HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, daylily, Kevin H, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 105 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119477
09/19/09 04:59 AM
09/19/09 04:59 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Green Cocha
The Amalekite, by his own choice, had earned the death penalty. David commanded that it be executed. Who was responsible for the man's death?

GC, I don't see how your question fits into this topic. Do you see that David did something akin to setting someone on fire to be burned alive for hours?

I've made the following point quite a number of times to you:

Quote:
The real issue here hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

I don't recall your having responded to this, although this is clearly on topic.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119478
09/19/09 05:11 AM
09/19/09 05:11 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
I saw that the angels of God are never to control the will. God sets before man life and death. He can have his choice. Many desire life, but still continue to walk in the broad road. They choose to rebel against God's government, notwithstanding His great mercy and compassion in giving His Son to die for them. Those who do not choose to accept of the salvation so dearly purchased, must be punished. But I saw that God would not shut them up in hell to endure endless misery, neither will He take them to heaven; for to bring them into the company of the pure and holy would make them exceedingly miserable. But He will destroy them utterly and cause them to be as if they had not been; then His justice will be satisfied. He formed man out of the dust of the earth, and the disobedient and unholy will be consumed by fire and return to dust again. I saw that the benevolence and compassion of God in this matter should lead all to admire His character and to adore His holy name. After the wicked are destroyed from off the earth, all the heavenly host will say, "Amen!" {EW 221.1}

Tom,

I have answered your question before, but perhaps the quote above will help to answer it more. I agree with Mrs. White on this point. She expressly said that even through the punishment of the wicked, God's character thus revealed will cause all to admire Him.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119479
09/19/09 05:14 AM
09/19/09 05:14 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Tom
GC, I don't see how your question fits into this topic. Do you see that David did something akin to setting someone on fire to be burned alive for hours?

You can evade the Bible texts, by claiming they are not relevant, but no one will evade the coming day of reckoning. What will you think of God when you see the flames doing exactly what Mrs. White predicted...for days? She spoke under inspiration, and I have no reason to reject her words as you do. Therefore, I am obliged to believe that which may be beyond my current understanding.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #119481
09/19/09 05:39 AM
09/19/09 05:39 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

In order to have some fairness in this discussion, it is important to distinguish between two representations of hell: 1) the false teaching of an eternally-burning hell; and 2) the true concept of hell.

Mrs. White speaks of both of these. In this thread, however, we are addressing the true (i.e. what will hell really be like). It would be unfair, and irresponsible scholarship to apply what Mrs. White expressly teaches is false to her representation of the true picture, would you agree?

If you will agree with the above, which I believe you do, then please find me at least one statement where Mrs. White is teaching the true picture of hell and terms the burning as "torture." I have only seen this term in reference to the false teaching of eternally-burning, immortal souls in hell.

If you do not find such a statement in reference to the true, please do not represent those of us who accept Mrs. White's teaching on the matter as believing that God will "torture" the wicked. Such is most certainly an erroneous view, and I believe it is unfair to speak of God in such a light.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119485
09/19/09 02:48 PM
09/19/09 02:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
Tom, you quoted - "The glory of Him who is love will destroy them." Then you wrote, "They so ruin their characters that the mere presence of God is a consuming fire to them." In other words, if God kept His distance, if He continued to shield them from the presence of His glorious light - they would not suffer and die. Also, the consuming fire that will destroy the rubble of earth is the same fire that will cause the wicked to suffer and die. Using your definition, their punishment will be arbitrary, that is, it is not sin or the results of sinning that will cause them to suffer and die. The unshielded presence of God will be necessary for the wicked to suffer and die; otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

This is a bit difficult to follow. I believe I'm saying what DA 764 says. She writes that death is the inevitable result of sin. Also "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life."

Quote:
MM:Tom, you wrote, "She points out that the exclusion of the wicked is voluntary with themselves." But if they could rid heaven of its inhabitants, and have it to themselves, they would. They would march in and mow them down taking heaven by force. Their great desire is to live - not to die.

