HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,661
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, dedication, daylily, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Green Cochoa] #112004
04/19/09 07:23 PM
04/19/09 07:23 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Of all the errors in translation which one might consider, errors in number translations are the least excusable. Numbers are numbers, and are easy to translate accurately. Failure in accuracy here is indicative of an attitude that the details do not matter, and casts shadows upon the rest of the translation.

The following table lists differences in number translations for some New Testament texts. You will see each text with the KJV and NIV beside each other, and below them in the same color block, my comments about the differences.

You will also see that each text is a link. Those links go to BlueLetterBible.org, and are for the text in question, so that you may look up and verify any of the facts presented here. I will try to provide these links throughout this topic. Blue Letter Bible also has online commentaries and each text is linked to the original languages, which you can choose to view, and each word in every verse is linked to a lexicon of definitions. So, you are able to further study the differences as much as you choose.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. (Matthew 5:18, KJV)I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:18, NIV)
But I guess the numbers just disappeared!
What numbers? I cant see any in either version? Are there supposed to be numbers in this verse?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? (Matthew 6:27, KJV)Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life [fn2]? Footnote: Or single cubit to his height (Matthew 6:27, NIV)
The NIV here meddles with the text, and turns Jesus' statement into one that can be countered. It may be possible to live longer through various means, especially when we speak of a mere "hour." It is not possible, however, to grow taller by worrying.
Not if you consider that A) You do not know that something you do will prolong your life as you cannot know when you would die if you did not do the action, B) Worrying is more likely to decrease your life span.
Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. (Matthew 13:33, KJV)He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount [fn2] of flour until it worked all through the dough.” Footnote: Greek three satas (probably about 1/2 bushel or 22 liters) (Matthew 13:33, NIV)
Per the NIV rendering, the number must not matter. Do the translators believe that Christ's exact words are unimportant? Or perhaps just the numbers are not?
And yet if you include the footnote information, you get to understand the text better through the NIV than you would through the KJV. Unless of course you happen to be among the lucky few who know that three first century measures equals 22 litres.
He answered and said unto them, Give ye them to eat. And they say unto him, Shall we go and buy two hundred pennyworth of bread, and give them to eat? (Mark 6:37, KJV)But he answered, “You give them something to eat.” They said to him, “That would take eight months of a man's wages [fn5]! Are we to go and spend that much on bread and give it to them to eat?” Footnote: Greek take two hundred denarii (Mark 6:37, NIV)
Again, the numbers have been altered. Considering that numbers, of all words, are the easiest things to translate, and do not change meaning from one language to another, this seems inexcusable.
And again, they have changed numbers for information. KJV tells us the amount of coin, NIV tells us the relative worth and gives coin numbers in the margins.
And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him. (Mark 11:4, KJV)They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, (Mark 11:4, NIV)
More "details" are dropped here.
You mean that two ways meet at this particular stretch of street?
And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty. (Luke 16:6, KJV)” ‘Eight hundred gallons [fn1] of olive oil,’ he replied. “The manager told him, ‘Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred.’ Footnote: Greek one hundred batous (probably about 3 kiloliters) (Luke 16:6, NIV)
Here we see completely different numbers again. The NIV footnote admits the numbers were changed from the Greek. Why didn't they translate accurately, and put the "eight hundred gallons" explanation in the footnote instead? Apparently, numbers aren't that important to them, or else they feel above scripture, and can adjust the original however they wish.
Because as you should know, when you translate your job is to transfer the meaning of the sentence from one language to another language. As you notice in the NIV footnote, the KJV has also translated the measure from the original "batou" into the victorian english "measure". Back then using "measure" was the equivalent of using "gallon" today.
Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore. (Luke 16:7, KJV)“Then he asked the second, ‘And how much do you owe?’ “ ‘A thousand bushels [fn2] of wheat,’ he replied. “He told him, ‘Take your bill and make it eight hundred.’ Footnote: Greek one hundred korous (probably about 35 kiloliters) (Luke 16:7, NIV)
Again, the NIV admits changing the numbers: This time, by a factor of 10.
And had the translators been Canadian or another englishspeaking country that uses the metric system, they would have changed the numbers by a factor of 35, for the same reasons as above.
And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs. (Luke 24:13, KJV)Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles [fn1] from Jerusalem. Footnote: Greek sixty stadia (about 11 kilometers) (Luke 24:13, NIV)
Once again, the NIV trades positions of what should be in the footnote (the explanation) and what should be in the text (the translation). By so doing, the translators set themselves up as part authors of the Bible.
And again they are in the good company of the KJV translators who changed the original "sixty stadia" into the English "threescore furlong". Is even threescore equal to 60? How many would know?
And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (John 2:6, KJV)Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons. [fn1] Footnote: Greek two to three metretes (probably about 75 to 115 liters) (John 2:6, NIV)
Here we see the numbers adjusted by a factor of ten again.
Because as usual, everyone today knows what a firkin is. Using words that noone uses would not be translation, would it?
Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little. (John 6:7, KJV)Philip answered him, “Eight months' wages [fn1] would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!” Footnote: Greek two hundred denarii (John 6:7, NIV)
While I do not especially like the use of "pennyworth" in the KJV here, at least the KJV correctly translated the numbers. The NIV has completely changed the text here!
Only if a 17th century pennyworth is comparable to a greek denarii. If it is not, it would be a poor translation.
Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off: (John 11:18, KJV)Bethany was less than two miles [fn1] from Jerusalem, Footnote: Greek fifteen stadia (about 3 kilometers) (John 11:18, NIV)
Not only has the NIV changed the numbers, but also part of the sense is lost here.
Do you loose the sence of closeness if the word "nigh" is exchanged to "2 miles"? I at least get increased sence of distance when "nigh; fifteen furlongs" changes to "3 kilometers".
And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. (John 19:39, KJV)He was accompanied by Nicodemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. [fn4] Footnote: Greek a hundred litrai (about 34 kilograms) (John 19:39, NIV)
The KJV here again attaches a questionable English unit to the number, but the number itself is accurately retained--not so with the NIV.
So changing a questionable unit attached to a correct number into a clear and well understood unit with an equally correct number although in a different measure decreases clarity?
And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes. (John 21:8, KJV)The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards. [fn2] Footnote: Greek about two hundred cubits (about 90 meters) (John 21:8, NIV)
The NIV cuts the number in half, and translates the actual Greek only in the footnote.
They translate in the text and transcribe in the footnotes. There is a difference between the two.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

