HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,663
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Daryl, daylily, ProdigalOne, 3 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113259
05/17/09 08:05 PM
05/17/09 08:05 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
The Scriptures say "love is the fulfilling of the law" so "intertwined" looks like a good word to me. We could say the law is a written expression of love.

like two branches from the same root? i understand the way the scripture states it makes it look like two different concepts (?) but is it? how about love is "living" the law? isnt that how Jesus fulfilled the law? He lived it by doing nothing but acts of love, or said better, lived for God and His fellowman?

"thou shalt not steal" is a part of the law but isnt that really saying "thou shalt love your fellowman by not stealing from him"?

Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

if the law is loving God and our fellowman and we break one point of that law, then we have failed in loving.

yes, no, maybe?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113262
05/17/09 08:17 PM
05/17/09 08:17 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Colin

Righteous: what's it mean in and for us? Acquittal can't be the main point as then it'd be a misnomer, for much, much more than pardon is involved! Righteous means, as pointed out earlier, right doing: therefore, Rom 5:19 is not the same as Rom 5:18. Being made righteous is what justification by faith is, with the renewal of the mind of Rom 12:2. Acquittal is the legal basis of this spiritual experience, but that acquittal isn't an experience, it's a legal event, and that's a matter of grace alone, is it not, for Jesus is "the Saviour of the world".

Moreover, righteous also means both just & straight(ened): that means correction of the bent (the meaning of "iniquity", isn't it?) of sinfulness in human nature to the justified, righteous, straightened mind of Christ, which he was born with (whatever you wish to call his mind other than justified...! Justified without needing conversion, perhaps?) and we receive at conversion.

Righteous love is Christian love, and that starts as the attitude we have when we use the "mind of Christ": righteousness is attitude first, then thought, word and deed, and that attitude is the mindset submitted to Christ's Lordship by his Spirit dwelling in our mind - hence we have "the mind of Christ", just as he learned obedience by the things he suffered. The things he suffered is best interpreted as deprivation of sinful satisfaction, which his adopted, sinful flesh craved, but he learned obedience as he followed his Father by grace through faith.
Since it is possible that you are replying to my given definitions on righteousness with this part of your reply, I would just add that what I said is to the best of my understanding what anyone living 2000 years ago in the eastern parts of the roman empire (including the area around Jerusalem) would have understood when they heard the word.
What you give above is of course a valid definition, albeit one that carries 2000 years of theological thought in it. No wrong in that in my view, both definitions have their proper use. Mine more when trying to understand what the authors of the bible meant and yours more when talking about the subject today.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: vastergotland] #113270
05/17/09 10:13 PM
05/17/09 10:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Like two branches from the same root? I understand the way the scripture states it makes it look like two different concepts (?) but is it? How about love is "living" the law?

This sounds like "love is the fulfilling of the law."

Quote:
Isn't that how Jesus fulfilled the law? He lived it by doing nothing but acts of love, or said better, lived for God and His fellowman?

Of course. This is the point.

Quote:
"Thou shalt not steal" is a part of the law but isn't that really saying "Thou shalt love your fellowman by not stealing from him"?

That's a nice way of putting it. It could also be put in terms of respecting the property of another.

Quote:
Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
Jas 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Jas 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

If the law is loving God and our fellowman and we break one point of that law, then we have failed in loving.

Yes, no, maybe?

Yes! One could put things in terms of God's character as well. If we break one point of the law, we are guilty of acting contrary to God's character. Since God is love, this ties into what's been said previously about love.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113282
05/18/09 12:40 AM
05/18/09 12:40 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Colin
We've all been assuming what everyone means by "love", and that makes an ass of each of us.

Yes, Christian love is indeed agape in our hands...: I said that in my first post. "Love" is the most confusable Bible teaching that there is, at least in general conversation! Agape starts with God, and our use of it goes by his written Word and law, and his incarnated Son.

