HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,637
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Adventism and society #97503
03/30/08 10:37 PM
03/30/08 10:37 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I know of no part of the world where church leadership so intentionally reaches out to leaders of government and other churches and educates members on the need to involve themselves with society as a vital part of their witness.

"The church must not just operate within its environment, but must shape its environment," public affairs and religious liberty director Viorel Dima told me, emphasizing "shape." "Public figures should know the Seventh-day Adventist Church, think well of us, and be open to us. We should influence public opinion regarding the church."

Pastor Dima told of the challenge Adventists faced in his country: while the public's view of members individually was highly positive, the view of the church at the official level was negative, because church officials didn't interact with leaders of government and the other churches.

During the past few years the picture has changed dramatically. Dima organizes 20-50 symposia each year that bring leaders from government and academia together to discuss topics of current concern in society, with religious liberty as an ongoing emphasis. Adventists also attend and contribute to the discussions. Through this means the church has become widely known and respected at the highest levels of society.

In addition, Dima is organizing councils of influential Adventists in each of the 40 administrative regions of the country. These councils are to focus on social values for their region, such as the Red Cross or health or education projects. Primarily aiming to make the church more friendly, they will not involve themselves in public evangelism--that will come later!

http://www.adventistreview.org/2005-1506/story1.html

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97525
03/31/08 01:19 PM
03/31/08 01:19 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Interesting article, västergötland. Did you post the quote the Review article just to share?

I found the conclusion of the article interesting as well.

Quote:
Early in my visit I asked Pastor Bocaneanu the reason for Adventists' vitality in his field. He suggested four factors: among the first converts to the church were many professional people and leaders of society; Ellen White's books were translated early and circulate widely; Adventists from the beginning engaged in programs of social uplift; and, unlike other former satellites of the Soviet empire, Romania has remained a largely religious society.

From what I have seen, two other elements should be included: the strong sense of mission that pervades life and witness; and the strong leadership of the work. These two elements interact with the four he mentioned to make the church in Romania uniquely Adventist.

Re: Adventism and society [Re: crater] #97526
03/31/08 01:53 PM
03/31/08 01:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes!

Re: Adventism and society [Re: crater] #97529
03/31/08 02:46 PM
03/31/08 02:46 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: crater
Interesting article, västergötland. Did you post the quote the Review article just to share?
Surely I wouldn't have hidden agendas?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97561
03/31/08 09:06 PM
03/31/08 09:06 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
 Originally Posted By: crater
Surely I wouldn't have hidden agendas?
I couldn't say?

Thanks for sharing anyway.

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97562
03/31/08 09:25 PM
03/31/08 09:25 PM
Rick H  Offline
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I know of no part of the world where church leadership so intentionally reaches out to leaders of government and other churches and educates members on the need to involve themselves with society as a vital part of their witness.

"The church must not just operate within its environment, but must shape its environment," public affairs and religious liberty director Viorel Dima told me, emphasizing "shape." "Public figures should know the Seventh-day Adventist Church, think well of us, and be open to us. We should influence public opinion regarding the church."

Pastor Dima told of the challenge Adventists faced in his country: while the public's view of members individually was highly positive, the view of the church at the official level was negative, because church officials didn't interact with leaders of government and the other churches.

During the past few years the picture has changed dramatically. Dima organizes 20-50 symposia each year that bring leaders from government and academia together to discuss topics of current concern in society, with religious liberty as an ongoing emphasis. Adventists also attend and contribute to the discussions. Through this means the church has become widely known and respected at the highest levels of society.

In addition, Dima is organizing councils of influential Adventists in each of the 40 administrative regions of the country. These councils are to focus on social values for their region, such as the Red Cross or health or education projects. Primarily aiming to make the church more friendly, they will not involve themselves in public evangelism--that will come later!

http://www.adventistreview.org/2005-1506/story1.html

Humm, somebody took a marketing class.........

When I was working for a large software company, marketing would come in to a meeting and everyone would groan as we knew we were going to be facing a hour of 'friendly, happy, great, etc..' jargon on what was coming out and how they would present it. The problem was, they usually had no idea what it was they were marketing, as one marketing honcho told us, "it doesnt matter if you are marketing a box of Corn Flakes or a box of Software, its all the same". Thats when we kind of decided they lived in 'marketing dreamworld' that only occassionally came into contact with reality........ \:o

I dont believe in 'packaging' how we present ourselves or the Adventist message, just do it in a honest forthright way......

