HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,683
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
8 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 73 of 105 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 104 105
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122618
01/05/10 04:18 PM
01/05/10 04:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding sin being like poison:

Quote:
Human beings have severed their connection with God, and their souls have become palsied and strengthless by the deadly poison of sin.(CT 32)

"Deadly poison of sin" is the right way of thinking of sin. It is something which needs an antidote.

Quote:
The world must have an antidote for sin. As the medical missionary works intelligently to relieve suffering and save life, hearts are softened. Those who are helped are filled with gratitude. As the medical missionary works upon the body, God works upon the heart. The comforting words that are spoken are a soothing balm, bringing assurance and trust. Often the skilful operator will have an opportunity to tell of the work Christ did while He was upon this earth. Tell the suffering one the story of God's love.--Manuscript 58, 1901.

This is pretty cool. I had the thought, "it's something which needs an antidote," and decided to see what the SOP had to say about antidote, and here it is! "The world must have an antidote for sin." Amen!

As we think correctly about sin, that leads us to right conclusions regarding the Great Controversy, the atonement, the judgment, and what it is, in general, that God is trying to do.

Quote:
It is Satan's constant effort to misrepresent the character of God, the nature of sin, and the real issues at stake in the great controversy....At the same time he causes them to cherish false conceptions of God so that they regard Him with fear and hate rather than with love. The cruelty inherent in his own character is attributed to the Creator; it is embodied in systems of religion and expressed in modes of worship. Thus the minds of men are blinded, and Satan secures them as his agents to war against God. By perverted conceptions of the divine attributes, heathen nations were led to believe human sacrifices necessary to secure the favor of Deity; and horrible cruelties have been perpetrated under the various forms of idolatry.(GC 569)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122621
01/05/10 04:36 PM
01/05/10 04:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom, Are you being serious when you say that God will not burn the wicked in hell, with fire, as this would be "torture" and against the principle of love upon which His government is based? Or were you just trying to goad the discussion?

I truly am surprised you think the fire in Sodom was real fire. Certainly, it was a very sad event; not so much for the manner of destruction, as for the fact that the people had so dramatically rejected God.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122623
01/05/10 04:50 PM
01/05/10 04:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
M: I'm glad you believe we cannot know everything about God and heaven. Yes, the Bible often uses poetic and figurative speech to describe God. In some cases it would be absurd to take it literally. But as it applies to God glowing it seems entirely logical to take it literally. A&E were robed in light and glowed like God. Moses glowed when he returned from the mount. Divinity occasionally flashed through Jesus' garb of humanity. You're unwillingness to believe God literally glows baffles me. Why don't you believe God literally glows?

T: I've never said anything about God's glowing. To the best of my recollection, neither have you. Why do you have an opinion as to what I think in regards to this? I've never even thought of this, yet you're asking me why I don't believe it. What I have said is that important issues are spiritual ones, involving the character, as opposed to physical ones involving the flesh. Your posts strike me as being preoccupied with the latter.

My poorly worded question was aimed at discovering what you believe. Do you believe God glows like a lantern?

PS - Somewhere I asked if you think the fire that went out from the presence of God in the tabernacle and consumed Nabad and Abihu was like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Did you answer it? I really would like to know.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122624
01/05/10 05:10 PM
01/05/10 05:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, yes, it is very cool that the SOP uses the words "poison" and "antidote" in relation to the sin problem.

PS - Like GC, I was surprised at your reaction to his question regarding the fire that destroyed the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah. Are you saying you believe fire really, literally came down from God out of heaven? "Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground." I thought you said God withdrew His protection and oil or coal or something naturally occurring in the area burst into flames and killed them so quickly they really didn't suffer excruciating pain. Did I misunderstand you? Please don't ask me to find a quote. It would take too much time and effort. Thank you.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Tom] #122627
01/05/10 05:27 PM
01/05/10 05:27 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Tom,

Perhaps you have wondered why I do not address your red herrings of bread and water. It is because they are on a different plain entirely, and do not have the same significance, nor scriptural support. There is no text in scripture which says "God is water." Likewise, there is none which says "God is bread." However, we have texts which say "God is love," "God is light," and "God is a consuming fire." There is nothing in the presentation of these texts to indicate that it is purely symbolic, and not literal.

