HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, daylily, Kevin H, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,176 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 27 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 26 27
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102347
09/05/08 02:43 AM
09/05/08 02:43 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Is the future open, or fixed? That's the real question.

My answer is that the future is open, with many possibilities, but God knows exactly how each worm will crawl out.

If by "how each worm will crawl out" you mean what the result of any given choice would be is, I agree. I would change the "but" to "and."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102348
09/05/08 02:45 AM
09/05/08 02:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I think there's something else to consider: Does every moral decision have a cause, or are some of them arbitrary and random? If there's always a cause, does God have the resources to link all the causes with their effects?

The idea that every choice has a cause is one of the tenants of Calvinism. The idea is if we just knew more, say as much as God did, we would know exactly what each person will do.

But the will is truly free. Choices are not pre-determined.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102349
09/05/08 03:00 AM
09/05/08 03:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You articulate an interesting understanding of Genesis 3:15. When God said, "He shall bruise your head" to Satan, you believe God was saying, "Christ could succeed"? Are you saying that Jesus bruising Satan's head wasn't a certainty?

Obviously if Christ could fail it wasn't a certainty. The statements you quoted bring out that what was given was a "Gospel promise." Not a certainty, but a promise, which God gave because of the faith He had in His Son, a faith which proved by what happened.

But could Christ have failed? Absolutely.

Quote:
(I)nto the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. (DA 49)

Quote:
Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." Rev. 5:12. (DA 131)

Quote:
Look upon the Saviour uplifted on the cross. Hear that despairing cry, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Mark 15:34. Look upon the wounded head, the pierced side, the marred feet. Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled.(COL 196)

What do we see here? A risk was assumed. Heaven was imperiled.

Risk implies uncertainty. Webster's primary definition of risk:

Quote:
possibility of loss or injury

If the possibility of loss or failure is 0, then and only then is there certainty of success.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102351
09/05/08 06:32 AM
09/05/08 06:32 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
 Quote:
You articulate an interesting understanding of Genesis 3:15. When God said, "He shall bruise your head" to Satan, you believe God was saying, "Christ could succeed"? Are you saying that Jesus bruising Satan's head wasn't a certainty?

Obviously if Christ could fail it wasn't a certainty.

It is neither obvious nor true. Anyway, that's my belief.

But let's say that your premise is true. That means that when God promised, "He shall bruise your head," Adam couldn't be 100% sure that God was going to be able to pull it off. It seems that's what you believe. Am I right?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102352
09/05/08 06:34 AM
09/05/08 06:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
Is the future open, or fixed? That's the real question.

My answer is that the future is open, with many possibilities, but God knows exactly how each worm will crawl out.

If by "how each worm will crawl out" you mean what the result of any given choice would be is, I agree. I would change the "but" to "and."

What I mean is that God knows which option will be chosen among the infinite possibilities. Do you agree with that?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102353
09/05/08 06:43 AM
09/05/08 06:43 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:
I think there's something else to consider: Does every moral decision have a cause, or are some of them arbitrary and random? If there's always a cause, does God have the resources to link all the causes with their effects?

The idea that every choice has a cause is one of the tenants of Calvinism. The idea is if we just knew more, say as much as God did, we would know exactly what each person will do.

Whether or not it is Calvinism has no impact as far as I'm concerned.

Do I understand you correctly that you believe some moral decisions have no cause, and are just arbitrary and random? IOW, when Person A is given a choice between two options with moral impact, it is possible that God's knowledge of that person's character will not give Him enough insight to know which way he will choose?

But the will is truly free. Choices are not pre-determined.

Foreknowledge <> pre-determined.

If my son was given a choice between riding his scooter and putting a stick in his eye, I know which he will choose without pre-determining his choice or restricting his will. It's all about how well I know my son.

God knows His children.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: asygo] #102354
09/05/08 01:01 PM
09/05/08 01:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Whether or not it is Calvinism has no impact as far as I'm concerned.

Even though you are not concerned, it does have an impact.

Quote:
Do I understand you correctly that you believe some moral decisions have no cause, and are just arbitrary and random?

In "The Freedom of the Will" Jonathon n Edwards brilliantly argues for determinism, the idea that there is a cause behind every thought or decision made. Although brilliantly argued, I disagree with his thesis. In order for his thesis to be false, it is only necessary for some thought or decision by somebody to not be explained by a cause. Lucifer's decision to sin is one such decision. Therefore his theory is false.

I wouldn't use the words you chose, "arbitrary and random," because these words imply a lack of decision making. Actually "arbitrary" is OK, if one understands it as "individual discretion," but "random" gives a wrong idea. I think simply stating that this was a decision made for which no reason (or cause) can be given is sufficient.

Quote:
IOW, when Person A is given a choice between two options with moral impact, it is possible that God's knowledge of that person's character will not give Him enough insight to know which way he will choose?

