HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Meteor Showers #41737
07/24/01 05:54 AM
07/24/01 05:54 AM
Wendy F  Offline OP
Veteran Member
USA
An apparent meteor shower Monday evening triggered a flood of calls to emergency authorities in widespread areas of Pennsylvania, with other reports coming in from Virginia to New York.

"We originally got a report of a plane crash and now it seems there were multiple meteors coming down," said supervisor Tara Dolzani of the Schuylkill County communications center.

A Montoursville state police dispatcher said people reported seeing a "big red ball" streaking across the sky. There was one report of broken windows north of the station from the concussion.

People reported seeing the flaming meteors in a number of places in Luzerne and Schuylkill counties, in the Harrisburg area and as far west as Westmoreland County. There were reports of explosions in Pottsville and in Tioga County. Some callers felt their homes shake and others feared a plane crash or thought it was thunder.

In Pottsville, James Mennig, 22, and his friend Brian Faust, 21, said they saw the spectacle at about 6:30 p.m.

"It looked like a plane that was totally engulfed in flames. It was about the size of that Jeep Cherokee," Mennig said, pointing across the street to a parked vehicle. He ran inside and told his mother what he saw, he said, but she didn't believe him.

"His mom thought he was on some kind of nasty drugs or something," said Faust, who was holding his 1-year-old daughter, Krista.

They said they drove to the place where the object, which was followed by a trail of smoke had appeared to go.

"There were about 13, 14 cars in the area, and there were cops everywhere," Faust said.

Meanwhile, in Cape May, N.J., Joe Poole was driving through town around 6:15 p.m. when he saw a meteor over an inlet. It was moving toward the horizon in the northwest, said Poole, who watched it for about 10 seconds before it disappeared.

"It seemed to be a very pinkish red with a white center," said Poole, 55, a Cape May resident who designs sea search and rescue gear. "There was some blue and green in its tail."

"It was like a Roman candle," he said. "And it was large."

At McGuire Air Force Base in Wrightstown, N.J., Airman Sharon Carpenter was on break around 6 p.m. in the air traffic control tower when she looked up and saw an orange streak north of the base.

In less than a second, the westbound streak was gone, seen by no other air traffic or radar controllers in the tower.

"I spent the rest of the night trying to prove to them that I wasn't going crazy," Carpenter said.

In Buffalo, N.Y., National Weather Service observers received reports of a bright meteor seen Monday evening in the western and southern regions of the state.

"We got our first call at about 6:25 from the Monroe County Sheriff's Department," said Dave Sage, a meteorologist with the weather service in Buffalo. "Then the calls just started coming in."

Sightings were reported in Easton, Md., in the Wilmington, Del., metropolitan area, as far south as Alexandria, Va., and as far east at Cape May, N.J.

Alexander Wolszczan, an astronomy professor at Pennsylvania State University, said that the thunder or house shaking that people felt could be the result of a sound wave produced by the meteor exploding in the Earth's atmosphere and breaking up.

Such an event also produces a spectacular light display, and is called a meteor shower, Wolszczan said. Normally, a meteor shower is a silent event, he said. But for a meteor to create a concussive sound wave, or even hit the earth, is a "matter of size and speed and composition."

Often, a meteor can be composed of rock hundreds of feet in diameter before it burns up in the Earth's atmosphere.

"It would mostly be rock, of course," Wolszczan said. "But if you envision a rock 300 meters in diameter, then the impact of something like that would have consequences that I wouldn't want to envision."

[This message has been edited by Wendy Forsyth (edited July 24, 2001).]

Re: Meteor Showers #41738
07/24/01 12:14 PM
07/24/01 12:14 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
It sounds like there were fireballs involved in the "show."

I saw a dramatic meteor a couple of years ago chugging along from Windsor towards London, Ontario. It was dropping sparks and could have easily been mistaken for a doomed plane because it kept it's altitude for a long distance.

I'm quite interested in the sounds involved in your report. Were any craters found?

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Re: Meteor Showers #41739
07/25/01 03:53 AM
07/25/01 03:53 AM
Wendy F  Offline OP
Veteran Member
USA
I'll let you know if I hear of any craters. What got my attention also were the "fireballs". This always reminds me of Mrs.White's vision of fireballs falling on houses. I'm wondering if we are watching her predictions be fulfilled and most just won't realize it. I'll keep you up to date.

God bless,
Wendy

Re: Meteor Showers #41740
07/24/01 07:27 PM
07/24/01 07:27 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
From what I've read, authorities are checking things out. One report says that part of a farmer's field was charred but there were no solid bits of space rock on the ground. Over the radio I heard one expert say it was one rock that fell from the sky, other reports put the count at several.

The CNN site says that one of their reporters saw a great flash in the corner of his eye. When he turned to look, the phenomena was over.

If we are heading over a meteor shower belt, action happens whenever the earth turns--so watch out tonight!

The fireball I saw a couple of years ago was part of the debris field that hit the earth in 1833. The "experts" said that we would have lots of small space dust flying about making a grand show, but nothing would hit the earth. It seems that they didn't anticipate the large fireballs that were seen throughout the world with that one!

------------------
You have done many good things for me, Lord, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. Psalm 119:65-66 NLT

Re: Meteor Showers #41741
08/18/01 12:43 PM
08/18/01 12:43 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
Reminds me of the intense metor shower in the 1960's. They were so many I could see without a flashlight. I was afraid they would hit the hiuse, they would hit trees in the distance & explode once in a while; but kept up till dawn.

I had woke up hours before dawn because of the occasional noise & possibly God woke me up. I was just a kid in junior highschool then. On the way to the bus stop at the gravel road, i noticed one of the big pine trees having some branches broken & the ground plowed up a little way into the woods.

I was often seeing indian pipes around there, so I took a few minutes to look. Where dirt & underbrusg & pineneedles were tore up, I dug out a basketball sized fragment like a big coal clinker. I took it to school and took a lot of guff on the bus because everyone called it a clinker. (got cut on a sharp edge too)

The science teacher sent off a chunk & it was a mineral based metorite alright. My alcholic step dad kicked my butt and made me throw it down over the cliff into the mud in the hollow. But I know what I saw, millions of metors burning & falling & got to hold one.

Gotta go, Linda says she has song service.

Bye.

------------------
Edward F Sutton

Re: Meteor Showers #41742
08/18/01 06:06 PM
08/18/01 06:06 PM
R
Rick Dewees  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Strathmore,Alberta, Canada

The meteor display has been going on for several weeks. We are in the Pereids meteor shower from July 23-Aug 22 2001. There is approx. 80 siteings per hr. with the peak being Aug 11/12.
The link below will give some more info.
http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/perseids.html

------------------
James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Re: Meteor Showers #41743
08/18/01 07:35 PM
08/18/01 07:35 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you for that link.

Daryl

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!