HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,641
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, daylily, dedication), 3,117 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: asygo] #103832
10/20/08 02:39 PM
10/20/08 02:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, but it's possible to not have perfect faith, or to choose not to exercise it when being tempted.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103848
10/20/08 04:05 PM
10/20/08 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
Rosangela, are you saying it is impossible for humans to reach a point where they no longer sin, that they will always be guilty of sinning in one form or another? Does this include the 144,000?

No, I’m not saying that. Man’s obedience, most of his life at least, is imperfect. But even if one day his obedience, through God’s power, becomes perfect, he still has a past debt of transgression he can’t pay, as Arnold has been pointing out. Therefore, Christ’s righteousness alone can avail for the obtainment of eternal life.

"Let no one take the limited, narrow position that any of the works of man can help in the least possible way to liquidate the debt of his transgression. ... God always demanded good works, the law demands it, but because man placed himself in sin where his good works were valueless, Jesus' righteousness alone can avail." {OHC 122.2}

"But are good works of no real value? Is the sinner who commits sin every day with impunity, regarded of God with the same favor as the one who through faith in Christ tries to work in his integrity? ... We are accepted through Christ's merit alone; and the acts of mercy, the deeds of charity, which we perform, are the fruits of faith; and they become a blessing to us; for men are to be rewarded according to their works. It is the fragrance of the merit of Christ that makes our good works acceptable to God, and it is grace that enables us to do the works for which He rewards us. Our works in and of themselves have no merit. . . . We deserve no thanks from God. We have only done what it was our duty to do, and our works could not have been performed in the strength of our own sinful natures." {OHC 122.3}

By the way, the passage says that one reason why our works have no merit is because they could not have been performed in the strength of our own sinful natures. If this is the case, and if Christ also had a sinful nature, it follows that His works, His obedience, His character, couldn’t be meritorious either. And, in that case, we would be lost.

Thank you for answering my question. I agree people can reach a point where they no longer sin, but their salvation is based entirely on the fact Jesus 1) paid their sin debt of death, and 2) clothes them with His robe of righteousness.

I do not, of course, agree possessing sinful flesh prevents Jesus from being our sin substitute and Savior. It is not a sin to possess sinful flesh. Sin is the transgression of the law - not possessing sinful flesh which clamors for sinful expression.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103866
10/21/08 04:37 PM
10/21/08 04:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom
T: ... because Christ had perfect faith he could not sin.

A: Is it possible to sin while having perfect faith?

T: No, but it's possible to not have perfect faith, or to choose not to exercise it when being tempted.

The same applies to Jesus, right? He could have sinned if He hadn't exercised perfect faith every moment of every day of His life.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103868
10/21/08 04:50 PM
10/21/08 04:50 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Where is a single statement where Scripture or Ellen White says that a born again Christ exercising faith in Christ is not really righteous?
I didn't see you answer this.

But I did answer it. Do you remember I quoted 1 John 1:8? (see below).

Quote:
What do you do with John who says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous?" How can this be reconciled with the idea that we are not really righteous? What didn't John write something like "He who does righteousness is called righteous (but not really righteous) even as He is righteous"?

And, as I had asked in a previous post, what do you do with the same John who says

“If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8)?

How would you describe a righteous person who is not without sin?
It’s not just that “our vision of ourselves as sinners rests in our having crucified Christ by our sins,” but it rests also in the fact that occasionally we do sin. About this, Gill says,

“The sins of believers are equally sins with other persons, are of the same kind and nature, and equally transgressions of the law, ... now though a believer may say that he has not this or that particular sin, or is not guilty of this or that sin, ... yet he cannot say he has no sin.”

And as I pointed out in my previous post (not to mention the subject of our pre-conversion sins), even if the standard of perfect righteousness – no sin - can and will be attained, only when it is attained could we be called righteous with propriety, otherwise we are called righteous without in fact being righteous.

Quote:
Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning.(DA 311)

It seems to me that a person who is not sinning is really righteous. If Christ always separates the contrite soul from sinning, wouldn't that mean he's not sinning, as long as he is contrite? And aren't all justified persons contrite?

Aren’t all justified persons still growing in their contrition? Do you know any justified person who has never sinned after his/her justification? As far as I know, both Moses and Elijah sinned just some days before they went to heaven.

Quote:
It's easier if you respond to questions the first time they come up.

Sorry, but I wasn’t understanding what you were asking, and I told you so. Our mindsets are so different we many times talk past each other.

