HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,658
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117156
08/05/09 07:29 PM
08/05/09 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
Yes, self-sufficiency is a huge part of the OC. And it has no part in the NC. The purpose of the OC was to help the COI to understand and appreciate the NC. “Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant.” {PP 371.4}

There are two different things going on her. Actually three. The first thing is that God offered the people the same covenant as He made with Abraham. At the time He said to them, "If you will hear my voice, and obey My covenant ..." the Old Covenant didn't exist yet. Her referred to "My covenant," which is the Everlasting Covenant, the same covenant God made with Abraham, the only covenant in existence at this time.

This is thing 1.

The people then did thing 2, which was to respond in unbelief. To use Sister White's words, rather than accept the righteousness of Christ (i.e., accept thing 1) they sought to establish their own righteousness (thing 2, the Old Covenant, a bad thing, which leads to bondage).

This is thing 2.

Then God, being gracious as He is, met them where they were. If they would not keep step with Him, He would keep step with them. Instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ, they wanted to establish their own righteousness. They wanted to do things. So God gave them things to do. Things which would prepare them to accept the righteousness of Christ, which was His plan all along.

If we understand things this way, everything ties together.

Under the way you've been suggesting things, it seems like you have to throw out her endorsements of Waggoner. Waggoner's position seems utterly different to me than what you've been saying. She said Waggoner's position agreed with her own. It seems to me I'm being consistent, explaining things in a way which harmonizes with Scripture, Waggoner, and Ellen White. In your explanations, up to now, I'm seeing discrepancies.

Quote:
In the same way the 10Cs were given to help us better understand and appreciate the two great commandments, so too, the OC was given to help the COI to better understand and appreciate the NC.

The OC leads to bondage. God wouldn't give something that leads to bondage.

The OC is faulty. God wouldn't give something which is faulty.

The OC involved establishing one's own righteousness instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ. God wouldn't give something based on that principle.

Also what you're suggesting completely disagrees with Waggoner's position, a position Ellen White said was a waste of "investigative powers" to argue against.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117193
08/06/09 02:23 PM
08/06/09 02:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: And, in response to the title of this thread, I am saying, no, the OC and it's laws was not intended only for the COI, that there are aspects of it that are still binding today, things still worth imitating.

T: This is really too vague, I think, to be too helpful. For example, Moses said to love the Lord our God with all our heart, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. That's obviously a good thing. There are many other examples like that. Deuteronomy has many things like that. However, this isn't the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant leads to bondage. It was founded on faulty promises (the promises of the people). It is not needed in the face of the New Covenant, which is Paul's point in saying that which is old is fading away etc.

The New Covenant is all we need. Accepting Jesus Christ's righteousness, and having the law written in the heart, as opposed to going about to establish our own righteousness and having the law written on stone.

You wrote, "Deuteronomy has many things like that. However, this isn't the Old Covenant." If the COI had not been so needy and faulty it is very likely God would not have shared such minute details with Moses, details that are "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified". In fact, if A&E had not sinned God probably would not have increased the two great commandments to ten commandments. In the beginning it came as a surprise to the angels that there was a law.

So, yes, I agree with you that that part of the OC which involved the COI promising to obey, in their own unaided strength, everything God commanded is not to be imitated under the NC. However, everything else about the OC (i.e. everything God commanded the COI to do) still applies today in principle if not in particular. I suspect you agree with this.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117196
08/06/09 04:07 PM
08/06/09 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Yes, self-sufficiency is a huge part of the OC. And it has no part in the NC. The purpose of the OC was to help the COI to understand and appreciate the NC. “Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant.” {PP 371.4} In the same way the 10Cs were given to help us better understand and appreciate the two great commandments, so too, the OC was given to help the COI to better understand and appreciate the NC.

T: There are two different things going on her. Actually three. The first thing is that God offered the people the same covenant as He made with Abraham. At the time He said to them, "If you will hear my voice, and obey My covenant ..." the Old Covenant didn't exist yet. Her referred to "My covenant," which is the Everlasting Covenant, the same covenant God made with Abraham, the only covenant in existence at this time.

This is thing 1.

The people then did thing 2, which was to respond in unbelief. To use Sister White's words, rather than accept the righteousness of Christ (i.e., accept thing 1) they sought to establish their own righteousness (thing 2, the Old Covenant, a bad thing, which leads to bondage).

This is thing 2.

Then God, being gracious as He is, met them where they were. If they would not keep step with Him, He would keep step with them. Instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ, they wanted to establish their own righteousness. They wanted to do things. So God gave them things to do. Things which would prepare them to accept the righteousness of Christ, which was His plan all along.

If we understand things this way, everything ties together.

Under the way you've been suggesting things, it seems like you have to throw out her endorsements of Waggoner. Waggoner's position seems utterly different to me than what you've been saying. She said Waggoner's position agreed with her own. It seems to me I'm being consistent, explaining things in a way which harmonizes with Scripture, Waggoner, and Ellen White. In your explanations, up to now, I'm seeing discrepancies.