I follow your sequence, Dedication, and you're right. Maybe put in a bit more detail, from now on, to clarify between our natural love, Christian agape and agape from God, when referring to them...?

Thanks Colin.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113283
05/18/09 01:17 AM
05/18/09 01:17 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
I have no problem agreeing that God's love is perfect and the very opposite of sin -- but never OUR LOVE.

In looking back over this thread, I notice that Colin said that agape was the opposite of sin, and I said the same thing (independently, not having read what Colin wrote) using the same word "agape." Arnold agreed with what Colin and I wrote.

But, as I pointed out in a previous post -- agape love can also mean the "higher" Christian's love. Thus still OUR love, not God's LOVE as in the perfect, holy, righteous God.
Though it be the work of the Holy Spirit transforming the life.

Quote:
Quote:
If you agree that OUR LOVE must always be in subjection to God's commands and word, then I have no problem.

Nobody was speaking of "our love," were they?

Yes, I was. I was consistantly speaking of our love.

From the start I was looking at this as OUR view of love.

Quote:
Do you honestly think that anyone here would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

How would I know?
Though I've been a member for about four years, I hadn't read or posted for A LONG TIME.

There's still one poster that I'm not sure about -- the one that wrote "From there we went on to for instance quote the bulk of Pauls letter to the Galatians. Though I am not suprised that you, wishing to promote the primacy of the law, would not go there."

That appears as a pretty sarcastic reply to the thought that we must subject OUR love to God's word and law. The impression it gives me, is that he is against having God's word and law as a measuring rod of our love. Against OUR LOVE being in subjection to God's Word and Law.

Quote:
Quote:
And yes, love and God's law must be combined, one cannot stand without the other.

To say something like this means you conceive of God's law and His love as two separate and distinct things.

It's not seperate IN GOD.
But it DEFINITELY has been separated by humans.

Quote:
Yet His word tells us that "love is the fulfilling of the law." Given that love is the fulfilling of the law, I'm not seeing the sense of your statement. Obviously one cannot stand without the other, since they are intertwined, so it's not that part I find confusing, but the first part which says, "love and God's law must be combined."

I'm sure you must be well aware that the Christian world to a large measure has separated the two.

In fact it is rather rare to find them combined, especially when the subject of the Sabbath comes up.

On the one hand there multitudes who would nail God's commandments to the cross and just follow "their understanding of love".

And there's also the other side, that while upholding law people have lost the concept of love and turned God's commandments into something alien to love,
as you, yourself pointed out in a post previously,

Quote:
The problem is that this implies it's possible that they not be (combined). But this is an impossibility, unless by "love" you mean something which isn't love, because "love is the fulfilling of the law," which means that wherever is found, there you find the fulfilling of the law.

Now you go into the idealistic form.

Of course in the idealistic form love and law are perfectly combined.

But you see, I'm still looking at this FROM THE HUMAN ANGLE -- from people's imperfect love, their imperfect understanding of love, and their imperfect concepts of the law.

You seem to have the idealistic sense that it's either "perfect love" or "not love". However, in human love there are countless shades of grey.

And I'm afraid that none of us are perfect in this area.

And like Colin pointed out, "Love" is the most confusable Bible teaching that there is, at least in general conversation! "

Yes, our aim is to look to Christ and have that righteous, holy, love based on God's law of love -- His moral law of love which is the foundation of His government.

But here on earth both the concepts of the role of love and the role of God's commands have been badly mangled and misinterpreted and misused, and I'm not that confident that everyone automatically understands where the mangling ends and the true starts. I don't trust myself to know that. Thus yes, I will promote that OUR LOVE must always be in subjection to God's commands and word.

And yes, love and God's law must be combined, one cannot stand without the other.

Last edited by dedication; 05/18/09 01:38 AM. Reason: gramatical changes
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113287
05/18/09 03:15 AM
05/18/09 03:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
But, as I pointed out in a previous post -- agape love can also mean the "higher" Christian's love. Thus still OUR love, not God's LOVE as in the perfect, holy, righteous God.