Yes. Consider Lucifer. What would God's insight into his character have told him? Lucifer was perfect. God's insight into his character would have told him he would could continue to love and honor Him, just as he did when created and for no one knows how long after that.

Quote:
T:But the will is truly free. Choices are not pre-determined.

A:Foreknowledge <> pre-determined.

I meant pre-determined, not foreknown. Pre-determined means determined ahead of time. They are not determined until they are made.

Quote:
If my son was given a choice between riding his scooter and putting a stick in his eye, I know which he will choose without pre-determining his choice or restricting his will. It's all about how well I know my son.

God knows His children.

Of course I'm aware of this, which is why I've been being careful (as careful as I can be) with my phrasing. I didn't say that no cause can be given, but that not every cause can be given.

I've been married for over 16 years and no my wife very well, but she still surprises me when I ask her what she wants to do. I'll ask her questions like "Do you want to do (whatever)" thinking there's maybe a 1% or 5% she'll say "yes," and she'll jump right on it. Other times I think for sure she'd like to do something, and she has no interest.

On the other hand, there are other things where I know what she'll say. For example, I wrote:

Quote:
The idea is if we just knew more, say as much as God did, we would know exactly what each person will do.

I don't believe this is true. Even I knew my wife as well as God does, I believe she could still do things that would surprise me.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102355
09/05/08 01:46 PM
09/05/08 01:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Obviously if Christ could fail it wasn't a certainty.

A:It is neither obvious nor true. Anyway, that's my belief.

Sure it is. This is easy to show. If Christ could fail, then the probability He would succeed is some number less than 1. If it was certain that Christ would succeed, the probability He would succeed was exactly 1.

Quote:
But let's say that your premise is true. That means that when God promised, "He shall bruise your head," Adam couldn't be 100% sure that God was going to be able to pull it off. It seems that's what you believe. Am I right?

I believe Christ could have failed.

Quote:
What I mean is that God knows which option will be chosen among the infinite possibilities. Do you agree with that?

Let's take God out of the question for a moment, because I don't see the issue as being an epistemological one but an ontological one. I'll try to explain what I mean by analogy.

Let's consider the theory of quantum mechanics. Say it's true that the location of a sub-atomic partical can only be described probabilistically, that it cannot be known with certainty where that partical will be. The fact the location of the partical cannot be known is not a limitation on the intelligence of physicists. They discovered the reality of the situation. If it could be known where a partical would go, then that would mean their understanding of reality was wrong.

Let's consider the future now. I'm asserting that the future is open. If it could be known exactly what will happen to each "particle" (a particle here is representing a decision a being with free will makes, where the decision is one that could go in different ways) then my assertion regarding the future would be false. The future would not be open. It would be fixed. It would be apparently open to beings with limited knowledge, but a being with more knowledge would perceive the future in its true condition, as fixed.

Therefore if God sees the future as fixed (which is what His knowing where every "particle" is means -- I'm using "means" here as in a definition, that this is simply an alternate definition of "fixed future") then that's the way the future is -- it's fixed!

In other words, the following two things cannot both be true:

A.The future is open.
B.God perceives the future as fixed.

To answer your question, the answer is "no," because that would be knowing where every "particle" is, which would be asserting that the future is not open but fixed.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102411
09/07/08 07:15 PM
09/07/08 07:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
5BC 1132
The angels ascribe honor and glory to Christ, for even they are not secure except by looking to the sufferings of the Son of God. It is through the efficacy of the cross that the angels of heaven are guarded from apostasy. Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan. Angelic perfection failed in heaven. Human perfection failed in Eden, the paradise of bliss. All who wish for security in earth or heaven must look to the Lamb of God. {5BC 1132.8}

I don't see the difficult in understanding this quote. I'm not saying anything different than the quote is saying. The quote says, "Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan." This is all I'm saying. Nothing different than this.

If without the cross the angels would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the cross it must follow that they became more secure after the cross than they were before. Wouldn't you agree that this is a sound application of logic?

I'm not disputing her statement or your logic. I'm trying to understand it. "Without the cross they would be no more secure against evil than were the angels before the fall of Satan."

You seem to be saying this quote teaches angels were not secure against evil before Lucifer rebelled. If this is what you believe the quote means, why, then, did two-thirds of the angels choose not to rebel?

What enabled them to side with God, to resist rebelling, to remain loyal, submissive, and obedient? What safeguarded them against falling with Lucifer?

In what sense are they more secure against evil than they were before Jesus died on the cross? Were they at risk of falling after Satan rebelled and before Jesus died? I'm talking about the loyal angels.

Re: Can the Law save us? [Re: Tom] #102415
09/07/08 08:08 PM
09/07/08 08:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Tom, if God can think of all the ways the future can play out, what good does it do Him since, according to the view you hold to, He doesn't know how it will play out.

