HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,665
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
asygo
asygo
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, Daryl), 2,591 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 35 36
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #104868
11/19/08 05:06 AM
11/19/08 05:06 AM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Certainly, God is the source of the initial seed of faith. And I'm pretty sure that He is also the source of its growth, through various manifestations of His character. But I don't have anything solid.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #104873
11/19/08 07:36 AM
11/19/08 07:36 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
“No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:15)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #104882
11/19/08 03:27 PM
11/19/08 03:27 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Was EGW wrong? Or are you misapplying Christ's words and making them more universal than He intended?

Or maybe, Jesus was saying, "I tell you WHAT I am doing" as opposed to, "I explain everything to you so you know WHY I command certain things." There's a huge difference.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #104884
11/19/08 05:22 PM
11/19/08 05:22 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Not necessarily. That quote corresponds to Ed 287.2. But it is rare if we do not pass through the experience of Ed 287.1 first.

If God intended to leave us at Ed 287.1, that would be slavish obedience. But to pass through Ed 287.1 on the way to Ed 287.2 is trust.

So you're saying before we can obey God in a reasonable way (i.e, using reason) it is first necessary that we obey Him in a way He does not desire, the "slavish obedience" that EGW speaks of?

You misunderstand what I'm saying.

"If God intended to leave us at Ed 287.1, that would be slavish obedience." That means slavish obedience requires the intent to "leave us at Ed 287.1."

"But to pass through Ed 287.1 on the way to Ed 287.2 is trust." That means that if Ed 287.1 only happens "on the way to Ed 287.2" - as a temporary situation until one arrives at Ed 287.2 - then it is implicit, even "blind," obedience.

BTW, this post highlights one reason why I put little stock in your historical evidence and arguments (from other threads). You sometimes have difficulty understanding things that are very clear, such as my reply re: Ed 287.1 and Ed 287.2. I thought it was very plain, but you somehow missed the most crucial part of my statement.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #104886
11/19/08 06:16 PM
11/19/08 06:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Was EGW wrong? Or are you misapplying Christ's words and making them more universal than He intended?

I could just as easily ask, "Was Jesus wrong? Or are you misapplying her words and making them more universal than she intended?"

I doubt Ellen White intended to contradict Jesus.

Regarding Jesus' intent, it seems pretty clear. He calls us "friends" because a "servant" does not know what his master is doing. This goes along perfectly with Ellen White's idea that God does not desire a slavish obedience.

Quote:
BTW, this post highlights one reason why I put little stock in your historical evidence and arguments (from other threads). You sometimes have difficulty understanding things that are very clear, such as my reply re: Ed 287.1 and Ed 287.2. I thought it was very plain, but you somehow missed the most crucial part of my statement.

Why shouldn't I respond the same way, Arnold? You often have difficulty understanding things that are very clear to me. Should I therefore put little stock in your arguments?

It's seems pretty incredible to me that you would just not consider the historical evidence because you think I don't understand some things which are clear to you. For almost a century, there were no pre-lapsarian statements from any SDA publication. I think 1947 was the first year anything appeared, when something appeared in a Ministry magazine.

The historical argument is very strong. It's easy to interpret Ellen White in different ways, but not so easy to deal with the historical facts.

The same principle applies to Scripture. For example, Paul is interpreted in many different ways, but if one considers the historical setting, certain interpretations can be ruled out, even if grammatically they might be possible.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #104896
11/19/08 08:10 PM
11/19/08 08:10 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

I could just as easily ask, "Was Jesus wrong? Or are you misapplying her words and making them more universal than she intended?"

You could, but it would be misapplied. You are a competent enough logician to easily see why that is.

You are making a universal claim that God never requires obedience before understanding. To refute that universal claim, I only need to find one counterexample. I found several.

I, OTOH, am not making a universal claim. I don't claim that the examples I posted are always the way it works. I am saying that God neither requires nor forbids understanding before obedience. He requires obedience, whether or not you understand the reasons for His commands. An example of either obedience without understanding or obedience with understanding poses no problem for me whatsoever.

