HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,661
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (daylily, ProdigalOne, dedication, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113881
05/31/09 12:37 AM
05/31/09 12:37 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I'm sorry Tom -- but you are very hard to discuss anything with.

If you make baseless assertions, I suppose I am difficult, because I'll keep asking for evidence and quotes.

Quote:
T:I just pointed out something which was affirmed which is not true. It's not true that to experience newness of life that one must have a certain point of view of the atonement. She expressed things in an Anselmian way (regardless of whether or not she was aware of this) and I'm saying that there are many Christians who do not agree with Anselm's formulation, who, nevertheless experience newness of life.

D:You cry FOUL -- yet that statement you made above is foul-- you weren't "just pointing out something" --
You have been challenging the whole concept of the SUBSTITUTIONARY death of Christ all along.

You just keep doing over and over and over again the very thing I'm asking you not to do, which is to make accusations with no evidence. Where I have challeneged the whole concept of the subsituationary death of Christ?

I've affirmed several times that I agree with the substitutionary death of Christ. I quoted Fundamental Belief #9, which affirms this, and said I agree with it. I quoted the following from "The Desire of Ages."

Quote:
Christ was treated as we deserve, that we might be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His. "With His stripes we are healed." (DA 25)

I don't understand why you think it's OK to assert I'm saying things that are the exact opposite of what I myself am asserting. Can you please explain that to me?

I also don't understand why, when I keep asking you not to make baseless accusations, but to actually quote things that I've said, that you continue to do the very thing I'm asking you not to do. Don't you think asking someone to provide evidence for what they are asserting is reasonable? Would you like it if I did to you what you're doing to me?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113882
05/31/09 12:54 AM
05/31/09 12:54 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Quote:
Quote:
D:Justification includes forgiveness but goes beyond it.

T:I think justification and forgiveness are one and the same thing.

(EGW)Pardon and justification are one and the same thing. (6 SDABC 1070)

T:Unless you wish to argue that "pardon" is not the same thing as "forgiveness," the above quote establishes my point.

D:But Ellen White includes the greater part I was referring to, thus Justification is more than forgiveness:

"To be pardoned in the way that Christ pardons is not only to be forgiven, but to be renewed in the spirit of our mind. The Lord says, "A new heart will I give unto thee." The image of Christ is to be stamped upon the very mind, and heart, and soul. The apostle says, "And we have the mind of Christ."

T: Ok, so you're saying (or would agree) with the following?:

a.Justification and pardon are one and the same.
b.Pardon is more than forgiveness.
c.Therefore justification is more than forgiveness.

i have come to understand ellen white to use "forgive", in these cases, the same as cleanse.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113884
05/31/09 02:32 AM
05/31/09 02:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In Scripture, "forgiveness" has the idea of bearing away. The concept appears here in the SOP:

Quote:
Notwithstanding our unworthiness, we are ever to bear in mind that there is One that can take away sin and save the sinner. Every sin acknowledged before God with a contrite heart, He will remove.(TM 93)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113886
05/31/09 03:23 AM
05/31/09 03:23 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
A long post --
To meet Tom's demands why I believe he denies the substitutionary death and blood of Christ.

My earlier posts explained:

Upon Christ as our substitute and surety was laid the iniquity of us all. He was counted a transgressor, that He might redeem us from the condemnation of the law.
The law -- God's moral law -- demands the death of the transgressor.
Without the shed blood of Christ, the law is only an instrument declaring that we deserve death, for we have transgressed that law.

Jesus' blood is the central theme of the entire Word of God, from the blood of Abel's slain lamb to the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) in Revelation 7:14. Hebrews 9:22 declares that there is NO remission of sins without the shedding of Christ's blood. The blood of Jesus is the ONLY way for our sins to be forgiven...
"When we accept Christ and join Him in baptism, we die inwardly to this sinful kingdom. Yet that death depends entirely on Christ's sacrificial death upon the cross as Christ takes upon Himself our "old man of sin" and it is nailed on the cross with Him.