I did not have the option aviable to turn on HTML, maybe that is reserved for members with higher participation levels?

The one serious change in my opinion is the first revelation passage. Most of the examples have to do with obsolete measurement units, where the reader gets more understanding out of the text when he or she knows what the text says than they would do when reading a "correct" number attached to a unit that could aswell be written in chinese.

Last edited by Daryl Fawcett; 04/19/09 07:35 PM. Reason: Edited to enable HTML in this post.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Green Cochoa] #112007
04/19/09 07:57 PM
04/19/09 07:57 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Your two first examples are inconsequent. In your first comment on the King fasting you notice that to fast is to deliberately abstain from food. But in the comment on Jesus hungry audience you complain that the translators did not use the word "fast" to describe an involontary abstination from food. So which is it? Is fasting about volontarily abstaining from food or is fasting abstination from food wether volontary or not?

Then your comment gets thorrougly absurd:
"And if I send them away fasting to their own houses, they will faint by the way: for divers of them came from far. (Mark 8:3, KJV)"
If I send them home hungry, they will collapse on the way, because some of them have come a long distance.” (Mark 8:3, NIV)
Again, being "hungry" versus "fasting" are two different things. One is a voluntary act, associated with worship, while the other is involuntary. "

Why is this absurd? Because if the volontary act associated with worship is intended, why does Jesus act to make sure they do not walk home fasting by performing a food miracle? Does Jesus here want to prevent the crowd from worshiping through fasting by offering them the temptation of loads upon loads of food? Here the NIV translators clearly thought things through more than you did Greenie.

With the Cornelius example you get the "what" right but the "why" wrong. The issue in this example is not wether he prayed as the KJV also states this.

In acts 27, NIV does avoid "fast", but per your previous insistance that fasting is a volontary abstinence of food associated with worship, they would be correct in doing so. If you are a crewman on a boat that is enduring a two week long storm at the high seas, if you are not eating for that entire period it is not for a volontary choise. You would rather need all your strenght to do your job under such pressing conditions.

In first corintians 7 you acctually found an example that illustrates what you are trying to show. thanks

The last examples may and may not be relevant...

I would just add that according to the Strongs information on the word used in the last examples, the meaning is either a religious fast or a fast caused by lack or want of food. Thus, the Strongs concordance does gainsay your distinction that much of your argument hinges upon.

Last edited by västergötland; 04/19/09 08:03 PM.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Green Cochoa] #112008
04/19/09 08:16 PM
04/19/09 08:16 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Teresa,

The devil succeeds if he can mix a small amount of doubt or error with a larger amount of truth, and get people to accept the whole wad. The devil also succeeds in supplanting the credibility of the Bible as a whole if he can introduce enough error to give foothold to scoffers who see that every Bible is different, and no Bible is perfect.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
The scoffers would have less room to move if someone had not given them the thought that it is possible for a book that has been copied for hand for thousands of years to be "perfect". When you put it like that you give the impression that there must not be even any scribal errors within the corpus of TR manuscripts.