Form Wiki:

Quote:
The term 'agape' is rarely used in ancient manuscripts, but was used by the early Christians to refer to the self-sacrificing love of God for humanity, which they were committed to reciprocating and practicing towards God and among one another (also see kenosis).

I've not seen "agape" used by Christians differently than as pointed out here.

Quote:

But nobody else was, which should have been clear. Even if you didn't understand this by the word "agape," this was immediately pointed out to you, by several people.

Quote:
T:Do you honestly think that anyone here would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

d:How would I know?

With a little thought, this should be clear it seems to me.

Quote:
Though I've been a member for about four years, I hadn't read or posted for A LONG TIME.

I don't see why that would matter. Do you know anybody at all (i.e. any Christians) who would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

Quote:
There's still one poster that I'm not sure about -- the one that wrote "From there we went on to for instance quote the bulk of Pauls letter to the Galatians. Though I am not suprised that you, wishing to promote the primacy of the law, would not go there."

That appears as a pretty sarcastic reply to the thought that we must subject OUR love to God's word and law. The impression it gives me, is that he is against having God's word and law as a measuring rod of our love. Against OUR LOVE being in subjection to God's Word and Law.

That sounds like Colin. He's just enigmatic (as opposed to sarcastic).

Regarding the rest of the post, this has been covered before. It's been pointed out repeatedly that God's love is what's being talked about, not human love.

Assuming that God's love is understood, am I correct in assuming that you're in agreement with the points I made?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113288
05/18/09 03:44 AM
05/18/09 03:44 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
how about love is "living" the law? isnt that how Jesus fulfilled the law? He lived it by doing nothing but acts of love, or said better, lived for God and His fellowman?

Yes, when "living the law" is done "living in godly love" --. when the two merge the Holy Spirit is leading.

Last edited by dedication; 05/18/09 03:44 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113289
05/18/09 05:31 AM
05/18/09 05:31 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
You are not really addressing my points only insisting that I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOUR MIND.

No, it was NOT AT ALL CLEAR that EVERYONE was just talking about God and His love, and not humanity and their love.
For example -- "love is the fulfilling of the law"
Are you saying that has nothing to do with our love?
I doubt that's what you meant.

-- actually there was a great mixing of the two. Which is good in it's own sense, when one understands both sides.

But to insist that "love is fulfilling the law" was "obviously all about God's love" and not about the person's love just isn't factual.

OF COURSE GOD'S LOVE IS PERFECT.
There is absolutely no question whatsoever that God's love is perfect, pure, noble, righteous, just, merciful, gracious, absolutely perfect, and every other word that is in our vocabulary that defines ultimate goodness and perfection.

There is absolutely no question what-so-ever concerning that truth.

Form Wiki:

Quote:
The term 'agape' is rarely used in ancient manuscripts, but was used by the early Christians to refer to the self-sacrificing love of God for humanity, which they were committed to reciprocating and practicing towards God and among one another (also see kenosis).

I didn't study Wiki--

But even Wiki, says agape love was love the Christians were to practice towards God and one another.
So it too, shows it's human counterpart.
It really isn't much different from my explanation.

The sources I've read don't limit "agape" to God.
They also speak of the "agape" love of the Christians.

Using the Bible as the source:

AGAPE: #G26

Matt 24:12 "And because iniquity shall abound, the love (AGAPE) of many shall wax cold.

John 13:35 "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love (AGAPE) one to another.

Romans 12:9 "Let love (AGAPE) be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

The above text is interesting -- it shows that people's (AGAPE) needed some upgrading and guidance, it was far from God's AGAPE love.

1 Cor.13:10 Love (AGAPE) works no ill to his neighbour: therefore love (AGAPE)is the fulfilling of the law.
This was an oft quoted text -- this text is definitely speaking OF OUR LOVE for our neighbor.
Love works no ill to his neighbor (no stealing, cheating, hating, lying, killing, coveting, adultery) it keeps the law.

