HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,677
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Kevin H, dedication, Karen Y, Wendell Slattery), 2,206 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123964
03/10/10 05:46 AM
03/10/10 05:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
At first you said, no, it was not because of the hardness of their hearts that Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners.

Probably a FOTAP response. That is, you phrase things in a way that forces me to say "no" no matter what you ask, because I disagree with the assumptions involved in your questions.

Quote:
But now it sounds like you're saying, yes, it was because of the hardness of their hearts. Which is what I thought you were saying all along.

If you take what I say in my own words, that's probably an easier way to understand what I'm saying.

Quote:
Also, in what sense do you think Jesus commanding something is different than permitting something?

The story of the father/hunter should have made that clear.

Quote:
Is He more or less responsible, culpable for the outcome?

Yes (as the story makes clear).

Quote:

Quote:
5. Finally, was Moses guilty of violence when he obeyed Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: What does "guilty of violence" mean? I should repeat that I don't think there's any fruit in this. I keep saying this, but it just goes on and on and on, like the Energizer bunny. If we're interested in understanding God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses. Jesus Christ was the revelation of God. All that man can know of God was revealed by His life and character. We should be studying this revelation, which was given with the express purpose of revealing the Father. I think we have a fundamental disagreement regarding this point. I think you don't believe that Christ's revelation was superior or necessary. That's my impression.

M:In the past you've indicated executing capital punishment is arbitrary and violent. Did I misunderstand you?

Yes, I think so. I don't think I've ever made this comment in regards to capital punishment. I'm quite sure I haven't.

Quote:
If not, do you think Moses was executing an arbitrary, violent form of punishment when he obeyed Jesus and killed sinners?

And, I have been trying to following your advice and counsel to study Jesus in the NT in order to understand why, in the OT, He included capital punishment in the law and why He commanded people like Moses to kill sinners.

Please refer to my post just before this one.

Quote:
Also, no, I do not think Jesus' revelation of God's character in the OT is inferior or that His revelation in the NT is superior.

I think that's a problem. The New Testament clearly teaches that Christ is a revelation of God which didn't exist before, especially Christ crucified.

Quote:
I believe Jesus clearly revealed God's character in both testaments. "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2}

The context of this is Jesus' Bible Study to the disciples on the road to Emaus.

Quote:
It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}

Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. {DA 799.3}

It's clear this is pointing forward to Christ. The Savior, as One who would come, was clearly revealed in the Old Testament. But Christ had a work to do, which was prophesied, and which was necessary.

From what you write, it sounds almost as if you think there was no need for Christ to come to do that which was the whole purpose of His ministry, which was to reveal God. If God had already been clearly and fully revealed, why did Christ need to come to do this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123967
03/10/10 02:02 PM
03/10/10 02:02 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
There's no contradiction in the statements. You are merely misunderstanding them. The right spirit is possible when the timing and circumstances are right for burning sinners alive. However, it is also possible to have the wrong spirit when the timing and circumstances are right for burning sinners alive. Motives make the difference. If the reasons for calling down fire are in harmony with the will of God then the motives are right and the spirit is right. But if the reasons for calling down fire are not in harmony with the will of God then the motives are wrong and the spirit is wrong. Elijah is a perfect example of being in harmony with the will of God, of having the right motives and the right spirit. The disciples are a perfect example of not being in harmony with the will of God and having the wrong motives and the wrong spirit.

I suppose I am not understanding your statements. I am trying to understand what you are saying but am having a hard time as it seems to me to be contradictory. However, your above statement seems to suggest that there are two things going on which may have been why I'm having a hard time understanding.

Right spirit:
Timing and circumstances must be right.
Reasons in harmony with the will of God.
(Not sure what you defined motives but sounds equivalent to Right Spirit)

But it still is confusing when you say the "disciples are a perfect example of not being in harmony with the will of God and having the wrong motives and the wrong spirit."

I see an example of recursion in that statement. Do you?
Probably not since you said it. I'm still trying to understand what a right or wrong spirit is. Maybe you could help by saying what is being out of harmony with the will of God.

So far, all I have understood from you saying is that the disciples asked to call fire down when it was not the right time. It sounds harsh to me for Jesus to give them such rebuke for a technical issue of timing. So, it must be they were out of harmony with the will of God. Seems like we're back to the original question just worded differently. How were they out of harmony, how could they be in harmony with the will of God to call fire down on the Samaritans?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123972
03/10/10 04:39 PM
03/10/10 04:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Tom
Originally Posted By: MM
Tom has commented at length on Luke 9:56. I'm surprised you haven't noticed. Please go back and read what he wrote and then let me know if you think he believes it represents Jesus withdrawing His protection, like He did in the OT, and permitting sinners to suffer and die. Thank you.