Let’s consider the following insights:

Quote:
To [Abraham] was given the rite of circumcision, which was a sign that those who received it were devoted to the service of God—a pledge that they would remain separate from idolatry, and would obey the law of God. The failure of Abraham's descendants to keep this pledge, as shown in their disposition to form alliances with the heathen and adopt their practices, was the cause of their sojourn and bondage in Egypt. But in their intercourse with idolaters, and their forced submission to the Egyptians, the divine precepts became still further corrupted with the vile and cruel teachings of heathenism. Therefore when the Lord brought them forth from Egypt, He came down upon Sinai, enshrouded in glory and surrounded by His angels, and in awful majesty spoke His law in the hearing of all the people. {PP 363.2}

He did not even then trust His precepts to the memory of a people who were prone to forget His requirements, but wrote them upon tables of stone. He would remove from Israel all possibility of mingling heathen traditions with His holy precepts, or of confounding His requirements with human ordinances or customs. But He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded. Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

1. “. . . a pledge that they would remain separate from idolatry, and would obey the law of God.” This is the original Abrahamic Covenant pledge. It involved pledging to obey the law of God.

2. “Therefore when the Lord brought them forth from Egypt, He came down upon Sinai, enshrouded in glory and surrounded by His angels, and in awful majesty spoke His law in the hearing of all the people.” God took it upon Himself to express His law in the hearing of the COI.

3. “He did not even then trust His precepts to the memory of a people who were prone to forget His requirements, but wrote them upon tables of stone.” God took it upon Himself to write His law on two tables of stone. He did so to prevent them from forgetting the details and mingling in heathen ways.

4. “But He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded.” God took it upon Himself to give them further details concerning the law. He did so to prevent them from misunderstanding the law and mingling in heathen ways.

5. “Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone.” Again, God took it upon Himself to give them minute details, details which amplified His will for them so that none need err in understanding what God wanted them to do. He gave them such minute details to guard the sacredness of the law, and to guide in their path.

Quote:
If man had kept the law of God, as given to Adam after his fall, preserved by Noah, and observed by Abraham, there would have been no necessity for the ordinance of circumcision. And if the descendants of Abraham had kept the covenant . . . there would have been no necessity for it to be proclaimed from Sinai or engraved upon the tables of stone. And had the people practiced the principles of the Ten Commandments, there would have been no need of the additional directions given to Moses. {PP 364.2}

But if the Abrahamic covenant contained the promise of redemption, why was another covenant formed at Sinai? In their bondage the people had to a great extent lost the knowledge of God and of the principles of the Abrahamic covenant. . . He had bound them to Himself as their deliverer from temporal bondage. {PP 371.2}

But there was a still greater truth to be impressed upon their minds. Living in the midst of idolatry and corruption, they had no true conception of the holiness of God, of the exceeding sinfulness of their own hearts, their utter inability, in themselves, to render obedience to God's law, and their need of a Saviour. All this they must be taught. {PP 371.3}

God brought them to Sinai; He manifested His glory; He gave them His law, with the promise of great blessings on condition of obedience: "If ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation." Exodus 19:5, 6. The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7. They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with God, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenant and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. Now by faith and love they were bound to God as their deliverer from the bondage of sin. Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant. {PP 371.4}

The terms of the "old covenant" were, Obey and live: "If a man do, he shall even live in them" (Ezekiel 20:11; Leviticus 18:5); but "cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them." Deuteronomy 27:26. {PP 372.1}

1. “All this they must be taught.” God knew the COI were in no position to understand the things necessary to live in harmony with the conditions of the NC. They must be taught how. The first thing they needed to know was what God required of them. So, the first thing Jesus did was He repeated the law in thunderous tones.

2. "If ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation." Here, as you say, Jesus is reconfirming the NC.

3. "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." This is the same pledge Abraham made when Jesus reconfirmed the NC with him. There is nothing wrong with the words. The intent and motive is what matters. “This is the pledge that God's people are to make in these last days. Their acceptance with God depends on a faithful fulfillment of the terms of their agreement with Him. God includes in His covenant all who will obey Him. To all who will do justice and judgment, keeping their hand from doing any evil, the promise is, "Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off" (Isa. 56:5). {AG 142.3}

4. “They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken . . .” The incident involving the golden calf was not the first time they broke the NC. They had been breaking it all their lives. Breaking it was nothing new. But breaking it so soon after pledging to keep it made them realize how dependent they are upon God to keep it.

5. “Now they were prepared to appreciate the blessings of the new covenant.” Breaking the NC made them appreciate it, namely, it caused them to realize the truth about their sinful state and their need of God to help them obey.

6. In response to their new state of mind (i.e. knowing they are sinful and cannot obey the law without divine aid), Jesus gives to Moses minute details, “judgments and laws” and “ritual laws” and commands them to obey and observe them faithfully, telling them that their future success as a nation and as a person depends on it. Again,, these minute details are “only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified” and, as such, are not in contradiction to the NC.