Our connection to Christ and His sacrifice is so real that it carries "our old man" to the very cross of Christ in a spiritual crucifixion that kills our old selfish self and we are BORN AGAIN, raised to newness of life WITH CHRIST!
Let's look at a text from 1 Peter 2:24 [Christ] Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

What does all this mean?

Christ took OUR SIN, OUR SINFUL NATURE, upon Himself, upon His sinless nature, and died. What does that mean to us?
Brothers and sisters - it means because HE died to our sin, we died to sin. Therefore it is apparent that our dying to sin is not something we do, but something Christ has done, and is something that is accounted to all who are united with Him!

6:11 Likewise reckon (or account) ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

We are indeed to reckon-- consider -- ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ.”

"We being enemies"
this shows the rebellious nature of sin, and
echoes Paul's former phrase. "while we were yet sinners"
Our natural enmity toward God's law and righteousness, our sin, our ungodliness placed us in a position where we deserved nothing but wrath -- God owed us nothing.
But Christ taking our sins upon Himself, and dying in our place changed our status.

Originally Posted By: tom
Tom: In what way? You point out later that God had no need to be reconciled to us (agreed!), so what changed must be something that happened to us, right? So how did Christ's taking our sins upon Himself and dying in our place change us?

God didn’t need reconciliation as in CHANGING His status He loved mankind.
But without the cross we were lost, out of favor with God, deserving only death.
His “loving us” is not the same as us “being in favor” or “being justified”.
He had to do something in the legal sense to effect the legal justification.
Originally Posted By: Tom
I'm having more difficulty understanding your idea that dying to sin is not something that we need to do.

By constantly lifting this portion out of it's context gave it the wrong meaning.

But --
Are you dead to sin?
If we must wait till there is absolutely no pull of sin in our lives before we can "reckon ourselves dead to sin" we will drown in the mire of despondancy of Romans 7.

Obviously you are having trouble understanding the substitutionary death of Christ that enables us to “reckon or count ourselves as dead to sin” and as cleansed and justified and renewed to live a new life in Christ. Reread the first part as see HOW it is we die to sin – for yes, we die to sin THROUGH Christ.

I disagree just as much with the statement that dying to sin is not something we do as with the statement dying to sin is not something we need to do, and for the same reason, which reason I pointed out.

See, you are simply NOT reading what I wrote, yet you complain that I misunderstand you???
Originally Posted By: colin

OTOH, do you believe in Christ's substitutionary death to & for sin for us, or just his demonstration of love to persuade us to believe?

On the other hand of what? I think you mean, "additionally."

Regarding the question, it looks like both sides of the "or" have problems. Christ's substitutionary death for us is fine, but His substitutionary death to and for sin doesn't make sense to me, especially that "to" part (I can see that "substitutionary death for sin" could mean "substitutionary death because of sin -- although I think "substitutionary death for us" would have covered that -- but I don't know what "substitutionary death to sin" would mean).

What kind of answer was that – definitely not agreeing that Christ took the penalty for our sins and died in our place. It’s greatly muddying the waters with evasion on what “substituting death” means.
Originally Posted By: colin
do you believe in Christ's substitutionary death to & for sin for us, or just his demonstration of love to persuade us to believe? Justification is rebirth from death to sin, both by faith in Christ..

Both what? You say "justification is" something, and then say "both" by faith in Christ, although there's only one subject mentioned, "justification."

Because you don’t see Christ’s death to our sins as our death to sin which enables us to be alive in Christ, you don’t see the two points Colin made.
1. Justification for our sin (as in taking our penalty for sin—the legal aspect)
2. Justification to our sin (as in dying our death TO sin, which is the cleansing and renewal we experience in Him by faith and allows us to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ to live for Him)
I've stated many times I believe Christ died as our substitute. I just don't believe this means what Anselm or Calvin had in mind. …Regarding Christ's dying to sin for us, if you mean "for" as in "for our sake" or/and "so that we could follow in His footsteps and do the same" I agree with that.

