HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114092
06/03/09 06:26 PM
06/03/09 06:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
t, I find this is a lot easier to read with breaks between the paragraphs.

Distressing Experiences of 1888

The love of Christ must be an abiding principle in the heart, that will bear fruit in love and tenderness and respect for one another. The love of the truth, the doing of the words of Christ, would soften and subdue our hearts. The purity and goodness and love of the great heart of Jesus must be reflected upon our hearts and revealed in our characters, that we may be partakers of the divine nature and have tender compassion for each other. {1888 176.1}

For many years I have been bearing, by pen and voice, the same testimony of appeal and entreaties, but oh, how disappointed I have been at heart to see how little the message of Christ in His Word has been heeded, and how little the message given me of God has affected the course of action of many of my brethren! When unable to sleep nights I have entreated the Lord in prayer to remove the burden that caused me so great pain of heart. Then it would come vividly before me that the same acts that the divine Redeemer experienced when He was in this world, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, are being repeated by Christ's professed followers today. {1888 176.2}

"He was wounded for our transgression, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5. {1888 176.3}

Christ sojourned thirty-three years in this world, and how was He treated? The world disowned Him, scorned Him, and pronounced sentence against Him in the judgment hall, and, as agents of the prince of darkness, acted out his spirit in putting Christ to death. It was the worst that humanity could do. It was unrequited love that broke the heart of the Son of God. {1888 176.4}

Even His own twelve disciples were not proof against Satan's temptations. A Judas betrayed Him into the hands of His enemies, and in the hour of His humiliation in the judgment hall Peter denied Him. Jesus was disappointed in His disciples, and shall I lose courage with the experience and example of Christ before me? Shall I faint under the knowledge which has impressed itself so powerfully on my mind--that some of those who claim to believe present truth for this time disappoint the Saviour as verily today in their attitude and spiritual blindness as when Christ was in His human form in the world? {1888 177.1}

Jesus cannot say "Peace be unto you," unless all bickering and dissension, jealousy and evil surmisings shall cease. I was burdened greatly. I knew not what I could do. I felt remorse of soul at times because I could not do more to arouse my brethren and sisters to see and sense the great loss they were sustaining in not opening their hearts to receive the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness. They could not let the beams of light shine upon others in love, faith, trust in God, forbearance, goodness, and purity. {1888 177.2}

I carried the burden until nature gave way and while at Healdsburg I fainted. For about two weeks I was prostrated by sickness so severe that I had no power to exercise faith. A discouragement was upon me that it seemed I should never rise above. My courage was gone. I lost my desire to live. {1888 177.3}

Word came by letter to us from Oakland that special seasons of prayer were being held in my behalf, that the Lord would heal me of my sickness and that I should be able to bear my testimony before the congregation assembled in the camp meeting at Oakland. I tried to make some effort to respond. I tried to walk out by faith as I had done in the past. A bed was made for me on the seats of the car and I lay down until we changed for the boat. I was strengthened to reach the Mission in Oakland, and although weak and trembling I was strengthened to bear my testimony in the congregation several times. {1888 177.4}

During this severe attack of sickness I had vividly brought to my remembrance the experience I passed through when my husband was dying. I prayed with him in my great feebleness on that occasion. I sat by his side with his hand in mine until he fell asleep in Jesus. The solemn vows I there made to stand at my post of duty were deeply impressed upon my mind--vows to disappoint the enemy, to bear a constant, earnest appeal to my brethren of the cruelty of their jealousies and evil surmisings which were leavening the churches. I would appeal to them to love one another, to keep their hearts tender by the remembrance of the love of Jesus exercised toward them, in what He did for them. And He said, "Love one another, as I have loved you." John 15:12. I never can express with pen or voice the work that I discerned was laid out before me on that occasion when I was beside my dying husband. I have not lost the deep views of my work, as I sat by the bed of my husband with his dying hand in mine. {1888 177.5}

I have tried to fulfil my pledge. I knew the peril that threatened the church in Battle Creek, and in all our conferences, was the cherishing of a hard, unkind spirit. Some are here who were present when I stood in the desk alone after the funeral of my husband. They know the words spoken by me on that occasion under my deep sorrow, were spoken under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord. I knew that Satan had stolen a march upon many souls who did not suspect his devices. I knew that the enemy would exercise his power to weaken the church. Satan was surely working in the children of disobedience, to distract and bring dissension into the church. {1888 178.1}

