HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 100 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109976
03/16/09 03:17 PM
03/16/09 03:17 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Why do you think God is capable of doing the things you ascribe to Him?

As stated repeatedly - I am not the one "ascribing" in GC 672-673 -- I am the one reading and the one posting.

It is as if you get a letter from the mail man and then say to him "why would you write such a letter to me".

It simply makes no sense. I quote the pages of that chapter in DA and now also in EW and you ask "why would you see it, write it, think of it... that way"

Simply saying "this is what the text says," is not a sufficient answer

How so?

(Here is where you need to actually "show" that I have said or written something not IN the chapter).

, as others read the text differently than you do.

I get that from the Mormons, JW's and Catholics all the time. The key is to actually go to "the text" and make a point.

in Christ,

Bob

Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109977
03/16/09 03:19 PM
03/16/09 03:19 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

There's something in your experience or perception of things which allows you to believe it's possible that God will burn people alive for hours or days at a time

Indeed - finding those "details" in the text itself is part of my experience ( as it turns out).

Surely you are not asking for me to quote the text "again"??

(I am wondering at this point -- if anyone besides me notices that in my responses I am not lured into "straying very far" from the text itself?)

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/16/09 03:20 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109978
03/16/09 03:22 PM
03/16/09 03:22 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

T:Regarding your questions, you have a viewpoint which is rather unusual. If it were simply a matter of reading the text, and coming to the conclusions you have, everyone would agree with you, right? Instead, you stand alone, the only one on this entire forum, as far as I can tell, who is able to come to the conclusions you have regarding Ellen White's teachings here.

B:Huh??

What did I miss?

I was about to say that you and TeresaQ are the only ones on this forum that appear to hold to that "GC 672-673 details not actually true" position.

How can our view of the basic facts be soooo different??

What am I missing?

You're missing the specific aspect of your viewpoint that I'm dealing with, which is your idea that
1. God will engulf the wicked in flames,
2. supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer longer,
3. in order to make them pay (the full punishment owed?) for their sins

Ok I guess this is where I quote GC 673 and EW 294 "again" and point out that what is written there is not at all "my idea".

===============================================================================

Great Controversy - 673

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

EW 294

The Second Death

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but
also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. The broken, uneven surface of the earth now looked like a level, extensive plain.

=======================================================

Surely you youself can admit to "needing to eisegete" the text in order to get "these details" not to be actually true -- so that you can get your ideas so "survive it".

You ask if "1. God will engulf the wicked in flames,"

I answer:

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething

I can do this with each of your 3 points above - but it seems a bit obvious.

What am I missing?

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/16/09 03:29 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109979
03/16/09 03:34 PM
03/16/09 03:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No matter how many times you quote this, it still doesn't say that God will engulf the wicked in flames, supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer longer, in order to make them pay for their sins. Simply re-quoting it won't change what it says.

Let's consider this one:

Quote:
I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

You seem to be interpreting this literally. But does that make sense? What does the "least particle for it to prey upon" refer to? This can't simply be human flesh, because without brain activity, the person couldn't feel pain, and hence couldn't suffer, which is, in your view, the purpose of the fire. So the fire would have to be consuming the feet and then the legs and moving its way upward. Of course, it's hard to see how the person could still be alive once his heart was burned up, as nothing is pumping oxygen anymore. Plus the person needs to breath, so the lungs are necessary. So at least a stump is necessary in order for the person to live, unless you think the person is living without needing a heart to pump blood or lungs to breath with.

So what does "the least particle" refer to?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109980
03/16/09 03:38 PM
03/16/09 03:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I don't understand that response. I see nothing in my post to indicate anger of any kind -- possibly a little humor - but no anger.

My "err... umm.." is an indicator to convey that I am a bit hesitant about stating the obvious.

All your posts strike me as angry. You could try to get other people's opinions on this. I'm glad from your response that you seem not to actually be angry. I apologize if I'm the one in error here in misreading your tone.

