HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 55 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98189
04/14/08 07:14 PM
04/14/08 07:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Of course every sinful habit revealed is repented of. But that's not the same thing as every sinful habit.

MM: What is the difference between sinful habits that are revealed and sinful habits that are not revealed? In other words, why does the Holy Spirit reveal some sinful habits during the process that leads to rebirth, and not all of them? Why does He wait to reveal certain sinful habits until after they are born again? What criteria does He use to reveal some subcategories of sinful habits during the process of rebirth and not the rest until after they are born again?

Or, does it really matter? Does it matter if the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain subcategories of sinful habits (e.g. representative sins) until they are born again? Does it even matter if He never reveals them, if He allows them to sin in ignorance until they die or are translated? If so, can you name such a sinful habit?

In the past you have avoided these questions by saying, All that really matters is that we learn the truth about God's character, that we learn that He is loving and trustworthy, that He has never killed sinners in the past, that Jesus never killed sinners while here in the flesh, and that God is not the one who kills sinners in the lake of fire - if people learn these things about God they will learn not to sin, they will learn to be like Jesus.

For the sake of discussion, let's assume what you believe, whatever it is, is 100% correct. With this in mind, with what you believe is right, please answer the questions I posted above. Please do not disregard them and tell me why you think I've got it wrong, or that my questions do not focus on what you think is right. Thank you.

PS - Why do I have this sneaky suspicion you are not going to address my questions, that you are going to post something that doesn't deal with the content or intent of my questions? I hope I'm wrong.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98205
04/14/08 11:10 PM
04/14/08 11:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Holy Spirit reveals things to us as we are willing and able to deal with them.

MM, you said you agreed that the Holy Spirit does not reveal every sin, but only representative ones. So I'm not understanding your questions. Anything that would keep us from coming to Him, He reveals. Let's see if we agree on this, and we can go on from there.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98229
04/15/08 06:12 PM
04/15/08 06:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I am reposting the following:

Quote:
Tom, I'm the one who wrote these two statements, and I'm telling they do not contradict one another. I explained what I was trying to communicate.

Let me explain further. By "representative sins" I mean the subcategory. By "every single sin" I am referring to the many hundreds of individual sins that fall under the same subcategory.

For example, impatience is a subcategory. There are dozens of different ways and thousands of times we are impatient, but all of them fall under the subcategory of impatience. During the process that leads people to rebirth, the Holy Spirit may have referred them to 10 or 20 specific acts of impatience in order to help them understand impatience is a sinful habit that must be confessed and crucified before they can experience the miracle of rebirth.

Do you see what I mean?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98230
04/15/08 06:17 PM
04/15/08 06:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Let's see if we agree on this, and we can go on from there.

MM: Do you agree with what I posted in the last two posts?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98231
04/15/08 06:20 PM
04/15/08 06:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The Holy Spirit reveals things to us as we are willing and able to deal with them.

MM: Does He not reveal certain sinful habits because we are not willing to deal with them? In what way are we "able" to deal with them if we were willing?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98249
04/15/08 09:55 PM
04/15/08 09:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I'm the one who wrote these two statements, and I'm telling they do not contradict one another. I explained what I was trying to communicate.

Let me explain further. By "representative sins" I mean the subcategory. By "every single sin" I am referring to the many hundreds of individual sins that fall under the same subcategory.

Why do you make this distinction? Where does Scripture talk about subcategories?

Quote:
For example, impatience is a subcategory. There are dozens of different ways and thousands of times we are impatient, but all of them fall under the subcategory of impatience. During the process that leads people to rebirth, the Holy Spirit may have referred them to 10 or 20 specific acts of impatience in order to help them understand impatience is a sinful habit that must be confessed and crucified before they can experience the miracle of rebirth.

Why couldn't selfishness be a category, and lump everything under that?

Quote:
Do you see what I mean?

I understand the concept of subcategories, but don't see where you came up with this idea.