In my feebleness I entreated that Satan should not have any place and should not exult over the people who have had so great light and so great opportunities and privileges. I implored our people in Battle Creek to cherish tenderness, kindness, and esteem for one another, to close the door to the enemy, and to cultivate that love that Jesus has manifested toward the erring children of men. He gave His own life that they should not perish, but have everlasting life. He gave His disciples His dying testimony, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." John 13:34, 35. {1888 178.2}

If this love is of such power, why not express it in words and in our actions toward one another? Why are we so cold, so hard-hearted, so critical? If we are children of God, why not have the love of Jesus revealed in our lives and expressed in our treatment of one another? Should one drop into the grave, there would then be hung in memory's hall the pleasant pictures of kind words spoken, of kindly acts, of a spirit of brotherly love and tender forbearance exercised. The words spoken to you in Battle Creek in August 1881 were an appeal and a warning. The trial and experience that followed showed you did not heed the testimony given you. {1888 179.1}

This meeting has been the saddest experience of my life, and yet I feel the peace of Christ sustaining me. I see that which fills my heart with very disagreeable forebodings. I had presented before me in Europe chapters in the future experience of our people which are being fulfilled during this meeting. The reason given me was, want of Bible piety and of the spirit and mind of Christ. The enemy has been placing his mold on the work for years, for it certainly is not the divine mold. {1888 179.2}
Two years ago Jesus was grieved and bruised in the person of His saints. The rebuke of God is upon everything of the character of harshness, of disrespect, and the want of sympathetic love in brother toward brother. If this lack is seen in the men who are guardians of our conferences, guardians of our institutions, the sin is greater in them than in those who have not been entrusted with so large responsibilities. They are to be ensamples to the flock. They are to practice the life of Christ, repeating His lessons both by precept and example. {1888 179.3}

No man can truly be a Christian unless he cherishes love for his brethren. The spirit of criticism, of evil feeling and evil speaking, has been like leaven doing its unchristlike work more decidedly since that conference. I am alarmed. I am full of sorrow. God has given you testimonies condemning everything of this character, which testimonies are to be heeded and not fall to the ground. Brethren, will you take into serious consideration the fact that we are backsliding from God, and we do not meet the standard of God's Word? We do not heed the lessons Christ has given us. {1888 180.1}

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock; and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not; for it was founded upon a rock." Matthew 7:21-25. {1888 180.2}

Brethren, why are we not more diligent, not only in hearing but in doing the words of Christ? "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4. It is because there is such inattention in hearing the lessons Christ has given to us, and such negligence in doing His words, that there is so great want of spiritual health and vital spiritual life in our midst. The Spirit of the Lord is grieved with our disregard of the words of the heavenly Teacher, and we do not have peace, joy, and heavenly discernment. If there were less combating and more praying for the mind that was in Christ Jesus and for divine grace to win souls, there would be altogether a different atmosphere in these meetings. {1888 180.3}

"And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand [on his own human efforts]: and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house, and it fell: and great was the fall of it." Matthew 7:26, 27. {1888 181.1}

There is a larger number who profess to believe the truth for this time, who are represented as hearing the sayings of Christ and doing them not, than of those who diligently hear and are doers of His words. They do not endure temptation, because their souls are not riveted to the eternal Rock. They are hearers and not doers of the word. Their religious faith is represented by the house built on the sand. The storms of temptation come and it falls, because it is not built upon the Rock. {1888 181.2}
We all know better than to do as we have done. There is no excuse for this unchristlike spirit. If Christ were abiding in the soul we could not but reveal Christ's forbearance, Christ's courtesy, and the love of Christ. All this hard, unkind, uncourteous spirit manifested toward brethren is registered in the books of heaven as manifested toward Jesus Christ, for He identifies His interest with that of His brethren. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40. {1888 181.3}

I have pledged myself by a solemn vow to God that wherever this spirit of contempt and unkindness and want of love should exist, I would lay it out in clear lines before my brethren, show them the sinfulness of their course, and with decided testimony turn the current if possible. If I could not succeed, then I would withdraw myself from the meetings, for I am afraid to be in such gatherings lest I shall be leavened with the prevailing spirit. {1888 181.4}

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114095
06/03/09 06:58 PM
06/03/09 06:58 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
thank you, it is much better. coloring also brings out very important points.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114098
06/03/09 08:02 PM
06/03/09 08:02 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
It's not about who wrote what in the FBs book, or the Handbook of Theology. It's about the fact that, each of us having a part in it, the church has stopped this website using its name as this website isn't approved by the church for presenting its teachings, despite our best attempts.

