HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,683
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is sin? #117696
08/16/09 07:57 PM
08/16/09 07:57 PM
J
jibb444  Offline OP
Posting New Member
Indiana, USA
I have looked around these posts to find some information on sin. I didn't see what I was really looking for so I have decided to just ask in a new thread.
I have thought that sin was simply transgression of the Law of God. However after some discussions with others it doesn't seem to be so simple or is it? If anyone could give their thoughts and opinions along with scripture on this I would be most appreciative.

If this is on another post please accept my sincere apoligies and direct me there. Thank you

Last edited by jibb444; 08/16/09 08:23 PM.
Re: What is sin? [Re: jibb444] #117697
08/16/09 10:35 PM
08/16/09 10:35 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I think that transgression of the law of God (1 John 3:4) is the most complete definition for sin.
Of course you could say that sin is "whatever is not from faith" (Rom. 14:23), but if you do not have faith you are already a transgressor of the first commandment, for how can someone love God supremely and still lack faith in Him? "Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him" (Heb. 11:6).
Of course you could also say that sin is failing to do what you know is right to do. "Whoever knows what is right to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin" (James 4:17). But failing to do what is right is also a transgression of the law. If you fail to love/help/do good to someone, you are robbing that person of the good you should have done to him/her, and you are a transgressor of the 6th commandment. And if you fail to love/honor/serve God in some way, you are also robbing God, and are a transgressor of both the 1st and the 6th commandments.
I suppose we could also say that sin is rebellion against God - but this is, again, a transgression of the first commandment.
Therefore, I think any definition you could give to sin would qualify it as a transgression of the law.

Re: What is sin? [Re: Rosangela] #117698
08/16/09 11:20 PM
08/16/09 11:20 PM
J
jibb444  Offline OP
Posting New Member
Indiana, USA
Do you mean the 8th commandment instead of the 6th?

Re: What is sin? [Re: jibb444] #117703
08/17/09 01:08 AM
08/17/09 01:08 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Sorry. Yes, the 8th.

Re: What is sin? [Re: jibb444] #117721
08/17/09 06:13 PM
08/17/09 06:13 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: jibb444
I have looked around these posts to find some information on sin. I didn't see what I was really looking for so I have decided to just ask in a new thread.
I have thought that sin was simply transgression of the Law of God. However after some discussions with others it doesn't seem to be so simple or is it? If anyone could give their thoughts and opinions along with scripture on this I would be most appreciative.

If this is on another post please accept my sincere apoligies and direct me there. Thank you
are you looking for more specific than general, such as?

Quote:
"I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him. The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy. I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment was as a robe and a diadem. I was eyes to the blind, and feet was I to the lame. I was a father to the poor: and the cause which I knew not I searched out." Job 29:12-16. {MB 22.4}
this is more along the lines of what righteousness is, since job was declared righteous, than naming particular sins. i would think that not doing these things would be sin. going through the bible, especially the prophets, God gets real specific in the kind of behavior He wants from us.

if this isnt what you had in mind, disregard. smile

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What is sin? [Re: teresaq] #117726
08/18/09 03:32 AM
08/18/09 03:32 AM
J
jibb444  Offline OP
Posting New Member
Indiana, USA
Well, I have been told and have believed myself that sin was transgression of the law and that without the law there would be no sin. While discussing this with someone they said that sin was more then just the 10 commandments of God. They used fornification as an example. I had never really questioned this before but I could not see which commandment fornification would fall under. By the information you gave it looks to be the first commandment.

But if this is true wouldn't all sin fall under the first commandment since sinning to start with means that you are not supremely loving God?

Re: What is sin? [Re: Tom] #117729
08/18/09 04:53 AM
08/18/09 04:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Fornication comes under several. Perhaps the clearest is the second, which speaks of idols (or the first, which speaks of having other gods). The New Testament is clear that fornication is a sin, so to deliberately practice a sin would be to have an idol, or other god before God. One could also see it as stealing, or adultery (if lusting after after a woman is adultery, surely fornication is).

If you're talking about in Old Testament times, then it's not so clear.

Quote:
But if this is true wouldn't all sin fall under the first commandment since sinning to start with means that you are not supremely loving God?

Yes, surely.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is sin? [Re: jibb444] #117730
08/18/09 05:17 AM
08/18/09 05:17 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: jibb444
Well, I have been told and have believed myself that sin was transgression of the law and that without the law there would be no sin. While discussing this with someone they said that sin was more then just the 10 commandments of God. They used fornification as an example. I had never really questioned this before but I could not see which commandment fornification would fall under. By the information you gave it looks to be the first commandment.

when i read ellen white there are places where she enumerates sins that would go under various headings.

for example:
The ninth commandment requires of us an inviolable regard for exact truth in every declaration by which the character of our fellow men may be affected. The tongue, which is kept so little under the control of the human agent, is to be bridled by strong conscientious principles, by the law of love toward God and man. {SD 64.2}
False-speaking in any matter, every attempt or purpose to deceive our neighbor, is here included. An intention to deceive is what constitutes falsehood. By a glance of the eye, a motion of the hand, an expression of the countenance, as falsehood may be told as effectually as by words. All intentional overstatement, every hint or insinuation calculated to convey an erroneous or exaggerated impression, even the statement of facts in such a manner as to mislead, is falsehood. This precept forbids every effort to injure our neighbor's reputation by misrepresentation or evil surmising, by slander or tale-bearing. Even the intentional suppression of truth, by which injury may result to others, is a violation of the ninth commandment. {SD 64.3}
He [Jesus] teaches that the exact truth should be the law of speech. "Let your speech be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay." . . . These words condemn all those meaningless phrases and expletives that border on profanity. They condemn the deceptive compliments, the evasion of truth, the flattering phrases, the exaggerations, the misrepresentations in trade, that are current in society and in the business world. They teach that no one who tries to appear what he is not, or whose words do not convey the real sentiment of his heart, can be called truthful. . . . {SD 64.4}
Truth is of God; deception, in every one of its myriad forms, is of Satan. . . . We can not speak the truth unless our minds are continually guided by Him who is truth.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: What is sin? [Re: teresaq] #117810
08/20/09 01:41 AM
08/20/09 01:41 AM
J
James Saptenno  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2012
Dedicated Member
Jakarta, Indonesia
Sin is our character!

Sin is our carnal mind!

Sin is self love, self seeking, the love for self.

Without transgressing God's law, we already live in sin, having a defect character that is sin, and must die for it, for what we are.

In His love

Re: What is sin? [Re: James Saptenno] #117811
08/20/09 01:47 AM
08/20/09 01:47 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
James, self-love is a transgression of the first commandment. If you love yourself supremely, you can't love God supremely. Before you are a transgressor of the law outwardly, you are already a transgressor inwardly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by Daryl. 06/17/24 02:24 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!