Still no acknowledgement that Christ took our sins, our sinful human nature upon His sinless nature and died in our place, taking our punishment that we might be freed from the penalty of death, which no amount of following the law could save us from.
The Ty Gibson quote (which I won’t reproduce here) does say Christ is our substitute but only in that he suffered the results of sin, -- (i.e sin naturally leads to death) not the penalty of sin. Which again, in my understanding places even the “substitution” concept into the realm of “a demonstration” rather than an actual taking our penalty so His blood could cover our sins.
God doesn't need blood in order to be able to forgive. It is we who need the blood, not God. When Jesus met the paralytic, He forgave his sins. He didn't need blood to be able to do so.

This is a clear denial that Christ’s blood is needed to cover our sins.
Christ was delivered for OUR TRANSGRESSIONS. They are not called merely sins, but transgressions. This puts it into the "legal" realm -- we transgress against God's law -- a law that demands death if transgressed. Transgression cannot be forgiven without setting aside the law.

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:
All sins forgiven prior to the cross rested totally upon the promise of Christ's sacrificial death in the future.
Then came several posts in which Tom tried to demonstrate that Lucifer, if he repented and submitted to God, won’t need any atonement made for him but would merely be “forgiven”. I pointed out that was building an argument on silence.
There's a lot more evidence that this way of understanding Paul is incorrect. I'll mention two historical points. First of all, the idea of sacrifice you are suggesting simply did not exist in the time of Christ.
And that is another assumption. The sacrificial system clearly portrayed the need of a perfect substitute to take the sins and be killed. I quoted several texts to show this.
Present any evidence at all that the Jews *ever* had the understanding of the sacrifices that Anselm had. Or anyone else for that matter. This way of understanding sacrifices simply didn't exist in the time of Paul, anywhere in the world.
I didn’t say they did. I said the sacrificial system clearly portrayed the need of a perfect substitute to take the sins of the sinner and be killed.
Also your constant referral to Anselm is doing what you get very upset about when people do to you. Why should I show anything as Anselm understood it?
Usually this is the argument that people give to "prove" the propitiation idea. Something like, "Scripture says, 'Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin,' therefore God needs to have Christ die in order to be able to forgive us." .. The idea that God's wrath has to be propitiated in order that we may have forgiveness finds no warrant in the Bible."

God’s wrath against sin does need to be understood. But as I said earlier, His wrath is not like human wrath – yet people who disagree with the substitutional death of Christ (as in taking our sins and suffering the punishment -- not just natural results) tend to attribute HUMAN type of wrath to God and then dismiss it as not warranted.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113887
05/31/09 03:55 AM
05/31/09 03:55 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
one of the problems is our ignorance of just how the penal-substitute view is seen by churches that believe in an eternally burning hell. to some degree, depending on the person, it is also in the adventist church. i know because ive heard them talk about it. at one time i also saw God as a pretty hateful Person, just waiting to punish for whatever reason.

Quote:
One of the foremost problems with the western church today is that people understand what Jesus came to accomplish in legal terms. God is viewed as an austere and angry judge who wants to send us to hell, we are seen as guilty defendants deserving of hell, and Jesus is viewed as our defense attorney who wants to find a way to “get us off the hook” from going to hell. So he works out an arrangement whereby the Judge gets to vent his wrath, receiving full payment for sin, yet the guilty defendants are freed from their eternal sentence.

when we really understand this, that people do see God as angry with them, that people feel far from God, then we can understand better the writings of some of our brethern that we are now finding issue with.

Last edited by teresaq; 05/31/09 03:59 AM. Reason: to add comment

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113888
05/31/09 04:49 AM
05/31/09 04:49 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Originally Posted By: dedication
Ps. 32:1 "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered."

Covered by what?
What is it that covers those sins?
It is Christ's blood.
Now, please don't go extremely literalistic, no, Christ does not have "a pot of His blood" as you mentioned earlier when countering me. But it is still the blood of Christ that is necessary to cover those sins.