Of course if it keeps the law, it isn't sinning.

1 Cor. 13 The word "charity" is AGAPE, and the whole chapter is defining how we are to AGAPE love. It's a whole list concerning how WE SHOULD LOVE.

1 Cor. 16:14 Let all your things be done with charity. (AGAPE)

1 Cor. 16:24 (Paul writes) My love(AGAPE) be with you all in Christ Jesus.

2 Cor. 2:5 "I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love (AGAPE) which I have more abundantly unto you.

2 Cor. 2:7-8 So rather you should forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
Wherefore I beseech you that you would confirm your love (AGAPE) toward him.

So again --
From the start I was looking at this as OUR view of love. It must always be fed from the law and the Word, and even then our concept of the totality of God's righteous love is far beyond our conception, even at it's best.

So my point was that we must always subject our love to God's word and God's law. Which I believe you agree with.

Quote:
But nobody else was, which should have been clear. Even if you didn't understand this by the word "agape," this was immediately pointed out to you, by several people.

So nobody else was talking about the human element?
Are you sure?
And if not
Why not?

Quote:
Do you know anybody at all (i.e. any Christians) who would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

The question surprises me!
But yes, I've met quite a few who feel that love is above the law. That God's commandments are to "rein in the sinners", who don't have the Holy Spirit, but once one is a Christian they no longer need the law, they are led by the Spirit and the promptings of love. I've even had people tell me they no longer really need the Bible, once they've found Jesus, and received the Holy Spirit.

I should start a thread on that -- and where that all comes from, maybe talking about it on this thread confuses things.

Quote:
Quote:
There's still one poster that I'm not sure about

No, it's not Colin, not at all.

Quote:
Regarding the rest of the post, this has been covered before. It's been pointed out repeatedly that God's love is what's being talked about, not human love.

I guess you don't want to talk about the human side of it then?

I guess I'm just wasting my time?

Quote:
Assuming that God's love is understood, am I correct in assuming that you're in agreement with the points I made?

You made many points,
If its that God's love is perfectly sinless, of course, there's never been a question on that point.

If it's our growth in agape love, no that is not sinless.

Last edited by dedication; 05/18/09 05:46 AM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113294
05/18/09 08:48 AM
05/18/09 08:48 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Quote:

Form Wiki:

Quote:

I've not seen "agape" used by Christians differently than as pointed out here.

Until you meet an exception, and there are accurate, true exceptions, like this thread; surprise!
Quote:
Quote:

No, don't dig your indignant hole any deeper, Tom! As I said yesterday, we've all assumed meanings here, for shorter or longer individual times, so some of us have made more of an ass of ourselves than others by assuming what's going on rather than stopping and asking. IMHO, the majority is more at fault, as Dedication was clearly going against the flow, and saying so, but no-one stopped to ask why: that's bordering on presumption, btw smirk . The exception, proving the agreed rule, arose, of additional, true applications for "agape" other than used by God...
Quote:
Quote:
T:Do you honestly think that anyone here would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

d:How would I know?

With a little thought, this should be clear it seems to me.

Well, help yourself, but even you were wrong in your analysis of whatever everyone was saying, as most of us here were wrong - assuming agape could only involve God, so...ask rather than think you know what Dedication is thinking - since this is no place for telepathy grin .
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see why that would matter. Do you know anybody at all (i.e. any Christians) who would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

Missing the point again, Tom: you can't think outside of logic, so you really need to ask questions!...She's unacquainted with what people here think, of course.
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not me: that was either Arnold or Thomas, and me thinks it was Arnold. It was also sarcastic, imho, as we know the history of law and grace in Galatians in our church..., and what comes from missing that gospel combination!

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113295
05/18/09 09:00 AM
05/18/09 09:00 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Stepping in at the top here, as only want to say, Amen.

