HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 39 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #97362
03/27/08 06:06 AM
03/27/08 06:06 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
An additional note, hearkening back to the debate over "offered" in vs. 25, I was reading an Andrews University Seminary Studies article by Norman Young, of Avondale, tonight, Spring 2002 edition.

He notes that προσφερω (offered) is also used in vs. 7 in reference to the "high priest's blood manipulation on the Day of Atonement."

This is the direct parallel passage to verse 25, in which the same term is again associated with entry and blood ministration on the day of atonement.

Heb 9:7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:

Heb 9:25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;

Strongs:

prospherō
pros-fer'-o
From G4314 and G5342 (including its alternate); to bear towards, that is, lead to, tender (especially to God), treat: - bring (to, unto), deal with, do, offer (unto, up), present unto, put to.

Notice a few examples of the term used in referring to blood in the LXX:

Lev 1:5 And he shall kill the bullock before the LORD: and the priests, Aaron's sons, shall bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Lev 9:9 And the sons of Aaron brought the blood unto him: and he dipped his finger in the blood, and put it upon the horns of the altar, and poured out the blood at the bottom of the altar:

Lev 9:12 And he slew the burnt offering; and Aaron's sons presented unto him the blood, which he sprinkled round about upon the altar.

Last edited by tall73; 03/27/08 06:27 AM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #97363
03/27/08 07:14 AM
03/27/08 07:14 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Truth is relative, eh?

Whenever human beings are concerned, there are issues involved such as what paradigm one is working from, what is general knowledge for the time, and so forth. For God, the truth is not relative, but for the rest of us there is a lot of filtering that goes into things. Even in a study as disciplined as Mathematics there are breakthroughs which allow for things to be perceived differently than they had been before the breakthrough.
I assume that the above can also be applied to other issues in theology. For instance, counting from a time when we in the west still knew the respect for authority, lets say before the renissance and a thousand years or more before that, it would have been sinfull and receptive of Gods condemnation for christians to keep saturday sabbath rather than sunday. If people around 1880 could be condemned by God for sticking to the biblical warning against time-setting, then why would it be different for groups keeping saturday sabbath contrary to paradigm and general knowledge? Unless the principle to be used is, 'the majority is always wrong'...
 Quote:

A good example of how God takes into account His hearers is when Jesus told the parable of Lazarus and the rich man. Jesus knew that his hearers believed that at death one went immediately to one's reward, so Jesus told a parable which had that bit of error as a part of the story. Jesus was interested in communicating another truth, so He let that other untruth slide for the time being.

I think something similar was happening in William Miller's movement. It took him some time to get the date right, and he never did get the right event, but God was guiding the Adventists and giving them a foundation which was capable of preparing for the coming of Christ in a very short amount of time. Indeed, as early as the late 1850's, Ellen White was already writing that "Christ could already have come."
And here we are more than 150 years later still wondering what the divine definition of a short time might be.
 Quote:

Without a foundation in place, including a proper framework for Daniel and Revelation, that wouldn't have been possible.

Sometimes I wish people who like to come and preach "crusades" based on Daniel and Revelation would employ such a proper framework. Just as an example, the last effort in this category included an explanation of the ten kingdoms where Australia and South Africa were to join forces and become one of the kingdoms. Also, the EU would be split and those states which were once in the Warsaw pact would once again join Russia in becoming one of the kingdoms... Silliness...
So if this foundation you refer to was established, when was it forgotten?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97368
03/27/08 01:03 PM
03/27/08 01:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tall,

Miller had been preaching since 1831 and never set a specific date – day and hour, but just an approximate time. So the excuse of using Matt. 24:36 to reject the message was just that – an excuse. As Ellen White says in GC 372, just some verses ahead of Matt. 24:36 Jesus says that His followers should know when His coming was “near, even at the doors”, and it was this that Miller was preaching. It was only in August, 1844, that a date was set by Samuel Snow for the ending of the 2300 days – less than two months before the event.

However, I’m not going to engage in a discussion with you to defend Ellen White, as this would be useless. If you want to discuss the validity of the date, it’s OK. Otherwise, you can create a separate thread, as Daryl gave you already the “go ahead” for this.