Which means what? Which means what? You just keep repeating a phrase which you admit should not be taken literally, without explaining what you mean by the phrase. That doesn't communicate anything.

Quote:
It is with His blood that Christ entered the heavenly sanctuary in order to "cover" our sins.

I didn't say it was not to be taken literally, I said don't go to extreme literal interpretations.

Christ's blood covers our sins. It is the blood of Christ that stands between the wrath against sin and the contrite sinner.

Originally Posted By: from EGW
"The ark that enshrines the tables of the law is covered with the mercy seat, before which Christ pleads His blood in the sinner's behalf. Thus is represented the union of justice and mercy in the plan of human redemption. . . . {AG 69.2}

" By the offering of blood, the sinner acknowledged the authority of the law, confessed his guilt in transgression, and expressed his desire for pardon through faith in a Redeemer to come; but he was not yet entirely released from the condemnation of the law. On the day of atonement the high priest, having taken an offering from the congregation, went into the most holy place with the blood of this offering, and sprinkled it upon the mercy-seat, directly over the law, to make satisfaction for its claims.{GC 420

Our position is like that of the Israelites on the Day of Atonement. When the High Priest entered the most holy place, representing the place where our High Priest is now pleading, and sprinkled the atoning blood upon the mercy seat, no propitiatory sacrifices were offered without. While the priest was interceding with God, every heart was to be bowed in contrition, pleading for the pardon of transgression.--The Signs of the Times, June 28, 1899.

The sinner could not come in his own person, with his guilt upon him, and with no greater merit then he possessed in himself. Christ alone could open the way, by making an offering equal to the demands of the divine law. He was perfect, and undefiled by sin. He was without spot or blemish. --The Review and Herald, Dec. 17, 1872.

Few have a real understanding that our great High Priest presents before the Father His own blood, claiming for the sinner who receives Him as his personal Saviour all the graces which His covenant embraces as the reward of His sacrifice. Manuscript 92, 1899. {7ABC 484.7}

Jesus stands before the Father, continually offering a sacrifice for the sins of the world. He is the minister of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man....because of the continual commission of sin, the atoning sacrifice of a heavenly Mediator is essential. Jesus, our great high priest, officiates for us in the presence of God, offering in our behalf His shed blood.-- The Youth's Instructor, April 16, 1903.

Fallen men could not have a home in the paradise of God without the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Shall we not then exalt the cross of Christ?--The Signs of the Times, Dec. 30, 1889.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113889
05/31/09 04:57 AM
05/31/09 04:57 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
D:A long post --
To meet Tom's demands why I believe he denies the substitutionary death and blood of Christ......

Quote:
T:I disagree just as much with the statement that dying to sin is not something we do as with the statement dying to sin is not something we need to do, and for the same reason, which reason I pointed out.

D:See, you are simply NOT reading what I wrote, yet you complain that I misunderstand you???

What? I don't understand you.

You said that dying to sin is not something we do. The SOP says:

Quote:
The sinner has lived in sin; he must die to sin, and live a new life of holiness to God. Paul wrote to the Colossians: "Ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God."The apostle here refers to the death to sin, the death of the carnal mind, and not to the death of the body.(Bible Echo and Signs of the Times, January 15, 1889)

So dying to sin is something we do.

We've been through all this.

I think you said basically you weren't denying this (what the SOP says above, that we must die to sin), that you were talking about something else. I dropped this a long time ago. I don't know why it keeps coming back up.

If you wish to insist that dying to sin is not something that we do, I'll disagree with that, as clearly it is something we do. If you explain that you weren't talking about this in the sense that the SOP is here is this quote, then fine, that ends the discussion of this issue.

Colin was taking me to task because I inserted the words "need to" in quoting you, a slip on my part, but one which I don't see that changes anything an iota. If you wish to assert that dying to sin is not something we do, or dying to sin is not something we need to do, I'll disagree to both these statements, and for the same reason. It is both something we do, and something we need to do.

