HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 105 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121438
11/10/09 04:36 PM
11/10/09 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: Also, what do you think destroys the wicked?

T: Their death is the inevitable result of their sin. Wherever there is sin, suffering and death are inevitable.

I can’t tell how this answers my question. Do you think sin destroys sinners? Ellen wrote, “. . . the glory of God, which destroys sin, must destroy them.”

Quote:
M: Do you agree with the point Rosangela agrees with?

T: This is vague too. I looked on this page for something by Rosangela, and didn't see anything. I didn't comment on what she wrote?

Yes, you did respond to her post. She wrote: “Tom, I agree with Mike's point. . . it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked.” (121334)

Quote:
M: At what point in the GC account do you think she doubles back (referring specifically to the 7 point chronology above).

T: The point I mentioned. I think the proportionate suffering is a direct result of their sin, not how long they are burned for.

Here’s what you said, “Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked.” Here’s the paragraph and context:

Quote:
Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

Saith the Lord: "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness. They shall bring thee down to the pit." "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. . . . I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Ezekiel 28:6-8, 16-19. {GC 672.1}

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

It sounds to me like you think “Fire comes down from God out of heaven” and “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days” will occur while they are revisiting their sins, which you believe happens before everything else described above. Is this what you believe?

Quote:
M: Do you think they will be burned alive for a few seconds? And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of the emotional agony you described above? Nowhere in the 7 point chronology is such an experience described. Satan goes down kicking not crying.

T: I've already answered these questions. Regarding the emotional agony not being mentioned in the 7 point chronology, this isn't the only passage to consider. I think Kevin H's post, especially part 2, was excellent in regards to this.

You believe the sodomites were burned alive, that they suffered for mere seconds before dying. Do you think this will happen to the wicked? And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of experiencing the kind of emotional agony you’ve described? Also, do you think it makes perfect sense for Ellen to omit the emotional agony you’ve described in her most complete, authoritative description of the final judgment?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121440
11/10/09 05:34 PM
11/10/09 05:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
T: I believe what DA 764 says, that "God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. He is 'alienated from the life of God.'"

M: Why do you think this insight explains why and how evil angels live while separated and cut off from God?

T: Why do you think I think this? Any of this? Either the premise or the conclusion? Where have I said anything about angels living while separated and cut off from God?

M: You quoted the passage above in response to the question above (I merely repeated the question). Do you think evil angels have chosen “the service of sin”? If so, do you think they have separated and cut themselves off from God? If so, do you think God continues to serve as their fountain of life? If so, what do you think it means to be separated from God and cut off from life?

T: Let's do one thing at a time. Let's talk about human beings. If you want to talk about angels, you can start a thread on that. I assume "The Suffering of the Lost" is dealing with human beings. I'll say that the general principles apply to evil angels as well as human beings, and leave it at that for now, going into more detail if you want to start a new thread.

M: If you wish to discuss the final demise of evil angels separately, then it would make more sense if you didn’t cite passages which describe the final demise of both men and angels. I’m referring specifically to DA 764: “By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them. {DA 764.1} Why should we discuss them separately if Ellen didn’t?

T: This doesn't make sense to me. We're talking about the suffering of the lost, which are human beings. The passages which discuss the judgment mention both. That has nothing to do with anything.

The demise of evil men and angels is identical. The suffering and death of the lost includes both. Why do you wish to discuss them separately? Do you think there are fundamental differences which warrant separate threads?

Quote:
M: Do you believe the wicked will die in the same way and for the same reasons Jesus did?

T: Again, this is going into areas I've not discussed. I don't know why.

M: I’m bringing it up for discussion. Do you not have an opinion or observation?

T: He suffered the death that was ours that we might live the life that was His, so that looks to be equating His second death experience to what ours would have been had He not died for us.

I’m talking about the second death, not the experiencing leading up to it. I assume you agree with me that the wicked will not die the first death like Jesus did. Therefore, is it safe to conclude you also agree with me that we cannot understand the second death by studying the first death?