On the atonement teaching, your position is definitely not agreeable with that of Angel Rodriguez, as we saw between you and MM a little while ago, while MM, Dedication and I, to name a few, agree with him. That's where the rubber hits the road. We each, everyone, everywhere, have differences here and there: yours is with FB #9.

As for the FBs book, it is promoted and used by pastors etc in my part of the church just as I said before - a church prepared explanation of church teachings. Rodriguez article mirrors chapter 9 in that book.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114099
06/03/09 08:17 PM
06/03/09 08:17 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
On the atonement, Tom, I agree with the church, as expressed in the various books and articles I've mentioned; you don't, and that's that.

On "arbitrary", I mean the other meaning of tyrannical or non-procedural, hence unlawful. You highlighted this meaning of it when you first argued God is not like that. Don't have time to go find that quote, but you've relied on both primary and 2nd or whichever other meaning of it unlikeable actions is. The discretionary judicial action isn't EGW's usage either, but the other meaning, as showed in that quote from the Youth's Instructor posted by Dedication, on this thread.

On "vengeance", "there was war in heaven" and fighting involved. There's a time for war and a time for peace: same for God. His wars are very, very rare!! Only one recorded thus far - to our knowledge, and there may not be another. Judgement day is a day of vengeance, too, and it says fire, as does EGW, which I think is the case, too.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114100
06/03/09 08:36 PM
06/03/09 08:36 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
On the Roman Catholic matter I raised, and the authority of the SDA church, I was pointing out that church beliefs are generally agreed among members under guidance from pastors and church literature.

The general understanding of doctrine is loosely agreed, with your views on eg. the atonement and mine eg. on the trinity being heard of and known as different to the main view. That main view is presented in the FBs book, and the Handbook of SDA Theology, too, of course. This main view isn't so much "democracy" - I don't hold "democracy" in terribly high regard! - as simply what the main body of believers agrees on. It's ever still the church's customary agreement on faith, even after voted statements.

Differences with that main view should be raised privately and clearly. When this isn't done, misunderstandings among members and moreso among visitors is expected, of course. This website defends the church's main view, whatever the GC licensing dept. thinks!

No, there is no official stamp on the FBs book as official, but all the same that book is definitely generally agreed and accepted by all as the main view of the church! It is good you hold only to the voted FB #9: you couldn't lay claim to agree with its chapter. That you differ with its chapter is the issue here.

That chapter is agreed by most in the church and most here, too, so it's good you have your own thread to examine and present your alternative.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114103
06/03/09 09:08 PM
06/03/09 09:08 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: teresaq
Originally Posted By: Colin
Originally Posted By: teresaq
[quote=Colin]A legal debt covered, so it can be forgiven because of that cancelling of the debt.

so are we to consider both the earthly and heavenly sanctuaries as some kind of courthouse?

or is "legal debt", "penal" substitution, more in line with how we deal with breaking the law?

A courthouse? Yes, judgements are rendered on evidence and confessions of men, assessed by our Advocate.

