HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,315 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 27 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98879
04/30/08 01:30 PM
04/30/08 01:30 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
She used a term she knew nobody in the world would understand but herself in "sinful nature." If she had simply said that Christ took a sinless human nature, that would have been clear; He would have had a nature that could become weary, hungry and thirsty, but one without tendencies to evil. Everyone would have understood that.

By no means! The expression “sinless human nature” would have been misunderstood, and the idea that Christ had some special power we don’t have would have been reinforced. She did apply some times the term “sinless humanity” to Christ’s human nature. But she wanted to emphasize that Christ, being “a man of our flesh, ... was compassed with the weakness of humanity” (16MR 181, 182), however she pointed out again and again that He had taken on Him “humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin” (Ibid.). The humanity that He took was without a taint of sin, not the humanity which He developed. He was born without a taint of sin. Besides, she has just one quote in which she says Christ took our sinful nature (which was republished some times). She preferred the term “fallen nature.”

Quote:
Regarding the Baker letter, it seems clear to me that she made the same points she always did, which is that Christ took our fallen, sinful nature, but never sinned.

Of course not.

“Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin, his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.”

Occam’s razor indicates here that “propensities” is synonym with “inclinations” or “tendencies,” as the dictionary defines the word, and that it refers to both inherited and cultivated tendencies to sin, as the text makes clear.

Quote:
R: After being alive, but before they sin, they still need a Savior.
T: They couldn't continue to be alive without a Savior.

This has nothing to do with being alive or not. If they die five hours after being born, that is, still before sinning, can they be found in heaven or not? Did they need a Savior to get there or not?

Quote:
Why do you conclude that one can only need a Savior if one is condemned?

“Condemned” means “condemned to not inherit eternal life.”

“Immortality, promised to man on condition of obedience, had been forfeited by transgression. Adam could not transmit to his posterity that which he did not possess; and there could have been no hope for the fallen race, had not God, by the sacrifice of his Son, brought immortality within their reach. While ‘death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned,’ Christ ‘hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.’ [Rom. 5:12; 2 Tim. 1:10.] And only through Christ can immortality be obtained.” {GC 533.1}

"If men do not make Christ their personal Saviour, and become true and pure and holy, there is only one course for the Lord to pursue. He must destroy the sinner, for evil natures cannot inherit the kingdom of God." {16MR 273.3}

Quote:
Again, regarding the "letters have been coming to me" quote, you're not tying back to anything Jones and Waggoner preached. You have to do that. The letters were coming in response to what Jones and Waggoner were preaching.

I see no evidence whatsoever that the letters received were necessarily related to Jones’ and Waggoner’s preaching. However, if they were, it was just because these preachers had touched the subject of Christ’s temptations and this had led people to think about it.

Quote:
How could such an endorsement be anything but a goof, if your view were correct? Have you read the sermon? Over 30 times he makes the point that Christ took our sinful flesh, flesh just like yours and mine. He also made the corporate arguments in regards to Romans 5:18 that I've shared. Really, I can think of almost nothing in that sermon you would agree with, yet Ellen White went bonkers over it.

Why would I not agree with it? It’s a nice sermon. He not even once said in that sermon that Christ had taken humanity with its tendencies to sin. I understand the “sinful flesh” he speaks about as being the body with which we are born. Sinful moral tendencies are in the mind – it’s these I don’t believe Christ possessed.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98883
04/30/08 02:51 PM
04/30/08 02:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:She used a term she knew nobody in the world would understand but herself in "sinful nature." If she had simply said that Christ took a sinless human nature, that would have been clear; He would have had a nature that could become weary, hungry and thirsty, but one without tendencies to evil. Everyone would have understood that.

R:By no means! The expression “sinless human nature” would have been misunderstood, and the idea that Christ had some special power we don’t have would have been reinforced.

?? Let's take this outside of an SDA conversation involving Ellen White. What power or issue are you talking about? I'm not aware of any Christian having the sort of problem you are talking about.

Before becoming an SDA, I belonged to a non-denominational Bible believing church. In regards to Christ, I believed what you believed, which is to say that Christ had a nature without tendencies to sin, like unfallen Adam had, but that Christ could become tired or hungry, etc. (My viewpoint changed when I read "The Desire of Ages") No one I've ever known believe that Christ had some special power attached to His human nature. It was just a human nature, but one without tendencies to sin.

