HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100166
06/25/08 05:40 AM
06/25/08 05:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
R: What were the bad things that happened to Satan because he lied to our first parents? He only will face bad consequences because he will have to face judgment.
T: Sin is not innocuous. It has a negative impact upon the sinner always. The impact may not be clear immediately, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

That’s the point. It has a negative impact because God created us in such a way that evil would have a negative impact on us.

It's not possible for God to create a being with free will such that evil would not have have an impact on said being.

Quote:
It’s not just a “natural result.”

That evil does bad things to people with free will is not because God did anything special to make this happen, but because evil is, well, evil. Evil is contrary to God's character.

It's simply not possible for a being to act contrary to how God acts without bad things resulting. God is love. To act contrary to God's character is to act contrary to love. If one acts contrary to love, then how can something good result?

When you say that God created us such that evil has a bad effect upon us implies God could have created in some other way, so that evil would not have had a bad effect. How could God have done this?

From your quote:

Quote:
That which we do to others, whether it be good or evil, will surely react upon ourselves, in blessing or in cursing. Whatever we give, we shall receive again.

This agrees with what I've been saying. This is the cause and effect.

Quote:
Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness. It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this. He would lead us to abhor our own hardness of heart and to open our hearts to let Jesus abide in them. And thus, out of evil, good is brought, and what appeared a curse becomes a blessing.

This is not speaking to the fact that bad results come of evil, or that good results come from doing good, but that God causes us to abhor our own hardness of heart. What does God do this? Precisely because death is the inevitable result of sin. God has to rescue us from sin, or it will destroy us, so all His efforts our in this direction.

Quote:
If the truth is clearly understood and then rejected or set aside, this is a willful sin. It’s very simple. No need to complicate it.

“For if we sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.”

After Lucifer's resentment against God and Christ, God counseled with Lucifer and explained to him the truth regarding His Son. The Lucifer had received the knowledge of the truth. So "there remained no more sacrifice for sins." And yet, after this, God offered Lucifer pardon "again and again." Interesting, isn't it?

Quote:
You must not only receive light but understand it.

About Lucifer. For a long time he was deluded, thinking that he was right and God was wrong. It was when he was convinced that it was he who was in the wrong and that God was, after all, right, and then refused to submit to God’s authority, that he sinned willfully.

Again, all that's necessary is to look at the written record.

Quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of the Father, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. He worked with mysterious secrecy, and for a time concealed his real purpose under an appearance of reverence for God. He began to insinuate doubts concerning the laws that governed heavenly beings, intimating that though laws might be necessary for the inhabitants of the worlds, angels, being more exalted, needed no such restraint, for their own wisdom was a sufficient guide....

Thus while working to excite opposition to the law of God and to instill his own discontent into the minds of the angels under him, he was ostensibly seeking to remove dissatisfaction and to reconcile disaffected angels to the order of heaven. While secretly fomenting discord and rebellion, he with consummate craft caused it to appear as his sole purpose to promote loyalty and to preserve harmony and peace. (PP 37)

This is a description of willful sin.

Quote:
The exaltation of the Son of God as equal with the Father was represented as an injustice to Lucifer, who, it was claimed, was also entitled to reverence and honor.

Lucifer knew this wasn't true. The truth had already been explained to him. He willfully lied. That's a sin, a willful sin.

Quote:
God Himself had established the order of heaven; and in departing from it, Lucifer would dishonor his Maker and bring ruin upon himself. But the warning, given in infinite love and mercy, only aroused a spirit of resistance. Lucifer allowed his jealousy of Christ to prevail, and became the more determined.

This quote is from earlier. Lucifer was given a warning. How did he respond to the warning? With a spirit of resistance. This is sin! He "allowed his jealousy of Christ to prevail." This is sin. If we allow our jealousy to prevail against us, this is sin.

Quote:
Yes, the story of His crucifixion! Christ could show compassion to people and forgive their sins exactly because He was going to suffer, in their stead, the punishment for those sins.