T: i guess im asking, has man in trying to understand the things of God compared holy things with manmade institutions? and in so doing lost sight of the true meaning of Gods illustrations and words.
im used to reading such as this and i see no manmade legal terms anywhere in her writings. not only that i see so much more involved, so much deeper than any "legal" simplification.
Quote:
Faith in Christ is the only condition upon which justification can be received; and the gift is bestowed only upon those who realize that they are sinners, and undeserving of mercy. The merits of the blood of Christ must be presented to the Father as the offering for the sins of men. When sinners seek God, and in repentance confess their sin, he pardons their transgressions, remits their punishment, and receives them into fellowship with himself, as if they had never transgressed. He imparts to them the righteousness of Christ. {YI, March 1, 1900 par. 1}
The faith that accepts Christ as One who is able to save to the uttermost all who come unto God by him, means perfect belief and trust. To be intelligently convinced is not enough. The apostle James writes: "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." Many there are who believe that Christ has died for the sins of the world, but they make no appropriation of this grand truth to their own souls. Their hearts are not enlisted in the service of God, their lives are not reformed. They are not sanctified by the truth they profess to believe. Not having the faith that works by love and purifies the soul, no genuine good appears in their lives. "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?" asks the apostle. "Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God." {YI, March 1, 1900 par. 2}

God surrendered his Son to the agonies of the crucifixion, that guilty man might live. Legions of angels witnessed Christ's sufferings; but they were not permitted to interpose as in the case of Isaac. No voice was heard to stay the sacrifice. God's dear Son was mocked, and derided, and tortured, till he bowed his head in death. What greater proof of his pity and love could the infinite God have given? "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" {YI, March 8, 1900 par. 3}
The apostle Paul says: "If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shalt not be ashamed. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him." {YI, March 8, 1900 par. 4}
God calls for faith in Christ as our atoning sacrifice. His blood is the only remedy for sin. For us he arose from the grave, and ascended to heaven to stand in the presence of God. He was delivered for our offenses, and raised again for our justification. When we take hold of his wonderful truth by faith, we shall say, with Paul, "We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." We behold the light of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. Such a view of Christ irradiates with glory the word of God. It lays for our faith a foundation. It sets forth a hope to every believing soul. Well may we bow our souls before the majesty of this precious truth. {YI, March 8, 1900 par. 5}