In essence, the OC is the NC amplified. The faith and dependence required to live in harmony with the laws (i.e. moral and sacrificial) of the NC is the same faith and dependence required to obey and observe the additional laws and rituals required under the OC. In fact, it was impossible to obey the NC without obeying and observing the laws and rituals required under the OC.

Quote:
M: In the same way the 10Cs were given to help us better understand and appreciate the two great commandments, so too, the OC was given to help the COI to better understand and appreciate the NC.

T: The OC leads to bondage. God wouldn't give something that leads to bondage. The OC is faulty. God wouldn't give something which is faulty. The OC involved establishing one's own righteousness instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ. God wouldn't give something based on that principle. Also what you're suggesting completely disagrees with Waggoner's position, a position Ellen White said was a waste of "investigative powers" to argue against.

Yes, in one sense the conditions of OC caused a kind of bondage. Having to obey and observe some of those rites and rituals was terribly inconvenient. It was a major relief not to have to observe them after Jesus died and ascended to heaven. It is very clear, though, that God commanded the COI to obey and observe all the laws and rituals He required at Sinai. He expected them to obey and observe them. Capital punishment was penalty for disobedience. He made blessing them as a nation and as a person conditional on faithfully obeying and observing them.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117197
08/06/09 04:49 PM
08/06/09 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: No, it's not, MM. God is not violent. He's not! Look at Jesus Christ, MM. He is the revelation of God. Where do you see violence in Him? The only way violence can be a part of the the moral law, is if it's inherent in God's character, because the moral law is a transcript of God's character. I asked you to consider the Sermon on the Mount, but you didn't. Please consider the life and teachings of Christ. This is where the truth about God is most clearly revealed. Ellen White said this very thing, and it's true. Jesus Christ is the image of God.

M: Amen! Jesus is kind and loving and not willing that any should perish. He is loathe to punish sinners. I am in total agreement. However, the Bible is full of examples of God causing or commanding or permitting death and destruction. Therefore, we must address it.

T: I agree. And the way I address it is by pointing out what the Old Testament passages say has been misconstrued. I also suggest a way to correct this misunderstanding, which is to study the life and character of Jesus Christ, and be convinced that God is really like that.

You've taken a different tack. You deny that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son in His humanity. You've admitted you don't believe this. You think there are things about God which Jesus Christ did not reveal. You believe we need to supplement what Jesus Christ revealed in His humanity with what's written in the Old Testament.

I'm saying we need to understand the Old Testament in the light of what Jesus Christ lived and taught, and if we see discrepancies, we need to adjust our view of what happened in the Old Testament. You appear to me to be unwilling to do this, I think because you are convinced that your view of what happened in the Old Testament is correct. It seems to me we're going around in circles here. What do you think?

You wrote, “You deny that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son in His humanity. You've admitted you don't believe this.” Perhaps this why it seems like we are on a merry-go-round. The truth is, I do believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. It’s just that I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings. I seem recall you and I agreeing on this point. Is that true?

Quote:
M: Do you agree that the following passages say, among other things, that capital punishment "[illustrated and applied] the principles of the Ten Commandments", that it is "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"?

That the obligations of the Decalogue might be more fully understood and enforced, additional precepts were given, illustrating and applying the principles of the Ten Commandments. These laws were called judgments, both because they were framed in infinite wisdom and equity and because the magistrates were to give judgment according to them. . . Manstealing, deliberate murder, and rebellion against parental authority were to be punished with death. {PP 310}

Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone. {PP 364.1}

I don’t see where you addressed this part of my post.

Quote:
M: Also, do you think Jesus was commanding the use of force and violence when He ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death?

T: I think the web site I referred you to gives a good explanation of what I think.

I read through it and didn’t see where the author specifically addressed this concern. If it’s there, please post it here. Thank you.

Quote:
M: You wrote, "Where do you see violence in Him?" "I asked you to consider the Sermon on the Mount, but you didn't." True, Jesus did not use force or violence to persuade people to do anything against their wishes.

T: He didn't use it for any other purpose either.

Why did you split this sentence off from the one following it? I say the very same thing. By splitting it off it gives the impression I didn’t say it.

Quote:
M: Amen! I'm glad He didn't. Of course, He never has, not even in the OT when He caused or commanded or permitted death and destruction.

T: He permitted death and destruction. Regarding the rest, you're simply assuming what you already believe to be true. I'm asking where you see what you believe to be true in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Your answer appears to be ... no answer.

True, not once did Jesus resort to the “withdraw and permit” principle of allowing death and destruction to happen while He was here in the flesh. We’ve been over this before and I thought we were in agreement on this point. However, He did teach it, that it He would in future resort to it. His confirmation that Jews and Jerusalem would alike perish is an example. Also, His doctrine regarding “weeping and gnashing of teeth” speak to it.

Quote:
M: Such things were designed to punish sinners not to persuade them to love and obey God.

T: So the idea is, "If you love and obey me, then I won't cause you to suffer or die." And you think this is good? This sort of thing should uplift one's view of God? Let me ask, where did Jesus Christ ever teach that if we don't love and obey Him that He will cause us to suffer and kill us? What of the following?