Quote:
The message she endorsed was a specific message, that message being what they were preaching, not simply righteousness by faith in some generic way which didn't involve the specific truths they were presenting.

Jones and Waggoner turned the eyes of the church members again to Jesus, whom they (the latter) had lost sight of. But what was distinctive about their message in relation to their predecessors was that righteousness by faith was presented in the setting of the third angel’s message. Ellen White says this:

“The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Jones and Waggoner. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. ... This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel’s message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure” (TM 91, 92).

And Waggoner himself says this, in one of his closing remarks in The Gospel in the Book of Galatians:

"If our people should today, as a body (as they will sometime), change their view on this point, it would simply be ... a step nearer the faith of the great Reformers from the days of Paul to the days of Luther and Wesley. It would be a step closer to the heart of the Third Angel's Message. I do not regard this view which I hold as a new idea at all. It is not a new theory of doctrine. Everything that I have taught is perfectly in harmony with the fundamental principles of truth which have been held not only by our people, but by all the eminent reformers."

Quote:
McMahon is dead wrong on this. You're taking a wrong and dangerous tack here by relying on secondary sources. We have what Waggoner wrote, and we have what Ellen White wrote. You should research these sources, and not rely on McMahon.

Well, I understood he had access to materials written by Waggoner before 1888. I can’t think I once had access to all this material when I worked at the White State Center, and I now live so far from it.
The problem with “The Gospel in Galatians” (and, in fact, with all his subsequent material) is that he doesn’t explain clearly his views on justification and sanctification and doesn’t define the terms.

Quote:
T: In regards to the "two more" statements you found where they disagree with Ellen White, what are they "two more" in relation to?
R:The others we’ve already discussed in the past.
T: Which were what?

About the covenants, remember?
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=96613&fpart=6

Quote:
R: A common idea at that time, as today, was that Christ had taken the human nature but was not capable of yielding to temptation [because He was God] ... Again, this was the subject of the letters that had been coming to Ellen White.
T: This doesn't make sense. If this had been the case, she would have said that questions had been coming to her regarding Christ's being able to yield to temptation, not to His taking our nature. Nobody didn't believe that Christ didn't take human nature at all. The question was if He took a human nature such as we have (which is what Jones and Waggoner preached -- and her, of course, and she was preaching by their side). [emphasis mine]

Have you read attentively the quote you provided?

"Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if he had, he would have fallen under similar temptations. If he did not have man's nature, he could not be our example. If he was not a partaker of our nature, he could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for him to yield to temptation, he could not be our helper." (1888 Mat. 533)

You presented the very same argument in the discussion to which I provided the link, and I gave on the occasion the very same reply that I will give now: Ellen White in this passage is by no means analyzing if Christ’s nature was fallen or unfallen, but the fact that He took “man’s nature,” otherwise “He could not have been tempted as man has been.” As far as I know, man could be tempted both before and after his fall, so she is here speaking of the human condition, not of a pre-fall or post-fall condition.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103890
10/21/08 10:22 PM
10/21/08 10:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
T: Where is a single statement where Scripture or Ellen White says that a born again Christ exercising faith in Christ is not really righteous? I didn't see you answer this.

R: But I did answer it. Do you remember I quoted 1 John 1:8? (see below). “What do you do with John who says, "He who does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous?" How can this be reconciled with the idea that we are not really righteous? What didn't John write something like "He who does righteousness is called righteous (but not really righteous) even as He is righteous"?

And, as I had asked in a previous post, what do you do with the same John who says, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8)?

If I may address this point. First, John isn’t saying in 1 John 1:8 that people will continue to sin until Jesus returns and rewards them with a sinless body and nature. Since this isn’t what he’s saying, what is he saying? The context makes it clear he’s talking about past sins, that is, “all have sinned”, therefore, anyone who says otherwise is a liar and the truth is not in them.

Secondly, 1 John 3:7 is true while believers are abiding in Jesus. That they might sin in the near future is immaterial. Whether they ever sin again or not has no bearing on the truthfulness of what John wrote, which is, believers do not and cannot sin while abiding in Jesus.

John isn’t referring to anyone and everyone. He’s referring to seasoned saints, to people who “have received the knowledge of the truth,” who are “enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come”. Hebrews 10:26 and 6:4,5. People like Paul, Peter, James, etc, people who are thoroughly indoctrinated in the truth as it is in Jesus.

