HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,665
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl), 2,597 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #100417
07/02/08 01:50 AM
07/02/08 01:50 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: For example, God will not withdraw His protection and give evil angels permission to use human soldiers to kill sinners.

TE: I think you're missing the forest through the trees here. The point of similarity EGW is bringing out is that as the Jews forged there own fetters, and reaped what they had sown, so it will be with the wicked when they meet their end.

Right. But it doesn't speak to the questions I've been trying to explore with you. I agree God doesn't destroy sinners simply because He feels like it. They get what they deserve. The question is - What will they get? You seem to be saying what they will get is God withdrawing His protection and allowing ???? to punish them in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. The ???? indicates what I'm not sure you believe.

Quote:
"In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them."

TE: This says that the glory of God (not literal fire) destroys the wicked.

No, it says the Spirit or glory of God destroys sin. The death of sinners is collateral damage. Also, please note that glory and Spirit are used interchangeably. In other words, it is not referring to His character.

Quote:
"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked."

TE: This is a little later down the page. It says that the same thing that gives life to the righteous slays the wicked. What gives life to the righteous? The "light of the glory of God." What is that? Well, the glory of God is His character:

No, Light is Light; heavenly, divine light (as opposed to other forms of light). It is not the character of God or even the glory of God. This "Light" is the byproduct of the glory of God. Moses was exposed to the Light of the glory of God and his skin glowed so intensely that sinners, dwelling in sinful flesh, were unable to look on it without it physically hurting them. Unfallen beings, however, dwelling in sinless flesh, are able to look upon it without suffering physical harm. In fact, it is one of the things that give them life, in addition to eating the fruit of the tree of life.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #100418
07/02/08 02:22 AM
07/02/08 02:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I've explained this in great detail in previous posts. I suppose I should have saved a copy so I can copy and past it. But I'm sorry, I didn't.

The short version is that I believe that the same thing that gives life to the righteous is what will slay the wicked, which is the light of the glory of God. This is Jesus Christ, who is the revelation of God. The revelation of God is something the wicked cannot bear because they have so ruined their own character that the mere presence of God is to them a consuming fire.

The reason the wicked suffer in proportion to their sinfulness and the light that they had is not because God does something arbitrary to make this so, but because the revelation of God causes suffering in proportion to one's sinfulness and the light which one has had. It's like a candle that is bigger than another candle will burn longer because it is bigger.

Quote:
"In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them."

TE: This says that the glory of God (not literal fire) destroys the wicked.

No, it says the Spirit or glory of God destroys sin.

It says, "the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them," which is to say, the glory of God destroys them (as opposed to literal fire). This quote doesn't have the word "Spirit" in it.

That the glory of God is His character is clear in two ways. One, by this:

Quote:
The glory of God is His character. While Moses was in the mount, earnestly interceding with God, he prayed, "I beseech thee, show me thy glory." In answer God declared, "I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy." The glory of God--His character--was then revealed: "The Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty" (Exodus 33:18, 19; 34:6, 7). (God's Amazing Grace 322)

A second is by looking at the context:

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them. Jacob, after his night of wrestling with the Angel, exclaimed, "I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." Gen. 32: 30.

Jacob had been guilty of a great sin in his conduct toward Esau; but he had repented. His transgression had been forgiven, and his sin purged; therefore he could endure the revelation of God's presence. But wherever men came before God while willfully cherishing evil, they were destroyed. At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked.

In the time of John the Baptist, Christ was about to appear as the revealer of the character of God. His very presence would make manifest to men their sin. Only as they were willing to be purged from sin could they enter into fellowship with Him. Only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. (DA 107, 108)

It's clear from the context that she is using the word "glory" in the manner she defined it in the God's Amazing Grace quote. For example, note the underlined sentence. It's no coincidence that immediately after saying that the light of the glory of God will slay the wicked she talks about Christ as the revealer of the character of God. She is only talking about one thing here. The light of the glory of God is the revelation of God's character.

"Light" = "Revelation." "Glory" = "Character."

Also note that the same thing that gives life to the righteous will slay the wicked. Does literal fire give life to the righteous? No. Does the revelation of God's character give life to the righteous? Yes, He does.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #100446
07/02/08 05:50 PM
07/02/08 05:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
The short version is that I believe that the same thing that gives life to the righteous is what will slay the wicked, which is the light of the glory of God. This is Jesus Christ, who is the revelation of God. The revelation of God is something the wicked cannot bear because they have so ruined their own character that the mere presence of God is to them a consuming fire.

The reason the wicked suffer in proportion to their sinfulness and the light that they had is not because God does something arbitrary to make this so, but because the revelation of God causes suffering in proportion to one's sinfulness and the light which one has had. It's like a candle that is bigger than another candle will burn longer because it is bigger.

You seem to believe God's character is the source of eternal life. But the Bible and the SOP both testify it is the breath of God in our nostrils that gives us life and eating the fruit of the tree of life perpetuates it.

"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." Again, this light is only one of three things that give us life - breath, fruit, and light. This is referring to literal light, not the character of God. Yes, the character of God may be responsible for causing God radiate divine light. This light, like sunlight, can give or take life, depending on the substance it contacts.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #100451
07/02/08 06:17 PM
07/02/08 06:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You seem to believe God's character is the source of eternal life. But the Bible and the SOP both testify it is the breath of God in our nostrils that gives us life and eating the fruit of the tree of life perpetuates it.

I get this from Jesus. Eternal life is spiritual; it involves more than physical life, or duration of life. That Ellen White understood this is evident in her explanations of Jesus' words:

Quote:
(John 17:3 quoted)These words mean much. It is only by knowing Christ that we can know God....To know Christ savingly is to be vitalized by spiritual knowledge, to practice His words. Without this, all else is valueless (ST Jan. 27, 1898).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #100496
07/04/08 01:37 AM
07/04/08 01:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What did God do in Eden to make Adam alive? Didn't He breathe into his nostrils the breath of life? What did Adam have to do to perpetuate life? Didn't he have to regularly eat of the fruit of the tree of life? What did Adam have to do to have continual access to the tree of life? Didn't he have to live in harmony with God's loving law? These are the three things that contribute to eternal life. You seem to be saying the character of God is the sole source of eternal life, and the sole source of eternal death. It doesn't make sense to me.

"The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked." Again, this light is only one of three things that give us life - breath, fruit, and light. This is referring to literal light, not the character of God. Yes, the character of God may be responsible for causing God radiate divine light. This light, like sunlight, can give or take life, depending on the substance it contacts.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #100503
07/04/08 02:35 AM
07/04/08 02:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There is more to eternal life than simply keeping alive the flesh. Eternal life is more than breathing; it is knowing God. I don't know how to make this make sense to you.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #100558
07/04/08 07:33 PM
07/04/08 07:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
They're in heaven; they already know God. They already have eternal life abiding in them. How can you say it is the light of glory of God, which you believe can only be His character and nothing else, that gives them life? They were dead in the grave when they were given eternal life and resurrected. Are you saying God's character is what gave them eternal life in the grave before they were resurrected?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #100568
07/04/08 08:46 PM
07/04/08 08:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The light of the glory of God is Jesus Christ. Eternal life is to know God, and Jesus Christ, whom He has sent.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #100578
07/05/08 04:17 AM
07/05/08 04:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
And then there is the literal light which radiates from God's physical presence. You seem to be ignoring this light. Why?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #100658
07/06/08 10:50 PM
07/06/08 10:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Because it's not germane. The light of the glory of God gives life to the righteous. It is not the literal light which radiates from God's physical presence that gives life.

Page 44 of 47 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/05/24 02:15 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!