Given the choice of living in heaven, or death, they choose death. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves. It would be torture for them. (GC 543)

Sin is not what will cause the wicked to suffer and die. It is the radiant fire light of God's glorious presence that will consume and destroy them with their sins. The absence of the radiant fire light of God's glorious presence is the reason why sinners do not die of emotional anguish when they sin. After years of sinning, however, they harden their hearts beyond being able to die of emotional anguish. They become dead to sin and incapable of dying of emotional anguish.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119486
09/19/09 03:05 PM
09/19/09 03:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The real issue here hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

No one here is advocating this idea. Please stop acting as if it is true.

In the beginning the smallest sin would have caused A&E to suffer intense emotional agony ending in instant death. And yet you believe the wicked will somehow be able to suffer the combined emotional agony of millions of sins for many, many days without dying immediately. How is this physically possible? They are resurrected in their previous state of decay and disease. Their physical ability to endure emotional hardship is greatly diminished, if not nonexistent. Nevertheless, you believe they are capable of enduring unimaginable agony for many, many days without dying instantly. Do you think God works to keep them alive supernaturally so that they can suffer? If so, what does this say about God's character?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #119487
09/19/09 03:08 PM
09/19/09 03:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GreenCochoa
T:The real issue here hasn't been dealt with, and that's one regarding God's character. What would God be like if He set people on fire, using supernatural power to keep them alive, so that the fire that engulfs them doesn't consume them, or kill them, or even damage their nerve endings, for the purpose of torturing them for many hours or many days?

GC:I have answered your question before, but perhaps the quote above will help to answer it more. I agree with Mrs. White on this point. She expressly said that even through the punishment of the wicked, God's character thus revealed will cause all to admire Him.

I don't recall seeing your response, nor do I see it here. I'm asking what would God be like if He set people on fire to suffer excruciating pain for many hours or many days, etc. What would He be like?

Quote:
T:GC, I don't see how your question fits into this topic. Do you see that David did something akin to setting someone on fire to be burned alive for hours?

GC:You can evade the Bible texts, by claiming they are not relevant,

I asked you how the text is relevant. How is it relevant?

GC, I write tons of stuff that you ignore, and don't complain about it. I have to bring up things 5 or 6 times to get a response, and even then sometimes I don't. Here there's one thing I didn't answer because I don't see the relevance of it, and you're trying to make a case out of it, when you're not even half as thorough in responding to my posts as I am to yours.

Quote:
but no one will evade the coming day of reckoning. What will you think of God when you see the flames doing exactly what Mrs. White predicted...for days?

She never said God would set the wicked on fire, to burn for many days or many hours. You're reading this into the text. There are many besides myself who don't read the text the way you do.

The question I have is how you can even conceive of the possibility that God would act in this way, given His character. When Jesus Christ was asked if the Samaritans should be set on fire, He responded they the disciples did not know of what spirit they were. The SOP points out, in speaking of this passage, that it is the spirit of Satan to be disposed to cause harm to those who are not in harmony with one's work. And this would just be to destroy quickly, not to cause excruciating pain for many hours or days.

Quote:
GC:She spoke under inspiration, and I have no reason to reject her words as you do.

This is puerile. I can only respond in kind: "I have no reason to reject her words as you do."

Under inspiration both she and the Scriptures present a picture of God's character which is diametrically opposed to the picture you are portraying. She wrote that "cruelty is Satanic." Either you are rejecting her words her, or see nothing cruel in setting someone on fire for many hours or many days at a time.

Quote:
GC:Therefore, I am obliged to believe that which may be beyond my current understanding.

What specifically is beyond your current understanding?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119491
09/19/09 05:06 PM
09/19/09 05:06 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I don't recall seeing your response, nor do I see it here. I'm asking what would God be like if He set people on fire to suffer excruciating pain for many hours or many days, etc. What would He be like?

