HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
now that I'm an Adventist #101213
07/31/08 12:08 AM
07/31/08 12:08 AM
N
newhopefull  Offline OP
New Member (Starting to Post)
United States
I'm starting my life over now tht i'm an Adventist. I cant say how glad i am about it, because i've had alot of struggles in my life and i'm glad that theres a way out.

I have a nice pastor i can talk to and that helps. He is a really busy guy, so I don't want to bother him with to many questions.

I have some questions that i would like answered by those who've been in the faith longer.

THe first one is that since I'm now a new adventist, a lot of the friends i've had for a long time don't understand a lot of what the beliefs are. I understand that it's important to keep the Sabbath day holy, and i do that as best as i can. So when my friends want me to go do something on Sabbath that i know i shouldn't do, i have no idea what to say to them to make them understand. Has anybody ever had the same problems?

Also in Sabbath school they were talking about movie theaters and Ellen White. Didn't she say we are to avoid them? i was just wondering what book and what page this was on.

I hope i don't sound totally stupid. \:\)

Thank you!

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: newhopefull] #101240
08/01/08 12:49 AM
08/01/08 12:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
I grew up in the church, so all my close friends knew what the "rules" were. But there came a time when I was convicted that something we often did was not right. What I decided to do was to tell them why I thought it was wrong, then follow the principle myself. For a while, I was walking by myself in this "new light" but everyone eventually saw it.

You can't make them understand. It's not your job. Your job is to sow the seeds, and manifest in your own life the fruits of your faith. If all goes well, they'll be asking you why you are the way you are.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: asygo] #101320
08/04/08 08:36 PM
08/04/08 08:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
THe first one is that since I'm now a new adventist, a lot of the friends i've had for a long time don't understand a lot of what the beliefs are. I understand that it's important to keep the Sabbath day holy, and i do that as best as i can. So when my friends want me to go do something on Sabbath that i know i shouldn't do, i have no idea what to say to them to make them understand. Has anybody ever had the same problems?

Yes, I had problems like this. Still do, in a way, as none of my family are SDA's. I don't think there's anything I can do to "make them understand," but they try to be accommodating, and I do too.

Quote:
Also in Sabbath school they were talking about movie theaters and Ellen White. Didn't she say we are to avoid them? i was just wondering what book and what page this was on.

Ellen White died in 1915. I did a search on the word "movie" in her writings, and nothing came up, which isn't too surprising, I don't think.

I think in regards to movies, and entertainment activities in general, that you should follow your conscience and pray for guidance. John said:

Quote:
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.(1 John 2:27)

Quote:
27But Christ has blessed you with the Holy Spirit. [g] Now the Spirit stays in you, and you don't need any teachers. The Spirit is truthful and teaches you everything. So stay one in your heart with Christ, just as the Spirit has taught you to do.

I quoted this in two versions, the King James Version and a more recent one. The idea is simply that God loves us, and will guide us, if we wish to do His will.

Jesus said if we ask God for bread, He won't give us a stone. He will gladly give us the Holy Spirit to guide us if we so desire.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101326
08/04/08 11:46 PM
08/04/08 11:46 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Look up "theatrical amusements" in the EGW database. Or if you prefer books, there's a statement in Adventist Home p. 516.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: newhopefull] #101329
08/05/08 02:36 AM
08/05/08 02:36 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: newhopefull
I'm starting my life over now tht i'm an Adventist. I cant say how glad i am about it, because i've had alot of struggles in my life and i'm glad that theres a way out.

I have a nice pastor i can talk to and that helps. He is a really busy guy, so I don't want to bother him with to many questions.

I have some questions that i would like answered by those who've been in the faith longer.

I hope i don't sound totally stupid. \:\)

Thank you!

Hi new,

Thank God for bringing you into our fellowship. I remember when I was converted at the ripe old age of 19. I really needed structure in my life because before my conversion my life was so out of control. I found the needed structure in the church and concentrated on the how to(s) of Sabbath keeping, health reform, entertainment reform, and general lifestyle changes that seemed to be the norm among Adventists. I needed the structure and I thank God for those years, but it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking religion is all about how to be a good SDA.

