HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,663
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 6
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Daryl, daylily, ProdigalOne, 3 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113304
05/18/09 05:03 PM
05/18/09 05:03 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Quote:
Do you know anybody at all (i.e. any Christians) who would assert that our love doesn't need to be in subjection to God's commands and word?

The question surprises me!
But yes, I've met quite a few who feel that love is above the law. That God's commandments are to "rein in the sinners", who don't have the Holy Spirit, but once one is a Christian they no longer need the law, they are led by the Spirit and the promptings of love. I've even had people tell me they no longer really need the Bible, once they've found Jesus, and received the Holy Spirit.

I should start a thread on that -- and where that all comes from, maybe talking about it on this thread confuses things.

yes!! if you had thought to explain your issues it would have helped immensely to know where you were coming from, but unfortunately none of us are perfect.

but it really does not explain why you continued when so many posts were dedicated to show the poster was attempting to come from the biblical meaning of love.
Quote:
For example -- "love is the fulfilling of the law"
Are you saying that has nothing to do with our love?
I doubt that's what you meant.

-- actually there was a great mixing of the two. Which is good in it's own sense, when one understands both sides.

But to insist that "love is fulfilling the law" was "obviously all about God's love" and not about the person's love just isn't factual.

"love fulfils the law" is what the bible says. i can only assume that it means exactly what it says. i would think that studying it rather than arguing over whose "love" is involved would be much more constructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Tom
But, as I pointed out in a previous post -- agape love can also mean the "higher" Christian's love. Thus still OUR love, not God's LOVE as in the perfect, holy, righteous God.
Though it be the work of the Holy Spirit transforming the life.

Form Wiki:

Quote:
The term 'agape' is rarely used in ancient manuscripts, but was used by the early Christians to refer to the self-sacrificing love of God for humanity, which they were committed to reciprocating and practicing towards God and among one another (also see kenosis).

I didn't study Wiki--

But even Wiki, says agape love was love the Christians were to practice towards God and one another.
So it too, shows it's human counterpart.
It really isn't much different from my explanation.

The sources I've read don't limit "agape" to God.
They also speak of the "agape" love of the Christians.

Using the Bible as the source:

AGAPE: #G26

Matt 24:12 "And because iniquity shall abound, the love (AGAPE) of many shall wax cold.

John 13:35 "By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love (AGAPE) one to another.

Romans 12:9 "Let love (AGAPE) be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

The above text is interesting -- it shows that people's (AGAPE) needed some upgrading and guidance, it was far from God's AGAPE love.

1 Cor.13:10 Love (AGAPE) works no ill to his neighbour: therefore love (AGAPE)is the fulfilling of the law.
This was an oft quoted text -- this text is definitely speaking OF OUR LOVE for our neighbor.
Love works no ill to his neighbor (no stealing, cheating, hating, lying, killing, coveting, adultery) it keeps the law.

Of course if it keeps the law, it isn't sinning.

1 Cor. 13 The word "charity" is AGAPE, and the whole chapter is defining how we are to AGAPE love. It's a whole list concerning how WE SHOULD LOVE.

1 Cor. 16:14 Let all your things be done with charity. (AGAPE)

1 Cor. 16:24 (Paul writes) My love(AGAPE) be with you all in Christ Jesus.

2 Cor. 2:5 "I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love (AGAPE) which I have more abundantly unto you.

2 Cor. 2:7-8 So rather you should forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
Wherefore I beseech you that you would confirm your love (AGAPE) toward him.

So again --
From the start I was looking at this as OUR view of love. It must always be fed from the law and the Word, and even then our concept of the totality of God's righteous love is far beyond our conception, even at it's best.

