HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,671
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,801 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45914
11/26/02 02:10 PM
11/26/02 02:10 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I took this quote from another topic and wish to pursue this quote and thought here:

quote:

God was ready for the 'if man should sin', but he did not foresee that the 'if' will happen.

To me the above quote limits God, and I don't believe nothing is impossible for God which includes His foreknowledge or knowing what will happen in the future, otherwise, prophecy (fulfilled and not yet fulfilled couldn't exist.

What do you think?

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45915
11/26/02 10:26 PM
11/26/02 10:26 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
How about this as an example of the foreknowledge of God, or in this case, Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

quote:

Mark 11:1 And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples,
2 And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him.
3 And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.
4 And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him.
5 And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?
6 And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.

It is obvious to me that the Lord knew that the colt would be tied up there before it happened.

I am sure we can find others like this that shows the foreknowledge of God.

Isn't that what prophecy is also all about?

How could God know about the rise and fall of nations as he did relating to the dream of Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 2 unless it had to do with His foreknowledge of these things happening well before they ever happened from Babylon to Rome and beyond, even to our day and beyond that?

[ November 26, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45916
11/27/02 02:49 AM
11/27/02 02:49 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I agree with your observations, Daryl. I believe eternity is like watching a rerun for God. Knowing everything single detail in advance makes life very fun for God. He gets to enjoy it twice.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45917
11/27/02 08:13 PM
11/27/02 08:13 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
I agree with your observations, Daryl. I believe eternity is like watching a rerun for God. Knowing everything single detail in advance makes life very fun for God. He gets to enjoy it twice.

I never thought about it quite like that before, that God gets to enjoy it twice. [Smile]

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45918
11/27/02 08:37 PM
11/27/02 08:37 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
If you are up to some heavy thinking, read THE OPENESS OF GOD, and I beleive that Richard Rice wrote it.

NOTE: My mention is not to be deemed agreement.

That book presents an altelrnate view.

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45919
04/26/03 07:50 PM
04/26/03 07:50 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Greetings

The concepts that have been presented here form an abstract knowledge of one form or another

Prophesy is not intended to tell us that God knows the future of the choices and actions of his creation as some skit or story read, that will be played out; nor that such type of foreknowledge is what ascertains that sin will rise no more. The scripture tells us:
    Daniel 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
Prophesy is based and intended to reveal that God has mastery (rules) in the kingdom of men

Abstract Foreknowledge
One way people think (usually the more scholarly ones) that God knows everything is that since God created everything including something called 'time', that therefore he is outside of the realm of 'time', another dimension. This sounds reasonable. Being outside the realm of time, he therefore is not subject to it, and hence yesterday, tomorrow, and today is all the same and he can see it all as in a panorama. In a real sense however that would mean that for God everything is always happening and nothing ever happened, because he is outside time. Hence for God there never was a time when there was no sin, and there never will be a time when there is no sin for it is all always there. Further comments should not be necessary

Another deviation of that is the view that time is the travel of the speed of light. Theoretically if you travel faster than the speed of light you go back in time. This however breaks down because light can only reflect that which has transpired and therefore can never show that which has not happened.

Others still simply do not think about it or try to understand it, so they just simply accept that he knows, and because they do not understand it, it is abstract for them. To them it is perhaps something like a crystal ball or book read or movie seen or some other means whereby God knows.

Observation
One observation that I would like to put forth is this: The very argument used at any time to defend the ability of God to foreknow in an abstract sense destroys his ability to be able to do anything about it. For the very fact that God has 'seen what will happen' in one of these abstract senses, means that He cannot do anything about it. If he were to do something about it to change it, than his sense would have been wrong.

The question then:

• Is God able to know the future and also at the same time be able to alter it according to his will, to accomplish his purpose and end? If so then God's foreknowledge is not abstract but based on understanding.

Second question is:

• What abilities and powers has he given to his creation and how this interplays with his purposes? This also establishes our responsibility and accountability.

Knowledge based on understanding
God's foreknowledge is not abstract but it is based on understanding. It ought to be needless to say that his knowledge is complete in all science and physics, as he is the creator of it. His knowledge is result of complete understanding of his creation, the abilities he has given them and the responsibilities he requires of them, and the means of accomplishing them.

He also knows what he purposes and is able to bring it to pass.