"There can be no more conclusive evidence that we possess the spirit of Satan than the disposition to hurt and destroy those who do not appreciate our work, or who act contrary to our ideas. (DA 487)

Please tell me how you don't perceive that causing people to suffer and killing them if they won't love and obey you is using compelling power.

You wrote, “So the idea is, ‘If you love and obey me, then I won't cause you to suffer or die.’” The Bible doesn’t express it in those terms. Instead, the idea is if you despise and reject the salvation wrought out for you at such great cost to God you will be punished and destroyed according to your words and works. Paul worded it this way:

Quote:
Hebrews
10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance [belongeth] unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
10:31 [It is] a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Paul isn’t using force or compelling power to push people into believing something they despise and reject. He is simply stating the truth. People deserve to know the truth.

Quote:
M: BTW, although Jesus did not employ the "withdraw and permit" principle, or cause or command death and destruction while He was here in the flesh, He did, nevertheless, teach the truth about such things, that circumstances would force Him, from time to time, to do such things again in the future.

T: It's amazing that in just one sentence you can elicit a lengthy reply to filter through all of this. So many premises to deal with.

1."Although Jesus did not employ the "withdraw and permit" principle ..." This is assuming there is such a thing as "employing a withdraw and permit principle." To say "employ" implies one is actively doing something. But the whole point of permitting is to deny this. So you are managing to imply the exact opposite of what is happening by your choice of words.

From the SOP: Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will.(GC 35)

Do you see the difference in how she put things from how you put them? She writes that they "caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them." That's a much better choice of words than yours, IMO! The principle you are denying was illustrated by Christ, was illustrated at the cross. It's the best possible illustration of the principle.

2. “. . . or cause or command death and destruction while He was here in the flesh”. This implies that Christ caused and commanded death and destruction while not here in the flesh. There are a number of problems with this idea.

3. “He did, nevertheless, teach the truth about such things . . .” This implies that the "truth" is that Christ caused and commanded death and destruction.

4.”. . . that circumstances would force Him, from time to time, to do such things again in the future.” This implies that Christ would be forced to cause death and destruction in the future.

1. You wrote, “To say ‘employ’ implies one is actively doing something.” I agree. Jesus actively works to prevent it, and He must actively work to permit it (otherwise, evil angels would disregard His established limits and cause more death and destruction than He is willing to permit).

You also wrote, “She writes that they ‘caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them.’” How do you envision this playing out? I doubt that you visualize them physically forcing God to stop preventing death and destruction from wiping them out, or physically forcing Him to permit it. But how do you see it playing out? Personally, I think God decides to employ the “withdraw and permit” principle when it suits His purposes. It is clear that He doesn’t do it every time circumstances warrant it. True, whenever He does employ it, it’s not because He is being arbitrary or capricious. No way. Instead, it’s because they have filled up their cup of iniquity, they have exhausted His mercy. Ellen White put it this way:

“With unerring accuracy the Infinite One still keeps account with the nations. While His mercy is tendered, with calls to repentance, this account remains open; but when the figures reach a certain amount which God has fixed, the ministry of His wrath begins. The account is closed. Divine patience ceases. Mercy no longer pleads in their behalf. {PK 364.1}

2/3. He did. The OT records them.

4. He will. He said so many times and in many places.

Quote:
T: So you seem to view Christ's life in the flesh, far from being a full and complete revelation of God, to be a sort of "hiccup," where Jesus was on His best behavior, as it were.

This begs the question, what was different about circumstances during His life while here in the flesh? That is, if Jesus Christ was forced to cause death and destruction both before and after His time with us in the flesh, why not during? That would have been more consistent, wouldn't it?

It's quite a coincidence that during the "hiccup," the one time where He was totally unconstrained and could "be Himself," He acted completely non-violently. Do you think it's possible that He was displaying His true nature? And that He has been misunderstood at other times?

We are told that Satan's goal is to misrepresent God's character, that this is how he wins homage to himself. Do you think it's possible he had been more successful at this than perhaps we have thought?

Normally I would say, Anything is possible, but in this case it isn’t true. Jesus came the first time to demonstrate to us how to live in harmony with the will of God. He did not come to punish us for despising and rejecting Him. However, He has promised that the second time He comes He will punish those who despise and reject Him. Listen:

Thus they overlooked those scriptures that point to the humiliation of Christ's first advent, and misapplied those that speak of the glory of His second coming. {DA 30.2} Between the first and the second advent of Christ a wonderful contrast will be seen. {LHU 373}

The Lord had told them that He would come the second time. . . Jesus declared to the listening disciples the judgments that were to fall upon apostate Israel, and especially the retributive vengeance that would come upon them for their rejection and crucifixion of the Messiah. {GC 25}

Matthew
24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Hebrews
9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
12:14 Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Revelation
6:15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
6:16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
6:17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Mountain Man] #117216
08/06/09 06:55 PM
08/06/09 06:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:You wrote, "Deuteronomy has many things like that. However, this isn't the Old Covenant." If the COI had not been so needy and faulty it is very likely God would not have shared such minute details with Moses, details that are "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified". In fact, if A&E had not sinned God probably would not have increased the two great commandments to ten commandments. In the beginning it came as a surprise to the angels that there was a law.