Tom, your preferred view does not dictate reality. I may wish to wear rose-colored glasses, but the glasses will not remove the actual blemishes of a reality that I may not wish to see. Sin is an evil thing. Very evil. The universe has been "tortured" by it for six thousand years. Jesus was "tortured" on the cross, because of your sins and mine. The angels and God have been mocked, despised, ridiculed, rejected, spurned and blasphemed. For six thousand years. What's a few days' worth of vengeance in comparison to this? Very merciful justice. A few hours or days? God is merciful. That is "what He would be like."
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
A TERRIBLE MERCY.--It is in mercy to the universe that God will finally destroy the rejecters of His grace. {Hvn 130.2}

Quote:
T:GC, I don't see how your question fits into this topic. Do you see that David did something akin to setting someone on fire to be burned alive for hours?

GC:You can evade the Bible texts, by claiming they are not relevant,

I asked you how the text is relevant. How is it relevant?

It presents the same principle of responsibility that we are discussing here.

GC, I write tons of stuff that you ignore, and don't complain about it. I have to bring up things 5 or 6 times to get a response, and even then sometimes I don't. Here there's one thing I didn't answer because I don't see the relevance of it, and you're trying to make a case out of it, when you're not even half as thorough in responding to my posts as I am to yours.

Yes, Tom, you write plenty. Sometimes I don't bother to tell you that I have tried answering something before but you appeared to not wish to understand it, or perhaps even hear it. So I do not always respond. Also, sometimes I agree with your points, or do not disagree enough to bother responding. I may have less time than some, and so I choose which things to respond to. My apologies if this offends you.

Quote:
but no one will evade the coming day of reckoning. What will you think of God when you see the flames doing exactly what Mrs. White predicted...for days?

She never said God would set the wicked on fire, to burn for many days or many hours. You're reading this into the text. There are many besides myself who don't read the text the way you do.

This is but evidence that you haven't been reading the quotes I've posted. Even a child would understand her meaning clearly, as long as he or she had not been predisposed to reject such as "cruel," "inhumane," and "impossible" based on a God-can-do-no-harm-and-will-not-use-force-even-to-put-a-stop-to-sin belief.

The question I have is how you can even conceive of the possibility that God would act in this way, given His character.

Because He has revealed that He WILL do this.
When Jesus Christ was asked if the Samaritans should be set on fire, He responded they the disciples did not know of what spirit they were.

Indeed. Jesus' spirit and that of God in executing justice will not be the same spirit the disciples showed. Not at all.
The SOP points out, in speaking of this passage, that it is the spirit of Satan to be disposed to cause harm to those who are not in harmony with one's work. And this would just be to destroy quickly, not to cause excruciating pain for many hours or days.

Context is everything. The situation is different here. If it was ok for the New Testament believers to abolish circumcision, why did God send an angel with drawn sword to slay Moses' on account of his uncircumcised son? Double standard? Fickle? Two-faced? NOT AT ALL. I feel like the accusations you throw at me (and/or at God) as a result of these things are just like those accusations that any infidel could throw out for the "inconsistencies" they see in the Bible like this. What's the difference between upholding that law, and then dismissing it? By the way, did Jesus ever reveal through His life that the rite of circumcision was no longer binding? Then can we truthfully say that everything was revealed through Jesus' life?

How much have you learned from Mrs. White? Dare I suggest that she has taught you many things that are not in the Gospels? or would this contradict what she said about Jesus having revealed everything through His life?

Quote:
GC:She spoke under inspiration, and I have no reason to reject her words as you do.

This is puerile. I can only respond in kind: "I have no reason to reject her words as you do."

Under inspiration both she and the Scriptures present a picture of God's character which is diametrically opposed to the picture you are portraying. She wrote that "cruelty is Satanic." Either you are rejecting her words her, or see nothing cruel in setting someone on fire for many hours or many days at a time.

You are misinterpreting. You misinterpret me, put the "portrayal" which I have presented here in a bad light--when really that is coming directly from inspiration. Mrs. White is telling us more than you are accepting. Yes, cruelty is Satanic. God is not cruel. God is righteous, faithful, and just. And God is JEALOUS. Did you know that? "But jealousy is a sin???" "For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." (Ex. 34:14) Is God a sinner? Should I refuse to accept this text of the Bible just because it goes so strongly against my preconceptions? No. I accept it. I accept that it does not mean the same to God as it means to us.