Quote:
M: What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. On the one hand you say they are separated and cut off from the only source of life, while on the other hand you say God gives them existence. Why do you think this makes sense?

T: I quoted DA 764. I assume this is what you're talking about. I don't think I've said anything beyond that.

M: She makes all three comments in the same paragraph. The question is – How can they be true at the same time? How can they be separated from God, cut off from the source of life, and have existence all at the same time?

T: I think how they can all be true is something we need to think about. I've spent a lot of time doing so, and have shared my thoughts regarding this, in the detailed posts I've written on the subject.

Apparently your post was not detailed enough. I have no idea what your thoughts and ideas are. How can they be separated from God, cut off from the source of life, and have existence all at the same time? I suspect the first two envision something other than death. Do you agree?

Quote:
M:I hear you saying, yes, God punctuates their life focusing on epic moments overlooking the rest. There isn’t time enough to revisit each and every sin.

T: I don't think "overlooking the rest" is a good way to put it.

M: How would you word the concept “overlooking the rest” to reflect what you believe?

T: The way I did when I posted before.

Ellen wrote, “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. {GC 666.2} She says they are conscious of every sin. Why do you believe something different?

Quote:
T: Regarding the second sentence, wouldn't you agree that if a person does not know Christ, every moment of their life consists of sins?

M: No, I don’t think people who know not Jesus sin every moment of their life.

T: This seems different to me than what you have written before. It seems to me you thought one was sinning continuously until one is born again. Is it your idea that God skips from sin to sin in the judgment of the wicked, skipping over everything else?

We both believe Paul and Ellen describe people who live in harmony with the law even though they’ve never heard of Jesus or the Bible. And, no, I don’t believe God will skip over any sins in judgment. I believe “they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed.”

Quote:
T: So to revisit each and every sin would require as much time as their original life. Actually more, because not only would every second have to be revisited, but each second would have to be reviewed and discussed. So it would take several lifetimes to go through, if it were done in this manner.

M: Also, are you absolutely certain God has no means or methods of enabling people to revisit their sins without it taking several lifetimes to complete?

T: This question doesn't make sense to me. Why would you even think I consider this as a possibility, let along be certain of it?

Do you think God has available to Him means and methods that would allow the wicked to revisit each and every sin without it taking more than a few minutes for some, a few hours for others, or a few days for the rest?

Quote:
M: Do you think one of the “lesser sins” (4T 384) is sufficient to cause unimaginable suffering ending in second death?

T: What I believe is that your question isn't the right way of looking at it. I explained that, and explained what I think the right way of looking at it is.

I have no idea what you believe. If a person dies having committed only one sin worthy of punishment do you think they will experience the emotional agony you describe, and will it end in second death? If not, what do you believe?

Quote:
M: In fact, your answer resembled – No. You seem to be saying individual sins are not revisited, that they are lumped together and treated as one.

T: No, I didn't say this.

Are you referring to the first part – “You seem to be saying individual sins are not revisited.”

Quote:
M: But the passages I posted clearly say “every” thought, word, and deed will be closely investigated.

T: Does it say each one will be investigated by the wicked? The passages seem to me to be saying that their cases will be thoroughly investigated by God.

Yes, they are referring to the investigative phase of judgment. Do you think “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed” means something different than what God did before the close of probation, or what the righteous did during the millennium, when they investigated every sin recorded in the “books of record”?

Quote:
T: You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.

And what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121441
11/10/09 05:43 PM
11/10/09 05:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: Do you think God’s voice, hand, face, and back are symbols? If so, what do they symbolize?

T: These were rich in meaning for those who lived in an Eastern culture. They still are. I'll put it that way. Regarding what these things signified, this is easily discovered online. The important thing that was happening was the revelation of God's character. I hope you see that.

I agree there are times in the Bible when parts of God’s body are symbolic. However, I disagree it applies to this case. Yes, God also described several character traits to Moses.

Quote:
T: Is it your contention that when God said that the earth is His footstool that this is a "mere symbol"? This isn't literal, but in Moses' case it was?