Please tell me where Jesus said this. Where did Jesus say, "I can be compassionate to people, and forgive your sins, only because I will suffer the punishment for them." Where?

What I read is that when the woman caught in adultery was cast before Christ He said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.... Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." I have never read Him saying, "Because I will suffer the punishment for your sins I do not condemn you. God and sin no more."

When He forgave the paralytic, He said the same thing. "I forgive you. Don't sin, lest a worse thing come upon you." That was it. Nothing like "I forgive you because I am going to suffer the punishment for your sins."

Christ told many parables, healed many people, forgave people of their sin, but never, ever suggested that He was only able to do so because He would suffer the punishment of their sins, right?

If you disagree, please cite for me some example where Christ in any way qualified His forgiveness upon something He would yet do.

Quote:
Now, Tom, under your view, if there is repentance on the sinner’s part and God is willing to forgive (and He is), what is the need for Christ’s intercession?

Jesus said:

Quote:
25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; 27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God. (John 16:25-27)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100198
06/25/08 08:01 PM
06/25/08 08:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The phrase "capricious power" is referring to the entity exercising the power, not the power itself.

Of course I know that, Tom. But what I’m saying is that no one would use the expression “arbitrary power” referring to individual discretion. “Arbitrary power” and “capricious power” are synonyms, but “arbitrary power” and “individual discretion” aren’t. If Ellen White wished to refer to individual discretion, she would have said, “This is not an act of individual discretion on the part of God,” and not “This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God.”

Quote:
R: “Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness. It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this. He would lead us to abhor our own hardness of heart and to open our hearts to let Jesus abide in them. And thus, out of evil, good is brought, and what appeared a curse becomes a blessing.”
T: This is not speaking to the fact that bad results come of evil, or that good results come from doing good, but that God causes us to abhor our own hardness of heart.

The whole context of the passage is very clear, and it’s evident that God’s love decreed that bad results come from doing evil and good results come from doing good. The idea you are proposing makes no sense at all to me, so we'll have to disagree.

Quote:
After Lucifer's resentment against God and Christ, God counseled with Lucifer and explained to him the truth regarding His Son. The Lucifer had received the knowledge of the truth.

Tom, as I said, a willful sin happens when you understand the light and reject it. So, when Lucifer was finally convinced that he was in the wrong and that the divines statutes were just, and he even so refused to submit to God’s authority, this was a willful sin.
I’ve provided passages both from the Bible and from Ellen White to back up my position, and I think there’s little else I could say about this.

Quote:
R: Yes, the story of His crucifixion! Christ could show compassion to people and forgive their sins exactly because He was going to suffer, in their stead, the punishment for those sins.
T: Please tell me where Jesus said this. Where did Jesus say, "I can be compassionate to people, and forgive your sins, only because I will suffer the punishment for them." Where?

Well, I think we would return to Matt. 20:28, which we have been discussing from the beginning of this thread. It was only the price paid by the redeemer which allowed the debt of the slave to be canceled.

A full, complete ransom has been paid by Jesus, by virtue of which the sinner is pardoned, and the justice of the law is maintained.” {AG 177.2}

“We were all debtors to divine justice, but we had nothing with which to pay the debt. Then the Son of God, who pitied us, paid the price of our redemption.” {CC 267.5}

“There was no power in the law to pardon its transgressor. Jesus alone could pay the sinner's debt.” {1SM 229.2}

“He paid the debt of man's transgression upon the cross of Calvary with his own precious blood.” {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 7}

"Justice demanded not merely that sin be pardoned; the death penalty must be met. The Saviour has met this demand. His broken body, his gushing blood, satisfied the claims of the law." {YI, April 16, 1903 par. 6}

Tom, I asked you to reply to just one point, which was exactly the one you didn’t reply to. John 16:25-27 only says that God is willing to forgive, which I had already pointed out. For your convenience, I’ll post again the points I want you to address:

Quote:
Now, Tom, under your view, if there is repentance on the sinner’s part and God is willing to forgive (and He is), what is the need for Christ’s intercession?

