HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94424
01/09/08 07:07 PM
01/09/08 07:07 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I think if you take the position that death is not an externally-imposed penalty, you will come to the same conclusions I have in regards to penal substitution and the final judgment. I think these are logically equivalent. I haven't tried to prove that, however. I think I'll think about it and maybe give it a try.

I'd like to see that. It might clarify some things for me.

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Regarding your question as to why I hold to the idea that penal substitution is not correct, I thought of a simpler answer, which is simply that if it were true, it would say certain things about God which I believe are false.

Makes sense. Then the task becomes determining which belief is fundamental and which is derived.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: asygo] #94428
01/09/08 07:48 PM
01/09/08 07:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think if you take the position that death is not an externally-imposed penalty, you will come to the same conclusions I have in regards to penal substitution and the final judgment. I think these are logically equivalent. I haven't tried to prove that, however. I think I'll think about it and maybe give it a try.

I'd like to see that. It might clarify some things for me.

Ok. I've thought a little about it, but not much yet. It seems to me that the final judgment part comes immediately. If death is not an externally-imposed penalty, then there is no eternally imposed penalty at the judgment, as the penalty is death, and it's already been agree that this is not externally imposed.

The penal substitution part will require more thought.

Regarding your question as to why I hold to the idea that penal substitution is not correct, I thought of a simpler answer, which is simply that if it were true, it would say certain things about God which I believe are false.

Makes sense. Then the task becomes determining which belief is fundamental and which is derived.

It seems they are rather inextricably interconnected, but certainly one's views regarding God must be the most important consideration, it seems to me. For example, suppose we think that Scripture teaches that God will torment the wicked for all eternity in hell. What does that say about God? Not good things. So we may decide to reject the doctrine, in spite of the apparent Scriptural support, simply because we cannot accept that it is true, given what the results would be in regards to what it would imply regarding God's character.

Another approach would be to say, I don't care what it says about God's character, if it's in Scripture, in must be true, so I'll go with that no matter what (which, of course, disregards the possibility that Scripture may be being misapplied).

It seems to me that if we go about trying to construct a theology that makes God as good as possible, so to speak, that we can't go wrong, provided (and this is a huge condition) that we aren't simply fashioning a "God" from our own imaginings, but are truly allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us in our search for truth.

As Jesus said (paraphrased) if we are willing to do His will, we will know the truth.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94431
01/09/08 09:04 PM
01/09/08 09:04 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
But we should understand that what "makes God as good as possible" differs from one person to the next. Some believe that everyone will be saved because God is so good. So that, obviously, is not a foolproof hermeneutic.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: asygo] #94438
01/09/08 10:10 PM
01/09/08 10:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
But we should understand that what "makes God as good as possible" differs from one person to the next. Some believe that everyone will be saved because God is so good. So that, obviously, is not a foolproof hermeneutic.

Well, to some extent it will be true that what makes God good will vary from person to person, as we perceive and value different things (such as attributes of character) differently.

Regarding the second sentence, that's why I added the caveat, pointing out its importance, that we listen to God revealing Himself to us, as opposed to fashioning an idol of our own devisings, which brings the following quote to mind:

Quote:
It is as easy to make an idol of false doctrines and theories as to fashion an idol of wood or stone. By misrepresenting the attributes of God, Satan leads men to conceive of Him in a false character. With many, a philosophical idol is enthroned in the place of Jehovah; while the living God, as He is revealed in His word, in Christ, and in the works of creation, is worshiped by but few. (GC 583)

Boy, that hits the mark perfectly, doesn't it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94454
01/10/08 05:02 AM
01/10/08 05:02 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Bullseye!

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: asygo] #94457
01/10/08 02:38 PM
01/10/08 02:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This is from wiki, on "penal substitution"

Quote:
Calvin appropriated these ideas but crucially changed the terminology to that of the criminal law with which he was familiar - he was trained as a lawyer - reinterpreted in the light of Biblical teaching on the law. Man is guilty before God's judgement and the only appropriate punishment is eternal death. The Son of God has become man and has stood in man's place to bear the immeasurable weight of wrath; the curse, and the condemnation of a righteous God. He was "made a substitute and a surety in the place of transgressors and even submitted as a criminal, to sustain and suffer all the punishment which would have been inflicted on them."

The "these ideas" in the first sentence is referring to Anselm's ideas on the satisfaction theory.

I thought about this a bit more, Arthur, and I couldn't think of any way to make this work (i.e. penal substitution) without an arbitrarily, or externally, imposed penalty.

It also seems to me that penal substitution implies the final judgment must also be an imposed penalty as well.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94459
01/10/08 04:24 PM
01/10/08 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: It also seems to me that penal substitution implies the final judgment must also be an imposed penalty as well.