M: Yes, I believe the expression “the earth is my footstool” is symbolic. Do you? And, yes, I believe Moses literally saw God’s hand and back and literally heard Him speak. Do you?

T: Do you mean God the Father? Or Jesus Christ?

M: The Father communicated to Moses through the Son. So, do you agree with both points?

T: Ok, so you're asking if Jesus Christ revealed His back to Moses? Regarding if it was Christ who spoke to Moses, yes, I agree.

1. Yes. 2. Good.

Quote:
M: In DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”?

T: I don't understand why you're asking this question. Please make some point, and I'll respond to your point.

M: You believe DA 108 (posted below) proves the character of God will cause the wicked to suffer and die. It would be nice to know if you believe the two words mean the same thing in the context of judgment.

“At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4}

T: You're asking if the statement, “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming" is talking about two different things? Or one thing? Is this the question?

Yes, in DA 108 what is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Or, do you think they mean the same thing? If so, please explain what you think it means.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121443
11/10/09 06:30 PM
11/10/09 06:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think rather than responding to your questions one at a time, I'll try to write things out. Also, I appreciate your request for patience, and I also request patience, asking you to pardon me if I've been brusque or impolite to you in any way.

I'll speak of four main passages which discuss the subject of the destruction of the lost. First of all, DA 764.

There are two main features to this passage, it seems to me. One is that it's written in the context of a discussion of what Christ's death accomplished. I think it's important that we consider the context of the passages we are considering. In the chapter "It Is Finished," EGW is considering what the death of Christ accomplished. She spends a great deal of time discussing how it impacted the Great Controversy. She speaks of how, for the angels, it revealed the character of Satan, and how, for men, it revealed the character of God. It makes sense that this would be the emphasis, since the angels knew God well, living with Him in heaven, but didn't know the true character of the devil, because he was so good at hiding it. The cross unmasked him.

Man, otoh, does not know God so well, so God had to reveal Himself through Christ for man, so that by beholding His love and character, man could be drawn back to God.

From there is segues into a discussion of the destruction of the lost. She quotes from typical passages, such as Mal. 3, and in DA 764 explains her understanding of what will happen. She makes the point that their destruction is a result of their own choice. She makes this point some 9 times. I don't think a candid examination of this passage can fail to recognize the importance of this point.

She says that the lost separate themselves from God, thus cutting themselves off from life. She also says that by a life of rebellion, they have so ruined their character that God's mere presences is to them a consuming fire. "The glory of Him who is love will destroy them."

There is no doubt this is dealing with the issue of character. She specifically speaks of the *character* which the wicked have formed. Therefore the *presence* of God she is speaking of must be His presence in an aspect that involves *character*.

The first statement says the lost die because they separate themselves from God. The other says they die because they cannot stand to be near God. Taking these both into account, it makes sense that if they can't stand to be near God that they would choose to separate themselves from Him, thus cutting themselves from life.

The next paragraph speaks of how if God *left* Satan to reap the full result of his sin, he would perish, but his death would not have been understood as the inevitable result of sin. This eliminates the possibility that God is *causing* Satan's death, since the whole paragraph wouldn't make sense if this were the case.

The next passage I'll consider is DA 107-108. This passage speaks of the glory of God. It refers to Christ as the revealer of God's character. It says only the pure in heart could abide in His presence. It says the same thing which gives life to the righteous slays the wicked. This also makes clear that radiant firelight is not being dealt with, since radiant firelight does not give life to the righteous.

Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.

Next we can consider GC 541-543. The background of the chapter is discussing how sin came about, and how it will be brought to an end. In the first part of the chapter, the theory of eternal hell is discussed. It is explained that this theory is cruel, and has not backing in Scripture. Because this is such a horrible theory, some respond by going to the other extreme, teaching that all will be saved. This is the context of GC 541-543.

She explains that God would make the lost happy if He could (in context, by taking them to heaven) and explains why this is impossible. They have not trained their characters to love God nor the things of God, so heaven would be a miserable place for them. (By the way, had God desired to make the wicked arbitrarily suffer to pay for their sins, He could simply make them spend time in heaven.) The wicked choose to be excluded from heaven.