This is from a post addressed to kland. I'm not wanting to get too involved, as I enjoy reading the discussion between you two, but will just interject that I'm a bit surprised by this question. What you're asking about is certainly not something which entered my mind when I commented on the passage in Luke.

I may have misunderstood Kland when he expressed shock when I commented you affirmed Jesus never withdrew His protection, while here in the flesh, and permitted sinners to suffer and die. He listed Luke 8-10 as examples of Jesus withdrawing and I assumed he did so to disprove my observation. I encouraged him to go back and read what you wrote assuming he would discover what I observed.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123973
03/10/10 04:50 PM
03/10/10 04:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Ok, let's study what Jesus Christ lived and taught in regards to violence. How did Christ respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to protect Him? How did He respond when His disciples wanted to use violence to punish? How did Christ Himself respond to those who would violently treat Him?

With regards to your question, in the flesh Christ said, in regards to Jerusalem, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

Here Christ speaks of the protection He longed to offer Jerusalem, but they would not.

M: Now that you've affirmed Jesus did not, while here in the flesh, withdraw His protection and permit evil to befall sinners, how does it help us understand why Jesus did it so many times in the OT?

T: I don't understand how you're reading what I wrote, MM. Here's what I suggest. For a given amount of time, just forget about the Old Testament. Do what Ellen White suggested, spending a thoughtful hour each day on the life of Christ, especially the latter scenes. Remember that the whole purpose of Christ's ministry was the revelation of God.

Like those in Christ's day, we all have wrong conceptions as to God's character and the principles of His government. By considering Christ afresh, we can obtain a new perspective, the new wineskin that Christ spoke of.

Consider the teachings of Christ afresh, as if they were new to you, paying special attention to what Christ is trying to communicate. How were the attitudes of the Pharisees, and even Christ's disciples, wrong? What principles did He point out to them in regards to God's character and His government?

It's so easy for us to read into Christ's teachings our own ideas as opposed to allowing His teachings to challenge our paradigm, and give us new wineskins.

I appreciate the suggestion. You may be delighted to learn that I do indeed spend a minimum of an hour a day on the life and death of Jesus. I often take long walks with the dog and listen to the Bible, and books like DA, MB, COL, SC, etc on an Ipod. "Faith cometh by hearing."

And it occurs to me over and over again that not once did Jesus withdraw His protection, while here in the flesh, and permit sinners to suffer and die. Therefore, it makes me stop and ponder - Why does Tom believe we can understand why Jesus commanded people like Moses in the OT to kill sinners by limiting our study to the life and death of Jesus in the NT?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123974
03/10/10 05:37 PM
03/10/10 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: At first you said, no, it was not because of the hardness of their hearts that Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners.

T: Probably a FOTAP response. That is, you phrase things in a way that forces me to say "no" no matter what you ask, because I disagree with the assumptions involved in your questions.

Again, here’s the dialog:

Quote:
M: I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

Regarding the first question, were you objecting to the “main reason” concept? If so, what do you think was the “main reason” Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? If not on account of their hardened hearts, what else do you think was the main reason? Please feel free to use the NT as the basis of your explanation. Thank you.

Quote:
M: But now it sounds like you're saying, yes, it was because of the hardness of their hearts. Which is what I thought you were saying all along.

T: If you take what I say in my own words, that's probably an easier way to understand what I'm saying.

Here’s what you said, “Capital punishment existed because of the hardness of their hearts.” Is this the same thing as saying, yes, Jesus commanded godly people like Moses to kill sinners because the Jews were hard-hearted and expected it?

Quote:
M: Also, in what sense do you think Jesus commanding something is different than permitting something?

T: The story of the father/hunter should have made that clear.

The father taught his son how to hunt in a humane manner. How does this aspect of the analogy demonstrate the difference between Jesus commanding godly people like Moses to kill sinners and Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting the forces of nature or evil angels or evil men to kill sinners?

Quote:
M: Is He more or less responsible, culpable for the outcome?

T: Yes (as the story makes clear).

To be clear, are you saying the humane hunter analogy makes it clear Jesus is culpable for the death of sinners He commanded godly people like Moses to kill?