So my point was that we must always subject our love to God's word and God's law. Which I believe you agree with.

these verses are urging us to learn and practice Gods love and i think that should be the point. otherwise this verse is quite applicable:
Eze 34:18 Seemeth it a small thing unto you to have eaten up the good pasture, but ye must tread down with your feet the residue of your pastures? and to have drunk of the deep waters, but ye must foul the residue with your feet?

studying what the bible means by "love" is more constructive, in my experience. your approach, and i hope you will consider the possibility, tends toward the legalistic. what i mean is the way you are stating it,
Quote:
So my point was that we must always subject our love to God's word and God's law.

it is still faulty man determining what Gods word and Gods law look like. our understanding of Gods love, word, and law is faulty, no matter how you look at it. whereas studying Gods love, word and law and letting the Holy Spirit explain it will bring the change in us we need.

Quote:
Quote:
But nobody else was, which should have been clear. Even if you didn't understand this by the word "agape," this was immediately pointed out to you, by several people.

So nobody else was talking about the human element?
Are you sure?
And if not
Why not?

you joined the discussion "arguing against" what you thought the brothers might have meant. then claimed that you were being "argued against".
Originally Posted By: dedication
By arguing against me you are both indicating that you have problems with my belief and statements that love must be in subjection to God's will and law in order to be righteous love, it's on this premise I've addressed the posts.

several posts were dedicated to showing what the poster meant which makes the above statement "not right" to put it mildly.

the brothers saw love as the opposite of sin. you see righteousness as the opposite of sin. its just two different perspectives.

Quote:
Quote:
tom: Regarding the rest of the post, this has been covered before. It's been pointed out repeatedly that God's love is what's being talked about, not human love.

dedication: I guess you don't want to talk about the human side of it then?

there should not be any human side, any human "love" in this consideration at all. our attention should be solely on what Gods love looks like. by beholding we become. concentrating on the misunderstanding and misuse of the biblical concept will only lead us to come to wrong conclusions to counter those thoughts.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113305
05/18/09 05:14 PM
05/18/09 05:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
My understanding, regarding agape, is that it is a love which we do not have the ability to exercise or practice of ourselves. Only by receiving it from God is it possible for us to have, after which point we can exercise or practice it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113307
05/18/09 05:30 PM
05/18/09 05:30 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
that has come to be both my understanding and experience.

when i try to "love" according to my understanding im a flop. but when i ask God what i should do ideas come to me that i would never have thought of. my way has earned me resentment from others. Gods way has earned me life-long gratitude!

amazing isnt it?!

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113308
05/18/09 05:38 PM
05/18/09 05:38 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
...That we get to use agape means that WE have to follow the Spirit's leading in studying the Bible to find its shape, etc.

Building character is the human side of agape, and, yes, no human love is part of that, but sanctified living by faith involves humanised agape, experiencing Christ's righteousness in our lives, not just in our justified minds.

That's where the German lesson on grace ended: living out grace...

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: teresaq] #113309
05/18/09 05:40 PM
05/18/09 05:40 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
that has come to be both my understanding and experience.

when i try to "love" according to my understanding im a flop. but when i ask God what i should do ideas come to me that i would never have thought of. my way has earned me resentment from others. Gods way has earned me life-long gratitude!

amazing isnt it?!

Following the Spirit is implementing the Bible truths Dedication has always appealed to, on this thread, and God's leading by his Spirit does just what you said, Teresa.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113322
05/18/09 10:43 PM
05/18/09 10:43 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Following the Spirit is implementing the Bible truths ...

and yet there will be "heathen" who've never heard of a bible who will be in heaven for responding to the Spirit.

Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts,...

.... The love of Christ binds together the members of His family, and wherever that love is made manifest there the divine relationship is revealed. "Everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." 1 John 4:7. {DA 638.1}
Those whom Christ commends in the judgment may have known little of theology, but they have cherished His principles. Through the influence of the divine Spirit they have been a blessing to those about them. Even among the heathen are those who have cherished the spirit of kindness; before the words of life had fallen upon their ears, they have befriended the missionaries, even ministering to them at the peril of their own lives. Among the heathen are those who worship God ignorantly, those to whom the light is never brought by human instrumentality, yet they will not perish. Though ignorant of the written law of God, they have heard His voice speaking to them in nature, and have done the things that the law required. Their works are evidence that the Holy Spirit has touched their hearts, and they are recognized as the children of God. {DA 638.2}
How surprised and gladdened will be the lowly among the nations, and among the heathen, to hear from the lips of the Saviour, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me"! How glad will be the heart of Infinite Love as His followers look up with surprise and joy at His words of approval! {DA 638.3}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113327
05/19/09 02:02 AM
05/19/09 02:02 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
My understanding, regarding agape, is that it is a love which we do not have the ability to exercise or practice of ourselves. Only by receiving it from God is it possible for us to have, after which point we can exercise or practice it.