TE: God simply knows the future as it is. It's not a matter of doing Him good. He knows reality as it is, not as it isn't. According to your view, there's only one thing that can happen in the future, which is that which God sees will happen. You don't see a problem with this?

Knowing how the future will certainly play out doesn’t prevent God from knowing all the ways it could have turned out. The view I hold includes all of the above, whereas the view you hold does not include God knowing how the future will certainly play out. I see that as a problem for God. God’s reality, according to the view you are advocating, involves Him not knowing how the future will certainly play out, which means as He looks ahead He sees numerous possibilities but no certainties. The future, from this perspective, offers options but not answers.

Quote:
MM: And, if God's knowing all the ways the future can play out doesn't rob FMAs of their ability and freedom to choose as they please, why would it be any different if He knew which way the future will play out?

TE: Because what robs an FMA of their ability to choose is the number of options they have, not what God foresees. The problem with God foreseeing one option is that this means they only have one option. It's the one option that is the problem, not the foreseeing of it.

Again, God foresees all the options. It’s just that He also happens to know which option will play out. None of the aspects of God’s knowledge or foreknowledge robs FMAs of their ability or freedom to choose as they please. They are free to choose and God is free to report 1) the choice they made, 2) the immediate outcome of their choice, and 3) the ripple effect of said outcome to the end of time. Remember, for God the future is like watching a rerun. He knows the “end” from the beginning. In other words, our future is history from God’s timeless, eternal perspective. Our rules of time do not apply to a timeless God. He doesn’t guess what might happen in the future; instead, He reports what did happen. Such journalism in no way robs FMAs of their ability and freedom to choose as they please.

Quote:
MM: Knowing all the ways limits the choices available to FMAs.

TE: No, this is wrong. It doesn't.

MM: How so? They are not truly free to choose a way God has not thought of, right?

TE: No. God foresees every possible option. The only limitation is that which is possible. You could say that they are "limited" to only choosing possible options. That is, they cannot choose impossible options. But that's not limiting, is it? For example, God has foreseen that you cannot sprout wings like a bird and fly to the moon. Has your freedom to do so been limited because God has foreseen this?

A person’s place in history has a bearing on this point. If you were to ask a person living 500 years ago this type of question and gave as an example, walking on the moon, what answer would you expect?

At any rate, I agree with you that God knows all the legitimate options, even the ones that wouldn’t have seemed legitimate to people living 500 years ago. But in so saying aren’t you agreeing with me that nobody can think of an option God doesn’t know about?

For the sake of discussion, let’s say those options are 10. We both agree God knows they will choose one of those options. They are not free to choose an option not listed. Such freedom is impossible. The same things could be said if the list contained 2 options. But what if the legitimate options were 1? Then what? Do the same things apply?

Quote:
TE: Regarding your question if God would have been willing to create FMA's if He was certain they would rebel, I don't think this is possible. That is, FMA's have free will, which means they can choose either to sin or not sin. Why would an FMA choose to sin? I don't see how this question can be answered, even by God. Can you answer it? If there's no reason for an FMA to sin, how could God foresee that it would certainly happen?

MM: Back at you. How could God foresee that it might happen, that there was a "small chance" it might happen?

TE: Foreseeing that it might happen is a much different thing than foreseeing it would certainly happen. God created beings that could love and be loved, and doing so means they had to have free will, which means they might choose not to love. Love always has this risk.

You are misstating the view I have been sharing. God doesn’t foresee what “might” happen; instead, He reports what did happen.

Quote:
TE: Now assuming that God knew for certain that sin would occur if He created Lucifer, why did He do so?

For the same reason He created A&E in spite of knowing they were going to sin. “But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness.” {AG 129.2}

Quote:
TE: If God foresaw the certainty of sin, that would imply a fault on His part, as well as making Him responsible for the existence of sin.

MM: This applies with more force to the view you espouse.

TE: Not if one understands the nature of free will.

MM: God gambled that FMAs wouldn't rebel. He created them hoping they wouldn't rebel. He gambled and lost. Gambling is a sin. Sin, sinners, and rebellion exist because God gambled and lost. According to the view you believe in, God is guilty of gambling and losing, guilty of doing the very thing that resulted in the emergence of sin, sinners, rebellion, and death.

TE: MM, have you ever loved someone and not had that person return your love? Wouldn't it be absurd of me to accuse you of gambling and sinning because you loved someone who chose not to love you back?

Not if it wasn’t a gamble. If I knew they would certainly not love me in return it would break my heart but it wouldn’t prevent me from loving them. God is not the gambler your view makes Him out to be. Gambling is a sin. God didn’t create FMAs “hoping” they wouldn’t sin.

He knew it would happen, and He knew precisely which ones would sin and die in the lake of fire, and which ones would sin and be saved from dying in the lake of fire.

His options were limited to two: 1) create FMAs and deal with the sin problem, and 2) not to create them. He willingly chose the first option.

Page 14 of 27 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 26 27

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!