HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114349
06/07/09 11:45 PM
06/07/09 11:45 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq

did david have imputed righteousness-justification-when he lusted after bathsheba and acted on it? or even just before?

David did what many do today.
Drifted away from the source of salvation.

David had experienced justification, he had surrendered his life to do God's will.

But rather than counting himself dead to sin and alive in Christ, he started depending upon self.
When a person depends upon self the old man sneaks up on us.
As we depend upon self we start walking in our own paths, rather than in humble obedience in Christ.

That's what David did, he stopped walking in humble obedience with God, surrendered to His will, and started depending upon himself (this didn't happen overnight either) -- he was now king. Everything was going well, he was powerful, rich, getting used to getting his way as people bowed before him. Anything he wanted he could command and people delivered. So he wanted Bathseba....

But the deliberate sins against God put him right on the lowest level of the lost, the visible product of his drifting away!

There is no such thing as "once saved always saved" we need to walk the life of sanctification, -- in humble obedience, with our lives surrendered to Christ. Counting ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ. As long as we do that -- yes we are justified, Christ's righteousness covering us and empowering us.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #114357
06/08/09 01:04 AM
06/08/09 01:04 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
And, Dedication & Teresa, when David turned from his faith experience of justification, he was kept by God's grace.

Notice, when Nathan confronted him with his sin....: God himself called David a man after his own heart. Ps 51 doesn't negate blood sacrifice, as I've heard Tom suggesting, but that sacrifice is nothing without a contrite heart.

Yes, the old man isn't killed by conversion, but merely paralysed, till we flick the switch and don't listen to the Spirit. The "destroy him" of Heb 2:14b actually means paralyse, I understand. David did write the psalm didn't he - well it's in the psalms! - guard the avenues of my soul, o Lord.

Since we are still getting used to leaning constantly on Jesus' presence by his Spirit, he is our Advocate till he is satisfied that we've both learned that spiritual skill & lifestyle, and are Christlike for it!

Only the Father already knows when that'll be. Sister White wrote that the disappointment of Christ at the rejection attitude against the 1888 message was indescribable: he didn't know it wasn't going to bring in the kingdom in four years, as she also later said, by about 1894 or so.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114362
06/08/09 01:50 AM
06/08/09 01:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Ps 51 doesn't negate blood sacrifice, as I've heard Tom suggesting

Where Colin? Where did I do this?

It seems like every post I ask you to quote things instead of making assertions like this with no evidence. Would you like it if I did this to you? Let's keep the golden rule in mind! I assume you wouldn't appreciate my claiming you said things you never said. Well, neither do I! Please don't do this!

So, again I ask, where did I suggest that Psalm 51 negates blood sacrifice?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114368
06/08/09 05:56 AM
06/08/09 05:56 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Colin
And, Dedication & Teresa, when David turned from his faith experience of justification, he was kept by God's grace.

Notice, when Nathan confronted him with his sin....: God himself called David a man after his own heart. Ps 51 doesn't negate blood sacrifice, as I've heard Tom suggesting, but that sacrifice is nothing without a contrite heart.

Yes, the old man isn't killed by conversion, but merely paralysed, till we flick the switch and don't listen to the Spirit. The "destroy him" of Heb 2:14b actually means paralyse, I understand. David did write the psalm didn't he - well it's in the psalms! - guard the avenues of my soul, o Lord.

Since we are still getting used to leaning constantly on Jesus' presence by his Spirit, he is our Advocate till he is satisfied that we've both learned that spiritual skill & lifestyle, and are Christlike for it!

Only the Father already knows when that'll be. Sister White wrote that the disappointment of Christ at the rejection attitude against the 1888 message was indescribable: he didn't know it wasn't going to bring in the kingdom in four years, as she also later said, by about 1894 or so.

no, my understanding is similar to dedications. david started drifting from the Lord. as long as we are partaking of Christs imparted righteousness we are "justified", have the "covering" of Christs imputed righteousness. when we start drifting away, or deliberately walk out from under that "umbrella" we are targets for the enemy.

yes, i do agree that david was a man after Gods own heart, but that was before he stumbled and fell, an example for us of what happens when we dont keep our eyes focused on Christ every minute of the day. i also believe he was a man after Gods own heart when he repented, but certainly not when he started drifting away.

paralyzed seems to be a good way to look at it. i think i like that.

and yes, i would agree that, in a sense, we are covered as we learn of, and how to depend on, Christ. but not with imputed righteousness. we would be covered the same as one who has not yet made their choice one way or the other.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #114387
06/08/09 02:45 PM
06/08/09 02:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Colin:The "destroy him" of Heb 2:14b actually means paralyse, I understand.

Quote:
Teresa:paralyzed seems to be a good way to look at it. i think i like that.

The normal word for "destroy" is "apollumi". "katargeo" means:

1)to be (render) entirely idle (useless), literally or figuratively
2)to cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish

The word "paralytic" comes from the Greek "paralutikos." There's a very with the same root, but it looks to have a meaning more along the lines of "to become paralyzed" as opposed to "to paralyze."

Here are some other verses which use the word "katargeo"

Quote:
For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? (Rom. 3:3)

Quote:
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law. (Rom. 3:31)

Quote:
For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: (Rom. 4:14)

Quote:
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (Rom. 6:6)

Quote:
For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. (Rom. 7:2)

Quote:
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. (Rom. 7:6)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #114393
06/08/09 05:25 PM
06/08/09 05:25 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Quote:
Ps 51 doesn't negate blood sacrifice, as I've heard Tom suggesting

Where Colin? Where did I do this?

It seems like every post I ask you to quote things instead of making assertions like this with no evidence. Would you like it if I did this to you? Let's keep the golden rule in mind! I assume you wouldn't appreciate my claiming you said things you never said. Well, neither do I! Please don't do this!

So, again I ask, where did I suggest that Psalm 51 negates blood sacrifice?

There's no way I could find it now! shocked It was comments of yours on these verses, where you appeared to take the text as literally meaning contrition is the basis of forgiveness without needing the prescribed sacrifice David is alluding to.
Quote:
16For Thou desirest not sacrifice, else would I give it; Thou delightest not in burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.

What is your view then of these verses on whether they dipense with the sacrifices God asks for, to be offered by his people by faith in promise of the Messiah, or is David merely saying that there is no power of God in the form of religion which lacks that contrite heart?

Remind me of your interpretation, please?

Last edited by Colin; 06/08/09 05:29 PM.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Colin] #114396
06/08/09 06:25 PM
06/08/09 06:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
There's no way I could find it now! shocked It was comments of yours on these verses, where you appeared to take the text as literally meaning contrition is the basis of forgiveness without needing the prescribed sacrifice David is alluding to.

I'm sure I've never said this. For one thing, it's too vague.

Quote:
(David)16For Thou desirest not sacrifice, else would I give it; Thou delightest not in burnt offering.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.

C:What is your view then of these verses on whether they dipense with the sacrifices God asks for, to be offered by his people by faith in promise of the Messiah, or is David merely saying that there is no power of God in the form of religion which lacks that contrite heart?

Remind me of your interpretation, please?

Yes to the underlined portion.

Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!