Quote:
It has everything to do with it. It was because Ellen believed that God was in the mistakes, covering the errors, intentionally testing the people, that she could still give validity to the Millerite movement as the beginning of the first two angels' messages, and as the fulfillment of the warning message.
Without it there is no sanctuary message, no three angles, no identity of the remnant, no Adventist church.

The fact that Ellen White gave validity to the Millerite movement has never been the reason why I am a Seventh-day Adventist. I don’t know if it was your reason, but it’s surely not mine.

Quote:
 Quote:
In the day-year principle a day is understood to represent a solar year.

Why?

Because this makes much more sense than believing that 2300 evenings and mornings refers to 2300 or to 1150 literal days which can never have been fulfilled by Antiochus Epiphanes. Because the historicist method of interpretation makes much more sense than the preterist or the futurist methods.

Quote:
He notes that prosphero (offered) is also used in vs. 7 in reference to the "high priest's blood manipulation on the Day of Atonement."

Just in the book of Hebrews, it is unequivocally used in 5:1, 5:3, 8:3, 8:4, 9:9, 10:1, 10:2, 10:8, 10:11, 10:12, 11:4, 11:17 for offering sacrifices, and just in 9:7 for offering blood. But the word blood is used, as the word prayers, for instance, is used in 5:7. Now, offering oneself and offering blood are two different things.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97377
03/27/08 03:40 PM
03/27/08 03:40 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Tall,

Miller had been preaching since 1831 and never set a specific date – day and hour, but just an approximate time. So the excuse of using Matt. 24:36 to reject the message was just that – an excuse. As Ellen White says in GC 372, just some verses ahead of Matt. 24:36 Jesus says that His followers should know when His coming was “near, even at the doors”, and it was this that Miller was preaching. It was only in August, 1844, that a date was set by Samuel Snow for the ending of the 2300 days – less than two months before the event.

he pointed to around 1843. Did Jesus say you do not know at which hour His coming would be?

Miller went to great lengths to argue for time prophecies ending in 1843. I think that is obvious.

Quote:

Quote:
It has everything to do with it. It was because Ellen believed that God was in the mistakes, covering the errors, intentionally testing the people, that she could still give validity to the Millerite movement as the beginning of the first two angels' messages, and as the fulfillment of the warning message.
Without it there is no sanctuary message, no three angles, no identity of the remnant, no Adventist church.

The fact that Ellen White gave validity to the Millerite movement has never been the reason why I am a Seventh-day Adventist. I don’t know if it was your reason, but it’s surely not mine.

It is the other way around. Ellen needs Miller to fulfill the prophecies as they perceived them in Rev., etc. The Adventist movement without Miller being the beginning of the 1st and 2nd messages, and without the disappointment being the fulfillment of Revelations bitter experience, etc. would not have its identity spelled out in the Bible.

She needs Miller to be right or there WAS no message regarding the 1844 date, and indeed no evidence that anything happened at all.

Therefore she props up Miller to support the Adventist movement.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97378
03/27/08 03:41 PM
03/27/08 03:41 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Quote:

Quote:
 Quote:
In the day-year principle a day is understood to represent a solar year.

Why?

Because this makes much more sense than believing that 2300 evenings and mornings refers to 2300 or to 1150 literal days which can never have been fulfilled by Antiochus Epiphanes. Because the historicist method of interpretation makes much more sense than the preterist or the futurist methods.

So a solar year proves the historicist position and Miller's reckoning?

Last edited by tall73; 03/27/08 03:42 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #97379
03/27/08 03:44 PM
03/27/08 03:44 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Quote:
He notes that prosphero (offered) is also used in vs. 7 in reference to the "high priest's blood manipulation on the Day of Atonement."

Just in the book of Hebrews, it is unequivocally used in 5:1, 5:3, 8:3, 8:4, 9:9, 10:1, 10:2, 10:8, 10:11, 10:12, 11:4, 11:17 for offering sacrifices, and just in 9:7 for offering blood. But the word blood is used, as the word prayers, for instance, is used in 5:7. Now, offering oneself and offering blood are two different things.