Right! This falls right in line with EGW's explanation in "The Law and The Covenants" in PP.

Quote:
So, yes, I agree with you that that part of the OC which involved the COI promising to obey, in their own unaided strength, everything God commanded is not to be imitated under the NC.

This *is* the OC, as Waggoner explained:

Quote:
Note the statement which the apostle makes when speaking of the two women, Hagar and Sarah: "These are the two covenants." So then the two covenants existed in every essential particular in the days of Abraham. Even so they do to-day; for the Scripture says now as well as then, "Cast out the bondwoman and her son." We see then that the two covenants are not matters of time, but of condition. Let no one flatter himself that he can not be under the old covenant, because the time for that is passed. The time for that is passed only in the sense that "the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revelings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries." 1Pet.4:3.

Difference Between the Two.

The difference is just the difference between a freewoman and a slave. Hagar's children, no matter how many she might have had, would have been slaves, while those of Sarah would necessarily be free.

So the covenant from Sinai holds all who adhere to it in bondage "under the law;" while the covenant from above gives freedom, not freedom from obedience to the law, but freedom from disobedience to it. The freedom is not found away from the law, but in the law. Christ redeems from the curse, which is the transgression of the law. He redeems us from the curse, that the blessing may come on us; and the blessing is obedience to the law. "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord." Ps.119:1. This blessedness is freedom. "I will walk at liberty; for I seek Thy precepts." Ps.119:45.

The difference between the two covenants may be put briefly thus: In the covenant from Sinai we ourselves have to do with the law alone, while in the covenant from above, we have the law in Christ.(The Glad Tidings)

I emphasized a couple of things. Note how well the final underlined thing ties into what EGW said about the law being written tablets in the heart as opposed to on tables of stone.

Quote:
However, everything else about the OC (i.e. everything God commanded the COI to do) still applies today in principle if not in particular. I suspect you agree with this.

If you're saying:

1.God instructed the COI to do certain things.
2.If you strip away all the things which don't have to do with the 10 Commandments.
3.Then, of what's left, the same instructions apply to us, in principle.

Then I agree, as all that's left are the principles of the 10 Commandments, which, of course, apply to us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117220
08/06/09 09:34 PM
08/06/09 09:34 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
1. “. . . a pledge that they would remain separate from idolatry, and would obey the law of God.” This is the original Abrahamic Covenant pledge. It involved pledging to obey the law of God.

2. “Therefore when the Lord brought them forth from Egypt, He came down upon Sinai, enshrouded in glory and surrounded by His angels, and in awful majesty spoke His law in the hearing of all the people.” God took it upon Himself to express His law in the hearing of the COI.

3. “He did not even then trust His precepts to the memory of a people who were prone to forget His requirements, but wrote them upon tables of stone.” God took it upon Himself to write His law on two tables of stone. He did so to prevent them from forgetting the details and mingling in heathen ways.

4. “But He did not stop with giving them the precepts of the Decalogue. The people had shown themselves so easily led astray that He would leave no door of temptation unguarded.” God took it upon Himself to give them further details concerning the law. He did so to prevent them from misunderstanding the law and mingling in heathen ways.

5. “Moses was commanded to write, as God should bid him, judgments and laws giving minute instruction as to what was required. These directions relating to the duty of the people to God, to one another, and to the stranger were only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified and given in a specific manner, that none need err. They were designed to guard the sacredness of the ten precepts engraved on the tables of stone.” Again, God took it upon Himself to give them minute details, details which amplified His will for them so that none need err in understanding what God wanted them to do. He gave them such minute details to guard the sacredness of the law, and to guide in their path.

Scripture tells us that circumcision was first and foremost a symbol of the righteousness which the one who believes has by virtue of his faith in Christ:

Quote:
9Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

10How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

11And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: (Romans 4)

Abraham was circumcised as a sign of the righteousness he had by faith in Christ. Therefore righteousness is by faith, not by works. This is Paul's argument.

This corresponds to the point that EGW made that in the New Covenant (the covenant of which circumcision is a sign, the covenant God made with Abraham, the Everlasting Covenant, the only covenant under which one can be saved) the righteousness of Christ is accepted as opposed to one's going about to establish one's own righteousness (which is the Old Covenant).

Quote:
God took it upon Himself to express His law in the hearing of the COI.

This was only necessary because of their unbelief. If they had responded in faith when God gave them *His* covenant, the one He made with Abraham, they would have had the law written in their heart, and not needed to have it written on stone.

The same comment applies to the rest of the points. God only needed to do these things because of the unbelief of the people.

1.God offered the people the covenant He made with Abraham, which involves accepting the righteousness of Christ.

2.Instead of this, they chose to go about establishing their own righteousness, and thus the Old Covenant was born.