“Jesus is the only hope of the soul. ... The moment the sinner lays hold of Christ by faith, his sins are no longer upon him. Christ stands in the sinner's place, and declares, ‘I have borne his guilt, I have been punished for his transgressions, I have taken his sins, and put My righteousness upon him.’” {PrT, January 30, 1890 par. 6}

What does the bolded part mean to you?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Rosangela] #100203
06/25/08 09:50 PM
06/25/08 09:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The phrase "capricious power" is referring to the entity exercising the power, not the power itself.

Of course I know that, Tom. But what I’m saying is that no one would use the expression “arbitrary power” referring to individual discretion. “Arbitrary power” and “capricious power” are synonyms, but “arbitrary power” and “individual discretion” aren’t.

"Arbitrary power" and "discretionary power" can be synonymous, just as "arbitrary power" and "capricious power" can be. The context determines the meaning.

Quote:
If Ellen White wished to refer to individual discretion, she would have said, “This is not an act of individual discretion on the part of God,” and not “This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God.”

I can say just as validly, "If Ellen White had wished to say 'capricious power,' she would have said, "This is not an act of capricious power," and not "This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God."

The context makes clear her meaning. If she were using "arbitrary" in the sense of "capricious," the context would bear that out. She would make arguments like "God will not undertake this action without due consideration. He will weigh all the appropriate factors" etc. But that's not the point she's making here. She's making the point that the destruction of the wicked is due to the actions the wicked have taken, as opposed to actions that God is undertaking. I don't see how this point can be missed. She repeated this thought in every sentence she wrote in these two paragraphs.

Quote:
The whole context of the passage is very clear, and it’s evident that God’s love decreed that bad results come from doing evil and good results come from doing good. The idea you are proposing makes no sense at all to me, so we'll have to disagree.

Here's what she wrote:

Quote:
Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness. It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this. He would lead us to abhor our own hardness of heart and to open our hearts to let Jesus abide in them. And thus, out of evil, good is brought, and what appeared a curse becomes a blessing.

I'm not seeing your thought here. Also, I don't see the sense in your thought. First of all, love doesn't decree anything, so this is obviously a metaphor. She's saying that God took certain actions out of love. What actions does God take? "Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness." He does this.

It makes no sense to say that God has decreed that bad results come from doing evil. That's like saying God has decreed that 2+2 shall equal 4, or that circles shall be round.

Bad results come from doing evil because of the nature of evil, just as 2 + 2 = 4 because of the nature of integers (or sets, if you prefer), or circles are round because of their nature. You can't have evil without bad results. Why? Because evil is based on selfishness, which is contrary to love. God is, by His nature, love. It is from love that all good things come. To choose instead the principle of self as opposed to the principle of love is to choose pain, misery and death.

There is no more need for God to decree this to be the case than for Him to decree that 2 + 2 = 4. God is *telling* us this is the case, not making it be the case. God has given us free will, and warns us of the consequences of using it contrary to the principles of love.

Quote:
Tom, as I said, a willful sin happens when you understand the light and reject it. So, when Lucifer was finally convinced that he was in the wrong and that the divines statutes were just, and he even so refused to submit to God’s authority, this was a willful sin.

I’ve provided passages both from the Bible and from Ellen White to back up my position, and I think there’s little else I could say about this.

The passages are dealing with Lucifer's rebellion. But that is not, by a long shot, the only willful sin that Lucifer committed. The process downward was a long one, with many willful sins along the way, including envy, hatred, resentment, subterfuge, desire for power, lying, all sorts of things. I've provided the passages which spell these things out, so clearly that, as I've been asserting, you could give these passages to any non SDA and ask them if Lucifer was being described as willfully sinning, and the answer would be "yes."