Galatians 2

Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: vastergotland] #112012
04/19/09 08:37 PM
04/19/09 08:37 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
You brought up an interesting question in my mind.

Is there such a thing as a perfect Bible?

I know there is a one and only perfect God, but is there a perfect Bible?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Daryl] #112013
04/19/09 08:45 PM
04/19/09 08:45 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
In my view, much of Greenies points require belief in text inspiration to be relevant. I thought we as adventists held the view that the author is inspired, not the text itself. Otherwise it would be quite unreasonable to point at sentences saying "we traveled so and so far" and complain that the unit of measure was updated..

Galatians 2

Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: vastergotland] #112015
04/19/09 08:49 PM
04/19/09 08:49 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It is also my understanding that the Bible words were thought inspired and not dictated word for word to the original Bible writers, however, we need to be careful of translations that results in an unbiblically based doctrine, as in the example of a misplaced comma in relation to the one about the thief on the cross and Paradise.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Daryl] #112017
04/19/09 09:17 PM
04/19/09 09:17 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
You brought up an interesting question in my mind.

Is there such a thing as a perfect Bible?

I know there is a one and only perfect God, but is there a perfect Bible?

i wouldnt think there could ever be a perfect translation. i do understand some of green cochoas points but others dont seem that important. in fact they even make the niv look more attractive than the kjv, and im not an niv fan.

all translations have serious errors. being able to point them out and prove why they are errors seems more important than trying to prove which bible might be better.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Green Cochoa] #112019
04/19/09 09:28 PM
04/19/09 09:28 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
On the sabbath examples:

If you look at the hebrew texts as found at the blueletter bible, there is no "the" in the examples you cite. Though I confess I am not knowledgeable enough to say wether there are gramatical reasons there should be a "the" in translation or not.

For leviticus 23:39 where you point out that NIV translates the word rest while KJV translates it sabbath. I would point out that the word form occurs 11 times in the bible, and KJV translates it rest 8 times. Thus it seems clear that it is not at all unreasonable to do as NIV did. The word also occurs in 23:24, thus you found all three examples of KJV translating it "sabbath" rather than rest.

Regarding Isaiah 58:13, I would never have guessed that "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, " meant "not trample upon the Sabbath, meaning disrespect the Sabbath". In my mind it makes much more sence to put together the two halves of the sentence as NIV does making the text mean "dont walk around doing your own buisness".

Regarding your comments on Lammentations, I think you are just ignoring the broader context there. There is no reason why your interpretation would be more likely in the context of the entire poem.

In the first Luke example, the story tells of a possessed man. Did this encounter happen on a sabbath or during several continuous sabbaths?

In your secomd Luke example, there indeed is a difference between "a sabbath" and "the sabbath". Namely this, a sabbath is one unspecified sabbath, just one out of the 150 or more sabbaths of Jesus public ministry, while the sabbath is one specific sabbath. But since the text says nothing more on which of the many possible sabbaths it might have been...

Galatians 2

Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: Green Cochoa] #112022
04/19/09 10:00 PM
04/19/09 10:00 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
In the death examples, I fail to see the difference in meaning between the first set of examples. The versions are saying the same thing as far as I can understand it. "For in death" seems to me to mean "for the dead". If it as you suggest mean that death has no memory, Id go with the NIV rather than suggest that death itself could possibly have a conciousness of any kind.

For psalm 115, the answer to your question is found in the following verse which says: Psa 115:18
KJV But we will bless the LORD from this time forth and for evermore. Praise the LORD.
NIV it is we who extol the Lord, both now and forevermore. Praise the Lord.

Generally, I think most of your examples here are more illustrations on the "sin" of prooftexting than anything else. Context equals out most of your examples. Then there are a few where your argument seems to be "I made up my mind about this and therefore anything that does not support it must be wrong".

Galatians 2

Re: The Quality of the NIV Bible Translation as Compared to the KJV [Re: vastergotland] #112023
04/19/09 10:08 PM
04/19/09 10:08 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Vaster,

I will fully agree that many of the examples I bring up are trivial. The problem is not so much that there is only a small difference between the texts in the various places, it is the vast numbers of such differences, with some of them being rather significant of themselves, while others only become significant when taken as a group with other like texts.

However, I haven't pulled out the big guns yet. There are a few MAJOR issues coming up.

Thanks for your participation!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!