It seems to me you are raising a non-existent issue, addressing questions people aren't asking. If the question is, "Did Christ inherit a nature with tendencies to sin?" that is a question that is asked, but if the question is "Did Christ inherit a nature with special powers that we don't have," I've never come across that question. Also, how would calling such a nature "sinless" enforce the idea that Christ's human nature would have these supposed special powers? What special power does the word "sinless" denote?

This term is commonly used today in Evangelical Christianity. Again, I know of no Evangelicals that believe that Christ's human nature had some special power. Calling it "sinless" simply means that His nature was like unfallen Adam's in that it had no tendencies to sin.

If what you had in mind was that Christ could be tempted, and could sin, stating that He had a sinless human nature would have no bearing on this, as there are those who believe that Christ took such a nature and could not be tempted, and those who believe He took such a nature and could be tempted.

Quote:
She did apply some times the term “sinless humanity” to Christ’s human nature, but she wanted to emphasize that Christ, being “a man of our flesh, ... was compassed with the weakness of humanity” (16MR 181, 182), however she pointed out again and again that He had taken on Him “humanity, perfectly identical with our own nature, except without the taint of sin” (Ibid.). The humanity that He took was without a taint of sin, not the humanity which He developed. He was born without a taint of sin.

If sinless humanity means "sinless nature" then the same objection you raised would apply, which is that this would be misunderstand as Christ's having some special power. But "sinless humanity" is easily understood as meaning that Christ didn't sin.

Here are some examples of her use of "taint of sin."

Quote:
"Learn of me," is the Saviour's command. Yes, learn of Him how to live the Christ life--a life pure and holy, free from any taint of sin. (In Heavenly Places 183)

Quote:
Christ came to receive baptism, not with confession of sins to repentance, for He was without the taint of sin. (LHU 33)

Being without the "taint of sin" = not having sins. In the first quote, we could hardly have a life free from any taint of sin if our sinful nature taints us.

Quote:
Besides, she has just one quote in which she says Christ took our sinful nature (which was republished some times). She preferred the term “fallen nature.”

Here are some "sinful nature" quotes:

Quote:
Clad in the vestments of humanity, the Son of God came down to the level of those He wished to save. In Him was no guile or sinfulness; He was ever pure and undefiled; yet He took upon Him our sinful nature. (ST 6/30/02)

Quote:
Daily the Saviour's compassion must be revealed. The example He has left must be followed. He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

Quote:
The apostle Paul clearly presents the relation between faith and the law under the new covenant. He says: "Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh"--it could not justify man, because in his sinful nature he could not keep the law--"God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 5:1; 3:31; 8:3, 4.

The first two quotes explicitly say that Christ took our sinful nature, and the last one implies it. If one considers the last quote, one can see the same argument being set forth that has been mentioned previously, which is that Christ took our human nature (i.e. sinful) in order that could keep the law "it could not justify man, because in his sinful nature he could not keep the law".

Quote:
Regarding the Baker letter, it seems clear to me that she made the same points she always did, which is that Christ took our fallen, sinful nature, but never sinned.

Of course not.

Of course not? Of course she would not continue to make the same points she made elsewhere?

From the Baker letter:

1.The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing.

2.He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.

Breaking this up further:
1.a.Adam was created a spotless being
1.b.He could fall
1.c.He did fall

2.a.Christ took human nature
2.b.Christ could fall
2.c.Christ did not fall

Immediately after saying that not for one minute was there in Him an evil propensity, she speaks of how Christ was tempted. She's talking about being tempted, being able to fall, and sinning. It seems clear Baker's teaching involved Christ's sinning, and not just the nature he assumed. You seem to have the idea that Baker's theology was the same as that of Haskell, Prescott, Jones, Waggoner, etc., and that she is correcting that theology. The probably that this hypothesis is true is exceedingly small. There are too many obstacles to overcome.

The point I've been repeatedly making is that one cannot reasonably interpret Ellen White's writings in a vacuum, as if she lived in a world by herself. Her teachings, and the teaching of Jones, Waggoner and Prescott on this subject were well known. For example, Haskell quoted from Ellen White in "The Desire of Ages" and explained what she wrote as meaning that Christ had "all the inherited inclinations" that we have.

What I quoted to you from Romans 8:3,4 comes from what Waggoner taught. He taught this before she did, and she's using the same formula he did.

She preached side by side with Jones and Waggoner. When their view on Christ's nature was questioned, she defended it.

Let's take any historical figure, say Abraham Lincoln, as an example. Let's say there's some phrase Lincoln used which could be understood by us, over 100 years later, in more than one way. But all of his contemporaries understood that phrase to mean a certain thing. Clearly a theory that would have Lincoln's phrase being correctly understood by people who lived more than a century after his death but misunderstood by his contemporaries would have to be viewed as suspect.