O.K. there is the NEW CREATURE experience.
Allowing God to change us from the inside out.

But can you explain to me how you understand this to take place?

Is it something that happens at conversion?

How would you counsel this person --

CASE STUDY (could be anyone's story)

"The morning started well enough, Sally breathed in the fresh morning morning air, thanking God for life and all His blessings. She took her Bible and read the sixth chapter of Romans, ending with prayer thanking God that her "old self" had been crucified with Christ, and that she could now "reckon herself dead to sin but alive in Christ".

Hardly had she arrived in her office when the shrill telephone shattered her peaceful world. On the other end was an impossible individual, impatient, demanding, shouting rebukes when Sally told him the company did not offer the service he was demanding.

Sally's inner peace was ripped to shreds and replaced with a volatile, steaming emotional storm. Total revoltion against this person filled her heart. Slowly the emotions subsided, but the anger turned to utter discouragement. It was still early in the morning, and already she had failed God completely. All those nice sounding promises of God's love filling her and changing her sounded like fairy tales.

END OF CASE STUDY

How would you counsel this person?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: dedication] #113328
05/19/09 02:29 AM
05/19/09 02:29 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, it's something that happens at conversion. Regarding counsel, I think daily spending a thoughtful hour meditating on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes, is good counsel.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Colin] #113331
05/19/09 03:07 AM
05/19/09 03:07 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
Quote:
Quote:
There's still one poster that I'm not sure about -- the one that wrote "From there we went on to for instance quote the bulk of Pauls letter to the Galatians. Though I am not suprised that you, wishing to promote the primacy of the law, would not go there."

That appears as a pretty sarcastic reply to the thought that we must subject OUR love to God's word and law. The impression it gives me, is that he is against having God's word and law as a measuring rod of our love. Against OUR LOVE being in subjection to God's Word and Law.

That sounds like Colin. He's just enigmatic (as opposed to sarcastic).

Nope, not me: that was either Arnold or Thomas, and me thinks it was Arnold. It was also sarcastic, imho, as we know the history of law and grace in Galatians in our church..., and what comes from missing that gospel combination!

Not me. Sentence structure and style is different. That was Vaster. You guys need to bone up on your textual criticism skills. wink

I don't think that was sarcastic. Sarcasm would require more subtlety than that. He seemed pretty straightforward in the assertion that Dedication is promoting the "primacy of the law." But the accuracy of that assertion is fodder for another thread.

In any case, love is the fulfillment of the law. If one loves as Paul had in mind, he will be keeping the law that Paul had in mind.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #7 - Grace [Re: Tom] #113333
05/19/09 04:35 AM
05/19/09 04:35 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes, it's something that happens at conversion. Regarding counsel, I think daily spending a thoughtful hour meditating on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes, is good counsel.

But in that case study, she had just spent an hour studying Romans six, which includes Christ's death and "taking the old man" or our sinfulness upon Himself and dying. She had spent time with the Lord in prayer and contemplation.

She KNEW how she should have reacted, but all it did was make her feel very guilty that she didn't measure up.

I remember another mother confiding in me, how guilty she felt because she just couldn't seem to stop yelling at her son. He just kept getting under her skin. This woman was very serious about spending time studying, and praying and learning to love. She was a pusher in church in getting Prayer groups and seasons of prayer etc. going. She knew about the love of God, and that she didn't measure up.

Would you have told her to spend more time in study and prayer?

Reply Quote
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!