HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,661
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (daylily, ProdigalOne, dedication, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106399
12/23/08 12:39 AM
12/23/08 12:39 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
if the way you are looking things were correct, then Christ's death would have been required in order for God to offer Lucifer pardon.

There are two possibilities to consider:

1) Angelic salvation is effected in a different way than human salvation.
2) Jesus planned to die to offer Lucifer pardon.

it sounds as if God could have established things in such a way that sin would not result in death.

Maxwell says He could have.

This death isn't something God "establishes," (it's not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God) but the result of the what the sinner himself has chosen to do, separating himself from God, who is "the fountain of life."

Did Jesus experience this death? If He did, how did He manage to do that, since He did not sin?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: asygo] #106401
12/23/08 12:53 AM
12/23/08 12:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There are two possibilities to consider:

1) Angelic salvation is effected in a different way than human salvation.

2) Jesus planned to die to offer Lucifer pardon.

Regarding 1), we're told what the conditions were for Lucifer's being pardoned, which were repentance and submission. Had he complied, he not only would have been forgiven, but restored to his original position, such is the graciousness of God.

Regarding 2), there's no hint of this.

Quote:
T:It sounds as if God could have established things in such a way that sin would not result in death.

A:Maxwell says He could have.

I'm aware of a statement where he talks about God's setting up prisons where the wicked could spend eternity, but I understand him to be giving this not as an argument that God could have established things in a way where sin would not result in death, but as to why God was not willing to prolong death for all eternity. I'm not aware of any statement of Maxwell's where he says God could have established things so that sin would not result in death.

Sin would cause death immediately, if not for God's intervention. FW 21 speaks to this. Also DA 764.

Quote:
T:This death isn't something God "establishes," (it's not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God) but the result of the what the sinner himself has chosen to do, separating himself from God, who is "the fountain of life."

A:Did Jesus experience this death? If He did, how did He manage to do that, since He did not sin?

Yes, He experienced it(or "tasted" it, as per Heb. 2:9). As to how He could experience death without having sinned, Isa. 53, 2 Cor. 5:21, John 1:29, Gal. 4:4,5 speak to this, to name just a few.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106404
12/23/08 02:34 AM
12/23/08 02:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Regarding 1), we're told what the conditions were for Lucifer's being pardoned, which were repentance and submission. Had he complied, he not only would have been forgiven, but restored to his original position, such is the graciousness of God.

Is this any different than what is required of man? If repentance and submission are good enough for Satan, wouldn't it have been good enough for Adam?

An argument from ignorance is always weak. Just because we don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. God doesn't have to tell us all there is to know, since we have a hard enough time with the basics.

I'm aware of a statement where he talks about God's setting up prisons where the wicked could spend eternity, but I understand him to be giving this not as an argument that God could have established things in a way where sin would not result in death, but as to why God was not willing to prolong death for all eternity.

The missing piece is God's willingness, not His ability. That means God could.

Sin would cause death immediately, if not for God's intervention. FW 21 speaks to this. Also DA 764.

If God's intervention keeps sin from immediately killing us, it can be said that the lack of God's intervention is what kills sinners eventually.

Quote:
T:This death isn't something God "establishes," (it's not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God) but the result of the what the sinner himself has chosen to do, separating himself from God, who is "the fountain of life."

A:Did Jesus experience this death? If He did, how did He manage to do that, since He did not sin?

Yes, He experienced it(or "tasted" it, as per Heb. 2:9). As to how He could experience death without having sinned, Isa. 53, 2 Cor. 5:21, John 1:29, Gal. 4:4,5 speak to this, to name just a few.

I don't see how these verses explain that Jesus died as a result of the what He Himself has chosen to do. Since He didn't "do" sin, something else must have killed Him.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: asygo] #106409
12/23/08 03:21 AM
12/23/08 03:21 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Regarding 1), we're told what the conditions were for Lucifer's being pardoned, which were repentance and submission. Had he complied, he not only would have been forgiven, but restored to his original position, such is the graciousness of God.

A:Is this any different than what is required of man?

I don't think so. Do you agree?

Quote:
If repentance and submission are good enough for Satan, wouldn't it have been good enough for Adam?

I believe so.

Quote:

An argument from ignorance is always weak. Just because we don't know it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. God doesn't have to tell us all there is to know, since we have a hard enough time with the basics.

Ignorance? I take it you mean from silence? Well, given in what detail Ellen White went to in describing the fall of Lucifer, the onus would certainly be on one wishing to add to what she wrote.[/quote]

Quote:
T:I'm aware of a statement where he talks about God's setting up prisons where the wicked could spend eternity, but I understand him to be giving this not as an argument that God could have established things in a way where sin would not result in death, but as to why God was not willing to prolong death for all eternity.

A:The missing piece is God's willingness, not His ability. That means God could.

The point isn't that God isn't able to prolong death as long as He wishes. The principle that death is the inevitable result of sin would still be true in this case.

Quote:
T:Sin would cause death immediately, if not for God's intervention. FW 21 speaks to this. Also DA 764.