When through repentance and faith we accept Christ as our Saviour, the Lord pardons our sins, and remits the penalty prescribed for the transgression of the law. The sinner then stands before God as a just person; he is taken into favor with Heaven, and through the Spirit has fellowship with the Father and the Son. Then there is yet another work to be accomplished, and this is for a progressive nature. The soul is to be sanctified through the truth. And this also is accomplished through faith. For it is only by the grace of Christ, which we receive through faith, that the character can be transformed. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 1}
It is important that we understand clearly the nature of faith. There are many who believe that Christ is the Saviour of the world, that the gospel is true and reveals the plan of salvation, yet they do not possess saving faith. They are intellectually convinced of the truth, but this is not enough; in order to be justified, the sinner must have that faith that appropriates the merits of Christ to his own soul. We read that the devils "believe, and tremble;" but their belief does not bring them justification, neither will the belief of those who give a merely intellectual assent to the truths of the Bible bring them the benefits of salvation. This belief fails of reaching the vital point, for the truth does not engage the heart or transform the character. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 2}
In genuine, saving faith, there is trust in God, through the belief in the great atoning sacrifice made by the Son of God on Calvary. In Christ, the justified believer beholds his only hope and deliverer. Belief may exist without trust, but confidence born of trust cannot exist without faith. Every sinner brought to a knowledge of the saving power of Christ, will make manifest this trust in greater degree as he advances in experience. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 3}
The words of the apostle shed light upon what constitutes genuine faith. He says, "If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." To believe with the heart is more than conviction, more than assent to the truth. This faith is sincere, earnest, and engages the affections of the soul; it is the faith that works by love, and purifies the heart. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 4}
God reveals Christ to the sinner, and he beholds him dying upon Calvary for the sin of his creature. He then understands how he is condemned by the law of God, for the Spirit works upon his conscience, enforcing the claim of the broken law. He is then given the opportunity of defying the law, of rejecting the Saviour, or of yielding to its claims, and receiving Christ as his Redeemer. God will not compel the service of any man, but he reveals to him his obligation, unfolds to him the requirements of his holy law, and sets before him the result of his choice-to obey and live, or to disobey and perish. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 5}
The command from Heaven is, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself." When the force of this requirement is understood, the conscience is convicted, the sinner is condemned. The carnal mind, which is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be, rises up in rebellion against the holy claims of the law. But as the sinner beholds Christ hanging upon the cross of Calvary, suffering for his transgression, deeper conviction takes hold upon him, and he sees something of the offensive nature of sin. Where there is a true conception of the spirituality and holiness of the divine law, the sinner is under condemnation, and his sins stand arrayed before him in their true character. By the law is the knowledge of sin, and in its light he understands the evil of secret thoughts and deeds of darkness. God's law presents matters in a light in which he has never before viewed his life. He sees that what we speak with our tongue, what we do with our hands, what we exhibit in our outer life, is but a very small part of what goes to make up our character. The law penetrates to the thoughts and intents of the heart. It searches out the dark passions indulged in secret, the jealousies, envyings, theft, murder, malignity, ambition, and evil that lurk hidden from the eyes of men. How often do men exalt those in whose hearts are dark things that for want of opportunity to display themselves are kept from sight. But God's law registers all hidden evil. The wise man declares, "God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 6}
Many who claim to believe that the law has a binding obligation upon human intelligences, think lightly of secret sins, and carry themselves with boldness, as satisfied in their self-righteousness as if they were really doers of the word of God. Their work bears the impress of their defective character, and God cannot stand as their helper. God cannot cooperate with them. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 7}
Character is tested and registered by Heaven more by the inward spirit, the hidden motive, than by that which appears to men. Men may have a pleasing exterior, and be outwardly excellent, while they are but whited sepulchers, full of corruption and uncleanness. Their works are registered as unsanctified, unholy. Their prayers and works, devoid of the righteousness of Christ, do not ascend before God as sweet fragrance, but they are abomination in the eyes of the Lord. To those who will open their eyes, the law presents a perfect likeness of the soul, a complete photograph of the inner man; and as this picture is unveiled before the sinner, he is constrained to acknowledge that he is sold under sin, but that the law is holy, and just, and good. {ST, November 3, 1890 par. 8}
It is the grace of Christ that draws men unto himself, and in him alone is hope and salvation for the sinner. Man is unworthy of any favor from God; but as Christ becomes his righteousness, he may ask and receive, in his name and through his merit, the grace and favor of God. Jesus bore the just penalty of the law, that we might have his grace; but this fact does not mean the subversion of the law. Paul asks, "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid; yea, we establish the law." The bestowal of the grace of Christ upon the repentant sinner is that he may be brought into perfect harmony with the government of heaven. In the cross, mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. {ST, November 10, 1890 par. 2}
When we look to the cross of Calvary, we see that the highest claims of the law were met in the efficiency of the offering. Hence, Jesus is called "the Lord our righteousness." When we lay hold on the merit of Christ, and are able to say, "The Lord is my Saviour, my righteousness," then we are justified by faith, and have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. {ST, November 10, 1890 par. 3}

C: Yes, There's so much about him to goes into his love for us: grin That he has provided help for the problem which we have under his own law makes his the best friendship known to man. There's nothing man-made in God's legal system! Even his legal terms feel different to ours! If there's any comparison, his are better. grin

Last edited by Colin; 06/03/09 09:15 PM. Reason: editing
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114104
06/03/09 09:22 PM
06/03/09 09:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't know what the chapter says, and you didn't cite anything, to the best of my knowledge, so I couldn't make any claim about what I had no knowledge of. I looked on line to see what I could find, and commented on that.

There's a difference between your differences regarding Christ/the Holy Spirit and mine on the atonement. There are many credentialed ministers who preach the position I believe is correct. The are allowed to present their position in the pulpits. A. Graham Maxwell wrote the commentary on Romans. Otoh, your position could not be presented from the pulpit without disciplinary action being taken.

Again, I wouldn't even mention this, but you keep bringing it up. I am agreement with the official position of the church. Regarding your claim that

Quote:
This website defends the church's main view, whatever the GC licensing dept. thinks!

I don't know where you're getting this from. There's nothing in the rules about this. The rules state:

Quote:
4 - You must either believe in or respect the 28 fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church

This is even less strict than I am, because it doesn't say you have to believe in them, but that you must believe in or respect them. I've affirmed not only respect but belief.