Yes, it is used for sacrifice. It is used for both. But the point is it is used for blood at times, and particularly in the context of the day of atonement.

Now why is it used of Himself? Because the NT fulfillment doesn't demand bringing actual blood, but is Jesus presenting (bringing to, προσφερω) Himself. He is the sacrifice. Presenting Himself presents all that is necessary.

Both passages speak of entrance.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97388
03/27/08 08:06 PM
03/27/08 08:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I assume that the above can also be applied to other issues in theology.

Sure. Truth is progressive.

Quote:
For instance, counting from a time when we in the west still knew the respect for authority, lets say before the renissance and a thousand years or more before that, it would have been sinfull and receptive of Gods condemnation for christians to keep saturday sabbath rather than sunday.

That's not the best example, since there have always been people keeping the Sabbath. But if one were unaware that the Bible taught that Sabbath kept the Sabbath, and one were convinced that the Catholic church, say, was the true church of God (which would be easy to do, since, much of the time, for many, there was only one visible church) and one decided to keep Sabbath on Saturday (or Tuesday) for no reason at all, but just because one felt like it, I suppose that would be a possible analogous situation.

Quote:
If people around 1880 could be condemned by God for sticking to the biblical warning against time-setting,

That never happened.

Quote:
then why would it be different for groups keeping saturday sabbath contrary to paradigm and general knowledge? Unless the principle to be used is, 'the majority is always wrong'...

Well, your premise here is fallacious, so the conclusion is moot.

Quote:
And here we are more than 150 years later still wondering what the divine definition of a short time might be.

A "short time" is a few years. This can be seen in a couple of ways. First of all, if you consider the amount of time that corresponds to the first compartment service (all the days of the year less one) to the second (one day of the year only), it's easy to see that in the type, the amount of time spent in the second compartment service was a short time. If one does the math, if memory serves, using 2300 days as a base (which would be 2300 years, of course), I think it comes to around 5 years.

A second way is that you can see that EGW uses this expression when talking about the preparation of Christ's coming. For example, in the 1888 era, she talks about how in a few years the world would have been ready for the coming of Christ, if the message presented by Jones and Waggoner had been accepted.

Quote:
Sometimes I wish people who like to come and preach "crusades" based on Daniel and Revelation would employ such a proper framework. Just as an example, the last effort in this category included an explanation of the ten kingdoms where Australia and South Africa were to join forces and become one of the kingdoms. Also, the EU would be split and those states which were once in the Warsaw pact would once again join Russia in becoming one of the kingdoms... Silliness...

I'm with you on this point. I wish the crusades would use a framework based on the Gospel. But that's another story.

Regarding when it was forgotten, I'd say there's been a lot of fuzziness in our thinking since 1888 when the message God sent us to prepare for the coming of Christ was not accepted. I think that's an inevitable consequence.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #97391
03/27/08 09:36 PM
03/27/08 09:36 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

Quote:
If people around 1880 could be condemned by God for sticking to the biblical warning against time-setting,

That never happened.

Quote:
then why would it be different for groups keeping saturday sabbath contrary to paradigm and general knowledge? Unless the principle to be used is, 'the majority is always wrong'...

Well, your premise here is fallacious, so the conclusion is moot.
Why did you not tell Tall that?
 Quote:

Quote:

A "short time" is a few years. This can be seen in a couple of ways. First of all, if you consider the amount of time that corresponds to the first compartment service (all the days of the year less one) to the second (one day of the year only), it's easy to see that in the type, the amount of time spent in the second compartment service was a short time. If one does the math, if memory serves, using 2300 days as a base (which would be 2300 years, of course), I think it comes to around 5 years.

A second way is that you can see that EGW uses this expression when talking about the preparation of Christ's coming. For example, in the 1888 era, she talks about how in a few years the world would have been ready for the coming of Christ, if the message presented by Jones and Waggoner had been accepted.
So 5 years after there is a general acceptance of Jones and Waggoer?
 Quote:

Quote:

I'm with you on this point. I wish the crusades would use a framework based on the Gospel. But that's another story.