People like this experience real righteousness while they are abiding in Jesus, while they are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, while they are partaking of the divine nature. It’s real righteousness, not imputed, or a combination of imputed and imparted righteousness.

People who have not been thoroughly indoctrinated like the people mentioned above, who are not obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded because they are unaware of certain aspects of the truth, are experiencing a combination of real righteousness and imputed righteousness to make up for their sins of ignorance. But John didn’t describe these people in 1 John.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103891
10/21/08 11:15 PM
10/21/08 11:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, I'm not understanding your answer to my question regarding what John says. Johns says whoever does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous. What do you think he means?

In regards to my request for a statement from Scripture which says that we are merely called righteous, but not actually righteous, you are suggesting that the following is such a statement?

Quote:
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If so, this would seem to me to be forcing John to say something he has no intention of saying. The statement "he who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous" would seem to be so clear as to not be able to be misunderstood. A righteous person is one who does righteousness, or, conversely, one who does righteousness is a righteous person. Especially when you take the context into consideration, this seems especially clear. I don't understand how you can get from John's statement the idea "One who does righteousness is not really righteous, but merely called righteous."

Quote:
Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning.(DA 311)

T:It seems to me that a person who is not sinning is really righteous. If Christ always separates the contrite soul from sinning, wouldn't that mean he's not sinning, as long as he is contrite? And aren't all justified persons contrite?

R:Aren’t all justified persons still growing in their contrition? Do you know any justified person who has never sinned after his/her justification? As far as I know, both Moses and Elijah sinned just some days before they went to heaven.

She said, "Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin." This is a clear and easy to understand statement. A contrite soul is separated from sin.

A person's faith may waiver, or a person may fall into temptation, or whatever, but her statement isn't dealing with this, but simply stating that Christ always does something, which is to separate the contrite soul from sin. If a person is separated from sin, then wouldn't he be righteous?

Let's take a look at John again:

Quote:
5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:6-9)

10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

This is speaking of one who is born again, which is to say justified. It's very similar in thought to the COL 312 passage. It is speaking in very practical terms of what constitutes a righteous person (i.e. someone who is born again) and what doesn't. Again, I don't see where John's statement leaves room for the idea of a born again person being merely called righteous but not actually being righteous.

Regarding your point about a person not having sin, I understand that John is getting at the same thing EGW addresses here:

Quote:
The nearer we come to Jesus and the more clearly we discern the purity of His character, the more clearly we shall discern the exceeding sinfulness of sin and the less we shall feel like exalting ourselves. Those whom heaven recognizes as holy ones are the last to parade their own goodness. The apostle Peter became a faithful minister of Christ, and he was greatly honored with divine light and power; he had an active part in the upbuilding of Christ's church; but Peter never forgot the fearful experience of his humiliation; his sin was forgiven; yet well he knew that for the weakness of character which had caused his fall only the grace of Christ could avail. He found in himself nothing in which to glory.

None of the apostles or prophets ever claimed to be without sin. Men who have lived nearest to God, men who would sacrifice life itself rather than knowingly commit a wrong act, men whom God had honored with divine light and power, have confessed the sinfulness of their own nature. They have put no confidence in the flesh, have claimed no righteousness of their own, but have trusted wholly in the righteousness of Christ. So will it be with all who behold Christ.

At every advance step in Christian experience our repentance will deepen. It is to those whom the Lord has forgiven, to those whom He acknowledges as His people, that He says, "Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight." Eze. 36:31. Again He says, "I will establish My covenant with thee, and thou shalt know that I am the Lord; that thou mayest remember, and be confounded, and never open thy mouth any more because of thy shame, when I am pacified toward thee for all that thou hast done, saith the Lord God." Eze. 16:62, 63. Then our lips will not be opened in self-glorification. We shall know that our sufficiency is in Christ alone. We shall make the apostle's confession our own. "I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing." Rom. 7:18. "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Gal. 6:14. (COL 160-161)

This doesn't imply that a person is actively sinning, nor that a person need to sin, as the following (and many, many other statements) makes clear:

Quote:
God's ideal for His children is higher than the highest human thought can reach. "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." This command is a promise. The plan of redemption contemplates our complete recovery from the power of Satan. Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin. He came to destroy the works of the devil, and He has made provision that the Holy Spirit shall be imparted to every repentant soul, to keep him from sinning. (DA 311)

Quote:
T:It's easier if you respond to questions the first time they come up.

R:Sorry, but I wasn’t understanding what you were asking, and I told you so. Our mindsets are so different we many times talk past each other.