3.God met them where they were, in their unbelief, and gave them the law spelled out, so they could see that they did not have the righteousness the law required, and that it was impossible for them to establish their own righteousness, so they would return to His plan, which was, and always has been, the New Covenant; righteousness by faith in Christ.

Quote:
“They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken . . .” The incident involving the golden calf was not the first time they broke the NC

This isn't talking about the NC! It's talking about the old. The broke the promise they had made to God, which is the OC. We can't break the New Covenant! Only God could break the New Covenant. He could have broken it by not doing what He said He would do. We can't break it. We can only choose to be a part of it or not.

This is one of the reasons the New Covenant is so much better than the Old. Instead of depending upon our promises to God, it depends upon His promises to us.

Take a look at what was said:

Quote:
God brought them to Sinai; He manifested His glory; He gave them His law, with the promise of great blessings on condition of obedience: "If ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then . . . ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation." Exodus 19:5, 6. This is God's offering them the same covenant He made with Abraham. The people did not realize the sinfulness of their own hearts, and that without Christ it was impossible for them to keep God's law; and they readily entered into covenant with God. Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient." Exodus 24:7.This is the people entering into the Old Covenant. Remember that going about to establish one's own righteousness is the Old Covenant! She explains this just after this paragraph. I'll quote it a bit later. They had witnessed the proclamation of the law in awful majesty, and had trembled with terror before the mount; and yet only a few weeks passed before they broke their covenant with GodThis is the Old Covenant, and bowed down to worship a graven image. They could not hope for the favor of God through a covenant which they had broken; and now, seeing their sinfulness and their need of pardon, they were brought to feel their need of the Saviour revealed in the Abrahamic covenantThis is the New Covenant. Notice it wouldn't make any sense for her to say that by breaking the New Covenant they were brought to feel their need of the New Covenant. and shadowed forth in the sacrificial offerings. (PP 371;Colored text is my comments)

Just after this she writes:

Quote:
The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ.

The "going about to establish our own righteousness" is the Old Covenant, so when she says above

Quote:
Feeling that they were able to establish their own righteousness, they declared, "All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient

this is an expression of the Old Covenant.

Quote:
In essence, the OC is the NC amplified.

Not at all! The OC and the NC are completely different. One is bad, and the other is good.

The OC leads to bondage (bad).
The NC leads to freedom (good).

In the OC, one goes about to establish one's own righteousness (bad).
In the NC, one accepts the righteousness of Christ (good).

In the OC, the law is no written in the heart (bad).
In the NC, the law is written in the heart (good).

The OC is founded upon the promises of people, and can be broken by them (bad).
The NC is founded upon the promises of God, and cannot be broken by people (good), but only by God (good), who never breaks His promise (very good), so the NC is sure (excellent).

Quote:
T: The OC leads to bondage. God wouldn't give something that leads to bondage. The OC is faulty. God wouldn't give something which is faulty. The OC involved establishing one's own righteousness instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ. God wouldn't give something based on that principle. Also what you're suggesting completely disagrees with Waggoner's position, a position Ellen White said was a waste of "investigative powers" to argue against.

MM:Yes, in one sense the conditions of OC caused a kind of bondage. Having to obey and observe some of those rites and rituals was terribly inconvenient.

MM, this has absolutely nothing to do with the bondage of the OC!

Quote:
It was a major relief not to have to observe them after Jesus died and ascended to heaven.

Again, nothing to do with this.

Quote:
It is very clear, though, that God commanded the COI to obey and observe all the laws and rituals He required at Sinai. He expected them to obey and observe them.

Nor does this. God did nothing to put them in bondage, which is what you're implying! Think of it. If you say that observing the things God instructed them to do is bondage, then God put them into bondage. It is sin which put them into bondage, by unbelief, because they didn't believe His promises. God, all the time, was working to get them *out* of bondage.

MM, there's simply no way to harmonize your ideas with the other ideas were concerned with, namely Paul, EGW, and Waggoner. We've spoken about EGW at some length, let's try the other two for awhile.

Explain your view using only Paul or Waggoner. We know Paul's view is correct, because it's Scripture. We know Waggoner's view is correct, because of what Ellen White said about it.

I can demonstrate what I've been saying by both Paul and Waggoner. Can you do so by either?

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117223
08/06/09 10:49 PM
08/06/09 10:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:You wrote, “You deny that all that man can know of God was revealed by the life and character of His Son in His humanity. You've admitted you don't believe this.” Perhaps this why it seems like we are on a merry-go-round. The truth is, I do believe Jesus revealed everything we need to know about God. It’s just that I believe He did it in two ways – 1) Through His actions, and 2) Through His teachings. I seem recall you and I agreeing on this point. Is that true?

You just said a little earlier you didn't believe this. If you're going this way and that, I don't know what to believe.

Let's let that go. If you're saying that you believe that Jesus Christ, in His humanity, revealed all the man can know of God, then we are in agreement. You're saying you agree with this?

Quote:
M: Do you agree that the following passages say, among other things, that capital punishment "[illustrated and applied] the principles of the Ten Commandments", that it is "only the principles of the Ten Commandments amplified"?

No.