I am certain you do not take the view God is only "love" in a figurative sense. In contrast, the verse which says "Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day," must be taken figuratively, for there is no cannibalism, nor the eating of blood, allowed in Scripture. Spiritual things are spiritually discerned...but let us not "spiritualize" away the literal truths of the Bible into mere metaphors and figures of speech. There are times, certainly, when both literal and figurative value is present, and such is the case with the fire and light attributes of God.

Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Let me put the question to you thusly:

Were the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah burned with real, literal fire, or were they somehow consumed figuratively?

Literal fire. The flood was involved literal water.

Why you think this has any connection to God's literally being fire seems odd to me. Should we conclude that God is literally water since the flood was comprised of literal water?

I'm glad you recognize that it was literal fire which burned Sodom and Gomorrah. That fire represented God's vengeance, and indeed, His own Presence.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In the time of Abraham, mercy ceased to plead with the guilty inhabitants of Sodom, and all but Lot with his wife and two daughters were consumed by the fire sent down from heaven. {GC 431.1}

The world will have forgotten the admonition and warnings of God as did the inhabitants of the Noatic world, as did also the dwellers in Sodom. They awoke with all their plans and inventions of iniquity, but suddenly the shower of fire came from heaven and consumed the godless inhabitants. "Thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed" [Luke 17:30].--14MR 96, 97 (1896).

The inhabitants of Sodom passed the limits of divine forbearance, and there was kindled against them the fire of God's vengeance. {PK 297.2}

The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was on account of their great wickedness. They gave loose rein to their intemperate appetites, then to their corrupt passions, until they were so debased, and their sins were so abominable, that their cup of iniquity was full, and they were consumed with fire from heaven. {4aSG 121.3}

In the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, we see that the Lord will interfere; fire came down from heaven and destroyed these wicked cities. {TSA 52.3}

The inhabitants of Sodom, also, perished by fire, which was rained upon them from heaven, because they turned from God, and corrupting themselves, filled the earth with their polluted wisdom. {BEcho, February 1, 1897 par. 7}

God saw the corruptions of licentious Sodom, and, after hurrying Lot and his family from its borders, he rained fire upon the city, and it was turned to ashes, making it "an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly." When the world's Redeemer walked among men, bearing insult, reproach, and scorn, the Father beheld each indignity. Every word of mockery, every sneer, every act of contumely and hate, was marked in the books of remembrance. The Jewish nation suffered terrible judgments, because they rejected the Lord from heaven; but their deeds were not fully requited. Those who mocked and crucified the Son of God will come forth from their graves, and the deeds done in secrecy and darkness, as well as those done in the light of day, will be presented before them as they appear before the infinite Father. Every transgression will receive its just recompense of reward in the day of final retribution. {RH, March 27, 1888 par. 11}

When the first beams of the morning dawn, the inhabitants of Sodom are not aware of the departure of Lot and the angels. They were determined to abuse the strangers, but as they come to the house of Lot, it is found vacant, and the hour of doom comes upon them. And the Lord rains fire and brimstone upon the city, and the beautiful plain that looked like Paradise when the angels passed over it, now looks like a parched and blackened desert. The smoke of the burning goes up like the smoke of a great furnace, and the whole heaven is illuminated with the flames of the great conflagration. Sodom has become a place of desolation and ruin. {ST, October 16, 1893 par. 5}
The sin of the people rose up to heaven, and because of the iniquity of the people, the Lord poured out the vials of his wrath. The fearful doom of Sodom stands forth as a warning for all time, and especially for those who live in the last days. The destruction of Sodom was a symbol of the destruction that will come upon the finally impenitent, when tempests of fire come from above, and fountains of flame break forth from the crust of the earth. The fate of this ancient city should be a warning to all who live for self, and who corrupt their ways before God. The sin of Sodom is the sin of many cities now in existence, that have not been destroyed as was Sodom. Ezekiel says, "Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fullness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me; therefore I took them away as I saw good." {ST, October 16, 1893 par. 6}