Ok, thank you. I understand this, and accept it. I was bringing this up because I would like to avoid what happened recently in the Col. 2:14 thread where I labored for many posts to establish a point that you already agreed with.

Quote:
Jones and Waggoner turned the eyes of the church members again to Jesus, whom they (the latter) had lost sight of. But what was distinctive about their message in relation to their predecessors was that righteousness by faith was presented in the setting of the third angel’s message.

What do you mean by this? (the last sentence).

Quote:

Ellen White says this:

“The Lord in His great mercy sent a most precious message to His people through Elders Jones and Waggoner. This message was to bring more prominently before the world the uplifted Saviour, the sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. It presented justification through faith in the Surety; it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God. ... This is the message that God commanded to be given to the world. It is the third angel’s message, which is to be proclaimed with a loud voice, and attended with the outpouring of His Spirit in a large measure” (TM 91, 92).

I know she says this. I quoted it to you. I pointed out she says, "it invited the people to receive the righteousness of Christ, which is made manifest in obedience to all the commandments of God" which is to say that one who is justified by faith is not merely called righteous, but manifests obedience to all the commandments of God (i.e., is righteous).

Quote:
And Waggoner himself says this, in one of his closing remarks in The Gospel in the Book of Galatians:

.... I do not regard this view which I hold as a new idea at all. ...

It's natural that Waggoner would write something like this; he was a humble man. However, he, as the porter of the message, was unaware of somethings Ellen White, the prophet, was aware of. For example, she identified the message which Jones and Waggoner presented as the beginning of the loud cry, and of the latter rain. She identified this with the specific message they were being presented, and this was well known by Adventists at the time.

Ellen White wrote that Jones and Waggoner brought light that we would not otherwise have had unless God had sent someone else to bring it. The message Jones and Waggoner preached was not simply what Luther preached. There were distinctive elements to the message, some of which I've been quoting from "Christ and His Righteousness," which is taken from what Waggoner presented at the 1888 GC session.

Quote:
Well, I understood he had access to materials written by Waggoner before 1888. I can’t think I once had access to all this material when I worked at the White State Center, and I now live so far from it.
The problem with “The Gospel in Galatians” (and, in fact, with all his subsequent material) is that he doesn’t explain clearly his views on justification and sanctification and doesn’t define the terms.

The book "Christ and His Righteousness" is one of the clearest books on the subject I've every read. Actually, I can't think of anything clearer. One of the big problems of teaching justification by faith is how to relate salvation being by grace on the one hand with obedience to the commandments being necessary on the other. Sister White struggled with this, and knew what she wanted to say, but was unable to express it, except in private conversations with her husband. When she heard Waggoner present righteousness by faith, she lit up. She said, "There is great light here!" She saw in his words what she had been trying to present herself, and immediately recognized it as light from heaven.

In regards to considering Waggoner's writings, the time to be concerned with is the time during which he was being endorsed. Ellen White endorsed him (or Jones) nearly 2,000 times during the years 1888 through 1896. There are many articles available on line that one can look at. His theology didn't change during this time. This isn't to say he didn't have new insights, of course, but the doctrine of justification by faith which he taught was the same as what he presented in Mpls. in 1888 and Ellen White continued to enthusiastically endorse it throughout this time. When Prescott jumped on the bandwagon in 1895, she endorsed him as enthusiastically as she had been endorsing them.

Quote:
T: In regards to the "two more" statements you found where they disagree with Ellen White, what are they "two more" in relation to?
R:The others we’ve already discussed in the past.
T: Which were what?

About the covenants, remember?

I'm only aware of one disagreement that Waggoner had with Ellen white, which is the one I cited. I wasn't aware of the statement from the Oct. ST that you mentioned, and don't know enough about it to comment upon it. Regarding the Covenants, she writes:

Quote:
I have no brakes to put on now. I stand in perfect freedom, calling light, light, and darkness, darkness. I told them yesterday that the position of the covenants I believed as presented in my Volume I [Patriarchs and Prophets]. If that was Dr. Waggoner's position then he had the truth. (1888 Mat. 617)

And shortly thereafter:

Quote:
Since I made the statement last Sabbath that the view of the covenants as it had been taught by Brother Waggoner was truth, it seems that great relief has come to many minds. (ibid. 623)

So *she* obviously viewed her person as agreeing with Waggoner's. Hence I think it is more likely if someone thinks there is a disagreement between Waggoner and EGW, that such a person is mistaken than that Waggoner and EGW differ on this subject, since Ellen White herself didn't think so.