Just the fact that EGW wrote the following should be enough to infer Lucifer had been willfully sinning:

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission. (GC 495)

This is long past the envy, hatred, and resentment which prompted Lucifer to start down this path. God offered Lucifer pardon again and again. For what? For willful sin, of course. What else could it have been for?

Let's consider one specific item. Lucifer was resentful because Christ was included with a meeting with God, and he wasn't. So it was explained to Lucifer why this happened, that Christ was His creator, the Son of God, not just another angel, like he was. This should have ended things right there, *long* before the passage I quoted above.

Now Lucifer understood what was being said. He understood the truth, that Christ was the Son of God, and His creator, and that he had no right to feel resentment. But he didn't let go of his resentment. Why not? Because he "allowed envy and hatred to prevail."

This is willful sin. This is just one example of one willful sin. There were many others, all down the path, and God offered, again and again, to pardon Lucifer.

Just because there was some thing which Lucifer was not convinced he was in error regarding does not mean that there were no willful sins he had committed that he was unaware of. Nothing EGW writes suggests this. Indeed, she flat out says that Lucifer was offered pardon again and again, which indicates that Lucifer had willfully sinned. God was willing to forgive him, if he would accept the conditions of repentance and submission.

In order for repentance to be possible, two things are necessary. One is a conviction that one has done wrong, and the other a willingness to accept and acknowledge that. God could not have offered Lucifer pardon for sins that it was not possible for Lucifer to repent of, which means that the sins for which God was offering him pardon had to be things Lucifer knew he had done that were wrong.

Quote:
R: Yes, the story of His crucifixion! Christ could show compassion to people and forgive their sins exactly because He was going to suffer, in their stead, the punishment for those sins.
T: Please tell me where Jesus said this. Where did Jesus say, "I can be compassionate to people, and forgive your sins, only because I will suffer the punishment for them." Where?

R:Well, I think we would return to Matt. 20:28, which we have been discussing from the beginning of this thread. It was only the price paid by the redeemer which allowed the debt of the slave to be canceled.

I asked where Jesus said "I can be compassionate to people, and forgive your sins, only because I will suffer the punishment for them." Let's look at what He actually said:

Quote:
42But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

43But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

44And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.

45For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. (Mark 10)

Jesus is saying here that if one wishes to be great, one should minister to others. He gives Himself as an example of being a servant in giving His life. He's not saying anything whatsoever about not being able to forgive or be compassionate unless He was punished first. Look at the preceding verses to get the context.

Quote:
Tom, I asked you to reply to just one point, which was exactly the one you didn’t reply to. John 16:25-27 only says that God is willing to forgive, which I had already pointed out.

I didn't see the question about the bold part; not responding to this was an oversight. I was responding to the question regarding Jesus' intercession.

I don't understand how you understand John 16:25-27 as only saying that God is willing to forgive. Jesus said, "I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; for the Father Himself loves you." How do you get from this that Jesus meant "The Father is willing to forgive you"?

I understand the bold part in the quote you provided to mean the same as this:

Quote:
Christ was treated as we deserve, that we might be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. "With His stripes we are healed." (DA 25)

I don't know if this answers your question or not, as you might ask what I think this means, but you might see it as an adequate answer, so I'll await your response. If you'd like me to elaborate me, I'd be happy to.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100204
06/25/08 10:05 PM
06/25/08 10:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, like Colin, I am no longer able to continue this dialog with you. I have clearly presented my case. You have clearly presented your case. Here's how we stand:

MM: By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors. Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.

TE: Jesus did not have to die in order for God to have the legal right to pardon and save us. He possesses that right by virtue of the fact He is God. By His life and death Jesus revealed the self-sacrificing love of God. This revelation serves to save us from sin and sinning. If we do not frustrate the grace of God He will save us.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Mountain Man] #100211
06/25/08 11:37 PM
06/25/08 11:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Maybe you can dialog with Scott. Hopefully he'll be joining the thread shortly.