Sodom was destroyed by bolts of fire from heaven. {ST, May 26, 1898 par. 7}
But as Sodom perished in the flames of God's vengeance, so will these proud structures become ashes. {ST, October 9, 1901 par. 3}

And Jude says, "Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" [Jude 7]. {19MR 105.1}

Mrs. White speaks of the fire of Sodom as "a great conflagration." Conflagration means "a very intense and uncontrolled fire; a large, destructive fire."

In that Bible verse in Jude, the word "eternal" means this, according to the lexicon: "without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be." There is none other than God who fits this description.

Hell will be more dreadful than the punishment of Sodom, for there are many references to others having greater sins than Sodom. Sodom was given us as an example, and Mrs. White says it is a "symbol" of the final destruction. In more than one place, the Bible calls it an "example" of that which is still future.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Green Cochoa] #122628
01/05/10 05:48 PM
01/05/10 05:48 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
kland, It's not clear whom you were asking, but I spoke to this issue in post #122584.

The Bible presents two possible outcomes with the Fire of God's Presence: 1) combustion, and 2) no combustion. In the latter case, it is always on account of righteousness and/or sinlessness, and in the former, there is always sin. The bush had not sinned. smile

When I put fire next to my bushes, they seem to combust!
Have my bushes sinned?

However, in the mentioned post, you said, "so God's "combustion" is not the ordinary form". If God's combustion is not the ordinary form, could His fire not be the ordinary form, too?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122630
01/05/10 06:22 PM
01/05/10 06:22 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
Likewise, there is none which says "God is bread."
No, but if Jesus is God:

John 6:33 "For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.

Quote:
I'm glad you recognize that it was literal fire which burned Sodom and Gomorrah. That fire represented God's vengeance, and indeed, His own Presence.
Would this imply that God's presence was not with Sodom and Gomorrah, He told Lot to leave, then He came to the cities? If His presence wasn't there, could we blame them for not knowing how to live?

A side note: are you saying His Presence is His vengeance?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122634
01/05/10 06:40 PM
01/05/10 06:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, do you believe God glows like a lantern?

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: Mountain Man] #122637
01/05/10 06:50 PM
01/05/10 06:50 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I'm sorry, I haven't really understood your reference to glowing like a lantern. I have heard someone try to explain God as E=mc2.

Re: The Suffering of the Lost [Re: kland] #122640
01/05/10 11:49 PM
01/05/10 11:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, Are you being serious when you say that God will not burn the wicked in hell, with fire, as this would be "torture" and against the principle of love upon which His government is based?

I'm against the idea that God will set people on fire, like a torch, to burn for hours or days at time, and can't imagine how anyone who believes in Jesus Christ, and His word "When you've seen Me, you've seen the Father," would think that God were capable of such a thing. I think this involves a huge misunderstanding of God's character.

I've stated this many times, and was very serious in so stating.

I think understanding the principle that sin is deadly would prevent many errors, including this one.

Quote:
Or were you just trying to goad the discussion?

No. I don't recall doing this, except a couple of times I did try to see if certain people would admit to an error, without luck, when they were clearly wrong. With this exception, I don't recall discussing anything I didn't think was important spiritually.

Quote:
I truly am surprised you think the fire in Sodom was real fire.

That seems odd to me. What else could it have been?

Quote:
Certainly, it was a very sad event; not so much for the manner of destruction, as for the fact that the people had so dramatically rejected God.

Yes, this is sad, like the destruction of Jerusalem is sad, which also involved real fire. The same principles were involved in both events.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Page 73 of 105 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 104 105

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by Daryl. 06/17/24 02:24 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!