The final passage I'll mention is the final chapter of "The Great Controversy." This chapter speaks of how the lost will prepare to attack the city, but as they are about to mount an attack, they are stopped by a revelation of God's character. Interestingly, the GC started by misrepresenting God's character, and is brought to an end by the reverse.

Quote:
"Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for Thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee; for Thy judgments are made manifest." Verse 4. Every question of truth and error in the long-standing controversy has now been made plain. The results of rebellion, the fruits of setting aside the divine statutes, have been laid open to the view of all created intelligences. The working out of Satan's rule in contrast with the government of God has been presented to the whole universe. Satan's own works have condemned him. God's wisdom, His justice, and His goodness stand fully vindicated. It is seen that all His dealings in the great controversy have been conducted with respect to the eternal good of His people and the good of all the worlds that He has created. "All Thy works shall praise Thee, O Lord; and Thy saints shall bless Thee." Psalm 145:10. The history of sin will stand to all eternity as a witness that with the existence of God's law is bound up the happiness of all the beings He has created. With all the facts of the great controversy in view, the whole universe, both loyal and rebellious, with one accord declare: "Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints." (GC 670, 671)

God's character is vindicated, which is witnessed by the entire Universe. All, saved and lost alike, recognize that God's actions have been consistent with His character of love, and that God really is just like Jesus Christ revealed Him to be, and always has been.

There are a number of things which go together in one's view of things, including:

a.What is the problem of sin?
b.How does God solve that problem?
c.What is the consequence of not laying hold of the solution.

One set of answers is:

a.It's primarily a legal problem. If you disobey God, for legal reasons, you must be arbitrarily punished.
b.God solves the problem by arbitrarily punishing Christ instead, so if one accepts Christ, one can have His righteousness arbitrarily applied to your account, and avoid the arbitrary punishment but being arbitrarily pronounced righteous.
c.God will punish you if you don't lay hold of the arbitrary solution, by arbitrarily causing you to suffer, and then killing you.

Another set would look like this:

a.The problem is that sin causes suffering and death.
b.The solution is to save us from sin, by bring us back to God.
c.If one does not lay hold of the solution, one will reap the death which is the inevitable result of sin, as well as experience the suffering which is the inevitable result of sin.

The use of the word "arbitrary" in the first set was emphasized to bring out that lack of causation between sin and suffering and death. The punishment is an arbitrary one, and the solution also arbitrary.

In contrast with this theory, if the problem is seen to be sin itself, then the solution is to be freed from sin. That of itself solves the problem. The atonement consists of the process by which God frees us from sin. The judgment is the process of vindicating God's character, and leaving the lost to experience the result of what they have chosen.

These are the general principles involved. In regards to the specifics, there are various ways of trying to tie things together, but I don't think trying to dot every "i" and cross every "t" is the essential thing here. The essential thing is to lay hold of the broad, general principles, such as that God does not cause suffering or death, but these things are the fruit of sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121536
11/13/09 09:05 PM
11/13/09 09:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your explanation of the problem and the solution did not adequately address my concerns and questions. Please address my recent posts. I’ll go ahead and address your last post here, but please go back and take the time to address mine. Thank you.

Quote:
Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.

How do you define spiritual slaying? Does it result in second death? If so, does it mean God’s character is the cause of second death?

Quote:
. . . if the problem is seen to be sin itself, then the solution is to be freed from sin. That of itself solves the problem. The atonement consists of the process by which God frees us from sin. The judgment is the process of vindicating God's character, and leaving the lost to experience the result of what they have chosen.

The problem is the death penalty. Motivating sinners to cease sinning is not the solution. God must justify saving sinners instead of executing the death penalty.

Quote:
The essential thing is to lay hold of the broad, general principles, such as that God does not cause suffering or death, but these things are the fruit of sin.