Last edited by Richard; 03/31/08 09:30 PM.
Re: Adventism and society [Re: Rick H] #97566
03/31/08 11:09 PM
03/31/08 11:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
R: I dont believe in 'packaging' how we present ourselves or the Adventist message, just do it in a honest forthright way......

MM: Why not intelligent, too? Learning what works best is wise, smart, and productive. Times and people change. Yes, the truth is timeless, but following Jesus' example of sharing it according time and circumstances is right. It needs to be tailored to the time and people.

We've discovered that the old style of public evangelism doesn't work around here. So, why waste time, effort, and money on it? Friendship evangelism works wonderfully well. Plus, it's less expensive, and the results are hardier and longer lasting. That is, members are less likely to give up and leave.

What works best in your neck of the woods?

Re: Adventism and society [Re: Mountain Man] #97582
04/01/08 09:05 AM
04/01/08 09:05 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Richard,

How is it a marketing ploy to conclude that "Public figures should know the Seventh-day Adventist Church, think well of us, and be open to us. We should influence public opinion regarding the church" and "Adventists also attend and contribute to the discussions. Through this means the church has become widely known and respected at the highest levels of society." What about participating in society is "marketing"?

Also, what about "When I was working for a large software company, marketing would come in to a meeting and everyone would groan as we knew we were going to be facing a hour of 'friendly, happy, great, etc..' jargon on what was coming out and how they would present it." is the problem? Are we too friendly in church? Are we too happy in church? Are we too great in church? Well, perhaps we can be too great but I fail to see how church could be too friendly or too happy. We are after all not Catholic trying to appeace God through grumpy penance.

Galatians 2

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97583
04/01/08 02:06 PM
04/01/08 02:06 PM
Rick H  Offline
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Richard,

How is it a marketing ploy to conclude that "Public figures should know the Seventh-day Adventist Church, think well of us, and be open to us. We should influence public opinion regarding the church" and "Adventists also attend and contribute to the discussions. Through this means the church has become widely known and respected at the highest levels of society." What about participating in society is "marketing"?

Also, what about "When I was working for a large software company, marketing would come in to a meeting and everyone would groan as we knew we were going to be facing a hour of 'friendly, happy, great, etc..' jargon on what was coming out and how they would present it." is the problem? Are we too friendly in church? Are we too happy in church? Are we too great in church? Well, perhaps we can be too great but I fail to see how church could be too friendly or too happy. We are after all not Catholic trying to appeace God through grumpy penance.

I know marketing when it crosses my path, it doesnt care what the belief is, just how its presented, and loses some of its validity when done as a 'show' rather than from true Christian mind of Christ. I'd rather be seen as a loving caring upright man, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil, with Christ within and I in Christ.

Re: Adventism and society [Re: Mountain Man] #97584
04/01/08 02:23 PM
04/01/08 02:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Richard wrote: I dont believe in 'packaging' how we present ourselves or the Adventist message, just do it in a honest forthright way......

MM: Why not intelligent, too? Learning what works best is wise, smart, and productive. Times and people change. Yes, the truth is timeless, but following Jesus' example of sharing it according time and circumstances is right. It needs to be tailored to the time and people.

We've discovered that the old style of public evangelism doesn't work around here. So, why waste time, effort, and money on it? Friendship evangelism works wonderfully well. Plus, it's less expensive, and the results are hardier and longer lasting. That is, members are less likely to give up and leave.

What works best in your neck of the woods?

Re: Adventism and society [Re: Mountain Man] #97596
04/01/08 03:43 PM
04/01/08 03:43 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
If we follow Jesus example and methods we can't go wrong. \:\)

IMO this has been a historic method of evangelism, that Ellen shed light on for the SDA church.

Quote:
Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Saviour mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, "Follow Me."--The Ministry of Healing, p. 143.

Devise methods to reach the people where they are.--Let every worker in the Master's vineyard, study, plan, devise methods, to reach the people where they are. We must do something out of the common course of things. We must arrest the attention. We must be deadly in earnest. We are on the very verge of times of trouble and perplexities that are scarcely dreamed of.--Ev 122, 123.