Now it should be obvious that my asserting this is not denying Christ's substitutionary death, as Ellen White asserts the same thing.

I'm not understanding the difficulty here.

Quote:
T:Regarding the question, it looks like both sides of the "or" have problems. Christ's substitutionary death for us is fine, but His substitutionary death to and for sin doesn't make sense to me, especially that "to" part (I can see that "substitutionary death for sin" could mean "substitutionary death because of sin -- although I think "substitutionary death for us" would have covered that -- but I don't know what "substitutionary death to sin" would mean).

What kind of answer was that – definitely not agreeing that Christ took the penalty for our sins and died in our place. It’s greatly muddying the waters with evasion on what “substituting death” means.

Did you notice the underlined part? You see that all along I have been affirming Christ's substitutionary death. You've going to have a real hard time "proving" I don't believe in something I believe in, and which I've been asserting all along.

Regarding what kind of question it is, there were some things I had questions about, which I pointed out, and which questions were not addressed. Asking questions about something that is not understood shouldn't be twisted into making some sort of pronouncement. If you'll look at what I said, it was that certain things didn't make sense to me.

Quote:
C:do you believe in Christ's substitutionary death to & for sin for us, or just his demonstration of love to persuade us to believe? Justification is rebirth from death to sin, both by faith in Christ..

T:Both what? You say "justification is" something, and then say "both" by faith in Christ, although there's only one subject mentioned, "justification."

D:Because you don’t see Christ’s death to our sins as our death to sin which enables us to be alive in Christ, you don’t see the two points Colin made.
1. Justification for our sin (as in taking our penalty for sin—the legal aspect)
2. Justification to our sin (as in dying our death TO sin, which is the cleansing and renewal we experience in Him by faith and allows us to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ to live for Him)

I don't think you understand Colin's position on this, and if you did, I don't think you would agree with it. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Ask him to explain how he understands Romans 5:12-18, and see if you agree. Let's settle this first before you start taking me to task for questioning something you don't even agree with.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be the first to admit it. Even so, this is in no way me denying Christ's substitutionary death, but is me simply trying to clarify a sentence by Colin that didn't make sense to me.

It seems like you're trying to be a mind-reader. Trying to guess why I'm asking questions is no way to prove a point.

If you want to demonstrate that I don't believe in the substitutionary death of Christ, find some direct statement I've written saying that. So far all you've presented is me asking clarifying questions regarding statements that I wasn't understanding.

Quote:
Still no acknowledgement that Christ took our sins, our sinful human nature upon His sinless nature and died in our place, taking our punishment that we might be freed from the penalty of death, which no amount of following the law could save us from.

You're trying to show I don't believe in the substitutionary death of Christ. To do so, you need to show some statement I made to that effect. The fact that I didn't say something doesn't demonstrate anything. I could just as easily claim you believe the moon is made of green cheese because you didn't say it wasn't.

I've said a couple of times now that I agree completely with Fundamental Belief #9, which I quoted. Is this not sufficient?

Quote:
The Ty Gibson quote (which I won’t reproduce here) does say Christ is our substitute but only in that he suffered the results of sin, -- (i.e sin naturally leads to death) not the penalty of sin. Which again, in my understanding places even the “substitution” concept into the realm of “a demonstration” rather than an actual taking our penalty so His blood could cover our sins.

Nothing of what you're saying in the least bit demonstrates that I don't believe in the substitutionary death of Christ. I've asserted I do, I've quoted Fundamental Beliefs #9, which speaks to the subsitutionary death of Christ, and said I agree with it, and I've quoted from "The Desire of Ages" which speaks to this theme, and said I agree with that too. I don't understand why you don't think this is sufficient.

Quote:
T:God doesn't need blood in order to be able to forgive. It is we who need the blood, not God. When Jesus met the paralytic, He forgave his sins. He didn't need blood to be able to do so.

D:This is a clear denial that Christ’s blood is needed to cover our sins.