Quote:
GC:Therefore, I am obliged to believe that which may be beyond my current understanding.

What specifically is beyond your current understanding?

The answers to the "Why?" questions. I don't have those. I don't know "Why?" God does all of this. But I believe what I am told just the same. Do I have any reason to doubt His Word?

You have not given me any reason, and even if you should, I would likely still choose to believe what God has said. If He tells us that Satan will burn for many days, why should I doubt that?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119496
09/19/09 06:28 PM
09/19/09 06:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: MountainMan
M:No one here is advocating this idea. Please stop acting as if it is true.

This isn't true. GC is advocating the idea. Arnold says he's leaning toward it. Neither have suggested I've misrepresented their thoughts. They've been defending this idea as true.

Quote:
M:In the beginning the smallest sin would have caused A&E to suffer intense emotional agony ending in instant death. And yet you believe the wicked will somehow be able to suffer the combined emotional agony of millions of sins for many, many days without dying immediately. How is this physically possible?

As their lives are reviewed, their sins are revealed. They are made aware of the times when Jesus was calling them, but they didn't heed His voice, and so forth.

Quote:
They are resurrected in their previous state of decay and disease. Their physical ability to endure emotional hardship is greatly diminished, if not nonexistent. Nevertheless, you believe they are capable of enduring unimaginable agony for many, many days without dying instantly. Do you think God works to keep them alive supernaturally so that they can suffer? If so, what does this say about God's character?

I don't think God does anything supernatural to enable the wicked to suffer. What they suffer is due to their own choice, not something God imposes upon them, nor does God act supernaturally to augment their capacity to suffer.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #119498
09/19/09 06:48 PM
09/19/09 06:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: GreenCocha
In order to have some fairness in this discussion, it is important to distinguish between two representations of hell: 1) the false teaching of an eternally-burning hell; and 2) the true concept of hell.

Mrs. White speaks of both of these. In this thread, however, we are addressing the true (i.e. what will hell really be like). It would be unfair, and irresponsible scholarship to apply what Mrs. White expressly teaches is false to her representation of the true picture, would you agree?

In GC 536, and thereabout, Ellen White speaks of the false view of hell. She considers it cruel, and speaks of "eternal tortures." Now if the only thing you see different between the view that she is representing and the view you hold is the time element, then everything she says about the view she is representing holds to your view as well, excluding the time element.

I've asked on a number of occasions what's different between that view and the view being suggested by you and others, aside from the time element, and haven't gotten any response. If you would like to put forth how your view is different, I'm happy to hear that.

Quote:
GC:If you will agree with the above, which I believe you do, then please find me at least one statement where Mrs. White is teaching the true picture of hell and terms the burning as "torture."

GC 536 speaks of "eternal tortures." If the only difference between the view she presents there and what you believe happens is the element of time, then you believe in "non-eternal tortures." If you further assert that the true view is not "torture," then the view you are presenting cannot be the true view.

Quote:
GC:I have only seen this term in reference to the false teaching of eternally-burning, immortal souls in hell.

The term is "eternal tortures." If you don't believe the view she represents is incorrect, except for the time element, then the description of "tortures" applies.

Quote:
GC:If you do not find such a statement in reference to the true, please do not represent those of us who accept Mrs. White's teaching on the matter as believing that God will "torture" the wicked.

Then please tell me how your view is different than the view she is representing as false, other than the time element.

Quote:
GC:Such is most certainly an erroneous view, and I believe it is unfair to speak of God in such a light.

I agree that it is unfair to speak of God in the light of an erroneous view, and believe the view you are presenting is erroneous, because it looks like the view Ellen White represents as false, except for the time element. I believe the time element is not the only thing false in the view she describes as "eternal tortures."

Page 7 of 105 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!