Shalom

[ April 26, 2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: John Boskovic ]

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45920
04/27/03 03:47 AM
04/27/03 03:47 AM
B
Boblee  Offline
Keene, TX, USA
Daryl,

Why does it bother you that there may be limits to God's abilities? It seems that attributing to Him abilities which He does not possess, or at least does not claim, would be a far more troublesome concept.

He does not claim to be omniscient, for instance, nor omnipotent. These are attributes which humans have placed on Him. And omnipresence is clearly a fable. God has been seen walking in a garden and in an oven, sitting in a chair, flying an airplane and a helicopter, wrestling with a man, and eating food (flesh food at that!). As for foreknowledge, virtually all prophecy consists of declarations of that which He is going to do. The rest is clearly conditional. As for the colt in the above story, we sometimes forget that Jesus was in constant contact with the angels who could easily inform Him where to find the colt (or even tie up a colt where Jesus said it would be).

On the other hand, there is the question of who originated sin. It seems obvious that if God knew in advance which being would rebel against Him or which planet would be trapped in sin but God created that being or that planet anyhow, then God must be charged with originating sin. I find it impossible in my soul to accept that charge.

Also, I find no physical or philosophical reason to believe that God is outside of time. I am aware that modern physics has postulated some strange ideas about the nature of time, but so far, none of it has been proven. Physical objects may age more rapidly in some conditions than others, but that does not necessarily mean time itself can be modified.

When considering the attributes of God, there is one point which should be made. We have three sources of information. One, that which God claims about Himself. Two, things which people have observed God doing. And three, things which people say about God. Most of the "impossible" concepts people have developed about God's abilities come from that third source, some Biblical, some non-Biblical things people say about God. If we limit our concepts to that which God says about Himself and that which He has been observed doing, a much different picture emerges which, to me, is much easier to believe. No longer do we have to feel that if Superman can do it, or if Wonder Woman can do it, or if Santa Claus can do it, or if Dr. Who can do it, God must be able to do it too.

Bob Lee

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45921
04/27/03 04:55 AM
04/27/03 04:55 AM
D
Donovan Wallace  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Ottawa
Sometime ago it occurred to me that the statement "Let us make man in our image" is probably not well understood. Does this only refer to man's physical aspects? The very fact that we are each held responsible for our faith and actions means that God has given each one a key attribute that He possess i.e. the power of choice and the ability to affect an outcome with eternal consequences.

If God is merely watching some skit being played out then do we really have free choice? The idea of precise foreknowledge contradicts the whole theme of the "great controversy".

Scientist sometimes use the concepts of determinism and convergence to describe the behaviour of complex systems. In nature many things are not deterministic i.e. one cannot "precisely" predict how something will unfold step by step. But an astute observer who understands the principles of nature can acurately predict the convergence or outcome of a system.

Being the creator, God certainly understands all the principles and exactly where our actions will lead us but he gave us true freedom of choice.

If I know precisely that in a few days my young son will find the nearest metal implement and insert it into an AC wall plug electrocuting himself, I am guilty of manslaughter if I don't prevent it.

I must agree with Boblee on this one. Our beliefs and concepts of God should be limited to what is clearly revealed. Everything else is hearsay.

dw

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45922
04/28/03 03:23 AM
04/28/03 03:23 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought it was a given and unquestionable fact about the foreknowledge of God as proven by all the prophetic utterances of all of His prophets.

Seeing that there is some question here about God's foreknowledge, I think we had better do a Bible study on that to see whether or not God is able to know precisely what will happen before it actually happens.

Let the Bible study on this begin, or continue. [Smile]

Re: Does God Foresee or Foreknow What Will Happen Before It Happens, Such As Sin? #45923
04/28/03 03:47 AM
04/28/03 03:47 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Didn't God foreknow that Christ would be betrayed by one of His own disciples even specifically including the betrayal for thirty pieces of silver?

quote:

THE PROPHECY:
Zechariah 11:12
And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver.

Psalms 41:9
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.

THE FULFILLMENT:
Matthew 26:14
Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests,
15 And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver.

This prophecy was fulfilled as specifically as it was predicted with only one exception which is that the prophecy did not name the betrayer by name.

I am sure there are other texts out there that will prove the foreknowledge of God, for to say otherwise limits God of whom nothing is impossible for Him except those things which He already stated He would never do.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!