I think "err... umm.." is totally out of place in discussions like this. If you think something is obvious, just say something like, "It's obvious to me that ...."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Bobryan] #109981
03/16/09 03:39 PM
03/16/09 03:39 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

The text does not say the wicked pay for their sins by being burned alive for many days or many hours. You are inferring this.

That Ellen White could have such an idea doesn't square with the facts. It doesn't fit with what she wrote ...

Well... let's SEE if the readers find that what is explicitly stated IN the text can so easily be spun around to "inference" instead of actual "text".

1. Does the reader find THIS quote?
"Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds."

2.Does the reader find a link between punishment, time and suffering alive in the flames - in THIS quote?

"His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on."

3. How many times does the reader find the words "punished" or "punishment" here?
"Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on."

4. Does the reader find any link at all between the terms used "punishment" and the "full demands of the law being met" in THIS quote?

"The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; "

5. Does the reader find "any hint at all" of suffering in this quote that is being done IN the flames - in the fire itself?

"I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}"

And finally - perhaps easiest of all - does the reader find that the quotes above are found IN the text below -- or are they simply made up inferences by me?

===============================================================================

Great Controversy - 673

Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething 673

lake of fire. It is the time of the judgement and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished “according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit.

His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

EW 294

The Second Death

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together.

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but
also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Said the angel, "Satan is the root, his children are the branches. They are now consumed root and branch. They have died an everlasting death. They are never to have a resurrection, and God will have a clean universe." I then looked and saw the fire which had consumed the wicked, burning up the rubbish and purifying the earth. Again I looked and saw the earth purified. There was not a single sign of the curse. The broken, uneven surface of the earth now looked like a level, extensive plain.

=======================================================

Surely you youself can admit to "needing to eisegete" the text in order to get "these details" not to be actually true -- so that you can get your ideas so "survive it".

in Christ,

Bob [/quote]

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/16/09 03:41 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109982
03/16/09 03:42 PM
03/16/09 03:42 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA

I think "err... umm.." is totally out of place in discussions like this. If you think something is obvious, just say something like, "It's obvious to me that ...."

I will do my best.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109983
03/16/09 03:46 PM
03/16/09 03:46 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
No matter how many times you quote this, it still doesn't say that God will engulf the wicked in flames, supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer longer, in order to make them pay for their sins. Simply re-quoting it won't change what it says.

Let's consider this one:

Quote:

You seem to be interpreting this literally.

I simply accept it as written.

"Many days" means -- "many days"

"consuming" means -- "consuming"

"suffer" means -- "suffer".

"fire" means -- "fire"

Since I have no OTHER things I map this too - I am content to merely accept it as it is written.

But does that make sense?

It makes sense if one is to argue "I do not spin the text at all - I just accept what it says -- what is written".

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/16/09 03:47 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109985
03/16/09 03:54 PM
03/16/09 03:54 PM
B
Bobryan  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2015
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bob

Let's say for example I ask a million questions about day 4 of Creation week when God creates the Sun and moon.

Does that change the fact that on day 4 God created the Sun and the moon?

Can I put off ACCEPTING the blazingly simple statement of Genesis 1 - until I as God can make my OWN Sun and moon in a single day and finally know all about how to do it????

It seems that scripture starts us off on PAGE ONE with the idea that we believe God EVEN when the subject has elements beyond our present grasp.

Let's consider this one:

Quote:

1. This can't simply be human flesh, because without brain activity, the person couldn't feel pain, and hence couldn't suffer, which is, in your view, the purpose of the fire.

The word suffer is in the text - it is not being "inserted" by me.

So the fire would have to be consuming the feet and then the legs and moving its way upward.

The zillion question model is 'noted'.

Of course, it's hard to see how the person could still be alive once his heart was burned up, as nothing is pumping oxygen anymore.