But let's go with it. A person does not have to confess every single sin which falls under a category. So there may be dozens or hundreds of ways in which they are impatient, some of which they are aware of, and some of which they aren't. Doesn't your theory say that they need to be made aware of all of these? If not, what is an example of a sin of impatience that a person does not need to be made aware of?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98250
04/15/08 09:57 PM
04/15/08 09:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Let's see if we agree on this, and we can go on from there.

MM: Do you agree with what I posted in the last two posts?

I see a post of mine which is in between. One of the two posts looks like questions. If you wish a specific answer to something regarding if I agree with it, perhaps you could state the point you're thinking of? (or perhaps this isn't necessary, because of the other posts we have going)

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98251
04/15/08 10:08 PM
04/15/08 10:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: The Holy Spirit reveals things to us as we are willing and able to deal with them.

MM: Does He not reveal certain sinful habits because we are not willing to deal with them? In what way are we "able" to deal with them if we were willing?

I'm thinking of the EGW quote which says that God brings us around on certain points if we are not willing to deal with them at a certain time. It's the same one Hakim mentioned. I asked if someone would post it, but I don't recall seeing it. I think I'd like to see what she wrote, and then comment further. I don't remember her wording.

We are able to deal with things by God's grace.

I phrased my comment the way I did because I recall her saying something very similar in regards to truth, and the parallel seemed appropriate.

I feel constrained to comment that I think your whole focus here is off base. If you look at Jesus' life, for example, I don't see Him spending time parsing the fine differences between categories of sinful behavior, or teaching that every sin had to be confessed, or anything like that. He spoke of His heavenly Father, and said, "If anyone thirst, let him come to Me and drink."

He told the following story:

Quote:
9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: (Luke 18)

According to the story, the publican asked for mercy with the words, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!" and received it. David says:

Quote:
16For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. (Ps. 51)

This is what I see in the publican. It seems to me that God is interested in one with a broken spirit, and a contrite heart; not someone concerned with lists (this looks like what the Pharisee was doing).

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98291
04/17/08 05:48 PM
04/17/08 05:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I understand the concept of subcategories, but don't see where you came up with this idea. But let's go with it. A person does not have to confess every single sin which falls under a category. So there may be dozens or hundreds of ways in which they are impatient, some of which they are aware of, and some of which they aren't. Doesn't your theory say that they need to be made aware of all of these? If not, what is an example of a sin of impatience that a person does not need to be made aware of?

MM: The ten commandments creates subcategories. Also, Sister White was shown the concept. All sins fall under Selfishness. Impatience is a subcategory. All forms of impatience falls under the subcategory of impatience. The specific ways we experience impatience is "representative" of the subcategory of impatience. During the process that leads to rebirth, the Holy Spirit reveals specific, representative acts of impatience to confess and forsake and crucfiy. He need not go back and reveal the hundreds of specific acts of impatience.

Impatience is impatience. Under the influence of the Holy Spirit we cannot experience any one of the many forms of impatience without realizing it is morally wrong. No act of impatience goes unknown. Before we act impatient, we are tempted to act impatient. When tempted to act impatient we have a choice - to be impatient or not to be impatient. We are not ignorant of the choices. There is no such as being impatient without realizing it. The Holy Spirit is on hand to make us fully aware of our choices.

Thus it is with all forms of sin, that is, all forms of sin as defined by the last six commandments.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98292
04/17/08 05:56 PM
04/17/08 05:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Of course every sinful habit revealed is repented of. But that's not the same thing as every sinful habit.

MM: What is the difference between sinful habits that are revealed and sinful habits that are not revealed? What makes them different?

Why does the Holy Spirit reveal some sinful habits during the process that leads to rebirth, but not all of them? What is it about some sinful habits that allows Him to wait until they after they are born again to reveal them? How are they different?

Or, does it really matter? Does it matter if the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain subcategories of sinful habits (e.g. representative sins) until they are born again?

Does it even matter if He never reveals them, if He allows them to sin in ignorance until they die or are translated? If so, can you name such a sinful habit?

Page 6 of 55 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!