sort necessarily changes your knowledge.
d)God cannot make any decisions, because that would change His knowledge.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93431
12/13/07 09:23 PM
12/13/07 09:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: For example, since God is everywhere at the same time it means I can be sitting on His lap in Phoenix while you are sitting on His lap in Topeka.

TE: Sure, at the same time. But not at different times simultaneously.

MM: True. God's interactions with us reflect reality whether we're talking about yesterday, today, or tomorrow, all of which are now and always for God (but not for us).

TE: If God's knowledge is changeless, then He cannot make a decision, because making a decision changes your knowledge.

MM: God knows the end from the beginning. His knowledge reflects not only His decisions but the decisions of zillions upon zillions of FMAs.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93434
12/13/07 11:16 PM
12/13/07 11:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: For example, since God is everywhere at the same time it means I can be sitting on His lap in Phoenix while you are sitting on His lap in Topeka.

TE: Sure, at the same time. But not at different times simultaneously.

MM: True. God's interactions with us reflect reality whether we're talking about yesterday, today, or tomorrow, all of which are now and always for God (but not for us).

Is there any difference between what is and what God perceives things to be?

I'm really trying to get to a point, which I'm waiting for you to acknowledge that God perceives reality as it is to get to.

You're statement that reality has nothing to do with perception is not correct, in addition to not being a direct answer to my question. There is a correspondence between reality and perception. Reality is not necessarily identical to what it is perceived to be, but to say that they have nothing to do each other is just incorrect. We perceive there to be a chair in a room, which we can sit on, as well as see, because there really is a chair in the room.

Quote:
TE: If God's knowledge is changeless, then He cannot make a decision, because making a decision changes your knowledge.

MM: God knows the end from the beginning. His knowledge reflects not only His decisions but the decisions of zillions upon zillions of FMAs.

He can't make any decisions if His knowledge is changeless. You in no way addressed this point. I explained in detail why what I am saying is the case.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93445
12/14/07 02:21 AM
12/14/07 02:21 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Is there any difference between what is and what God perceives things to be?

MM: If by perception you mean accurate knowledge of what is (the facts as they really are) then there is no difference. Do you have some other definition is mind?

TE: He can't make any decisions if His knowledge is changeless.

MM: God knows the end from the beginning. He is omniscient because He is omnipresent (in time and space). You seem to think God is only omnipresent in space. His ability to be omnipresent in time and space in no way means He cannot make decisions or experience sequential events in time and space. Unconditional prophecy is a point in case.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93453
12/14/07 04:11 AM
12/14/07 04:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Is there any difference between what is and what God perceives things to be?

MM: If by perception you mean accurate knowledge of what is (the facts as they really are) then there is no difference. Do you have some other definition is mind?

I wouldn't constitute reality as merely facts, but yes, that's the general idea. It's not a trick question. It just seems obvious to me that while our perception of reality may be off (and is off), God's is not. God perceives things as they are in truth. You would agree with this, wouldn't you?

TE: He can't make any decisions if His knowledge is changeless.

MM: God knows the end from the beginning. He is omniscient because He is omnipresent (in time and space). You seem to think God is only omnipresent in space.

]That's what "omnipresent" means. "being present everywhere at once."

His ability to be omnipresent in time and space in no way means He cannot make decisions or experience sequential events in time and space.

It does mean that, and I've explained why. Simply denying what I wrote is not an adequate response. I presented arguments. Please address the arguments.

Here's one argument: If God experiences everything happening as "now," then there can be nothing sequential. This is obvious. That everything is happening now means nothing is happening at some time other than now, which means there is no sequencing, because for something to be sequenced means there has to be things happening one after the other, which is to say at different times.

Unconditional prophecy is a point in case.

In prophecy, God states, "I will do this" "I will do that". If God experienced everything as "now," God could not say that. He would say, "I am doing this."

Also, if it is true that unconditional prophecy means that God can experience things sequentially (I have no idea why you made this assertion, since you didn't explain it, but let's assume it's true), this just goes to show that God does no experience everything as "now."

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93463
12/14/07 05:40 PM
12/14/07 05:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: God perceives things as they are in truth. You would agree with this, wouldn't you?

MM: I wouldn't include the word "perceive". God simply knows the truth as it really is. You are I disagree as to how and why.

TE: If God experiences everything happening as "now," then there can be nothing sequential.