Regarding when it was forgotten, I'd say there's been a lot of fuzziness in our thinking since 1888 when the message God sent us to prepare for the coming of Christ was not accepted. I think that's an inevitable consequence.
Is there a difference between the Gospel and what you refer to as 1888? If not, why not stick to talking about the gospel as this is something much more generally recogniseable than 1888?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #97392
03/27/08 10:17 PM
03/27/08 10:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why did you not tell Tall that?

I don't know, I'd have to look. Tall's been speaking mostly with Rosangela.

Quote:
So 5 years after there is a general acceptance of Jones and Waggoer?

She said that J&W's message was the "beginning" of the loud cry, and the latter rain. Presumably, had their message been accepted, God would have continued sending more light, which would have blossomed into the full latter rain, and led to Christ's return. However, God could well have raised up others to present that message; it wouldn't have had to have been J&W.

Also I wouldn't say "general acceptance," as I don't think that conveys a right understanding of the issue. God was giving a message to prepare for the coming of Christ. If you read through the GCB's of the time, for example, the 1893 GCB, you can see that the people were well aware of what was happening. A "general acceptance" conveys an idea of "no big deal." But the return of Christ *is* a big deal! For example, here's a well know SOP quote:

Quote:
Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own.

It is the privilege of every Christian not only to look for but to hasten the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, (2 Peter 3:12, margin). Were all who profess His name bearing fruit to His glory, how quickly the whole world would be sown with the seed of the gospel. Quickly the last great harvest would be ripened, and Christ would come to gather the precious grain. (COL 69)

Quote:
Is there a difference between the Gospel and what you refer to as 1888? If not, why not stick to talking about the gospel as this is something much more generally recogniseable than 1888?

The vast majority of posts I write, I don't mention J&W at all. I very much doubt I mention them in even 1% of my posts.

There were truths which God brought to light through Jones and Waggoner which are not generally known, or recognized as being a part of "the Gospel." The main reason I mention them in the hope that someone might get interested enough to look into what they presented, and be blessed by it, as I have been.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #97393
03/28/08 12:53 AM
03/28/08 12:53 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
he pointed to around 1843. Did Jesus say you do not know at which hour His coming would be?

Yes, but He also said that we could know when it was “near, even at the door.” Besides, the last sign announcing Christ’s coming had been fulfilled in 1833 (Matt. 24:29). Even so, he always avoided to set a specific date.

Quote:
It is the other way around. Ellen needs Miller to fulfill the prophecies as they perceived them in Rev., etc. The Adventist movement without Miller being the beginning of the 1st and 2nd messages, and without the disappointment being the fulfillment of Revelations bitter experience, etc. would not have its identity spelled out in the Bible.
She needs Miller to be right or there WAS no message regarding the 1844 date, and indeed no evidence that anything happened at all.
Therefore she props up Miller to support the Adventist movement.

New churches are founded every day without ever claiming that their identity is spelled out in the Bible, so I see no need for using Miller.
Ellen White was a teenager at the time. It would be necessary for her to have a privileged mind in order to make all those Bible verses fit the Adventist movement. Yet, how could a person with such a privileged mind contradict herself in elementary points of belief?

Quote:
So a solar year proves the historicist position and Miller's reckoning?

Miller, as everybody else in his time, held the historicist view, and the historicist view has as one of its concepts the “day-year principle.” What we have to check is if Miller’s reckoning makes sense.

Quote:
Yes, it is used for sacrifice. It is used for both. But the point is it is used for blood at times, and particularly in the context of the day of atonement.
Now why is it used of Himself? Because the NT fulfillment doesn't demand bringing actual blood, but is Jesus presenting (bringing to, προσφερω) Himself. He is the sacrifice. Presenting Himself presents all that is necessary.

The key element here is the purpose for which the blood was presented on the Day of Atonement – to cleanse the sanctuary from people’s sins. We have discussed this before and I don’t want to repeat myself, but how can a sanctuary be cleansed from sins which haven’t yet been committed? That’s why the blood was presented at the end of the year, not at its beginning.

Page 31 of 39 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!