This has me completely baffled. It is in no way a denial that Christ's blood is needed to cover our sins. The only way you could jump to a conclusion like this is to make the assumption that "Christ blood is needed to cover our sins" means "God needs blood to be able to pardon." But the fact that you make such an assumption does not mean *I'm* making that assumption. The fact that the phrase "Christ blood is need to cover our sins" means something specific to you does not mean it must mean that thing for every other person on Planet Earth. It certainly doesn't mean that to me.

That I disagree with you as to the meaning of a phrase doesn't mean I disagree with the phrase. If you wish to assert, "This is a clear denial of what Dedication understands 'Christ's blood is needed to cover our sins,' to mean " I could be convinced of that, but what you're asserting, as I understand that phrase, is 100% false.

I believe, absolutely, that Christ's blood is needed to cover our sins. If you will recall, *Colin* claimed it was unBiblical to assert that Christ (or Christ's blood, I don't remember the exact wording) is an atonement for sin. I was arguing against Colin on this point, and quoted the SOP to support my position that "atonement for sin" was Biblical, and pointed out that Fundamental Beliefs #5 uses the same language.

I've also suggested "covering" as the meaning for the word "hilasmos" in 1 John 2:2.

So, to be clear, I believe that Christ's blood is needed to cover our sins, and, far from denying this, I affirm it.

Regarding your understanding of Galatians 3:13, I think you're off base. I agree with Waggoner's interpretation. In reading Luther's commentary on Galatians, it appears, on a quick reading, that I agree with him as well. Actually, what Luther wrote on this (Gal. 3:13) seems very similar to what Waggoner wrote.

What Waggoner wrote can be seen here: http://www.crcbermuda.com/bible/righteou...sing-of-abraham

Quote:
T:There's a lot more evidence that this way of understanding Paul is incorrect. I'll mention two historical points. First of all, the idea of sacrifice you are suggesting simply did not exist in the time of Christ.

D:And that is another assumption. The sacrificial system clearly portrayed the need of a perfect substitute to take the sins and be killed. I quoted several texts to show this.

First of all, this isn't the point I was disputing. The point I'm disputing is the idea that the sacrifice was necessary in order for God to be able to pardon sin.

Secondly, it's not an assumption. It's historical fact. This is what scholars have ascertained who have studied Paul's time and culture (see, for example, "In Search of Paul"). If you wish to dispute this historical finding, you can do so by producing some statement by someone in some culture at the time of Paul who has the understanding of sacrifice that it was necessary in order for God to be able to pardon. Quoting scripture and reading into it your own understanding of sacrifice doesn't count. Any contemporary statement (contemporary to Paul) by a Jew, or anyone else in the world, will do, however.

Quote:
I didn’t say they did. I said the sacrificial system clearly portrayed the need of a perfect substitute to take the sins of the sinner and be killed.
Also your constant referral to Anselm is doing what you get very upset about when people do to you. Why should I show anything as Anselm understood it?

Because this is the point of disagreement! What I'm disagreeing with is the assertion that God cannot pardon sin without a sacrifice. Anselm developed this idea. That this is the case can be seen in the fact that the Eastern Orthodox church does not have this point of view. They don't have this point of view because they split from the Roman Catholic church before Anselm developed it.

They (the Eastern Orthodox church) have argued this point for centuries. They argue that if if the church fathers had had this understanding regarding the death of Christ, that they would have had it too. But they don't have it because it was developed by Anselm.

Quote:
God’s wrath against sin does need to be understood. But as I said earlier, His wrath is not like human wrath – yet people who disagree with the substitutional death of Christ (as in taking our sins and suffering the punishment -- not just natural results) tend to attribute HUMAN type of wrath to God and then dismiss it as not warranted.

This is another example of an accusation with no evidence. Actually, there's two accusations here with no evidence. First of all, you speak of those who "disagree with the substitutional death of Christ." Please provide some evidence that that those you are referring to actually disagree with what you're claiming to disagree.