Quote:
Have you read attentively the quote you provided?

"Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if he had, he would have fallen under similar temptations. If he did not have man's nature, he could not be our example. If he was not a partaker of our nature, he could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for him to yield to temptation, he could not be our helper." (1888 Mat. 533)

You presented the very same argument in the discussion to which I provided the link, and I gave on the occasion the very same reply that I will give now: Ellen White in this passage is by no means analyzing if Christ’s nature was fallen or unfallen, but the fact that He took “man’s nature,” otherwise “He could not have been tempted as man has been.” As far as I know, man could be tempted both before and after his fall, so she is here speaking of the human condition, not of a pre-fall or post-fall condition.

I don't understand what you're suggesting. Here's what I understand:

1.Jones and Waggoner preached that Christ took our fallen human nature.

2.Ellen White was preaching with them.

3.Letters came to her saying that Christ could not have taken our fallen human nature, because if He had, He would have fallen under the temptations we do.

Ellen White countered this by saying:

1.If Christ did not take our fallen human nature, it would not have been possible for Him to have yielded to temptation (which is what most pre-lapsarians believe, that Christ could not have sinned) because He could not have been tempted as we are tempted (with its implied ability of being able to fall to temptation).

I understand that unfallen Adam could have yielded to temptation, and that Christ taking human nature could have been tempted as unfallen Adam was, and failed like he did, which is what you're arguing (at least, what I understand you to be arguing). However, this isn't something Jones and Waggoner talked about, so I don't see how people could have had questions about this.

Also, I still don't understand why you think she said that letters had been coming to her affirming that Christ could not have taken our nature. It seems to me that if what you are suggesting were true, she would have written, "Letters have been coming to me, affirming that Christ could not have fallen under similar temptations that we do ..." Why did she mention taking human nature?

That is, as I see it:

1.Letters have been coming to me affirming that Christ could not have taken fallen human nature
2.Because had He done so, He would have fallen under similar temptations that we do.

You have (as I understand it):

1.Letters have been coming to me affirming that Christ could not have taken human nature (any kind)
2.Because had He done so, He would have fallen under similar temptations that we do.

I don't understand how this makes sense. I feel I must be misunderstanding you here. Surely no one was arguing Christ didn't take human nature. (or is this what you are suggesting(?))

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103906
10/22/08 02:39 PM
10/22/08 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I appreciate very much what you posted above. Thank you for the spirit and the content. Well done. God is good.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103919
10/22/08 07:13 PM
10/22/08 07:13 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Rosangela, I'm not understanding your answer to my question regarding what John says. Johns says whoever does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous. What do you think he means?

He means that he who does righteousness is righteous, in the sense that, while the fruits of Christ's imparted righteousness are seen in his life, Christ’s imputed righteousness makes up for his “unavoidable deficiencies.”

Quote:
I don't understand how you can get from John's statement the idea "One who does righteousness is not really righteous, but merely called righteous."

In fact, I don’t get this from John’s statement, but from my observation of Christians, including those of Bible times. I don't see them as without sin, deficiencies, imperfections.

Quote:
She said, "Christ always separates the contrite soul from sin." This is a clear and easy to understand statement. A contrite soul is separated from sin. ... If a person is separated from sin, then wouldn't he be righteous?

What I’m saying from the beginning is that the Christian is righteous, but not in the absolute sense of the term. The Bible does call Christians righteous and saints but, as I said, this means they are considered to be such, without being so in the absolute sense of these terms.
I would like to know what you think about this: What happens when a Christian sins? Does he cease to be righteous? Yes or No? Why?

Quote:
But what was distinctive about their message in relation to their predecessors was that righteousness by faith was presented in the setting of the third angel’s message.