My advice is to drown yourself in reading about the life of Christ and to stay busy doing ministry every chance you get. My first Adventist book was The Great Controversy, and then I read the whole conflict series over the next two years. Meanwhile I polished off reading the bible through and for the last 30+ I’ve read bookshelves full of books. My favorite SOP books are Steps to Christ, Desire of Ages, Christ Object Lessons, and Thoughts on Mount of Blessings. I’ve read these books multiple times and still learn something new every time.

The reason books have been so great for me is that I’m a part of a small church and it’s easy to get a narrow view of the gospel and the work of the church. In the book world I can choose my mentors and glean from the wisdom of many. In the past, through books, I’ve been mentored by Morris Venden, Ty Gibson, Clifford Goldstein, Roy Adams, Dwight Nelson, George Fifield, Jones, Waggoner, Doug Bachelor, George Knight, Ron Halverson Sr., Alden Thomson, Russell Burrill, Charles Spurgin, Chambers, and many many more!!! (I’m sure I spelled some of those names wrong. Sorry)

I especially love reading those labeled as heretics in the church such as Robert Brimsmead and Desmond Ford, and even Victor Hautef from the Shepherd’s Rod movement. Books are powerful and keep our minds active always thinking about spiritual things. I try to read as many non Adventist books as I do Adventist books.

They educate us in how people think and what issues some choose to make big deals of. There are good books and not so good books, but every book increases our understanding and don’t ever let anyone tell you not to read something. The most dangerous people in the world are control freaks who try to keep us from making our own choices.

Always remember that salvation is not a journey to God. Jesus already closed that gap and came to us, in our flesh, where we are. Salvation is a journey with God. So keep your mind keen on listening to Him by spending time in meditation (reading and thinking) and prayer. He is faithful to guide and even if you make a bad choice and go a wrong path God doesn’t forsake or abandon, but promises to dog our path and lead us home.

Trust Him.

scott

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: scott] #101333
08/05/08 03:02 PM
08/05/08 03:02 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes, Scott, and, yes, newhopefull, church structure is to help us structure our lives as God leads us to do so, as we lean on those around us he leads us to. Jesus is first, last and everywhere in between: we personalise his righteousness to ourselves as he leads us by his Spirit, whom he justifies us with. Scott, knowing we are justified by faith by Jesus' Spirit is the importance of theology to practical Godliness.

It's always intriguing to grasp how other viewpoints of the gospel are put together, but first of all we must each understand what the true Three Angels' Message is, to know why and what God raised up the Advent Movement for. That's what SOP books are so good for, from Conflict of the Ages series, to the Testimonies, to 'relevant' other publications, as or secondary importance to the Bible: she herself said we don't study Scripture enough, but what she says on salvation and the rest of life on earth is in there. That's a strong statement and it's tempered by group sharing of individual conscience of like minded believers. Other viewpoints within and outside the Adventist church may well not match up with the strength of faith expressed in SOP books.

Those heretical names you mentioned, Scott: Robert Brinsmead and Desmond Ford, may well be totally unknown to newhopefull. They are perhaps today's foremost opponents of Ellen White, and neither is an Adventist anymore, though both were pastors originally. They support Reformation Theology (RT), which isn't Adventist, but I'll let others here differentiate them better perhaps than I can: a main difference is RT has receiving the Spirit, regeneration, rebirth as part of sanctification (walking with God) rather than justification (starting to believe), which is considered purely legal and impersonal. Brinsmead began as Ford's opponent when Ford's viewpoint was gaining the ascendency in the church and Brinsmead was inspired by a traditionalist viewpoint showing the original church's position, but Brinsmead overdid the better teaching (I don't think he checked with his brethern enough, if at all: just took his own reading of SOP).