Regarding Jesus' intent, it seems pretty clear. He calls us "friends" because a "servant" does not know what his master is doing. This goes along perfectly with Ellen White's idea that God does not desire a slavish obedience.

You said (with my emphasis), "He calls us 'friends' because a 'servant' does not know WHAT his master is doing." That is true, and I agree with you.

However, you extrapolate that to mean that Jesus expects us to always know WHY He does something. Furthermore, you claim that God does not want us to obey a command unless we understand its rationale. Both are unwarranted from the verse you cited, or from any other verse I can think of.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #104897
11/19/08 08:25 PM
11/19/08 08:25 PM
asygo  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Why shouldn't I respond the same way, Arnold? You often have difficulty understanding things that are very clear to me. Should I therefore put little stock in your arguments?

It's not a matter of difficulty of understanding (or in some cases, simply disagreeing) the subject. But it is seeing that which is not there, and not seeing that which is.

Look at our short exchange:
Quote:
If God intended to leave us at Ed 287.1, that would be slavish obedience. But to pass through Ed 287.1 on the way to Ed 287.2 is trust.

So you're saying before we can obey God in a reasonable way (i.e, using reason) it is first necessary that we obey Him in a way He does not desire, the "slavish obedience" that EGW speaks of?

You interpretation of my statement is so foreign to my intent that it could even be considered diametrically opposed to my meaning. I'm not saying you did that on purpose, but it happened anyway. And if this can happen to something so recent and simple as our discussion, how much more likely it is to happen when studying articles written over a century ago, involving the evolution of ideas which span decades.

For almost a century, there were no pre-lapsarian statements from any SDA publication.

With the notable exception of the SOP. There are many statements about Jesus not being just like us.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: asygo] #104916
11/20/08 12:17 AM
11/20/08 12:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding obedience and understanding, I am questioning that it is possible to render obedience without understanding.

Secondly, I have stated God does not desire a slavish obedience. Do we agree on this point?

Third, I quoted Jesus Christ saying that we are friends, and not servants, because a servant does not know what His master does. Doesn't this agree with the principles I've been suggesting?

Ok, I see from your response later on that you don't understand this to mean that we should know why the master is doing something. So your idea is that we are called friends because we are told what God does, but not why. This seems like a weird understanding of friendship to me. I understand the concept of friend to include implicitly why as well as what. A friend is someone with whom you share confidences; indeed, this seems to have been Jesus' whole point in saying this. To a servant you simply say, "Do!," and the servant does. To a friend, however, one shares confidences, and hopes for understanding and cooperation. It's a completely different mind-set.

Quote:
For almost a century, there were no pre-lapsarian statements from any SDA publication.

With the notable exception of the SOP.

No, not excepting her. This isn't a viable historical possibility, which is my point. The historical points involve her

a.Explicitly endorsing post-lapsarian teachings.
b.Explicitly defending post-lapsarian teachings that she was a part of.
c.Her contemporaries including her in their post-lapsarian understandings.

For example, on the last point "c," S. N. Haskell, to demonstrate that "we" believed that Christ took the nature of Adam after the fall read from the Desire of Ages, and stated:

Quote:
This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness.

Ellen White was aware of what S. N. Haskell wrote.

It's hard to conceive how all of EGW's contemporaries could be post-lapsarian, and believe that EGW was a post-lapsarian, quote her with her knowledge to establish this point, while in reality she was believing something completely different, without anyone knowing it, while endorsing people whole would be in reality holding a different view than hers.

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Tom] #105047
11/23/08 03:53 PM
11/23/08 03:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
“No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:15)

Tom, does this passage describe your walk in the Lord? That is, do you understand everything as clearly as Jesus did while He was here?

Re: Is it possible to obey God before understanding His reasons for giving the command? [Re: Mountain Man] #105107
11/25/08 01:20 AM
11/25/08 01:20 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The passage describes Jesus' intent for His followers. He desires that we be not servants, but friends. Why? Because He has told us about His Father.

The passage is not specifically describing my experience. It's as applicable to you or me or anyone else who chooses to respond to Jesus' wishes.

Page 4 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 35 36

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/05/24 02:15 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!