“Elder E. J. Waggoner had the privilege granted him of speaking plainly and presenting his views upon justification by faith and the righteousness of Christ in relation to the law. This was no new light, but it was old light placed where it should be in the third angel's message. What is the burden of that message? John sees a people. He says, ‘Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus’ (Rev. 14:12). This people John beholds just before he sees the Son of man ‘having on His head a golden crown, and in His hand a sharp sickle’ (verse 14). The faith of Jesus has been overlooked and treated in an indifferent, careless manner. It has not occupied the prominent position in which it was revealed to John. Faith in Christ as the sinner's only hope has been largely left out, not only of the discourses given but of the religious experience of very many who claim to believe the third angel's message. At this meeting I bore testimony that the most precious light had been shining forth from the Scriptures in the presentation of the great subject of the righteousness of Christ connected with the law, which should be constantly kept before the sinner as his only hope of salvation. ... The third angel's message is the proclamation of the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ. The commandments of God have been proclaimed, but the faith of Jesus Christ has not been proclaimed by Seventh-day Adventists as of equal importance, the law and the gospel going hand in hand. I cannot find language to express this subject in its fullness.” {12MR 187, 188, 193}

Quote:
Regarding the Covenants, she writes:

Again, as I said in the past, she endorsed the main thrust of the message, which was the moral law as the revealer of sin, as condemning the sinner who is without a Savior, and how this relates to the old and the new covenants and to the subject of righteousness by faith.

Quote:
If Christ did not take our fallen human nature, it would not have been possible for Him to have yielded to temptation (which is what most pre-lapsarians believe, that Christ could not have sinned)

What many people believe is that Christ took human nature but was incapable of yielding to temptation. Among those who believe this, there are both some pre-lapsarians and some post-lapsarians (as was the case of Waggoner). These two premises are mutually exclusive, as Ellen White points out:

“Many claim that it was impossible for Christ to be overcome by temptation. Then He could not have been placed in Adam's position; He could not have gained the victory that Adam failed to gain. If we have in any sense a more trying conflict than had Christ, then He would not be able to succor us. But our Saviour took humanity, with all its liabilities. He took the nature of man, with the possibility of yielding to temptation. We have nothing to bear which He has not endured.” {DA 117.2}

Ellen White's point: If He took human nature without the possibility of yielding to temptation, that is, without one of its liabilities, it wasn't human nature that He took.

Last edited by Rosangela; 10/22/08 07:31 PM. Reason: add comment
Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Rosangela] #103926
10/23/08 12:29 AM
10/23/08 12:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
T:Rosangela, I'm not understanding your answer to my question regarding what John says. Johns says whoever does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous. What do you think he means?

R:He means that he who does righteousness is righteous, in the sense that, while the fruits of Christ's imparted righteousness are seen in his life, Christ’s imputed righteousness makes up for his “unavoidable deficiencies.”

How do you get this from "He who does righteousness is righteous?" This seems like a classic case of eisegesis.

Quote:
T:I don't understand how you can get from John's statement the idea "One who does righteousness is not really righteous, but merely called righteous."

R:In fact, I don’t get this from John’s statement, but from my observation of Christians, including those of Bible times. I don't see them as without sin, deficiencies, imperfections.

Ok, I agree you can't get this from John's statement. Regarding your comment, this is a different comment. You're talking about about perfection. John isn't talking about perfection, but of being righteous. John says a person who does righteousness is righteous. This is very simple. It agrees with the Hebrew concept of righteousness expressed all throughout the OT.

Quote:
The Hebrew word for righteousness is tseh'-dek, tzedek, Gesenius's Strong's Concordance:6664—righteous, integrity, equity, justice, straightness. The root of tseh'-dek is tsaw-dak', Gesenius's Strong:6663—upright, just, straight, innocent, true, sincere. It is best understood as the product of upright, moral action in accordance with some form of divine plan.

In the Book of Job the title character is introduced to us as a person who is "perfect" in righteousness. This does not mean that he is sinless."Perfect" in this sense means that his righteousness permeates every relationship of his life as his working principle.(wiki)

This is from Wiki (and if it's from Wiki, you know it can't be wrong).

This is from http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_NDCT_Righteousness.htm

Quote:
These two settings (lawcourt and covenant) combine to produce the developed covenantal theology which underlay Judaism at the time of Jesus. To have ‘righteousness’ meant to belong to the covenant, the boundary marker of which was the Torah, and the hope of which was that God, in accordance with his own righteousness, would act in history to ‘vindicate’, to ‘justify’, his people (i.e. to show that they really were his people) by saving them from their enemies. These meanings are reflected particularly in Matthew, where ‘righteousness’ is shorthand both for the saving plan of God (Mt. 3:15) and for the covenantal obligations of his people (5:20; 6:1), and Luke, which emphasizes the ‘righteous’ standing of many of the key actors in the drama (Lk. 1:6; 2:25; 23:50; Acts 10:22). Jesus himself is sometimes called ‘the righteous one’, in virtue of his being the one designated by God as his true covenant partner (e.g. Acts 3:14; 7:52, 22:14, Jas. 5:6). The Jewish belief that God would judge the world justly is echoed repeatedly in the NT, e.g. 2 Thes. 1:5-6; Rom. 2:1-16; Heb. 12:23. But the fullest development comes in Paul, particularly with his exposition in Romans of the righteousness of God.