As for the mainstream authors, they also have Reformation Theology among them, I think. For certain George Knight, Clifford Goldstein and Roy Adams go together (I haven't checked them all), while Dwight Nelson, Jones and Waggoner go together as might Doug Bachelor. Names to add are Heppenstall to the first list and Herbert Douglass to the second list. Charles Spurgeon was Anglican, but makes some good points and makes them well. It is vital to know the central, correct Adventist Bible teaching, and helpful to know what others think if you have time or need for that - like spotting it if you hear it in a sermon. I personally spot the differences and discuss them afterwards, to clarify and likely agree to disagree, but ever ready to study together further which doesn't happen much, though.

I seek out the support networks in the church for the traditional Three Angels' Message truths as preached by Jones and Waggoner from 1888 to 1896 and endorsed by Ellen White. It is debated today, regarded as nothing new compared to Evangelical theology, which we officially hold to. It is debated on here too. I keep in touch with those who agree that there is something new for Protestantism in the 1888 message. There is eg. http://www.1888msc.org of what was compiled by the 1888 Message Study Committee of the historic literature as well as modern comments, and the similar themed website http://www.gospel-herald.com

The very latest thing is self-explanatory but takes a lot of reading or maybe less listening: qod.andrews.edu (no "www"), which 'officially' re-examines that book, Questions on Doctrine, online at the rather liberal site http://www.sdanet.org/atissue/books/qod/index.htm, 50 years since it was published. Controversial, and EVERY VIP who was interested was there to say something. Each VIP has individual descriptions...! DO have a look, again and again!::-)

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: scott] #101334
08/05/08 03:08 PM
08/05/08 03:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree Scott. Reading a wide variety of books is a great way to grow.

I recall E. J. Waggoner's making the offhand comment to Butler in his pamphlet "The Gospel in Galatians" that he had read every book written by a Seventh-day Adventist. This was in 1888. One might think that Adventists had not written a lot of books, but that's not true. Just Ellen White by herself had written a lot, and there's J. N. Andrews, James White, Uriah Smith, and many others who were prodigious authors.

The reason the comment struck me was it brings out how studious are spiritual forefathers were. Waggoner was only 32 or 33 when he wrote this. He wasn't unique. They were by and large very well read.

We would do well to follow their example! As you point out, it keeps are minds working.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101350
08/06/08 01:18 AM
08/06/08 01:18 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hi Colin,

Have you ever read even one of Desmond Ford's books? His book called "Daniel" is excellent and was published before Glacier View. I saw Him speak at camp meeting in Nebraska around 1976 or 77. One of the best camp meetings I've ever been too. Do I agree with Him in all points? Absolutely not, but I understand every point I disagree. That is what is important to me.

Also have you ever read "Questions on Doctrines?"

scott

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: scott] #101352
08/06/08 05:21 AM
08/06/08 05:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It's always intriguing to grasp how other viewpoints of the gospel are put together, but first of all we must each understand what the true Three Angels' Message is, to know why and what God raised up the Advent Movement for.

This speaks to why God raised the Advent Movement:

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101355
08/06/08 06:53 AM
08/06/08 06:53 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
It's always intriguing to grasp how other viewpoints of the gospel are put together, but first of all we must each understand what the true Three Angels' Message is, to know why and what God raised up the Advent Movement for.

This speaks to why God raised the Advent Movement:

Quote:
It is the darkness of misapprehension of God that is enshrouding the world. Men are losing their knowledge of His character. It has been misunderstood and misinterpreted. At this time a message from God is to be proclaimed, a message illuminating in its influence and saving in its power. His character is to be made known. Into the darkness of the world is to be shed the light of His glory, the light of His goodness, mercy, and truth.

This is the work outlined by the prophet Isaiah in the words, "O Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength; lift it up, be not afraid; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him; behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." Isa. 40:9,10.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love. (COL 415)

Amen Tom!!!

So many claim to be teaching the 3 Angel's Message, but they don't even know that the everlasting gospel is exactly what you quoted. Jesus' message to the world was "Behold Your God" and He preached it in His life and ministry showing us that the Father is not what religion had made God out to be. Jesus taught the goodness of the Father and what Jesus taught is the everlasting Gospel, the good news of the Graciousness of God.

scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!