Btw, how did you put together your summary of what I was saying? It's very good.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100216
06/26/08 01:14 AM
06/26/08 01:14 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
I can say just as validly, "If Ellen White had wished to say 'capricious power,' she would have said, "This is not an act of capricious power," and not "This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God."

“Arbitrary power” is a well-known and widely-used term, and it has a negative connotation. Besides, in all the instances where Ellen White uses it (14 x), it has a negative connotation, often in the sense of “despotic power.”

Quote:
Here's what she wrote:

You are not quoting the text in full. The whole passage revolves around the same fact – that what we do to others reacts upon ourselves. Besides, of course the phrase “It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this” can logically refer only to the preceding sentence, not to the succeeding sentence.

Quote:
You can't have evil without bad results. Why? Because evil is based on selfishness, which is contrary to love.

We are speaking of evil having bad results for the person who practices it. These bad results are basically a consequence of the way in which God created our minds to function, and of the laws of cause and effect He established.

Quote:
Tom, as I said, a willful sin happens when you understand the light and reject it. So, when Lucifer was finally convinced that he was in the wrong and that the divines statutes were just, and he even so refused to submit to God’s authority, this was a willful sin. I’ve provided passages both from the Bible and from Ellen White to back up my position, and I think there’s little else I could say about this.
T: The passages are dealing with Lucifer's rebellion. But that is not, by a long shot, the only willful sin that Lucifer committed.

I used just one passage related to Lucifer’s rebellion. All the other passages, both from the Bible and from the Ellen White, had nothing to do with Lucifer’s rebellion, and were used to define what willful sin is. Willful sin is the rejection of light after light has been received and understood. You seem to be disputing this definition, but provided no evidence to back up your opinion. You didn't quote a single passage using the word “willful.”

Quote:
R: Well, I think we would return to Matt. 20:28, which we have been discussing from the beginning of this thread. It was only the price paid by the redeemer which allowed the debt of the slave to be canceled.
T: I asked where Jesus said "I can be compassionate to people, and forgive your sins, only because I will suffer the punishment for them."

Did you really expect me to find a passage in the Bible with your exact words? The key word here is “ransom.” We’ve been discussing its meaning and, again, I provided a number of passages showing, not how I understand the concept, but how Ellen White understands the concept of the “ransom” or “debt” that Jesus paid. However, you did not comment about the passages.

Quote:
I understand the bold part in the quote you provided to mean the same as this [DA 25 quoted]

What I want to know is why Jesus pleads His blood for the forgiveness of our sins, and why His blood is meritorious. I don’t see how these concepts can make sense under your view.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100219
06/26/08 01:23 AM
06/26/08 01:23 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Maybe you can dialog with Scott. Hopefully he'll be joining the thread shortly.

Btw, how did you put together your summary of what I was saying? It's very good.

I'd love to jump in here, Tom, but I'm a little gun shy to jump into a conversation where Ellen seems to be the final authority and most of the discussion revolves around the exact meaning of her words.

Now if we want to use the bible and the bible only I have a lot to say!

scott

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: scott] #100226
06/26/08 04:28 AM
06/26/08 04:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
“Arbitrary power” is a well-known and widely-used term, and it has a negative connotation. Besides, in all the instances where Ellen White uses it (14 x), it has a negative connotation, often in the sense of “despotic power.”

If one just reads the two paragraphs in question, it is very easy to see that her point is that the destruction of the wicked is not due to something God does to them but due to their own choice. She makes this point again and again, 7 times in the space of 2 paragraphs. Even if you skip altogether the sentence in question, it is still clear this is the point she is making, because she keeps repeating it.

Quote:
You are not quoting the text in full. The whole passage revolves around the same fact – that what we do to others reacts upon ourselves. Besides, of course the phrase “It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this” can logically refer only to the preceding sentence, not to the succeeding sentence.

This is what I wrote:

Quote:
"Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness." He does this.