Your assumptions are the subject of discussion. Whether or not they are true is the basis of this thread.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121559
11/14/09 03:47 AM
11/14/09 03:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
MM:Tom, your explanation of the problem and the solution did not adequately address my concerns and questions. Please address my recent posts. I’ll go ahead and address your last post here, but please go back and take the time to address mine. Thank you.

I've chosen to respond to your posts by way of the detailed explanation. Simply answering questions didn't seem to me to be bearing fruit, so I tried another way.

Quote:
T:Neither of these passages says exactly how God's character will slay the wicked, but the fact that the same thing gives life to the righteous is a strong indication that this is a spiritual matter.

M:How do you define spiritual slaying?

??

Quote:
Does it result in second death?

??

Quote:
If so, does it mean God’s character is the cause of second death?

This question I understand! You've asked it quite a few times already, and I've answered it quite a few times.

Quote:
T:. . . if the problem is seen to be sin itself, then the solution is to be freed from sin. That of itself solves the problem. The atonement consists of the process by which God frees us from sin. The judgment is the process of vindicating God's character, and leaving the lost to experience the result of what they have chosen.

M:The problem is the death penalty.

The death penalty is simply that death is the inevitable result of sin. See DA 764.

Quote:
Motivating sinners to cease sinning is not the solution.

I said saving people from sin.

Quote:
God must justify saving sinners instead of executing the death penalty.

The death penalty is the inevitable result of sin. If God saves a person from sin, there's not penalty. The justification is in the person himself, who has been saved from sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121561
11/14/09 04:08 AM
11/14/09 04:08 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. {PP 42.3}

The real results of sinning is God blotting them out of existence.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121562
11/14/09 04:12 AM
11/14/09 04:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
I've chosen to respond to your posts by way of the detailed explanation. Simply answering questions didn't seem to me to be bearing fruit, so I tried another way.

Your explanation overlooked many of the points I addressed in my posts. Also, it didn't identify the cause of suffering or death.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #121569
11/14/09 03:15 PM
11/14/09 03:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
The inhabitants of heaven and of the worlds, being unprepared to comprehend the nature or consequences of sin, could not then have seen the justice of God in the destruction of Satan. Had he been immediately blotted out of existence, some would have served God from fear rather than from love. {PP 42.3}

M:The real results of sinning is God blotting them out of existence.

She doesn't say that God blots anyone out of existence. She said *if* God blotted him out of existence, what would have happened. DA 764 makes the same point, while making clear how Satan and his followers actually will be destroyed:

Quote:
By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. The glory of Him who is love will destroy them.

At the beginning of the great controversy, the angels did not understand this. Had Satan and his host then been left to reap the full result of their sin, they would have perished; but it would not have been apparent to heavenly beings that this was the inevitable result of sin.(DA 764)

Regarding the cause of suffering or death, that's sin, as pointed out many times:

Quote:
God is the life-giver. From the beginning all His laws were ordained to life. But sin broke in upon the order that God had established, and discord followed. So long as sin exists, suffering and death are inevitable.(PP 522)

I've said this so many times now, and quoted this, or the DA 764 quote, dozens of times, I don't see why there should be any question regarding this point.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #121583
11/14/09 06:23 PM
11/14/09 06:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I’ve gone back over the posts you chose not to address and selected the parts I need to know. I’m sorry if this is inconvenient for you, but I really do need to know.

1. You wrote, “[The] divinity flashing through humanity may not have continued for a long enough time, or have been an intense enough revelation of God's character to cause their death. God wasn't intending that they should die.” (120989) Do you disagree with what you wrote above? Do you think you inadvertently wrote something you believe is false or erroneous? Or, have you simply changed your mind and you no longer believe it?

2. Do you believe the full revelation of God’s character contributes in any way to the suffering and second death of men and angels? If so, please explain how and why. That is, explain why you think they are capable of suffering spiritually and dying physically when God reveals His character during judgment.

3. Also, do you think experiencing the full force of sin and guilt during judgment will result in the wicked 1) choosing to refuse their place in heaven, 2) choosing to separate themselves from God, 3) choosing to cut themselves off from their only source of life, and that 4) these choices result in them dying the second death?