Quote:
M: Also, do you think Jesus was commanding the use of force and violence when He ordered Moses and the COI to stone sinners to death?

T: I think the web site I referred you to gives a good explanation of what I think.

I read through it and didn’t see where the author specifically addressed this concern. If it’s there, please post it here. Thank you.

Chapter 9. The principles needed to understand the case are discussed.

Quote:
M: You wrote, "Where do you see violence in Him?" "I asked you to consider the Sermon on the Mount, but you didn't." True, Jesus did not use force or violence to persuade people to do anything against their wishes.

T: He didn't use it for any other purpose either.

M:Why did you split this sentence off from the one following it? I say the very same thing. By splitting it off it gives the impression I didn’t say it.

You don't say the same thing. You deny it. You believe God used force or violence on many occasions. You don't call what was done "force" or "violence," but in terms of the actual definitions of the words, this is what you believe. For example, in the plagues of Egypt, you believe God used more and more force and violence (inflicting pain and death) until finally Pharaoh capitulated.

Tell me how you would say this, and I can quote it, so I'm not using words you don't like, but God did X more and more until Pharaoh capitulated. It is this God doing X that I disagree with, regardless of how you choose to label X.

Quote:
T: He permitted death and destruction. Regarding the rest, you're simply assuming what you already believe to be true. I'm asking where you see what you believe to be true in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Your answer appears to be ... no answer.

M:True, not once did Jesus resort to the “withdraw and permit” principle of allowing death and destruction to happen while He was here in the flesh.

This is FOTAP. I'm not saying that God resorts to the "withdraw and permit" principle but that people cause His protection to be withdrawn.

Quote:
M:We’ve been over this before and I thought we were in agreement on this point.

??? Why would you think this?

I'm confused. I believe that all that can be known of God was revealed by the life and character of Jesus Christ in His humanity. It appears to me that you don't agree with this, and are using this "withdraw and permit" things as an example to disprove what I'm asserting. But you may be trying to do something else.

Quote:
M:However, He did teach it, that it He would in future resort to it. His confirmation that Jews and Jerusalem would alike perish is an example. Also, His doctrine regarding “weeping and gnashing of teeth” speak to it.

This is again FOTAP, I believe. It's not a principle that Christ "resorts" to, but, as the SOP puts it, what happens is people cause God's protection to be removed.

I really have no idea what overall point you're trying to make here, however.

Quote:
M:You wrote, “So the idea is, ‘If you love and obey me, then I won't cause you to suffer or die.’” The Bible doesn’t express it in those terms. Instead, the idea is if you despise and reject the salvation wrought out for you at such great cost to God you will be punished and destroyed according to your words and works.

What it's called isn't the important thing. It's what's happening that's important. You believe that what happens is that God will cause you to suffer and die if you don't do what He says. Don't you?

Quote:
Paul isn’t using force or compelling power to push people into believing something they despise and reject. He is simply stating the truth. People deserve to know the truth.

It doesn't appear to me you are taking into consideration what Paul believed, as expressed elsewhere (particularly Romans, chapters 1 and 12 come to mind) regarding wrath and vengeance. God's wrath is His "giving up" those who reject Him to the result of their choice. Rom. 1 makes that clear. The vengeance is spoken of in terms of giving your enemy food to eat, and, in so doing, heaping coals upon his head.

Quote:
1. You wrote, “To say ‘employ’ implies one is actively doing something.” I agree. Jesus actively works to prevent it, and He must actively work to permit it (otherwise, evil angels would disregard His established limits and cause more death and destruction than He is willing to permit).

I agree. If this is what you mean by the language you used, I agree, and this is similar to other places of Scripture which speak of God actively doing things. However, I think the language the SOP used, which speaks of people causing God's protection to be removed, is clearer in terms of understanding what's actually happening.

Quote:
You also wrote, “She writes that they ‘caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them.’” How do you envision this playing out? I doubt that you visualize them physically forcing God to stop preventing death and destruction from wiping them out, or physically forcing Him to permit it. But how do you see it playing out?

It's pretty clear that they do so by force of will. They choose what they want, and God allows them to have their choice. This is the wrath of God.

Quote:
Personally, I think God decides to employ the “withdraw and permit” principle when it suits His purposes.

I think the SOP language is better than the language you're using here, especially in the context of our present discussion.

Quote:
It is clear that He doesn’t do it every time circumstances warrant it. True, whenever He does employ it, it’s not because He is being arbitrary or capricious. No way. Instead, it’s because they have filled up their cup of iniquity, they have exhausted His mercy. Ellen White put it this way:

MM, the problem, again, with saying that God "employs" it is that it gives the impression that this is God's will, something God is acting to accomplish, something that He wants to happen. The superior SOP language, that people cause God's protection to be removed, makes crystal clear what is happening. Why not use that language?

Quote:
“With unerring accuracy the Infinite One still keeps account with the nations. While His mercy is tendered, with calls to repentance, this account remains open; but when the figures reach a certain amount which God has fixed, the ministry of His wrath begins. The account is closed. Divine patience ceases. Mercy no longer pleads in their behalf. {PK 364.1}

This is better. And GC 35, 36 makes clear how that wrath operates. People cause God's protection to be removed.