What I quoted is precisely the preceding sentence. The phrase "the love of God toward us has decreed this" is simply saying that God, because of His love for us, brings us over the ground mentioned. She is not arguing that God's love has decreed that good things come from good or that bad things come from evil.

Quote:
We are speaking of evil having bad results for the person who practices it. These bad results are basically a consequence of the way in which God created our minds to function, and of the laws of cause and effect He established.

Ok, let's try it this way. Imagine you are God. Explain to me how a sentient being can be created who can love and be loved and not experience bad things when he does evil.

Quote:
I used just one passage related to Lucifer’s rebellion. All the other passages, both from the Bible and from the Ellen White, had nothing to do with Lucifer’s rebellion, and were used to define what willful sin is. Willful sin is the rejection of light after light has been received and understood. You seem to be disputing this definition, but provided no evidence to back up your opinion. You didn't quote a single passage using the word “willful.”

I don't understand the point here. I referred to this:

Quote:
The Son of God presented before him the greatness, the goodness, and the justice of the Creator, and the sacred, unchanging nature of His law. God Himself had established the order of heaven; and in departing from it, Lucifer would dishonor his Maker and bring ruin upon himself. But the warning, given in infinite love and mercy, only aroused a spirit of resistance. Lucifer allowed his jealousy of Christ to prevail, and became the more determined. (PP 36)

"Determined" is willful. Allowing jealousy (let alone having jealousy in the first place) to prevail is sin. Instead of simply looking for certain specific words, if one considers the meaning of what is being said, it is easy to see that Lucifer was sinning, and using his will to do so.

Here's another example:

Quote:
Lucifer was envious and jealous of Jesus Christ. Yet when all the angels bowed to Jesus to acknowledge His supremacy and high authority and rightful rule, he bowed with them; but his heart was filled with envy and hatred....He had been highly exalted, but this did not call forth from him gratitude and praise to his Creator. He aspired to the height of God Himself. He gloried in his loftiness....He left the immediate presence of the Father, dissatisfied and filled with envy against Jesus Christ. Concealing his real purposes, he assembled the angelic host. He introduced his subject, which was himself.(SR 14)

I'm just incredulous that one can read these things and not recognize them as describing willful sin. Let's consider a few points:

1.Lucifer was envious and jealous of Jesus Christ.
2.His heart was filled with envy and hatred.
3.He aspired to the height of God Himself.
4.He gloried in his loftiness.
5.Concealing his real purposes, he assembled the angelic host.
6.He introduced his subject, which was himself.

Look at the verbs used "aspired," "gloried," "concealing," "assembled," "introduced." This are all verbs which describe willful purpose. Being envious, hating Christ, wanting to be equal with God, glorying in one's loftiness, etc. are all examples of sin.

Regarding receiving light and understanding it, I carefully chose an example which illustrates this very point. Lucifer was jealous because He was not included with Christ to counsel with God. God explained to Lucifer why this was so, which was because He was not the Son of God, not the creator.

Lucifer understood this, as Lucifer was very intelligent, and there is nothing difficult to understand about this. But rather than let go of his jealousy, which was easily seen to be unfounded, he chose to remain resentful, and allowed hatred and envy to fill his heart. He had received light, but he rejected it. This willfully sinned, using your definition.

Quote:
Did you really expect me to find a passage in the Bible with your exact words?

Again, the words are not important, but the ideas. Jesus never spoke of the idea that in order to forgive someone He had to be punished. He never spoke of the idea that God, in order to legally pardon, had to punish someone. Forget the words; look for the idea. Where can such an idea be found in Christ's life and teachings? In addition to never teaching these things, He never acted this way, and He was the perfect representation of His Father.

Quote:
The key word here is “ransom.” We’ve been discussing its meaning and, again, I provided a number of passages showing, not how I understand the concept, but how Ellen White understands the concept of the “ransom” or “debt” that Jesus paid. However, you did not comment about the passages.