Quote:
5. Finally, was Moses guilty of violence when he obeyed Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: What does "guilty of violence" mean? I should repeat that I don't think there's any fruit in this. I keep saying this, but it just goes on and on and on, like the Energizer bunny. If we're interested in understanding God's character, we should look to Jesus Christ, not Moses. Jesus Christ was the revelation of God. All that man can know of God was revealed by His life and character. We should be studying this revelation, which was given with the express purpose of revealing the Father. I think we have a fundamental disagreement regarding this point. I think you don't believe that Christ's revelation was superior or necessary. That's my impression.

M: In the past you've indicated executing capital punishment is arbitrary and violent. Did I misunderstand you? If not, do you think Moses was executing an arbitrary, violent form of punishment when he obeyed Jesus and killed sinners?

T: Yes, I think so. I don't think I've ever made this comment in regards to capital punishment. I'm quite sure I haven't.

Do you believe executing capital punishment is arbitrary and violent? For example, do you think godly people like Moses were executing an arbitrary, violent form of punishment when they obeyed Jesus and killed sinners?

Quote:
M: Also, no, I do not think Jesus' revelation of God's character in the OT is inferior or that His revelation in the NT is superior.

T: I think that's a problem. The New Testament clearly teaches that Christ is a revelation of God which didn't exist before, especially Christ crucified.

M: I believe Jesus clearly revealed God's character in both testaments. "The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New." {DA 799.2}

T: The context of this is Jesus' Bible Study to the disciples on the road to Emaus. “It is the voice of Christ that speaks through patriarchs and prophets, from the days of Adam even to the closing scenes of time. The Saviour is revealed in the Old Testament as clearly as in the New. It is the light from the prophetic past that brings out the life of Christ and the teachings of the New Testament with clearness and beauty. The miracles of Christ are a proof of His divinity; but a stronger proof that He is the world's Redeemer is found in comparing the prophecies of the Old Testament with the history of the New. {DA 799.2}

“Reasoning from prophecy, Christ gave His disciples a correct idea of what He was to be in humanity. Their expectation of a Messiah who was to take His throne and kingly power in accordance with the desires of men had been misleading. It would interfere with a correct apprehension of His descent from the highest to the lowest position that could be occupied. Christ desired that the ideas of His disciples might be pure and true in every specification. They must understand as far as possible in regard to the cup of suffering that had been apportioned to Him. He showed them that the awful conflict which they could not yet comprehend was the fulfillment of the covenant made before the foundation of the world was laid. {DA 799.3}

It's clear this is pointing forward to Christ. The Savior, as One who would come, was clearly revealed in the Old Testament. But Christ had a work to do, which was prophesied, and which was necessary. From what you write, it sounds almost as if you think there was no need for Christ to come to do that which was the whole purpose of His ministry, which was to reveal God. If God had already been clearly and fully revealed, why did Christ need to come to do this?

Do you agree Jesus came the first time to bear the sins of the world and to taste death for everyone, to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice, to make pardon and salvation possible for penitent sinners, and that in doing so He revealed the character of God? And, do you agree Jesus will come the second time to resurrect and translate the redeemed, and that in doing so He will reveal the character of God? Finally, do you agree Jesus will come the third time to resurrect unsaved sinners, to execute justice and judgment, to restore paradise, and that in doing so He will reveal the character of God?

If you agree with all of the above, then we are in agreement Jesus did not come the first time to execute justice and judgment. Accordingly, we should also be in agreement Jesus did not come the first time to demonstrate how and why He executed justice and judgment in the OT. Therefore, we cannot study the life and death of Jesus in the NT in order to understand why He commanded godly people like Moses to kill sinners. Do you see what I mean?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123975
03/10/10 05:47 PM
03/10/10 05:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Kland, the timing and circumstances were not right for Jesus to rain down fire on the Samaritans. The disciples wanted to call down fire for the wrong reasons. Jesus said so. I also quoted Ellen White who elaborated on how and why their spirit was wrong. You seem to think calling down fire on sinners is intrinsically, inherently evil and, therefore, never right. Or, have I misunderstood you? If not, do you believe Elijah's spirit was wrong when he called down fire on the two bands of fifty? And, do you believe Jesus made a mistake when He rained down fire on them?

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Mountain Man] #123991
03/10/10 09:00 PM
03/10/10 09:00 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I did find this from Tom:
I believe that compelling power is found only under Satan's government. I believe Christ responded correctly when He told the disciples, "You know not of what spirit you are," when they suggested He destroy the Samaritans by setting them on fire.

God is not the destroyer. Satan is the destroyer. The Lord is the restorer.