Secondly you claim these people tend to attribute human type of wrath to God, and then dismiss it. Please provide some evidence that this is the case.

In your whole entire post there is not one shred of evidence that I deny the substitutionary death and blood of Christ. Indeed, you presented evidence that I *don't* deny it by quoting me affirming I believe it.

So, once again, please stop making this accusation.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: Tom] #113890
05/31/09 05:11 AM
05/31/09 05:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I didn't say it was not to be taken literally, I said don't go to extreme literal interpretations.

Either a thing is literal or it's not. "Literal" means "adhering to fact or to the ordinary construction or primary meaning of a term or expression."

I take it you disagree with the idea that Christ's blood literally covers our sins.

Quote:
Christ's blood covers our sins.

Which means what? Since you don't mean this literally, an explanation should be provided. I keep asking for one, but you just keep repeating the same thing with no explanation.

Quote:
It is the blood of Christ that stands between the wrath against sin and the contrite sinner.

Which means what? This statement makes no more sense taken literally than the others you've been asserting.

Please say something which has meaning that doesn't have to be divined.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: teresaq] #113891
05/31/09 05:33 AM
05/31/09 05:33 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: teresaq
one of the problems is our ignorance of just how the penal-substitute view is seen by churches that believe in an eternally burning hell. to some degree, depending on the person, it is also in the adventist church. i know because ive heard them talk about it. at one time i also saw God as a pretty hateful Person, just waiting to punish for whatever reason.

I agree that grave misunderstandings are in popular circulation. Especially the doctrine of eternal hell is a devilish slander against God.

I also agree that this picture of God just waiting to condemn is totally wrong -- He is long-suffering and patient "not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9 All heaven is interested in our salvation.

But too often we, in our humanness, tend to swing too far the other way when combating error.

God is just, and fair,
This is seen in who is actually to be our judge?

John 5:22 For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment unto the Son:
5:27 And has given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Jesus goes on to explain that He and the Father are in perfect agreement on this judgment. and He states, " my judgment is just;" 5:30

So the "Lamb that was slain" and Who is declared "worthy" to take the scroll because He was slain and redeemed us to God by His blood in Rev. 5, is also the One to execute judgment.

Romans 14:10 we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

The same one Who died to save mankind, will execute judgment.

It's true that misconcepts have caused a lot of people to think that justice and love are opposites, but God's love perfectly combines justice and love.

Re: Justifiction, sanctification and the Grace of God [Re: dedication] #113893
05/31/09 06:18 AM
05/31/09 06:18 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Tom, I'm going to refrain from discussing anything with you.
It is totally counterproductive.

All you did above was reiterate what you said before. Which to me is denying what you say you don't deny by changing the meaning of the terms, then saying you believe them, even though in the next key stroke you deny them, but still maintain you believe them.

Sure you say you believe "in the substitutionary death" but your comments show you don't really. If you did you won't be making such strange remarks like "Jesus with a pot of blood" which to me is a mockery of Christ's substitutionary death and the blood shed for the forgiveness of our sins.

If you really believed in the substitutional death of Christ you would understand what Romans 6 has to say about Christ dying to sin for us that we might reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive in Christ. But no...

While being extremely demanding for your own honor, you continually misrepresent what I was trying to share. While demanding that you not be linked with any "theory" etc. you continually accuse me of following some Anselm or hellenistic thought. Then turn around and say Paul didn't mean what he said because some historians said such and such. And then ask questions that don't even make sense, because you won't accept Christ's substitutionary death and blood that was shed to cover our sins so we won't have to die because of them. Telling me the mere concept is "not communicating" anything. And then turn around and insist you do believe when everything you said before shows you don't.

Anyway -- I won't address you again.
The Bible tells us not to get involved with this type of contention. It does not edify anyone.

I started this thread hoping for a meaningful discussion on justification and how we can live a victorious Christian life in Christ by grace, but that was not to be.

Page 17 of 30 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!