The above brings out that "righteous," in Scripture, did not mean "someone who kept the law perfectly his whole life." It never had that meaning to any Jewish person. Clearly if this were what "righteous" meant, no one could be referred to as a righteous person.

From the same website:

Quote:
The view that ‘the righteousness of God’ refers to a righteousness which God gives to, bestows upon, or recognizes in human beings came initially from Augustine, but gained its force (in terms of the development of modern theology) from Luther’s reaction against a iustitia distributiva. The term iustitia, as found in the Latin Vulgate, had indeed pulled the understanding of texts such as Rom. 1:17 in the (false) direction of a merely ‘distributive’ justice, in which God simply rewards virtue and punishes vice. Luther’s alternative, however fruitful in opening new worlds of theology to him, was in some ways equally misleading, for it directed attention away from the biblical notion of God’s covenant faithfulness and instead placed greater emphasis upon the status of the human being. In the period after Luther, Protestant theology largely returned to the notion of the distributive justice of God: because God is righteous, he must in fact reward virtue and punish sin, and this satisfaction of divine justice took place in Christ.

Quote:
What I’m saying from the beginning is that the Christian is righteous, but not in the absolute sense of the term.

You said that born again people are called righteous without really being righteous. What Waggoner said was the the power of God's word, which declares the sinner righteous, make his righteous, because God cannot lie. When God says "there is light" in a dark place, even though the place was dark, after God speaks the words, there is light. Similarly when God says, "there is righteousness" where there was none before God spoke, then there is righteousness.

Quote:
6For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Cor. 4:60

This was Waggoner's argument. This was his understanding of imputed righteousness. I've been arguing that, given EGW's endorsements of rbf, that Waggoner's understanding on this point must have been correct. Either that or her endorsement was bogus. One could hardly be wrong on such a fundamental issue and have a correct view of rbf.

Quote:
The Bible does call Christians righteous and saints but, as I said, this means they are considered to be such, without being so in the absolute sense of these terms.

A saint, in Scripture, is simply someone who has believed in Jesus Christ. It seems to me you are using definitions of terms which are not in Scripture (i.e., the definitions), and then making statements about the terms using these definitions. For example, you say no one is righteous because they have not kept the law their whole life. But this was not the Hebrew understanding of the word "righteous." Similarly the word "saint," in Scripture, means simply one who has believed in Christ.

Quote:
I would like to know what you think about this: What happens when a Christian sins? Does he cease to be righteous? Yes or No? Why?

This is how I see it. It depends upon what you have in mind by saying "when a Christian sins". If you mean deliberate sin, then what John says applies:

Quote:
8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:8,9)

If you mean an unknown sin, then the following applies:

Quote:
Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b, page 3)

Quote:
But what was distinctive about their message in relation to their predecessors was that righteousness by faith was presented in the setting of the third angel’s message.

I was actually asking what you meant by saying "righteousness by faith was presented in the setting of the third angel’s message."

By the way, there are both old light and new light quotes. People complained about both things, so she answered the complaints in both ways. That is, some people complained the J&W were presenting new light, so EGW responded to these people by saying that it wasn't new, it was in the Bible. Other people complained that there was nothing new about, and she responded to these people by pointing out that it was light from heaven that we would not have had unless God had sent someone else to bring it.

Quote:
Again, as I said in the past, she endorsed the main thrust of the message, which was the moral law as the revealer of sin, as condemning the sinner who is without a Savior, and how this relates to the old and the new covenants and to the subject of righteousness by faith.

This argument doesn't work. It's not considering the historical facts, in particular the controversy in relation to the Law in Galatians.