Quote:
2/3. He did. The OT records them.

Here's 2:

Quote:
2. “. . . or cause or command death and destruction while He was here in the flesh”. This implies that Christ caused and commanded death and destruction while not here in the flesh. There are a number of problems with this idea.

Please not "while He was here in the flesh."

Was this simply an oversight on your part? Or did you think "while He was here in the flesh" was referring to the OT?

Quote:
4. He will. He said so many times and in many places.

Here's 4:

Quote:
4.”. . . that circumstances would force Him, from time to time, to do such things again in the future.” This implies that Christ would be forced to cause death and destruction in the future.

We disagree on this point. I believe that Satan is the destroyer and Christ is the restorer, by which I mean, Satan causes death and destruction, not Christ. I believe that statement that Satan is the author of sin and all its results also brings this out.

Quote:
T:We are told that Satan's goal is to misrepresent God's character, that this is how he wins homage to himself. Do you think it's possible he had been more successful at this than perhaps we have thought?

M:Normally I would say, Anything is possible, but in this case it isn’t true.

I think Satan has been *far* more successful at this than we realize.

Quote:
Jesus came the first time to demonstrate to us how to live in harmony with the will of God. He did not come to punish us for despising and rejecting Him. However, He has promised that the second time He comes He will punish those who despise and reject Him.

According to the SOP, the whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was "the revelation of God." She didn't limit His mission the way you are. The "revelation of God" includes everything about Him, not just the "nicey-nice" side (as teresa put it).

The punishment for despising and rejecting Christ is a self-imposed punishment, which is what the following is getting at:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is "alienated from the life of God." Christ says, "All they that hate Me love death."(DA 764)

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117237
08/07/09 02:19 AM
08/07/09 02:19 AM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
i wonder if part of the problem is connecting the law- i assume the 10c- with the old covenant.

or just not understanding Gods intention all along.

But that which God required of Adam in paradise before the fall, He requires in this age of the world from those who would follow Him,--perfect obedience to His law. But righteousness without a blemish can be obtained only through the imputed righteousness of Christ. Through the provision that God has made for the forgiveness and restoration of sinners, the same requirements may be fulfilled by men today that were given to Adam in Eden. {RH, September 3, 1901 par. 2}
It was the transgression of the law that resulted in sin, sorrow, and death. Satan declared that he would prove to the worlds which God has created, and to the heavenly intelligences, that it was an impossibility to keep the law of God. When Adam yielded to the temptation of the enemy, and fell from his high and holy estate, Satan and his angels exulted. But from the throne of God a voice was heard speaking words of mysterious import. "Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required. Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." When man fell, Christ announced His purpose of becoming man's substitute and surety. Who was He? Isaiah says of Him, "Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." John says of Him, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. . . . And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth." {RH, September 3, 1901 par. 3}

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: teresaq] #117243
08/07/09 04:09 AM
08/07/09 04:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There was a connection in that the Ten Commandments are what the COI promised to keep. But it was never God's intent that they should make vain promises to Him. Instead, God wanted to write the law in their heart.

Re: The Old Covenant and Its Law—Only for Israel? [Re: Tom] #117252
08/07/09 05:25 PM
08/07/09 05:25 PM
teresaq  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
There was a connection in that the Ten Commandments are what the COI promised to keep. But it was never God's intent that they should make vain promises to Him. Instead, God wanted to write the law in their heart.
yes. im thinking the title of the thread is wrong.

the covenant God intended with israel is the same one given to adam and eve through to abraham through to us. God never intended for man to try to work his way to heaven, and the title fuels the beliefs of those that believe the God expected "works" in the ot but gives "grace" in the nt.

works:
Psa 78:22 Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in his salvation:

faith:
Psa 13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.

but i think to many minds they are reading/hearing that the law doesnt have to be obeyed, "just believe", instead of what is really being said.

What a statement is this! How can the finite man grasp it? Man may become elevated, ennobled through obedience to the commandments of God, and become loyal and true subjects of his kingdom. We may become one with Christ in spirit and character, and testify to the world that God loves us as he loves his Son. What possibilities are there before the fallen human agent! Let perfect obedience be rendered to God through the imputed righteousness of Christ, and we shall reveal to the world the fact that God loves us as he loves Jesus. It will be made evident that "he that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" {ST, May 28, 1896 par. 4}
Why is it that we are so disposed to distrust God? Why do we as a church doubt his love? Let faith increase by exercise. Let it be sustained by works of righteousness. It is sin that darkens the reason of man, and clouds the understanding. Let the affections be given to God in order that his law may be written in the heart, and the whole man will become a new creature, born again of the Spirit. Then it will be made manifest that the law of God "is perfect, converting the soul." The Lord Jesus has revealed to us the value of the human soul. He says: "O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee; but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them." Again the promise is made, "I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir." Shall we co-operate with God, and possess the faith that works by love and purifies the soul?

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!