Yet this is what we're supposed to believe in regards to Ellen White. Modern day interpreters can supposedly better tell us what she meant than her contemporaries.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98889
04/30/08 04:10 PM
04/30/08 04:10 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
“Condemned” means “condemned to not inherit eternal life.”

“Immortality, promised to man on condition of obedience, had been forfeited by transgression. Adam could not transmit to his posterity that which he did not possess; and there could have been no hope for the fallen race, had not God, by the sacrifice of his Son, brought immortality within their reach. While ‘death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned,’ Christ ‘hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.’ [Rom. 5:12; 2 Tim. 1:10.] And only through Christ can immortality be obtained.” {GC 533.1}

If you tell me what you have in mind, rather than simply quoting things without comment, it's easier to figure out what you're trying to say.

You say condemned means "condemned not to have eternal life." Does that simply mean that we are mortal? So by saying that babies are condemned, you mean that they are mortal? If so, I agree. And I also agree that they need a Savior in order to have immortality. Is this your point? I'm inferring it is from the first quote.

Quote:
If men do not make Christ their personal Saviour, and become true and pure and holy, there is only one course for the Lord to pursue. He must destroy the sinner, for evil natures cannot inherit the kingdom of God. {16MR 273.3}

This seems out of place in a discussion regarding infants, since infants do not make Christ their personal Savior. We know that infants will not be destroyed, so it's pretty clear this quote does not apply to infants, isn't it? To make this clear, I'll substitute "infants" for "men."

Quote:
If infants do not make Christ their personal Saviour, and become true and pure and holy, there is only one course for the Lord to pursue. He must destroy the sinner, for evil natures cannot inherit the kingdom of God. {16MR 273.3}

This doesn't make sense, does it?

Quote:
I see no evidence whatsoever that the letters received were necessarily related to Jones’ and Waggoner’s preaching. However, if they were, it was just because these preachers had touched the subject of Christ’s temptations and this had led people to think about it.

The whole reason I've been bringing up this statement of hers is because of the historical context. She was preaching side by side with Jones and Waggoner. They went from place to place, preaching to youth, on righteousness by faith.

We have lots of examples of Jones and Waggoner's preaching. I'm not aware of any example where they made the argument you have suggested. A large weakness in your suggested interpretation is that it does not tie back to a question which could reasonably have been being asked, given what Jones and Waggoner actually preached.

Quote:
Why would I not agree with it? (Prescott's sermon)

Because you disagree with its themes. I'll quote from the sermon when I get home.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98892
04/30/08 04:58 PM
04/30/08 04:58 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
It seems to me you are raising a non-existent issue, addressing questions people aren't asking.

Look at one of your favorites.
 Quote:
Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if He had, He would have fallen under similar temptations. If He did not have man's nature, He could not be our example. If He was not a partaker of our nature, He could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for Him to yield to temptation, He could not be our helper. It was a solemn reality that Christ came to fight the battles as man, in man's behalf. His temptation and victory tell us that humanity must copy the Pattern; man must become a partaker of the divine nature. (5 SDABC 1082)

The possibility of Jesus sinning was definitely a point of concern. Hence the emphasis on Christ's taking man's nature.

The error being corrected here is the idea that if Jesus had man's nature, He would have fallen under similar temptations. But we know that Adam in Eden fell under temptations similar to what we face. Therefore, the error wasn't even about pre- vs post-Fall.

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
What special power does the word "sinless" denote?

Ask your postlapsarian friends. Everything I have ever read from a postlapsarian pen says that if Jesus had a sinless nature, He would have had a power not available to us. Priebe comes to mind, in particular. However, that idea is false, but on the other side of the road from the Holy Flesh people.

As I see it, "sinless" simply means "congruent with God's character." It says nothing about the ability to sin, since all the sinless angels have the ability to sin, and sinless man did sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98897
04/30/08 05:34 PM
04/30/08 05:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The possibility of Jesus sinning was definitely a point of concern. Hence the emphasis on Christ's taking man's nature.

The emphasis was on Christ's taking man's *fallen* nature.

Quote:
The error being corrected here is the idea that if Jesus had man's nature, He would have fallen under similar temptations. But we know that Adam in Eden fell under temptations similar to what we face. Therefore, the error wasn't even about pre- vs post-Fall.