Waggoner's whole framework on the covenants is summarized by this:

Quote:
That the covenant and promise of God are one and the same thing, is clearly seen from Gal.3:17, where it appears that to disannul the covenant would be to make void the promise. In Genesis 17 we read that God made a covenant with Abraham to give him the land of Canaan--and with it the whole world--for an everlasting possession; but Gal.3:18 says that God gave it to him by promise. God's covenants with men can be nothing else than promises to them: "Who hath first given to Him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things." Rom.11:35,36. It is so rare for men to do anything without expecting an equivalent, that theologians have taken it for granted that it is the same with God. So they begin their dissertations on God's covenant with the statement that a covenant is "a mutual agreement between two or more persons, to do or refrain from doing certain things." But God does not make bargains with men, because He knows that they could not fulfil their part. After the flood God made a covenant with every beast of the earth, and with every fowl; but the beasts and the birds did not promise anything in return. Gen.9:9-16. They simply received the favor at the hand of God. That is all we can do. God promises us everything that we need, and more than we can ask or think, as a gift. We give Him ourselves, that is, nothing, and He gives us Himself, that is, everything. That which makes all the trouble is that even when men are willing to recognize the Lord at all, they want to make bargains with Him. They want it to be a "mutual" affair--a transaction in which they will be considered as on a par with God. But whoever deals with God must deal with Him on His own terms, that is, on a basis of fact--that we have nothing and are nothing, and He has everything and is everything, and gives everything. (The Glad Tidings)

If you can't agree with this, you're not agreeing with his view on the Covenants. Waggoner's entire point, in regards to the covenants, was that it was not a matter of time but of condition. He used this argument to prove that the Law in Galatians was not the ceremonial law, but the moral law. His argument was that Paul's reasoning was not dispensational, as Butler was arguing.

Quote:
The covenant question is a clear question and would be received by every candid, unprejudiced mind, but I was brought where the Lord gave me an insight into this matter. You have turned from plain light because you were afraid that the law question in Galatians would have to be accepted.(MR No. 761)

The whole force of Waggoner's argument goes away without the dispensational argument, and also EGW's statement about their being afraid they'd have to change their minds regarding the Law in Galatians. She was correct in her observation, because the same dispensational (or anti-dispensation) argument that is the force of Waggoner's covenant view, knocks out their view of the Law in Galatians as well.

I'll catch the last comment on the nature of Christ later.

Re: Does the legal aspect of imputed righteousness make sense under the Christus Victor model? [Re: Tom] #103927
10/23/08 01:37 AM
10/23/08 01:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
T: I don't understand how you can get from John's statement the idea "One who does righteousness is not really righteous, but merely called righteous."

R: In fact, I don’t get this from John’s statement, but from my observation of Christians, including those of Bible times. I don't see them as without sin, deficiencies, imperfections. . . I would like to know what you think about this: What happens when a Christian sins? Does he cease to be righteous? Yes or No? Why?

Again, if I may add my two cents worth. Jesus is the standard of Christianity – not fallen or faulty sinners. John describes Christians who are abiding in Jesus. While they are abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit, they are righteous like Jesus and for the same reasons Jesus was righteous.

When people neglect to abide in Jesus they cease to be righteous like Jesus, but the moment they repent God restores the relationship their sin severed. They resume being righteous like Jesus. They are only able to be righteous while abiding in Jesus. That’s what John is saying. He is not saying they will never sin again or that they have never sinned in the past.

SC 61
We do not earn salvation by our obedience; for salvation is the free gift of God, to be received by faith. But obedience is the fruit of faith. "Ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, neither known Him." 1 John 3:5, 6. Here is the true test. If we abide in Christ, if the love of God dwells in us, our feelings, our thoughts, our purposes, our actions, will be in harmony with the will of God as expressed in the precepts of His holy law. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous." 1 John 3:7. Righteousness is defined by the standard of God's holy law, as expressed in the ten precepts given on Sinai. {SC 61.1}

A mere profession of godliness is worthless. It is he that abideth in Christ that is a Christian. For "every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." In every clime, in every nation, our youth should cooperate with God. The only way a person can be pure is to become like-minded with God. How can we know God?--By studying His Word. . . . {SD 297.2}

It is through faith in Jesus Christ that the truth is accepted in the heart and the human agent is purified and cleansed. Jesus was "wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Is it possible to be healed, while knowingly committing sin?--No; it is genuine faith that says, I know that I have committed sin, but that Jesus has pardoned my sin; and hereafter I will resist temptation in and through His might. "Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." He has an abiding principle in the soul, that enables him to overcome temptation. {SD 297.3}

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." God has power to keep the soul who is in Christ, when that soul is under temptation. "Whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." That is, every one who is a true believer is sanctified through the truth, in life and character. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth {not professeth to do} righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; . . . because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil." Now mark where the distinction is made: "Whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither is he that loveth not his brother." "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth." {SD 297.4}

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/21/24 04:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!