So you're wrong on this point. You shouldn't have brought it up in the first place, and you certainly shouldn't keep repeating it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #114105
06/03/09 09:48 PM
06/03/09 09:48 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
In the same way, in Christ all of us will be made alive again.23 But everyone will be raised to life in the right order. Christ was first to be raised. When Christ comes again, those who belong to him will be raised to life,24 and then the end will come. At that time Christ will destroy all rulers, authorities, and powers,

1. Christ rises first ("who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead"; Col 1:18)

2. Then God's faithful at the second coming. (Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, Rev. 20:6)

3. After the 1000 years there's the second resurrection. (But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.Rev. 20:5)

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

You know, Dedication, I'd forgotten about 2 Cor 15:24 - that never gets preached on! - as well as Jn 5:29.

Thanks for coming back to this study question from Teresa!

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114107
06/03/09 10:15 PM
06/03/09 10:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There's nothing man-made in God's legal system!

This is an interesting assertion. An objection that I have to the penal substitution system is the same thing teresa was getting at, a reliance on human government to understand the divine.

Quote:
"Whereunto," asked Christ, "shall we liken the kingdom of God? or with what comparison shall we compare it?" Mark 4:30. He could not employ the kingdoms of the world as a similitude. In society He found nothing with which to compare it. Earthly kingdoms rule by the ascendency of physical power; but from Christ's kingdom every carnal weapon, every instrument of coercion, is banished." The Acts of the Apostles, 12.

The Western justice system is quite recent. Until Calvin's formulation, I'm not aware of anyone that understood the atonement the way that he did. Both he and Anselm looked to be backfitting their own ideas into the atonement model. In the case of Anselm, it was a world with feuds and lords whose honor needed to be defended. In the case of Calvin, it was Western justice.

So while I agree completely with your assertion that there's nothing man-made about God's legal system, your asserting this strikes me as ironic.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114108
06/03/09 10:29 PM
06/03/09 10:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
On the atonement, Tom, I agree with the church, as expressed in the various books and articles I've mentioned; you don't, and that's that.

I don't know that you do. You said that to assert that Christ is an "atonement for sin" is unBiblical. Both the SOP and Fundamental Beliefs #9 assert just that.

Also you believe that Christ took our sinful nature. Unless you think this plays no role in the atonement, the prevalent position in the church is not the same as yours on this question either.

Quote:
On "arbitrary", I mean the other meaning of tyrannical or non-procedural, hence unlawful.

I wasn't using it this way, which I made clear.

Quote:
You highlighted this meaning of it when you first argued God is not like that.

No I didn't. I've used it the same way all along.

Quote:
Don't have time to go find that quote, but you've relied on both primary and 2nd or whichever other meaning of it unlikeable actions is.

No, I don't think so. I can't think of anytime on this forum that I've used it other than the way I have been recently.

Quote:
The discretionary judicial action isn't EGW's usage either, but the other meaning, as showed in that quote from the Youth's Instructor posted by Dedication, on this thread.

No, this is incorrect. I've already pointed this out. Here's the quote from DA 764:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown.God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death." Eph. 4:18; Prov. 8:36. God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin. A doubt of God's goodness would have remained in their minds as evil seed, to produce its deadly fruit of sin and woe. (DA 764)

This is very clear from looking at the context. Even someone who takes the penal position agreed with me on this, but I can't remember who at the moment. Anyway, it's very easy to see. She's emphasizing over and over again that the death of the wicked is to due to their own choice. She says that over and over again. I count nine times she makes this point, not including the arbitrary comment, which would make ten.

How many times does she God is not a tyrant here? Not once. She's not talking about that, which is clear to see.

Quote:
On "vengeance", "there was war in heaven" and fighting involved.

Agreed, but what was the fighting in regards to? Who was stronger? Or God's character?

Quote:
There's a time for war and a time for peace: same for God. His wars are very, very rare!! Only one recorded thus far - to our knowledge, and there may not be another. Judgement day is a day of vengeance, too, and it says fire, as does EGW, which I think is the case, too.

My question is if you are saying that "holy violence" is a part of God's government. It sounds like you are.

Let me ask the question another way. Does God use violence to administer His government?

Regarding fire, yes, both Scripture and EGW say this, but what does it mean? Is it like this?

Quote:
To sin, wherever found, "our God is a consuming fire." Heb. 12:29. In all who submit to His power the Spirit of God will consume sin. But if men cling to sin, they become identified with it. Then the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.(DA 107)

I think it is.

Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!