HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 39 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97180
03/21/08 03:18 PM
03/21/08 03:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
To me, what she is saying is that before Christ’s death, God’s love hadn’t been so perfectly understood as after it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this conclusion.

Quote:
The manifestation of His presence was seen just by the priests (to a certain degree) and by the high priest. People depended on the ceremonial sacrifices and on the high priest to obtain forgiveness for their sins – at least this was the rule.

People never depended upon the ceremonial sacrifices and on the high priest to obtain forgiveness for their sins. As Paul points out, the blood of bull and goats could never take away sin.

David clearly understood this, as pointed out by what I quoted earlier:

Quote:
For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Ps. 51:16, 17)

Also Romans 4 touches on this same idea:

Quote:
5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

The ceremonial sacrifices had value only insofar as they pointed to Christ. There has never been any way to be justified other than by faith in Christ, which is to say, there has never been any way to be forgiven of sin than by faith in Christ (since justification by faith and forgiveness are one in the same).

Similarly, the priests had no ability to forgive sins. Only God can forgive sins. So there was no dependence upon the people on human priests either, except as an object lesson to point to Christ, through whom they could obtain forgiveness of sins.

Quote:
After Christ’s death a new and living way was opened – there is no longer a need for ceremonial sacrifices and high priests. Reality has come.

There was no longer a need for ceremonial sacrifices, since type had met antitype, but the reality has always been that one could obtain forgiveness only by faith in Christ, and that forgiveness was as real before Christ died as afterward.

Here is another statement which speaks of the rending of the veil.

Quote:
By the rending of the veil of the temple, God said, I can no longer reveal My presence in the most holy place. A new and living Way, before which there hangs no veil, is offered to all. No longer need sinful, sorrowing humanity await the coming of the high priest. (5 SDABC 1109)

This is simply making the point that type had met antitype, which is also her point in the DA quote. She's not saying there was a change in how human beings are forgiven. The dependence upon a priest to typify Christ's priestly work was no longer needed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #97181
03/21/08 04:51 PM
03/21/08 04:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
People never depended upon the ceremonial sacrifices and on the high priest to obtain forgiveness for their sins.

Yes, they did, because God required it. Their obedience in this point should just be an outward manifestation of their faith, but yes, God required them to present a sacrifice, and on the Day of Atonement God required that the high priest performed the whole ritual in order that atonement for the people and for the sanctuary was achieved. Of course this was symbolical, but God required it. Could they, in ordinary circumstances, obtain forgiveness without the ceremonial law? No. This would demonstrate their indisposition to comply with God's requirements, and their lack of faith.

Quote:
She's not saying there was a change in how human beings are forgiven.

Obviously.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97185
03/21/08 06:49 PM
03/21/08 06:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
People never depended upon the ceremonial sacrifices and on the high priest to obtain forgiveness for their sins.

Yes, they did, because God required it.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit and a contrite heart. God did not require sacrifice in order for one to obtain forgiveness:

Quote:
16For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Ps. 51:16, 17)

The one and only requirement is and always has been faith in Christ. Paul makes this point in Romans 4 where he says:

Quote:
5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Paul is using David as his example of one who is forgiven apart from works. If David obtained forgiveness by works, such as offering a sacrifice, then Paul's whole argument falls apart.

Quote:
Their obedience in this point should just be an outward manifestation of their faith, but yes, God required them to present a sacrifice, and on the Day of Atonement God required that the high priest performed the whole ritual in order that atonement for the people and for the sanctuary was achieved. Of course this was symbolical, but God required it.

God required it, but not as a means to obtain forgiveness. Forgiveness is given as a free gift, not by means of performing works of some sort.

Quote:
Could they, in ordinary circumstances, obtain forgiveness without the ceremonial law? No.

Yes, they could. David's psalm makes this point perfectly clear.

Quote:
This would demonstrate their indisposition to comply with God's requirements, and their lack of faith.

This is the right way of looking at it. If they refused to offer a sacrifice, that would be like one in our time refusing to be baptized. This could be seen as a sign that one had not been forgiven, but to conclude that baptism in our time, or sacrifices in their time, was a necessary work to perform in order to obtain forgiveness is a wrong conclusion. As Paul points out:

Quote:
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. (Rom. 11:6)

Quote:
She's not saying there was a change in how human beings are forgiven.

Obviously.

Well, if this is obvious, why are you taking issue with any of the points I'm making? All my comments are predicated on this one simple fact, that the means of obtaining forgiveness has not changed.

For example, I wrote:

Quote:

Now if it is true that "obviously" Ellen White is not saying how human beings are forgiven has changed, then how can you dispute what I wrote here? If the way people are forgiven has not changed, and people now do not depend upon ceremonial sacrifices and a mortal high priest to obtain forgiveness for their sins, then people never did. Either that or the way to obtain forgiveness changed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97190
03/22/08 04:09 PM
03/22/08 04:09 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
Here EGW apparently
a. identifies the veil as the SECOND veil, hiding the ark.
b. Says that in the new and living way (reference to Hebrews 10) there is no veil obscuring the way.