If you are trying to hint that there is something "supernatural" going on in what God is doing here so as to make THIS death -- the SECOND death - so very different from the FIRST death. Then point made! I agree completely -- manufactured. (A term Ellen White uses in DA 305 ).

If you just "practicing" the zillion questions model -- then you are stopping short of getting some real benefit from that exercise.

So what does "the least particle" refer to?

It refers to the smallest part of the person being left and clearly shows the supernatural element so central to this event.

in Christ,

Bob

Last edited by Bobryan; 03/16/09 04:01 PM.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Tom] #109988
03/16/09 04:31 PM
03/16/09 04:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
T:Why do you think God is capable of doing the things you ascribe to Him?

B:As stated repeatedly - I am not the one "ascribing" in GC 672-673 -- I am the one reading and the one posting.

As I've pointed out, others read the passage differently than you do. Indeed, *everybody* on this forum reads it differently than you do. You are inferring things, and ascribing things, just like everybody else.

There's nothing wrong with this, of course. But it's good to be aware of the reality of what one is doing.

Quote:
It is as if you get a letter from the mail man and then say to him "why would you write such a letter to me".

It simply makes no sense. I quote the pages of that chapter in DA and now also in EW and you ask "why would you see it, write it, think of it... that way"

Bob, everybody else sees something different in this text than you do. So there's no question it's possible to interpret it differently than you do, since that's being done.

Quote:
T:Simply saying "this is what the text says," is not a sufficient answer.

B:How so?

For the reasons pointed out, in detail.

Quote:

(Here is where you need to actually "show" that I have said or written something not IN the chapter).

This has also been done. Specifically, your idea that God will burn the wicked alive with literal fire, supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer more. This isn't in the text.

Quote:
T:, as others read the text differently than you do.

B:I get that from the Mormons, JW's and Catholics all the time. The key is to actually go to "the text" and make a point.

But these are people on this forum, SDA's.

I'd still like to know why you think God is capable of burning people alive to make them suffer. Could you do this to your loved ones? Or even your enemies? Do you think God is made of "sterner stuff" than you?

Quote:
T:There's something in your experience or perception of things which allows you to believe it's possible that God will burn people alive for hours or days at a time.

B:Indeed - finding those "details" in the text itself is part of my experience ( as it turns out).

Surely you are not asking for me to quote the text "again"??

(I am wondering at this point -- if anyone besides me notices that in my responses I am not lured into "straying very far" from the text itself?)

I think, on the contrary, you have been consistently straying away from answer this question. We've had many posts discussing the text. There's no reason why we can't have other posts discussing other things as well, such as God's character.

You wouldn't deny that one's perception of God's character is important, would you? That it impacts how we perceive things? Including Scripture and the SOP?

You have a concept of God's character that very few Adventists have. I'm interested in where you formulated it from.

Quote:
T:You're missing the specific aspect of your viewpoint that I'm dealing with, which is your idea that
1. God will engulf the wicked in flames,
2. supernaturally keeping them alive so they can suffer longer,
3. in order to make them pay (the full punishment owed?) for their sins.

B:Ok I guess this is where I quote GC 673 and EW 294 "again" and point out that what is written there is not at all "my idea".

But 1, 2, and 3 are nowhere to be found in these texts. Also, this isn't all she wrote on the subject.

You have a unique view on these texts, and refuse to consider other things she wrote about the subject, even though this is her expressed wish. You have no sense of principles in your explanations of what happens, only "details."

How are the principles of "love, mercy, and kindness," employed, which the SOP says God employs in the judgment?

How is it that she writes that the death of the wicked is not due to an arbitrary (or "manufactured," to use your word) act of power on the part of God?

How is that the she writes that had God "left" Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would have perished, but He didn't do that because it would have appeared to onlookers to have been something other than "the inevitable result of sin"?

She wrote all these things. They are "in the text." Why doesn't your view account for these things?

How is it that the same thing which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked?

Page 55 of 100 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!