I didn't comment on the passages, because I asked you where Jesus taught the things you are suggesting. If I had asked you where Ellen White taught these things, it would have been appropriate to quote her, and I would have responded. But that's not what I asked.

It's a bit amusing in a way. I asked Colin the same question, and he quoted Paul. I ask you, and you quote Ellen White. But nobody quotes Jesus.

Going on to Jesus and His use of the word "ransom," you just now said that one should not look for certain specific words. I wholeheartedly agree. Let's look for meaning. What did Jesus say? Was He speaking of conditions necessary in order to receive pardon? No. He said, if you wish to be great, you will serve. Why did He say this? Because His disciples were seeing who could be the greatest. So He gave Himself as an example and said, "The Son of Man came not to serve, but to be served, and give His life a ransom for many."

If the disciples had not been striving to be the greatest, Christ would have had no occasion to speak the words He did. You're trying to be a whole theory based on a single word. You're not taking into account the context of the situation in which Jesus is speaking.

Quote:
What I want to know is why Jesus pleads His blood for the forgiveness of our sins, and why His blood is meritorious. I don’t see how these concepts can make sense under your view.

Ok, but what you cited was this:

Quote:
“Jesus is the only hope of the soul. ... The moment the sinner lays hold of Christ by faith, his sins are no longer upon him. Christ stands in the sinner's place, and declares, ‘I have borne his guilt, I have been punished for his transgressions, I have taken his sins, and put My righteousness upon him.’” {PrT, January 30, 1890 par. 6}

I responded I see this as meaning the same thing as the DA passage I cited. Does that answer the question you asked? (which is what I think the passage you cited means).

It seems to me you are now asking a new question, since the passage you cited does not speak directly to the things you are now asking about.

In regards to what you are now asking, I'm not understanding what it is you think happens. Do you think Jesus literally pleads His blood to God so that God will forgive us? If so, why would this be? It seems to indicate that God needs to be reminded of what Christ did, or that God is unwilling to forgive us, so Christ has to convince Him.

If it is not literal, then what does it mean?

Since you asked me first, I'll give a brief answer, which I can elaborate on. God forgives us not on the basis of our goodness, but on the basis of His grace, which comes to us through Christ.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100227
06/26/08 04:31 AM
06/26/08 04:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Scott, please go ahead and speak. The participants have been primarily Colin, myself, MM, Rosangela. Colin is pretty much all Scripture in his participation, so I'm sure he'd especially welcome any Scripturally based presentation. Rosangela has also had protracted conversations just using Scripture on a number of threads.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - The Meaning of His DEATH [Re: Tom] #100245
06/26/08 01:25 PM
06/26/08 01:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
R: You are not quoting the text in full. The whole passage revolves around the same fact – that what we do to others reacts upon ourselves. Besides, of course the phrase “It is the love of God toward us that has decreed this” can logically refer only to the preceding sentence, not to the succeeding sentence.
T: This is what I wrote:
"Everyone who has been free to condemn or discourage, will in his own experience be brought over the ground where he has caused others to pass; he will feel what they have suffered because of his want of sympathy and tenderness." He does this.
What I quoted is precisely the preceding sentence. The phrase "the love of God toward us has decreed this" is simply saying that God, because of His love for us, brings us over the ground mentioned. She is not arguing that God's love has decreed that good things come from good or that bad things come from evil.

OK. God, because of His love for us, brings us over the ground mentioned. Which is what?
Also experiencing condemnation and discouragement – IOW, “Whatever we give, we shall receive again. ... And evil imparted also returns again” (her words at the beginning of the quote).

Quote:
Ok, let's try it this way. Imagine you are God. Explain to me how a sentient being can be created who can love and be loved and not experience bad things when he does evil.

Tom, when God created us, He deliberately put within our soul certain characteristics. For instance, He could have created us with the capacity to love other human beings and be loved by them, but having no need to love Him (a Superior Being) and be loved by Him. But He didn’t do so. He put a need for Him within us.
In the same way, He could have created us in such a way that our feelings would be under the command of our will, so that we could command our hearts to not suffer. But He didn’t do that.
So, God chose the way in which both our bodies and our minds should work.