Obviously the veil which was rent at Christ’s death was the second veil. But the comparison she makes with Heb. 10 is the following:

“When as a sinless offering Christ bowed His head and died, when by the Almighty's unseen hand the veil of the temple was rent in twain, a new and living way was opened. All can now approach God through the merits of Christ. It is because the veil has been rent that men can draw nigh to God. They need not depend on priest or ceremonial sacrifice. Liberty is given to all to go directly to God through a personal Saviour.” {7BC 932.4}

Ellen White’s point is that there is no longer any veil separating the believer from God. The believer no longer depends on a human priest or a ceremonial sacrifice to go to God. The comparison, however, ends here.

Her parallel was directly to the OT MHP and the presence of God.

So if you admit the veil referenced is the inner veil then how do you suggest that Christ going within the inner veil is not indicative of ministry in the MHP? It clearly is.

We have direct access BY BLOOD (only the MHP required blood to enter) to the High Priest, through the new and living way. His ministry is within the veil, in the MHP.

And the reference to waiting for a High Priest was also a reference to the ministry of the earthly high priest on the day of atonement, who would go in for them, and they would await his blessing.

They no longer await the high priest in the once per year ministry which represented the limited nature of the first covenant. Now they can go directly into God's presence in the MHP anytime, through the blood of Christ.

Last edited by tall73; 03/22/08 04:11 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97194
03/22/08 04:37 PM
03/22/08 04:37 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
[quote=Rosangela]
 Quote:

As I see it, the idea of v. 25 doesn’t need to be dependent on the idea of v. 24, and OUDE doesn’t need necessarily to be translated “nor yet.” As I mentioned previously, Barclay translates this verse as “It is not that he has to offer himself repeatedly...”

offer repeatedly what?

Let's try this another way.

Does the text say...

“It is not that he has to offer himself repeatedly as the high priest kills the sacrifice every year"

Or does it say :

“It is not that he has to offer himself repeatedly as the high priest enters every year"

It says "as the high priest enters." The offering spoken of is the entry.

Quote:

And, as I’ve also already pointed out, if v. 25 refers back to v. 24, and if v. 24 speaks about the presentation of blood made on the day of atonement, Paul’s thought would be incoherent. He would be speaking first about the presentation of blood, and then about the sacrifice.

No, because 24 and 25 are both speaking about the entry, not the death.

Quote:

I disagree with Vincent when he says that “offer himself refers rather to Christ's entrance into the heavenly sanctuary and presentation of himself before God, than to his offering on the cross.” First, because v. 26 confirms that Paul is referring to Christ’s sacrifice.

Vincet explains the mention of the sacrifice. Offering refers to the entry. And if He were to enter many times the text goes on in verse 26 to say that he would have had to SUFFER many times. But Neither was the case. He entered once, and He suffered once. That was Vincet's point.

Quote:

Second, because just three verses ahead the same verb “offer” is used referring unequivocally to Christ’s sacrifice: “So Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many.”

That is AFTER the reference to "suffer" which was the explanation of the reason why Jesus did not enter many times...then he would have to suffer many times.

Quote:

And third because, besides 9:25, Christ’s sacrifice is Paul’s theme in 9:26, 9:28, 10:10, 10:12, and 10:14.

And the entry was the theme in vs. 12, 24, 25, and 10:19. What does that prove? You must evaluate each verse on its merits. Let me post again what verse. 25 says:

Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

The offering is directly compared to an activity of the earthly high priest. What is that activity? Is it killing or entering? It is clearly entering.

Last edited by tall73; 03/22/08 04:44 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97196
03/22/08 04:43 PM
03/22/08 04:43 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO

I’m not understanding you.

Let's make this simpler. What is your explanation of the following verses?

Heb 9:6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
Heb 9:7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
Heb 9:8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
Heb 9:9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97198
03/22/08 04:48 PM
03/22/08 04:48 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO

Quote:
R: His enemies will only be made His footstool at the end of the millennium (1 Cor. 15:24-26 quoted).
T: The enemies are made the footstool at the second coming. But I didn't notice any reference to the 1k years there. And if you notice I Cor. 15 is a reference to the second coming and the resurrection when they would be changed.

The text says clearly that “He must reign till He has put all enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be destroyed is death,” and Revelation says clearly when death will be destroyed:

Revelation 20:14 “And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.”

So you quoted I Corinthians and then use another source to say what I Corinthians was saying? I Corinthians explains itself.

And I think I noted before that Rev. is the only book that mentions anything about a 1k years, and that it doesn't match up with the rest. But then Rev. is a symbolic book and people have debated the 1k years for as long as Revelation has been around.

Last edited by tall73; 03/22/08 04:48 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97199
03/22/08 04:49 PM
03/22/08 04:49 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO

I don’t think there is a place more holy than the other in heaven, but I do believe there are places for different purposes.

Yet Hebrews describes Jesus as already within the veil.