MM: Sister White makes a connection between the cross and the final judgment. She refers to it as God's "punishment" and "just retribution". These are externally imposed by God. She also warns us against thinking God is too kind and merciful to execute punishment and retribution.

PP 408
There are those who will question God's love and His justice in visiting so severe punishment for words spoken in the heat of passion. But both love and justice require it to be shown that utterances prompted by malice against God are a great sin. The retribution visited upon the first offender would be a warning to others, that God's name is to be held in reverence. But had this man's sin been permitted to pass unpunished, others would have been demoralized; and as the result many lives must eventually have been sacrificed. {PP 408.2}

3BC 1166
Very few realize the sinfulness of sin; they flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the offender. But the cases of Miriam, Aaron, David, and many others show that it is not a safe thing to sin against God in deed, in word, or even in thought. God is a being of infinite love and compassion, but He also declares Himself to be a "consuming fire, even a jealous God" (RH Aug. 14, 1900). {3BC 1166.2}

GC 539
God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that "the wages of sin is death," that every violation of God's law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father's face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

3BC 1166
The death of Christ was to be the convincing, everlasting argument that the law of God is as unchangeable as His throne. The agonies of the Garden of Gethsemane, the insult, the mockery, and abuse heaped upon God's dear Son, the horrors and ignominy of the crucifixion, furnish sufficient and thrilling demonstration that God's justice, when it punishes, does the work thoroughly. The fact that His own Son, the Surety for man, was not spared, is an argument that will stand to all eternity before saint and sinner, before the universe of God, to testify that He will not excuse the transgressor of His law. Every offense against God's law, however minute, is set down in the reckoning, and when the sword of justice is taken in hand, it will do the work for impenitent transgressors that was done to the divine Sufferer. Justice will strike; for God's hatred of sin is intense and overwhelming (MS 58, 1897). {3BC 1166.3}

GC 627
God's judgments will be visited upon those who are seeking to oppress and destroy His people. His long forbearance with the wicked emboldens men in transgression, but their punishment is nonetheless certain and terrible because it is long delayed. "The Lord shall rise up as in Mount Perazim, He shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that He may do His work, His strange work; and bring to pass His act, His strange act." Isaiah 28:21. To our merciful God the act of punishment is a strange act. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked." Ezekiel 33:11. The Lord is "merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, . . . forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin." Yet He will "by no means clear the guilty." The Lord is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked." Exodus 34:6, 7; Nahum 1:3. By terrible things in righteousness He will vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. The severity of the retribution awaiting the transgressor may be judged by the Lord's reluctance to execute justice. The nation with which He bears long, and which He will not smite until it has filled up the measure of its iniquity in God's account, will finally drink the cup of wrath unmixed with mercy. {GC 627.2}

PM 178
When calamity comes, unless the Lord indicates plainly that this calamity is sent as a punishment of those who are departing from the word of His counsel; unless He reveals that it has come as a retribution for the sins of the workers, let every man refrain from criticism. Let us be careful not to reproach anyone.--RH, Aug. 16, 1906. {PM 178.2}

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94466
01/10/08 05:39 PM
01/10/08 05:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
From DA 764 we read:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished...(DA 764; emphasis mine)

There are other quotes like this which explain their being an organic connection between sin and death, as opposed to death being something imposed by God as a punishment.

One can make the "imposing" language fit with an organic framework, but it's difficult for me to see how this can work the other way.

If the penalty for sin is something imposed, then our motivation to be reconciled to God is so that He won't kill us, which seems problematic. OTOH, if it is sin which results in death, then we see God acting in a saving role, by healing/saving us from that which would kill us.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #94518
01/11/08 06:58 PM
01/11/08 06:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: OTOH, if it is sin which results in death, then we see God acting in a saving role, by healing/saving us from that which would kill us.

MM: Had man after his fall been allowed free access to the tree of life, he would have lived forever, and thus sin would have been immortalized. It isn't sin that kills sinners; they die because they cannot eat of the tree of the life.

Genesis
3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

GC 533
Had man after his fall been allowed free access to the tree of life, he would have lived forever, and thus sin would have been immortalized. But cherubim and a flaming sword kept "the way of the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24), and not one of the family of Adam has been permitted to pass that barrier and partake of the life-giving fruit. Therefore there is not an immortal sinner. {GC 533.3}

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #94520
01/11/08 07:14 PM
01/11/08 07:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, if God simply allows sin to run its course, how do you explain the following insights?

1. "There are those who will question God's love and His justice in visiting so severe punishment for words spoken in the heat of passion." (quoted above) There is nothing passive about this incident.

2. "Very few realize the sinfulness of sin; they flatter themselves that God is too good to punish the offender." (quoted above) There's nothing passive about these incidents.

3. "God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary." (quoted) There is nothing passive about Jesus' death on the cross.

4. "The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." (quoted above) There is nothing passive about this quote either.

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!