Thanks, too, for filling in for me, at the end there; didn't read it all earlier.
Yes, growing in agape isn't wholly righteous, though the end product of Jesus' mediation with you and me, etc, is wholly righteous - characters of our own, from him, keeping in mind his Spirit..., so it gets better!...

Also, your point of discussing how we use agape is invaluable. It doesn't get discussed much at all, and such discussions rarely stay on topic! smile

Originally Posted By: dedication
You are not really addressing my points only insisting that I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOUR MIND.

No, it was NOT AT ALL CLEAR that EVERYONE was just talking about God and His love, and not humanity and their love.
For example -- "love is the fulfilling of the law"
Are you saying that has nothing to do with our love?
I doubt that's what you meant.

-- actually there was a great mixing of the two. Which is good in it's own sense, when one understands both sides.

But to insist that "love is fulfilling the law" was "obviously all about God's love" and not about the person's love just isn't factual.

OF COURSE GOD'S LOVE IS PERFECT.
There is absolutely no question whatsoever that God's love is perfect, pure, noble, righteous, just, merciful, gracious, absolutely perfect, and every other word that is in our vocabulary that defines ultimate goodness and perfection.

There is absolutely no question what-so-ever concerning that truth.

Form Wiki:

Quote:

I didn't study Wiki--

But even Wiki, says agape love was love the Christians were to practice towards God and one another.
So it too, shows it's human counterpart.
It really isn't much different from my explanation.

The sources I've read don't limit "agape" to God.
They also speak of the "agape" love of the Christians.

Using the Bible as the source:

AGAPE: #G26

Matt 24:12 "And because iniquity shall abound, the love (AGAPE) of many shall wax cold.

John 13:35 "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love (AGAPE) one to another.

Romans 12:9 "Let love (AGAPE) be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

The above text is interesting -- it shows that people's (AGAPE) needed some upgrading and guidance, it was far from God's AGAPE love.

1 Cor.13:10 Love (AGAPE) works no ill to his neighbour: therefore love (AGAPE)is the fulfilling of the law.
This was an oft quoted text -- this text is definitely speaking OF OUR LOVE for our neighbor.
Love works no ill to his neighbor (no stealing, cheating, hating, lying, killing, coveting, adultery) it keeps the law.

Of course if it keeps the law, it isn't sinning.

1 Cor. 13 The word "charity" is AGAPE, and the whole chapter is defining how we are to AGAPE love. It's a whole list concerning how WE SHOULD LOVE.

1 Cor. 16:14 Let all your things be done with charity. (AGAPE)

1 Cor. 16:24 (Paul writes) My love(AGAPE) be with you all in Christ Jesus.

2 Cor. 2:5 "I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love (AGAPE) which I have more abundantly unto you.

2 Cor. 2:7-8 So rather you should forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
Wherefore I beseech you that you would confirm your love (AGAPE) toward him.

So again --
From the start I was looking at this as OUR view of love. It must always be fed from the law and the Word, and even then our concept of the totality of God's righteous love is far beyond our conception, even at it's best.

So my point was that we must always subject our love to God's word and God's law. Which I believe you agree with.

Quote:

So nobody else was talking about the human element?
Are you sure?
And if not
Why not?

Quote:
Do you know anybody at all (i.e. any Christians) who would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

The question surprises me!
But yes, I've met quite a few who feel that love is above the law. That God's commandments are to "rein in the sinners", who don't have the Holy Spirit, but once one is a Christian they no longer need the law, they are led by the Spirit and the promptings of love. I've even had people tell me they no longer really need the Bible, once they've found Jesus, and received the Holy Spirit.

I should start a thread on that -- and where that all comes from, maybe talking about it on this thread confuses things.

Quote:
Quote:
There's still one poster that I'm not sure about

No, it's not Colin, not at all.

Quote:

I guess you don't want to talk about the human side of it then?

I guess I'm just wasting my time?

Quote:

You made many points,
If its that God's love is perfectly sinless, of course, there's never been a question on that point.

If it's our growth in agape love, no that is not sinless.

Reply Quote
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!