Oh and then this:
This says the wrath of God came upon them. You interpret this as meaning that "Jesus initiated it." You have preset ideas as to what phrases mean, so when you come across a certain phrase, you interpret it to mean something you already think, even though the phrase itself says nothing of the sort.

The wrath of God is not His getting angry and smiting people, but His reluctant withdraw, allowing people to experience the result of their choice:

He lists some texts and then this:
In the above texts, the following may be noted:

1)The text mentions God’s anger, wrath or fury
2)This is explained as God’s hiding His face, delivering up those who have rejected Him, or withdrawing.
3)Bad things happen when God withdraws.

Were any of those things what you had in mind?

While you are technically correct that Tom did speak about Luke 9 after I brought it up, I still don't see Tom as commenting about it as Jesus withdrawing His protection. But, if you want to assume what Tom would say about it, I would venture a wild guess that he might possibly believe Jesus was withdrawing from the Samaritans.

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Kland, the timing and circumstances were not right for Jesus to rain down fire on the Samaritans. The disciples wanted to call down fire for the wrong reasons. Jesus said so. I also quoted Ellen White who elaborated on how and why their spirit was wrong.

There is page after page where I keep asking you over and over to explain what "right spirit" is. You seem to avoid defining it for some reason. The best I can see you explaining it is that "Jesus said so". Reminds me of the, God said, I believe it, that is all there is to it idea. Are you ok with that explanation and see no need for understanding why it is not the right spirit nor further discussion?

Was the quote where you said Ellen White elaborated this one:
Quote:
"James and John, Christ's messengers, were greatly annoyed at the insult shown to their Lord. They were filled with indignation because He had been so rudely treated by the Samaritans whom He was honoring by His presence. They had recently been with Him on the mount of transfiguration, and had seen Him glorified by God, and honored by Moses and Elijah. This manifest dishonor on the part of the Samaritans, should not, they thought, be passed over without marked punishment. {DA 487.1}
I would fail to see that as an elaboration, but it does seem to me to make one question if wrong spirit meant what you mean it to be. It seems to me she is saying that they had been with Jesus through all these things and yet, they missed His whole character. Could others also miss His character?

Quote:
You seem to think calling down fire on sinners is intrinsically, inherently evil and, therefore, never right. Or, have I misunderstood you? If not, do you believe Elijah's spirit was wrong when he called down fire on the two bands of fifty? And, do you believe Jesus made a mistake when He rained down fire on them?

Yes, you do understand me that I believe setting people on fire is "intrinsically, inherently evil and, therefore, never right".
I also believe Jesus did not rain fire down on anyone.
Fallacy of the assumed premise.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: kland] #123996
03/10/10 09:56 PM
03/10/10 09:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
M: I know I've asked these questions before, but I do not remember your answers.

1. Do you think the main reason Jesus commanded Moses to kill sinners was because sin-hardened Jews expected it?
2. If so, was it wrong or sinful for Jesus to command killing sinners?
3. And, was it wrong or sinful for Moses to obey Jesus' command to kill sinners?

T: No to all questions. None of this reflects my thinking.

M:Regarding the first question, were you objecting to the “main reason” concept? If so, what do you think was the “main reason” Jesus commanded people like Moses to kill sinners? If not on account of their hardened hearts, what else do you think was the main reason? Please feel free to use the NT as the basis of your explanation. Thank you.

I think the father/hunter story explains my thoughts better than anything else.

Quote:
M: But now it sounds like you're saying, yes, it was because of the hardness of their hearts. Which is what I thought you were saying all along.

T: If you take what I say in my own words, that's probably an easier way to understand what I'm saying.

M:Here’s what you said, “Capital punishment existed because of the hardness of their hearts.” Is this the same thing as saying, yes, Jesus commanded godly people like Moses to kill sinners because the Jews were hard-hearted and expected it?

No.

Quote:
M: Also, in what sense do you think Jesus commanding something is different than permitting something?

T: The story of the father/hunter should have made that clear.

M:The father taught his son how to hunt in a humane manner. How does this aspect of the analogy demonstrate the difference between Jesus commanding godly people like Moses to kill sinners and Jesus withdrawing His protection and permitting the forces of nature or evil angels or evil men to kill sinners?

It explains the principles involved in terms of how someone hearing the conversation of a constrained person might come to a wrong conclusion in regards to the values and principles of the person being constrained. God, in dealing with the Israelites, was constrained. Jesus Christ, in the flesh, was not thus constrained; He fully and completely revealed God's character in a way that could not be done before.

The importance of Jesus Christ's work in revealing the Father cannot be overemphasized. This was absolutely something which needed to be done.

