HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Colin] #101402
08/08/08 01:22 PM
08/08/08 01:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, the greatest revelation of God is in Christ, but his revelation to Abraham and David, to name just two, is indeed just as good.

It's not just as good. God in human flesh was better. As John said:

Quote:
18No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. (John 1:18)

or EGW

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.(ST 1/20/90)

We didn't know what God was really like before Christ came.

Quote:
The earth was dark through misapprehension of God. That the gloomy shadows might be lightened, that the world might be brought back to God, Satan's deceptive power was to be broken. This could not be done by force. The exercise of force is contrary to the principles of God's government; He desires only the service of love; and love cannot be commanded; it cannot be won by force or authority. Only by love is love awakened. To know God is to love Him; His character must be manifested in contrast to the character of Satan. This work only one Being in all the universe could do. Only He who knew the height and depth of the love of God could make it known. Upon the world's dark night the Sun of Righteousness must rise, "with healing in His wings." Mal. 4:2. (DA 22)

One of my favorite passages. Actually the whole first chapter is incredible.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101403
08/08/08 01:23 PM
08/08/08 01:23 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Question for Colin. Where does either Jones or Waggoner present the idea that it was necessary for Christ to die in order for God to be able to legal pardon us?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101404
08/08/08 05:12 PM
08/08/08 05:12 PM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
They didn't, Tom!

In fact they teach that Christ's sacrifice was not intended to change God's attitude towards us, but to change our attitude toward God. Christ reconciled us back to God, not God back to us. We were God’s enemies, but He was never our enemy.

God legally presented His case in Jesus and convinced the jury that He could be trusted with their eternal life. He earned the legal right to rule humanity by becoming a man and inheriting the earth through Adam's birthright. How's that for a little legal jargon?

scott

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101431
08/09/08 01:29 AM
08/09/08 01:29 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Originally Posted By: Colin
Yes, the greatest revelation of God was in Christ, but his revelation to Abraham and David, to name just two, is indeed just as good.

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
It's not just as good. God in human flesh was better. As John said:

Quote:
No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is truly God and is closest to the Father, has shown us what God is like. (John 1:18)

Er, Tom, I shan't really concede my point since you've rather missed the point, interpreting my comment according to your favourite theme...

Who wrote longest as well as the most memorised chapters in the Bible? - Ps 119 & 23.

Nuff said all round really.

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: scott] #101432
08/09/08 02:40 AM
08/09/08 02:40 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Originally Posted By: scott
In the historical view justification and sanctification had little differences. Justification is just the initiation of the process of sanctification.

I personally hold closer to Ford's view on justification than I do historic Adventist because in the historic view Christ did nothing corporate.

I can't believe I didn't spot this post yesterday!! It deserves direct comment, not just coincidental references.

I know Jones & Waggoner emphasised the "in Christ" concept of the objective gospel of efficacious grace, but they were just clarifying the doctrine of the Two Adams in the context of Christ's assumed, sinful humanity - a link not yet widely taught. Both truths were already held, though. Ford's objective gospel stance is different to either SDA positions above - as I recall..., aside from his "Christ's humanity"(!!)

Is that your only point close to Ford - and you view it as just agape being persuasively portrayed to draw all men, but not also all men being "in Christ" by his corporate/actual sinful humanity legally & graceously to die their death due them under the law, in his death?

On justification & sanctification between Reformation and historic Adventist theology, do you hold to the former, like you do on Christology and the objective Fordian gospel? I agree with the contrast on J&S you drew, and the Australian clash till the 70's (Ford of course omitting sanctification as a gospel requirement) was resolved with the GC in the consensus statement at Palmdale (California), in 1976, in favour of historic Adventism! - remember?:-)
 Quote:
We agree that "righteousness by faith" in Scripture is the experience of justification.

Back home it appeared that Ford never lived down that dispute defeat, but the GC is strangely shy today, it seems, for rightly asserting historic Adventism over Reformation theology in the crunch with its foremost proponent in our midst.

We have the Palmdale concensus in writing, but it appears officially almost fully abandoned by now - and very soon after, too, leaving mild but definite confusion by holding to Fordianism (OH, NO!) but yet not formery disowning the true Adventism of Palmdale...yes well: division, eh:-(

QOD divisions are far reaching!

What did you make of the 50th anniversary get together?

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101433
08/09/08 02:50 AM
08/09/08 02:50 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
Question for Colin. Where does either Jones or Waggoner present the idea that it was necessary for Christ to die in order for God to be able to legal pardon us?

Off the top of my head, the Two Covenants truth. Also, it is an implied term - ie. a necessity - of blood needing to be shed for the remission of sins.

If, nay since you can't see that since last time I mentioned it, there's very little left to discuss.

Incidentally, implied terms don't get mentioned normally, so that may be why you're missing a reference to it that will settle your curiosity...;-)

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Colin] #101436
08/09/08 04:08 AM
08/09/08 04:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
What do you mean by saying, "implied terms don't get mentioned normally?" It seems like you are stating that implied truths aren't normally explicitly stated. But this isn't really true, is it? Let's consider a few.

Here's one. "God is love." This in an implied truth throughout Sctipure, yet John explicitly states it.

Here's another one. God loves us. Similar to the first. It's implied all over the place in Scripture, but it's also explicitly stated.