There are several problems with this interpretation. First of all, nobody questions that Christ took the nature of a man. Secondly, nobody questions that unallen Adam could have resisted temptation. Thirdly, and most importantly, as this is the point I've been making, the whole reason I brought the quote up in the first place, is that it doesn't fit with the context.

My point has been that you are suggesting interpretations of what EGW wrote without taking into account the historical setting. You're looking at the words as if nobody existed but Ellen White. But there are historical contexts to take into consideration.

In this particular case, Ellen White was in the midst of a campaign where she was preaching side by side with Jones and Waggoner. The people had questions regarding what Jones and Waggoner preached regarding man's nature. We know what they taught, which is that Christ took our fallen nature in order to be tempted as we are. For example:

Quote:
How fully did Christ share our common humanity?" by stating: "In His humanity Christ partook of our sinful, fallen nature. If not, then He was not ‘made like unto His brethren,’ was not ‘in all points tempted like as we are,’ did not overcome as we have to overcome, and is not, therefore the complete and perfect Saviour man needs and must have to be saved. The idea that Christ was born of an immaculate or sinless mother, inherited no tendencies to sin, and for this reason did not sin, removes Him from the realm of a fallen world, and from the very place where help is needed. On His human side, Christ inherited just what every child of Adam inherits,—a sinful nature. On the divine side, from His very conception He was begotten and born of the Spirit. And all this was done to place mankind on vantage-ground, and to demonstrate that in the same way every one who is ‘born of the Spirit’ may gain like victories over sin in his own sinful flesh. Thus each one is to overcome as Christ overcame. Revelation 3:21. Without this birth there can be no victory over temptation, and no salvation from sin. John 3:3-7.

The people heard them preaching that Christ took our sinful nature, and asked how this could be, because if He took a nature like ours, we would fall to similar temptations that we fall to. EGW answered that if Christ had not taken our nature, 1)He could not have been our example; 2)He could not have been tempted as we are; 3)He could not have been our helper (being tempted as we are implies the possibility of yielding to temptation).

This interpretation ties back to what Jones and Waggoner preached.

Quote:
Ask your postlapsarian friends. Everything I have ever read from a postlapsarian pen says that if Jesus had a sinless nature, He would have had a power not available to us.

This is referring to the quote that says if we give to Christ's human nature a power that it is not possible for ours to have, we break the completeness of His humanity. The power being spoken of here is the power of being sinless, which, obviously, a sinless nature has. Your question here clearly doesn't apply to my comment, as there is no possible confusion here. Rosangela said EGW avoided saying that Christ had a sinless human nature because that would cause confusion. What confusion would this cause? I don't see any.

As I pointed out, before being an SDA I believed Christ took a pre-lapsarian nature, as did the others in the congregation, and we never had any confusion that Christ's human nature had some special powers. I've never met anybody who had this question.

I keep hearing explanations of Ellen White's writings that involve her answering questions that I've never heard anybody ask. In addition to requiring that she used language that nobody understood, which she knew about, but didn't bother to correct, except for an obscure individual in Australia. Pretend you don't have a vested interested in what she's saying. How likely is this scenario?

On the other hand, I've met many people who question whether or not fallen man can fully overcome sin, which is what Jones and Waggoner taught. They taught that Christ took our fallen nature and because of this made it possible for us to overcome. There are many who feel that if Christ could not have taken our fallen nature because they don't believe that those with a fallen nature can fully overcome sin.

Quote:
As I see it, "sinless" simply means "congruent with God's character." It says nothing about the ability to sin, since all the sinless angels have the ability to sin, and sinless man did sin.

So what would be the problem in saying that Christ took a sinless human nature?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98899
04/30/08 05:39 PM
04/30/08 05:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold and Rosangela,

If Jesus inherited a form of sinless nature, a nature not tainted or corrupted by sin, a nature that did not war against the will of God, then He should have been able to develop sinless traits of character relying on the tools and nature He was born with, rather than having to partake of His Father's nature.

Did Jesus lay aside both His divine nature and His human nature and partake of His Father's nature? If not, why not? That is, why did He partake of His Father's nature in order to develop sinless traits of character? Why didn't He just rely on His own human nature like Adam did before the Fall, like holy angels and unfallen FMAs do now?

How was His human nature different than our human nature? What is it about our sinful nature that made it wrong or unsuitable for Him to inherit?