Quote:
M: Is He more or less responsible, culpable for the outcome?

T: Yes (as the story makes clear).

M:To be clear, are you saying the humane hunter analogy makes it clear Jesus is culpable for the death of sinners He commanded godly people like Moses to kill?

You asked if He was more or less responsible. I said he was, in accordance with how the story explained.

God isn't responsible at all is the clearer way of putting it, which the story makes clear.

Quote:
T: Yes, I think so. I don't think I've ever made this comment in regards to capital punishment. I'm quite sure I haven't.

M:Do you believe executing capital punishment is arbitrary and violent?

I haven't said anything about this. I don't have any intention of doing so.

Quote:
For example, do you think godly people like Moses were executing an arbitrary, violent form of punishment when they obeyed Jesus and killed sinners?

I'll again refer to the father/hunter story. I cannot answer your questions as you put them because they are embedded with assumptions with which I don't agree. I've pointed this out to you repeatedly. Simply repeating the same questions isn't going to help.

Quote:
T:It's clear this is pointing forward to Christ. The Savior, as One who would come, was clearly revealed in the Old Testament. But Christ had a work to do, which was prophesied, and which was necessary. From what you write, it sounds almost as if you think there was no need for Christ to come to do that which was the whole purpose of His ministry, which was to reveal God. If God had already been clearly and fully revealed, why did Christ need to come to do this?

M:Do you agree Jesus came the first time to bear the sins of the world and to taste death for everyone, to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice, to make pardon and salvation possible for penitent sinners, and that in doing so He revealed the character of God?

Not as you're thinking, no.

Quote:
And, do you agree Jesus will come the second time to resurrect and translate the redeemed, and that in doing so He will reveal the character of God? Finally, do you agree Jesus will come the third time to resurrect unsaved sinners, to execute justice and judgment, to restore paradise, and that in doing so He will reveal the character of God?

Of course anything Jesus does revealed God's character, since Jesus is God, but this doesn't have anything to do with my point.

Quote:
If you agree with all of the above, then we are in agreement Jesus did not come the first time to execute justice and judgment. Accordingly, we should also be in agreement Jesus did not come the first time to demonstrate how and why He executed justice and judgment in the OT. Therefore, we cannot study the life and death of Jesus in the NT in order to understand why He commanded godly people like Moses to kill sinners. Do you see what I mean?

I completely disagree with your whole framework. That is, what Jesus' mission was when He came the first time. The whole purpose of His mission was the revelation of God. That's what I believe. Why? Because this is what man's problem was; He didn't know what God was like.

Every aspect of the Great Controversy involved God's character and the principles of His government. Jesus Christ came to make it possible for God to win the Great Controversy. He did so by revelation.

It doesn't appear you answered the following question:

Quote:
From what you write, it sounds almost as if you think there was no need for Christ to come to do that which was the whole purpose of His ministry, which was to reveal God. If God had already been clearly and fully revealed, why did Christ need to come to do this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123997
03/10/10 10:17 PM
03/10/10 10:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I may have misunderstood Kland when he expressed shock when I commented you affirmed Jesus never withdrew His protection, while here in the flesh, and permitted sinners to suffer and die.

I don't recall affirming this. I think I've mentioned the destruction of Jerusalem as an example of this principle at least a dozen times.

Quote:
He listed Luke 8-10 as examples of Jesus withdrawing and I assumed he did so to disprove my observation. I encouraged him to go back and read what you wrote assuming he would discover what I observed.

I know I had no thought of what you're talking about in any comments regarding Luke 9:24, so I don't see how this would help.

kland knows how I think. It's the same as he does on this subject. I'm not aware of our having any disagreement.

Re: Why did God command capital punishment? [Re: Tom] #123998
03/10/10 10:19 PM
03/10/10 10:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
I appreciate the suggestion. You may be delighted to learn that I do indeed spend a minimum of an hour a day on the life and death of Jesus. I often take long walks with the dog and listen to the Bible, and books like DA, MB, COL, SC, etc on an Ipod. "Faith cometh by hearing."

And it occurs to me over and over again that not once did Jesus withdraw His protection, while here in the flesh, and permit sinners to suffer and die.

Why would you think about this?

Quote:
Therefore, it makes me stop and ponder - Why does Tom believe we can understand why Jesus commanded people like Moses in the OT to kill sinners by limiting our study to the life and death of Jesus in the NT?

Let's step away from this a moment, and consider the bigger question: What is God like? What is He passionate about? In your meditations of Christ, what ideas come to your mind?

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!