So, for that matter, does EGW:

Still bearing humanity, He ascended to heaven, triumphant and victorious. He has taken the blood of the atonement into the holiest of all, sprinkled it upon the mercy-seat and His own garments, and blessed the people. Soon He will appear the second time to declare that there is no more sacrifice for sin." ST April 19, 1905 par.4

Last edited by tall73; 03/22/08 04:56 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97205
03/22/08 06:53 PM
03/22/08 06:53 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

Doesn't Hebrews describe the veil as being Jesus' flesh? So "already within the veil" would mean "already within His flesh," wouldn't it?

Last edited by Tom Ewall; 03/23/08 01:12 AM. Reason: typo

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97209
03/23/08 01:06 AM
03/23/08 01:06 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
So if you admit the veil referenced is the inner veil then how do you suggest that Christ going within the inner veil is not indicative of ministry in the MHP? It clearly is.

No, it’s not, and Ellen White never meant to say this.
The comparison she draws is that only priests and high priests could approach God’s direct presence, and that now every believer can approach God directly. This obviously is a metaphor, because we do not behold visible signs of God’s presence in the same way priests and high priests sometimes beholded. The point is that we no longer need a human mediator, but go directly to God through Christ. As I said, the comparison ends here.

Quote:
We have direct access BY BLOOD (only the MHP required blood to enter) to the High Priest, through the new and living way. His ministry is within the veil, in the MHP.

We have direct access to God through Christ’s SHED blood, that is, by His sacrifice, or the rent veil of His flesh, as the verse itself makes clear.

Quote:
offer repeatedly what?
Let's try this another way.
Does the text say...
“It is not that he has to offer himself repeatedly as the high priest kills the sacrifice every year"
Or does it say :
“It is not that he has to offer himself repeatedly as the high priest enters every year"
It says "as the high priest enters." The offering spoken of is the entry.

So the offering spoken of in v. 25 is presentation of blood, but the offering spoken of in v. 28 is the sacrifice? Just three verses apart and the same word means different things?
It’s much more probable that they mean the same thing, and that v. 26 is confirming that the reference is to Christ’s sacrifice.
Besides, everything depends on where you put the emphasis. It’s different if you say,
“Not that He should OFFER Himself often, as the high priest ENTERS the holy places year by year with blood not his own.”
And if you say,
“Not that He should OFFER Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy places year by year WITH BLOOD not his own.”
In the first case the emphasis is on the entrance. In the second case the emphasis is on the sacrifice. If there is a repeated need for blood, there is a repeated need for sacrifices to be made.

Quote:
 Quote:
And, as I’ve also already pointed out, if v. 25 refers back to v. 24, and if v. 24 speaks about the presentation of blood made on the day of atonement, Paul’s thought would be incoherent. He would be speaking first about the presentation of blood, and then about the sacrifice.

No, because 24 and 25 are both speaking about the entry, not the death.

First, it would be a different kind of entry, if Paul is speaking about the dedication in v. 24 and if he is speaking about the day of atonement in v. 25. And second, the emphasis on v. 25 is on the sacrifice, not on the entry, as v. 26 and the subsequent context make clear.

Quote:
Vincet explains the mention of the sacrifice.

Yes, and I disagree with his explanation, as I have already explained why.

Quote:
Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
The offering is directly compared to an activity of the earthly high priest. What is that activity? Is it killing or entering? It is clearly entering.

No. The words “priest” and “high priest” are most of the times interchangeable in Hebrews, because the priest was just an assistant of the high priest, and what he did was considered as having been done by the high priest himself.

Hebrews 7:27 who does not need DAILY, as those HIGH PRIESTS, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people’s, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Besides, doing a search about the expression kat’eniauton, I’ve come upon an idea which makes much sense. Who said that “year by year” must refer only to yearly sacrifices? The verse would also make sense if it referred to any offering whose blood had to be taken inside the sanctuary. “Not that he should offer himself often, as the high priest (which expression may include the priests) enters the sanctuary year by year (or year after year) with blood of others.”

Quote:
Let's make this simpler. What is your explanation of the following verses? [Heb. 9:6-9 quoted]

Obviously the key verse is v. 8. To me, what it is saying is, “The Holy Spirit indicating this, that the way into the holies [the heavenly sanctuary] was not yet made manifest while the first tabernacle [the earthly sanctuary] was still standing.”

Quote:
So you quoted I Corinthians and then use another source to say what I Corinthians was saying?

Yes, because I accept all the books of the Bible as inspired.

Quote:

Behind the veil. But the question is, which veil? It doesn’t say it is the second veil.

Quote:
So, for that matter, does EGW:
Still bearing humanity, He ascended to heaven, triumphant and victorious. He has taken the blood of the atonement into the holiest of all, sprinkled it upon the mercy-seat and His own garments, and blessed the people. Soon He will appear the second time to declare that there is no more sacrifice for sin." ST April 19, 1905 par.4

Not by any means, for this is obviously a reference to the dedication of the heavenly sanctuary and to His own inauguration as High Priest (notice the words, “and His own garments”).

Page 26 of 39 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!