Let's try one more. Sin will result in death. That's implied in many ways, but also explicitly stated.

To support your assertion that implied truth, or "terms," to use your word, what are some examples of that?

Regarding the two covenants, I'm well acquainted with Jone's and Waggoner's teaching on this. I don't recall reading anything that even implies, let alone actually teaches, that God could not legally pardon us unless Christ died for us. Here's a good summary of Waggoner's teaching on the covenants:

Quote:
That the covenant and promise of God are one and the same thing, is clearly seen from Gal.3:17, where it appears that to disannul the covenant would be to make void the promise. In Genesis 17 we read that God made a covenant with Abraham to give him the land of Canaan--and with it the whole world--for an everlasting possession; but Gal.3:18 says that God gave it to him by promise. God's covenants with men can be nothing else than promises to them: "Who hath first given to Him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things." Rom.11:35,36. It is so rare for men to do anything without expecting an equivalent, that theologians have taken it for granted that it is the same with God. So they begin their dissertations on God's covenant with the statement that a covenant is "a mutual agreement between two or more persons, to do or refrain from doing certain things." But God does not make bargains with men, because He knows that they could not fulfil their part. After the flood God made a covenant with every beast of the earth, and with every fowl; but the beasts and the birds did not promise anything in return. Gen.9:9-16. They simply received the favor at the hand of God. That is all we can do. God promises us everything that we need, and more than we can ask or think, as a gift. We give Him ourselves, that is, nothing, and He gives us Himself, that is, everything. That which makes all the trouble is that even when men are willing to recognize the Lord at all, they want to make bargains with Him. They want it to be a "mutual" affair--a transaction in which they will be considered as on a par with God. But whoever deals with God must deal with Him on His own terms, that is, on a basis of fact--that we have nothing and are nothing, and He has everything and is everything, and gives everything.(The Glad Tidings)

Is there something here which teaches that God could not legally pardon sin unless Christ died? Or is there some other quote you could produce which suggests this?

Here's something Waggoner wrote which supports my assertion that he did not hold this idea:

Quote:
A propitiation is a sacrifice. The statement then is simply that Christ is set forth to be a sacrifice for the remission of our sins. "Once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself." Heb. 9:26. Of course the idea of a propitiation or sacrifice is that there is wrath to be appeased. But take particular notice that it is we who require the sacrifice, and not God. He provides the sacrifice. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible.(Waggoner on Romans)

Regarding that blood was necessary in order for there to be remission of sins, the whole question is what this means. Everyone agrees that blood is necessary. The question is why. To assert that blood being necessary is an argument as to why blood is necessary is completely circular. To my knowledge, before Calvin gave voice to the idea, it had not been stated.

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101437
08/09/08 04:13 AM
08/09/08 04:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, the greatest revelation of God is in Christ, but his revelation to Abraham and David, to name just two, is indeed just as good.

Since I missed your point, what was it?

Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Tom] #101446
08/09/08 12:25 PM
08/09/08 12:25 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
"God did it all", as the favourite quote goes: righteousness is beyond us (without his help), and under the law we have to die, but God supplied the propitiatory substitute which the law recognised. You recognise the terminology of Romans here...?

That Glad Tidings quote, familiar as it is to both of us, states that God fulfils what we have to do (but we can't do and live, and can't live without doing), which the Bible says the law demands of us - the moral and the sacrificial laws (we are under condemnation, so we can't live without a substitute): our legal obligations for sin and righteousness: death and obedience, the former allowing forgiveness for rebirth, thus enabling righteousness by faith.

That means a legal requirement for forgiveness which God himself supplies, staying true to his own law, which is himself. Of course the law reflects his character, and his justice involves wrath against sin. The Waggoner of Romans quote confuses itself with that popular contradiction: Christ is our propitiation (Bible says so), but propitiation of wrath against sin isn't true here because God himself propitiates for us. That doesn't follow at all, for propitiation involves wrath against sin - that's the way it is. God doing it himself is streets ahead (putting it ultra mildly) of heathen expiation, where the worshipper supplies the appeasing sacrifice. (Biblical) propitiation is to the glory of God, not to the exclusion of divine wrath against sin. That God provides the propitiation by Jesus' blood is to his glory, and highlights the legal necessity of sacrifice for grace to bring forgiveness.

As for your last paragraph, you are unfair: you never make known that you agree blood is necessary - you only say showing agape was necessary, until we insist on it and then you turn round and say but of course while asking why. That's intellectually deceptive if not dishonest, I'm sorry: you cannot refrain from supporting it while arguing no legal requirements for pardon (a LEGAL ACTION) and then suddenly blightly say, when confronted by it, "but of course," only to challenge the reason for it when the reason is clear in Scripture: to meet the just demands of the law.

As for your last post, which is easier to understand, Ps 119 or the Book of Hebrews? The two are equally good but Jesus fulfilling prophecy is always more theologically detailed. You won't win your argument on the NT being better than the OT as regards telling the truth.

Last edited by Colin; 08/09/08 12:31 PM.
Re: now that I'm an Adventist [Re: Colin] #101447
08/09/08 01:09 PM
08/09/08 01:09 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Yes this forgiveness is the foundation of our Christian experience and the heart of the gospel, so this debate rages on and on while you don't recognise the legal basis and certainty of God's truth and his salvation.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!