Why is it that we can be born again with a sinful nature and overcome as Jesus overcame, and yet it wasn't possible for Him to be born with a sinful nature and overcome?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98993
05/02/08 11:45 PM
05/02/08 11:45 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

You are ignoring the fact that the debate between peccability and impeccability has been going on for centuries, and that a great part of Christianity believes that Christ could not sin. Just take a look at some links:

http://www.sharperiron.org/showthread.php?p=7377

http://xrysostom.blogspot.com/2005/07/could-jesus-sin.html

http://www.drink-deep.com/2007/11/matthew-41-11-getting-started.html

http://www.growingchristians.org/dfgc/impeccab.htm

http://www.apostolic.net/biblicalstudies/temptationofchrist.htm

In the link http://www.letusreason.org/Doct3.htm , for instance, the author falls into the pitfall Arnold pointed out:

Quote:
In our fallen humanity we cannot act apart from our nature. Jesus however did not have the sin nature that we have. He was free to act perfectly in all situations. He acted upon his sinless nature obeying another's will, that of his Father. He was not able to go against God's will because He did not have the nature of sin to have that possibility.

This is completely false. If this was true, Adam wouldn’t have been able to sin, either.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98994
05/02/08 11:47 PM
05/02/08 11:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mike,

I think you are confusing divine nature with divine power. The divine nature is God’s nature of love with which man was created and which he lost at the fall. Being a partaker of the divine nature simply means being in harmony with the divine character – being in God’s image.

“He [Christ] came to impart his own divine nature, his own image, to the repentant, believing soul.” {YI, June 2, 1898 par. 8}

Although Adam was created in the divine image, he, in face of temptation, could not (and did not) develop a sinless character without laying hold of divine power. Neither could Christ.

“Satan charmed the first Adam by his sophistry, just as he charms men and women today, leading them to believe a lie. Adam did not reach above his humanity for divine power. He believed the words of Satan. But the second Adam was not to become the enemy's bondslave.” {ST, December 3, 1902 par. 6}

Quote:
How was His human nature different than our human nature? What is it about our sinful nature that made it wrong or unsuitable for Him to inherit?

The satanic nature of selfishness with which we are born.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98997
05/03/08 01:52 AM
05/03/08 01:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Did Jesus lay aside both His divine nature and His human nature and partake of His Father's nature? If not, why not?

From EGW:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted.(MM 181)

He took our sinful nature upon His own sinless nature, so He didn't lay aside His divine nature.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98998
05/03/08 02:20 AM
05/03/08 02:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You are ignoring the fact that the debate between peccability and impeccability has been going on for centuries, and that a great part of Christianity believes that Christ could not sin. Just take a look at some links:

I didn't ignore this. I mentioned that there are those who believe that Christ took a sinless human nature, yet could be tempted. Therefore if EGW's point was simply that Christ could be tempted, all she had to do was say that. Certainly it wasn't necessary for her to argue that Christ took a fallen human nature in order for it to be possible for Him to be tempted. As you point out, unfallen Adam was tempted, even though he had the nature of unfallen Adam.

Quote:
Christ's divine nature guaranteed His sinlessness. Even if Christ's human nature could sin, because He was God as well, there was no possibility of Him sinning.

From the first link you referenced. This has nothing to do with what EGW was arguing, nor what you suggest she was arguing against. This person says that Christ's divine nature would not let Him sin. Ellen White argued that Christ could sin because He took a nature like ours. EGW's argument does not address this person's point.

Anyway, this doesn't matter, as it doesn't address the issue, which is that Ellen White was preaching with Jones and Waggoner, and they preached like the following:

Quote:
In His humanity Christ partook of our sinful, fallen nature. If not, then He was not "made like unto His brethren," was not "in all points tempted like as we are," did not overcome as we have to overcome, and is not, therefore the complete and perfect Saviour man needs and must have to be saved. The idea that Christ was born of an immaculate or sinless mother, inherited no tendencies to sin, and for this reason did not sin, removes Him from the realm of a fallen world, and from the very place where help is needed. On His human side, Christ inherited just what every child of Adam inherits,—a sinful nature. On the divine side, from His very conception He was begotten and born of the Spirit. And all this was done to place mankind on vantage-ground, and to demonstrate that in the same way every one who is ‘born of the Spirit’ may gain like victories over sin in his own sinful flesh. Thus each one is to overcome as Christ overcame. Revelation 3:21. Without this birth there can be no victory over temptation, and no salvation from sin. John 3:3-7.

The people heard this preaching and had questions about it. They didn't preach in a manner that would lead to the questions you are suggesting Ellen White answered. You are reading her writings without considering what was happening at the time she wrote them. What was happening was that Jones and Waggoner were preaching that Christ took our fallen nature, and were making arguments like the one I just listed.

Reply Quote
Page 14 of 27 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!