MM: How do you know? You're not God. Are you assuming "now" means the same thing to God as it does to us? We are, after all, talking about God who can be everywhere at the same time. That means hundreds of planets involving zillions of FMAs; and you're having trouble believing He experiences sequential events yesterday, today, and tomorrow at the same time? I don't get it.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93467
12/14/07 06:25 PM
12/14/07 06:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: God perceives things as they are in truth. You would agree with this, wouldn't you?

MM: I wouldn't include the word "perceive". God simply knows the truth as it really is. You are I disagree as to how and why.

Ok, we'll use the word "know" instead of "perceive." You would agree that God knows reality as it is, correct?

Quote:
TE: If God experiences everything happening as "now," then there can be nothing sequential.

MM: How do you know?

Because I can use logic and reason.

Quote:
You're not God.

I don't have to be. I just have to be able to think logically, because we're dealing with logical propositions and arguments involving cause and effect. To counteract the arguments, you need to show that either a presupposition I'm assuming is false, or that my reasoning is incorrect somewhere.

Quote:
Are you assuming "now" means the same thing to God as it does to us? We are, after all, talking about God who can be everywhere at the same time. That means hundreds of planets involving zillions of FMAs; and you're having trouble believing He experiences sequential events yesterday, today, and tomorrow at the same time? I don't get it.

A timeless being cannot experience things sequentially. This is like saying that a circle cannot be a square. I explained why here:

Quote:
That everything is happening now means nothing is happening at some time other than now, which means there is no sequencing, because for something to be sequenced means there has to be things happening one after the other, which is to say at different times.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93482
12/15/07 12:24 AM
12/15/07 12:24 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You would agree that God knows reality as it is, correct?

MM: God simply knows the truth as it really is. You are I disagree as to how and why.

TE: I just have to be able to think logically, because we're dealing with logical propositions and arguments involving cause and effect.

MM: You seem to think the same principles of logic that apply to us also apply to God. Which principles do you apply to explain how God can be everywhere at the same time? And, how do these principles apply to us?

TE: That everything is happening now means nothing is happening at some time other than now ....

MM: That's easy for you to say because you are not God. Do you apply this logic to the past and present, or just to the future? Please keep in mind, as you answer these questions, time and space relate to FMAs. Before God created FMAs, time and space did not exist, at least, not as we know it.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93510
12/15/07 05:54 AM
12/15/07 05:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: You would agree that God knows reality as it is, correct?

MM: God simply knows the truth as it really is. You are I disagree as to how and why.

You would agree that God knows reality as it is, correct?

Quote:
TE: I just have to be able to think logically, because we're dealing with logical propositions and arguments involving cause and effect.

MM: You seem to think the same principles of logic that apply to us also apply to God.

The principles of logic, as I've pointed out several times now, apply to propositions and reasoning from cause to effect. The propositions can apply to God or us, or other things.

Quote:
Which principles do you apply to explain how God can be everywhere at the same time? And, how do these principles apply to us?

You're confusing propositions with something else. If you can express yourself in terms of propositions and conclusions reasoning from cause to effect, we can discuss these using logic.

Quote:

TE: That everything is happening now means nothing is happening at some time other than now ....

MM: That's easy for you to say because you are not God.

This doesn't involve being God in any way! It's like my saying, "2 + 2 = 4" and you respond, "That's easy for you to say because you are not God."

Quote:
Do you apply this logic to the past and present, or just to the future? Please keep in mind, as you answer these questions, time and space relate to FMAs. Before God created FMAs, time and space did not exist, at least, not as we know it.

I'm apply the logic to your proposition. I'm demonstrating to you how what you are suggesting is impossible. As I stated:

Quote:
That everything is happening now means nothing is happening at some time other than now, which means there is no sequencing, because for something to be sequenced means there has to be things happening one after the other, which is to say at different times.

Please note that "God" does not appear in this sentence. This is a question of logic. You are asserting something which is logically impossible.

Another logical problem with your position is that if God's knowledge is changeless, He cannot make decision, or think in any sense (other than as a passive observer) because is He did these things His knowledge would change.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93537
12/17/07 04:07 PM
12/17/07 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your propositions, logic, and conclusions are not valid because they do not take into account God is omnipresent in time and space. Divorcing this from your proposition is fruitless and pointless.

Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!