A "beehive" church will have a multi-faceted program for reaching the community.--During the past few years the "beehive" in San Francisco has been indeed a busy one. Many lines of Christian effort have been carried forward by our brethren and sisters there. These included visiting the sick and destitute, finding homes for orphans and work for the unemployed, nursing the sick, and teaching the truth from house to house, distributing literature, and conducting classes on healthful living and the care of the sick. A school for the children has been conducted in the basement of the Laguna Street meetinghouse. For a time a workingmen's home and medical mission was maintained. On Market Street, near the city hall, there were treatment rooms, operated as a branch of the St. Helena Sanitarium. In the same locality was a health-food store. Nearer the center of the city, not far from the Call building, was conducted a vegetarian cafe, which was open six days in the week and entirely closed on the Sabbath. Along the water front, ship mission work was carried on. At various times our ministers conducted meetings in large halls in the city. Thus the warning message was given by many.--RH July 5, 1906.

Seek until you have the joy of finding.--The lesson of persevering faith and labor Christ Himself has taught us. In the parable of the lost sheep He

has presented to our imagination no picture of a sorrowful shepherd returning without the sheep. The shepherd's search ceases not until the lost is brought back to the fold. The woman whose coin is lost searches till she finds it. These parables do not speak of failure but of success and joy in the recovery of the lost. Here is the divine guarantee that not one lost soul is overlooked, not one is left unsuccored. With all our efforts in seeking for the lost, Christ will cooperate.--AUCR July 1, 1900

Adventist Community Services

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97661
04/02/08 07:31 PM
04/02/08 07:31 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Richard,

" What about participating in society is "marketing"?

One could say that we all are marketing something; at the basic level, we market ourselves. It can be as simple as our choice in style of clothing, and hair, the type of vehicle we drive, or if we carry a backpack (slipped that in for you "v" ) or briefcase, even the brand name. It is an impression that we give to those outside of ourselves, it's a statement we make intentionally or not. There are people that may not see beyond this very superficial statement made by another's appearance.

Now add a smile \:\) and it can break through to someone, and it might change their day.

My point is that when we go out into "society" we are marketing ourselves, whether we are cognizant of it or not. As children of the "Most High God" we also represent him. When we are in "society" may we also wear the ". . . the atmosphere of grace which surrounds the soul of the believer".

I have done some "marketing" in a number of venues, so I have wondered about "marketing" the church, the SDA church in particular? I have seen opportunities for "marketing" the SDA church at the local level and wondered if the opportunities should be followed. I have also seen other groups get media attention for a project in which the SDA's were a major participant. It seems to me that at the local level at least the SDA church doesn't appear overly comfortable in marketing itself.

On the other hand we have the head of the universe as our leader. When it is his will he opens the way. All the "marketing", lobbying that the Hebrew might have done in Egypt would have had little effect, but when God was ready to move them out, he did it.

Anyway this is something I have wondered about for a while.

Just to share a few thought from COL. I especially like this.

Quote:
Christ's Object Lessons (1900), page 298,
Chapter Title: The Lord's Vineyard

The church is very precious in God's sight. He values it, not for its external advantages, but for the sincere piety which distinguishes it from the world. He estimates it according to the growth of the members in the knowledge of Christ, according to their progress in spiritual experience.

Christ hungers to receive from His vineyard the fruit of holiness and unselfishness. He looks for the principles of love and goodness. Not all the beauty of art can bear comparison with the beauty of temper and character to be revealed in those who are Christ's representatives. It is the atmosphere of grace which surrounds the soul of the believer, the Holy Spirit working upon mind and heart, that makes him a savor of life unto life, and enables God to bless his work.

A congregation may be the poorest in the land. It may be without the attraction of any outward show; but if the members possess the principles of the character of Christ, they will have His joy in their souls. Angels will unite with them in their worship. The praise and thanksgiving from grateful hearts will ascend to God as a sweet oblation.

The Lord desires us to make mention of His goodness and tell of His power. He is honored by the expression of praise and thanksgiving. He says, "Whoso offereth praise glorifieth Me." Psalm 50:23. The people of Israel, as they

journeyed through the wilderness, praised God in sacred song. The commandments and promises of the Lord were set to music, and all along the journey these were sung by the pilgrim travelers. And in Canaan as they met at their sacred feasts God's wonderful works were to be recounted, and grateful thanksgiving was to be offered to His name. God desired that the whole life of His people should be a life of praise. Thus His way was to be made "known upon earth," His "saving health among all nations." Psalm 67:2.