4. Do you agree with what Rosangela posted: “Tom, I agree with Mike's point. . . it's God's glory, or presence, which destroys the wicked.” (121334)

5. You said, “Regarding the chronology, I've mentioned that there appears to me to be a doubling back in the paragraph discussing the proportional suffering of the wicked.” Here’s the paragraph and context:

Quote:
Notwithstanding that Satan has been constrained to acknowledge God's justice and to bow to the supremacy of Christ, his character remains unchanged. The spirit of rebellion, like a mighty torrent, again bursts forth. Filled with frenzy, he determines not to yield the great controversy. The time has come for a last desperate struggle against the King of heaven. He rushes into the midst of his subjects and endeavors to inspire them with his own fury and arouse them to instant battle. But of all the countless millions whom he has allured into rebellion, there are none now to acknowledge his supremacy. His power is at an end. The wicked are filled with the same hatred of God that inspires Satan; but they see that their case is hopeless, that they cannot prevail against Jehovah. Their rage is kindled against Satan and those who have been his agents in deception, and with the fury of demons they turn upon them. {GC 671.2}

Saith the Lord: "Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness. They shall bring thee down to the pit." "I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. . . . I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. . . . I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. . . . Thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Ezekiel 28:6-8, 16-19. {GC 672.1}

"Every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire." "The indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and His fury upon all their armies: He hath utterly destroyed them, He hath delivered them to the slaughter." "Upon the wicked He shall rain quick burning coals, fire and brimstone and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup." Isaiah 9:5; 34:2; Psalm 11:6, margin. Fire comes down from God out of heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. Malachi 4:1; 2 Peter 3:10. The earth's surface seems one molten mass--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." Isaiah 34:8. {GC 672.2}

The wicked receive their recompense in the earth. Proverbs 11:31. They "shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts." Malachi 4:1. Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days. All are punished "according to their deeds." The sins of the righteous having been transferred to Satan, he is made to suffer not only for his own rebellion, but for all the sins which he has caused God's people to commit. His punishment is to be far greater than that of those whom he has deceived. After all have perished who fell by his deceptions, he is still to live and suffer on. In the cleansing flames the wicked are at last destroyed, root and branch--Satan the root, his followers the branches. The full penalty of the law has been visited; the demands of justice have been met; and heaven and earth, beholding, declare the righteousness of Jehovah. {GC 673.1}

It sounds to me like you think “Fire comes down from God out of heaven” and “Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days” will occur while they are revisiting their sins, which you believe happens before everything else described above. Is this what you believe?

6. You believe the sodomites were burned alive, that they suffered for mere seconds before dying. Do you think this will happen to the wicked? And, why do you think sin-hardened men and angels are capable of experiencing the kind of emotional agony you’ve described? Also, do you think it makes perfect sense for Ellen to omit the emotional agony you’ve described in her most complete, authoritative description of the final judgment?

7. Ellen wrote, “As soon as the books of record are opened, and the eye of Jesus looks upon the wicked, they are conscious of every sin which they have ever committed. {GC 666.2} She says they are conscious of every sin. Why do you believe something different?

8. Do you think God has available to Him means and methods that would allow the wicked to revisit each and every sin without it taking more than a few minutes for some, a few hours for others, or a few days for the rest?

9. If a person dies having committed only one sin worthy of punishment do you think they will experience the emotional agony you describe, and will it end in second death? If not, what do you believe?

10. You wrote, “You've said that God works to prevent people from dying prematurely, in the here and now. I'm saying He does the same thing in the judgment to keep them from dying prematurely that He does now.” So, what precisely does He do now that He will do then?

11. “At the second advent of Christ the wicked shall be consumed "with the Spirit of His mouth," and destroyed "with the brightness of His coming." 2 Thess. 2:8. The light of the glory of God, which imparts life to the righteous, will slay the wicked. {DA 107.4} What do you think is the difference between “consumed” and “destroyed”? Or, do you think they mean the same thing? If so, please explain what you think it means.

Page 55 of 105 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!