A:If God's intervention keeps sin from immediately killing us, it can be said that the lack of God's intervention is what kills sinners eventually.

That would be a rather contorted way of looking at it.

Quote:
T:Yes, He experienced it(or "tasted" it, as per Heb. 2:9). As to how He could experience death without having sinned, Isa. 53, 2 Cor. 5:21, John 1:29, Gal. 4:4,5 speak to this, to name just a few.

A:I don't see how these verses explain that Jesus died as a result of the what He Himself has chosen to do.

You don't see Isa. 53 as explaining that Jesus died as a result of what He Himself chose to do?

Quote:
Since He didn't "do" sin, something else must have killed Him.

Certainly Christ did not die because He "did" sin. But neither Isa. 53, nor the other verses cited suggest this

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106410
12/23/08 04:42 AM
12/23/08 04:42 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:Yes, He experienced it(or "tasted" it, as per Heb. 2:9). As to how He could experience death without having sinned, Isa. 53, 2 Cor. 5:21, John 1:29, Gal. 4:4,5 speak to this, to name just a few.

A:I don't see how these verses explain that Jesus died as a result of the what He Himself has chosen to do.

You don't see Isa. 53 as explaining that Jesus died as a result of what He Himself chose to do?

Quote:
Since He didn't "do" sin, something else must have killed Him.

Certainly Christ did not die because He "did" sin. But neither Isa. 53, nor the other verses cited suggest this

Exactly my point. Death - the death that sin causes - can be caused by other things.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: asygo] #106412
12/23/08 07:32 AM
12/23/08 07:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Certainly Christ did not die because He "did" sin. But neither Isa. 53, nor the other verses cited suggest this

A:Exactly my point. Death - the death that sin causes - can be caused by other things.

It seems to me that sin caused the death of Christ, but it wasn't His sin. When you say that the death which sin causes can be caused by other things, what do you have in mind?

My understanding is that sin and death are inextricably linked together; you don't get one without the other. For example, "the sting of death is sin," "sin, when it is finished, brings for death," "the inevitable result of sin is death," to name a few.

A thought from Waggoner:

Quote:
Sin has death wrapped up in it. Without sin death would be impossible, for "the sting of death is sin." (The Glad Tidings)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106424
12/23/08 07:01 PM
12/23/08 07:01 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:
T:Certainly Christ did not die because He "did" sin. But neither Isa. 53, nor the other verses cited suggest this

A:Exactly my point. Death - the death that sin causes - can be caused by other things.

It seems to me that sin caused the death of Christ, but it wasn't His sin. When you say that the death which sin causes can be caused by other things, what do you have in mind?

The way I see it usually happens, death is simply a lack of life. That's why sin, which separates us from the Source of life, causes death. And that separation happens because sin so damages our character, not just our thoughts and actions, that we are unable to live with God. So far so good, I trust.

If this is the ONLY way that death happens, how can Jesus go through this, since His character was ever holy? How did He manage to get separated from God? Moreover, how can MY sin or YOUR sin or any other third party's sin cause Jesus to suffer "the result of the what the sinner himself has chosen to do"?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106425
12/23/08 07:24 PM
12/23/08 07:24 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Quote:

Ignorance? I take it you mean from silence? Well, given in what detail Ellen White went to in describing the fall of Lucifer, the onus would certainly be on one wishing to add to what she wrote.

Those fallacies are often used interchangeably, but I prefer "ignorance" since it is difficult to know for certain if someone has been completely silent on a particular topic, especially one as prolific as EGW. (See http://www.logicalfallacies.info/argumentfromignorance.html)

In any case, it is poor logic to make any conclusion based on what one does not know. This reminds me of another discussion where people where saying that black holes are not what physicists think they are, even though they don't know what physicists think they are, because that's not how God works.

As for the detail EGW went into in describing Satan's fall, that still does not give us license to conclude anything about what she did not describe. God went into great detail in His instructions regarding the sanctuary in Exodus, but there was no mention there of the timing of Christ's crucifixion.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: asygo] #106427
12/23/08 07:55 PM
12/23/08 07:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Well, we do know what the conditions for pardon were: repentance and submission. We also know that Christ did not have to die in order for God to offer Lucifer pardon. This is what I've been asserting, and there's no necessity of depending on an argument from silence, since these these things are known. If you wish to assert that Christ would have died, had Lucifer accepted the pardon, then *that* would be an argument from silence.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #10 - Atonement at the CROSS [Re: Tom] #106441
12/24/08 01:53 AM
12/24/08 01:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
We also know that Christ did not have to die in order for God to offer Lucifer pardon. This is what I've been asserting, and there's no necessity of depending on an argument from silence, since these these things are known.

How do you know that? Do you have a quote that positively makes this assertion? I'd like to see it, because that would settle this point, among others.

If you wish to assert that Christ would have died, had Lucifer accepted the pardon, then *that* would be an argument from silence.

I do not wish to make that assertion at this time. But if I ever do, you can be sure its foundation will be more substantial than prefacing it with, "We all know...." because we don't all know.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!