Quote:
Regarding receiving light and understanding it, I carefully chose an example which illustrates this very point. Lucifer was jealous because He was not included with Christ to counsel with God. God explained to Lucifer why this was so, which was because He was not the Son of God, not the creator.
Lucifer understood this, as Lucifer was very intelligent, and there is nothing difficult to understand about this. But rather than let go of his jealousy, which was easily seen to be unfounded, he chose to remain resentful, and allowed hatred and envy to fill his heart. He had received light, but he rejected it. This willfully sinned, using your definition.

At this point Lucifer still thought he was right and God was wrong. He hadn’t been convinced he was in error. It’s true he was resisting light, but he hadn’t yet had a full understanding of that light. God is a God of mercy and no one will be held accountable for a light he hasn’t apprehended. He had to make an intelligent decision as to whether he would submit to God or not, and he was still undecided, for “he had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God” (PP 39).

When did his sin happen?

“Evil originated with the rebellion of Lucifer. It was brought into heaven when he refused allegiance to God's law. Satan was the first lawbreaker.” {RH, June 4, 1901 par. 3}

Quote:
R: The key word here is “ransom.” We’ve been discussing its meaning and, again, I provided a number of passages showing, not how I understand the concept, but how Ellen White understands the concept of the “ransom” or “debt” that Jesus paid. However, you did not comment about the passages.
T: I didn't comment on the passages, because I asked you where Jesus taught the things you are suggesting. If I had asked you where Ellen White taught these things, it would have been appropriate to quote her, and I would have responded. But that's not what I asked.
It's a bit amusing in a way. I asked Colin the same question, and he quoted Paul. I ask you, and you quote Ellen White. But nobody quotes Jesus.

As if Paul and Ellen White taught something different from Jesus! It’s this that is amusing. If they taught, then they weren’t inspired by Jesus.

Quote:
Going on to Jesus and His use of the word "ransom," you just now said that one should not look for certain specific words. I wholeheartedly agree. Let's look for meaning. What did Jesus say? Was He speaking of conditions necessary in order to receive pardon? No. He said, if you wish to be great, you will serve. Why did He say this? Because His disciples were seeing who could be the greatest. So He gave Himself as an example and said,
If the disciples had not been striving to be the greatest, Christ would have had no occasion to speak the words He did. You're trying to be a whole theory based on a single word. You're not taking into account the context of the situation in which Jesus is speaking.

Let’s slightly change what Jesus said. "The Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and give His life to save the world." Was Jesus speaking about salvation? No. He was speaking about His attitude of service. Does this mean He did not come to save the world, and that if I say that He did I’m disregarding the context? How valid is this argument?

How was He serving? By giving His life as a ransom. What is a ransom? It’s the price paid to cancel the debt of a slave and free him. Why did Jesus use this unusual word? Because He wanted to convey the idea that we had a debt we couldn’t pay and He came here to pay this debt with His own life. The way you understand what this debt was and how He paid it with His life is what we are discussing. In support of my/Colin’s/MM’s interpretation we are quoting the words of Paul and of Ellen White. Who are you quoting in support of yours?

Quote:
It seems to me you are now asking a new question, since the passage you cited does not speak directly to the things you are now asking about.

Yes, it does. I asked why Jesus pleads His blood for the forgiveness of sin, and the passage I quoted said,

This, to me, is the same thing.

Quote:
If it [Christ's pleading of His blood for the forgiveness of our sin] is not literal, then what does it mean?
Since you asked me first, I'll give a brief answer, which I can elaborate on. God forgives us not on the basis of our goodness, but on the basis of His grace, which comes to us through Christ.

Why does Christ speak to His Father about His death? Did God grant His grace because Christ died? This does not make sense under your view. What then do you mean?

Reply Quote
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!