Another thing that I have learned about "marketing" is that the best form is word of mouth. So may His joy shine forth from our souls.

Re: Adventism and society [Re: crater] #97663
04/02/08 08:28 PM
04/02/08 08:28 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Crater,

Allow me to refine my question a bit. What about denominational participating in society is objectionable marketing? Your point about representing ourselves and God by simply being part of something makes the point that there is no communication or interaction whatsoever that is not marketing something. You could not even build a pillar in the desert and resolve to stay on top of it for 12 years as a hermit and not do marketing. This brings home the point even further that marketing cannot be regarded as an evil or necessary evil, it is an non-negotiable fact of life. Our only options are to deal with it or stick our heads in sand.

Galatians 2

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97724
04/03/08 07:30 PM
04/03/08 07:30 PM
Rick H  Offline
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Crater,

Allow me to refine my question a bit. What about denominational participating in society is objectionable marketing? Your point about representing ourselves and God by simply being part of something makes the point that there is no communication or interaction whatsoever that is not marketing something. You could not even build a pillar in the desert and resolve to stay on top of it for 12 years as a hermit and not do marketing. This brings home the point even further that marketing cannot be regarded as an evil or necessary evil, it is an non-negotiable fact of life. Our only options are to deal with it or stick our heads in sand.

The Holy Spirit brings people to God not 'marketing', or else we could bring all the rituals, ceremony, trappings and cathedrals of paganism for "marketing" and go that route, but you can see the problem with that, style above substance....

Last edited by Richard; 04/03/08 07:51 PM.
Re: Adventism and society [Re: Rick H] #97733
04/03/08 09:53 PM
04/03/08 09:53 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Richard,

Could you explain to me how we are supposed to fullfill the mission commandment in Matthew without using any method which could possibly be percieved as marketing? Consider what Crater said about your physical self always marketing something by your mere appearance in your answer. Your point about the Holy Spirit doing the bringing in of people put in the context of this thread thus far will lead us to the conclusion that we better stay comfortably at home or in the church and wait for the Spirit to start bringing in people. Maybe you have an example of this actually working aswell?

Galatians 2

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97734
04/03/08 10:11 PM
04/03/08 10:11 PM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Let me try to explain Craters post for you to help making a relevant answer to my question above.

When you go out of your house to meet with someone to share the gospel with, if you are dressed in a tie and suit, you market yourself as a buisness kind of person.
But if you dress in casual shirt and hawaii-shorts then you might rather be marketing yourself as a surfer dude.
Or if you dress in baggy pants and a hood, you'd be marketing yourself as a skater.
Even if you went out naked, you would still be marketing something about yourself.
Therefore, how can you do anything at all without a sertain level of self-marketing?

Galatians 2

Re: Adventism and society [Re: vastergotland] #97736
04/03/08 11:12 PM
04/03/08 11:12 PM
Rick H  Offline
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Let me try to explain Craters post for you to help making a relevant answer to my question above.

When you go out of your house to meet with someone to share the gospel with, if you are dressed in a tie and suit, you market yourself as a buisness kind of person.
But if you dress in casual shirt and hawaii-shorts then you might rather be marketing yourself as a surfer dude.
Or if you dress in baggy pants and a hood, you'd be marketing yourself as a skater.
Even if you went out naked, you would still be marketing something about yourself.
Therefore, how can you do anything at all without a sertain level of self-marketing?

Well lets see how John the Baptist was dressed and presented himself to the people.....

John the Baptist Prepares the Way
1The beginning of the gospel about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.[a]
2It is written in Isaiah the prophet:
"I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way"[b]—
3"a voice of one calling in the desert,
'Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.' "[c] 4And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. 6John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. 7And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8I baptize you with[d] water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."Mark 1:1-8

Last edited by Richard; 04/03/08 11:12 PM.
Re: Adventism and society [Re: Rick H] #97755
04/04/08 07:00 AM
04/04/08 07:00 AM
V
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
And thusly he marketed himself to the people as a prophet.

Galatians 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!