HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,661
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (daylily, ProdigalOne, dedication, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 54 of 103 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127227
09/01/10 01:25 PM
09/01/10 01:25 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
This hardly sounds like the coming of Christ is a fixed date that we can't affect.

EGW tells us that Christ was disappointed that He couldn't come in the 1888 era, I think it was in 1903, and Christ is omniscient now (at least, it's my belief that He is).

At any rate, none of these are moral questions, like the two examples I gave. (Free will -- libertarian definition, and God's responsibility for the existence of sin).

Christ said that the Father knew the day and the hour of Christ's coming. This is a fixed date, no matter how you slice it.
And this is a moral question as much as the others you presented. Either what Jesus said wasn't true, or Christ's coming depends on God and not on man; if the church can be led to get ready by special heavenly influences, why is God's church being retained in this world of sin and suffering for so long?
As to the problem of free will, one doesn't have to necessarily hold to a libertarian definition. As to the problem of Lucifer's creation, at least God created him (and the other creatures) before the inception of sin in the universe; but God created Adam after sin - which means that He at least exposed Adam to the risk of sin. So if there are problems with Lucifer's creation, there are also problems with Adam's creation.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127228
09/01/10 01:31 PM
09/01/10 01:31 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Something interesting I've just found on the Internet:

Quote:
If I flip a coin, look at it, and then ask you to call it, what are the odds that the coin is heads? From my perspective, the odds are either 1 or 0, because I've seen the result. For you, the fact that I've seen the result doesn't change the fact that you don't know what it is, so for you the odds are 50/50. If I hadn't looked at the coin, that wouldn't change the fact that the outcome was already set. So the odds are not based on some inherent variability in the outcome, they are based on our personal uncertainty about the outcome. Likewise, one's hope regarding one's fate is not based on what God already knows, but on your own degree of certainty or uncertainty.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127229
09/01/10 02:13 PM
09/01/10 02:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
He is a charismatic figure and gifted speaker who was lucky enough to assume the government of the country when inflation was already under control and who captivated the poor population with the "Family Allowance", which is a controversial program,
I was right along with Vaster until you shed more light on the issue. That's horrible! I read
"on condition that their children attend school and are vaccinated."
I don't suppose that includes homeschooling and suspect the vaccination part might include "family planning".

Which raises a whole different issue. Vaster was saying they vote out of love for the guy when really it may be they are voting for a free handout. That's one way of looking at it. Another way is they are voting out of fear for not getting the free handout or having their family fail.
Interesting thought.
Does sin not raise a second time because of love for the Guy, or because of fear?

Quote:
If I flip a coin, look at it, and then ask you to call it, what are the odds that the coin is heads? From my perspective, the odds are either 1 or 0, because I've seen the result.
I believe I disagree with it. I'm not sure I understand what it means, but considering all the possibilities I think it means, I disagree. Your odds are 50/50 or they are 1 however it means. But from your perspective, odds doesn't make sense. I mean, what are the odds you have the coin? Do odds apply in all circumstances? For example, what are the odds you just read this.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #127230
09/01/10 02:21 PM
09/01/10 02:21 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, since you have not responded to the repeated request of a response to the following, shall we conclude that you do not think Tom's comment was worth giving a response to?

Originally Posted By: Tom
Second, it would raise the question as to why God would create a creature that He was certain would sin. There's really no answer to this. Some say that if He didn't create Lucifer/Satan, that would be violating his free will, but that's ridiculous since a creature who doesn't exist doesn't have free will. Another argument is that God wanted evil to exist so that His goodness could be manifest, but that has implications which are negative as well. What it would come down to is that God preferred a universe that had sin in it to one that didn't.

In what way is it not worth responding to?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127231
09/01/10 03:09 PM
09/01/10 03:09 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Something interesting I've just found on the Internet:

"If I flip a coin, look at it, and then ask you to call it, what are the odds that the coin is heads? From my perspective, the odds are either 1 or 0, because I've seen the result. For you, the fact that I've seen the result doesn't change the fact that you don't know what it is, so for you the odds are 50/50. If I hadn't looked at the coin, that wouldn't change the fact that the outcome was already set. So the odds are not based on some inherent variability in the outcome, they are based on our personal uncertainty about the outcome. Likewise, one's hope regarding one's fate is not based on what God already knows, but on your own degree of certainty or uncertainty."

If the coin came up heads, the odds that it is heads is 1. The fact that a person has seen it or not doesn't change that. A person who didn't know what the result was, out of ignorance, might guess that the odds were 50/50. But for all he knew, it could be a 2-sided coin. Ignorance is not a basis for setting odds.

Similarly, if the future is fixed, then the odds of a given event (say a person being saved or lost) is 1 (or 0), and his/her ignorance of that fact doesn't change the reality. Reality is what it is, despite ones ignorance of facts.

Put another way, reality is how God perceives it to be. That's what's important. If He perceives the future as fixed, then the future is fixed, and our perception that it's not fixed is a delusion based on ignorance.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127232
09/01/10 03:29 PM
09/01/10 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Tom, your view of God makes it impossible for FMAs throughout the Universe to believe with absolute certainty "affliction shall not rise up the second time."

T: No it doesn't. Before I respond to this again, you've raised this point in the past, and I responded. Do you recall what I said?

M: You said something to the effect God knows all the possible future outcomes based on all the possible choices everyone might make for eternity and knows with absolute certainty none of the choices will result in rebellion.

T: Very good! So it (my view) doesn't make it impossible for FMAs (free moral agents) to know with certainty that sin won't arise again (unless you think it's impossible that God can see every possibility, or that in none of the possibilities does sin arise again). There's also the judgment to consider. The character of all will have been revealed.

Anyone can say the same thing about the Messianic prophecies that you're saying about Nahum 1:9. Who's to say you're right and they're wrong? That is, why can't they say God knew that none of the possible choices and outcomes involved Jesus failing?

Quote:
M: Tom, is it safe to say it defies your understanding of logic and time and space if it is true God knows the future like history?

T: No ...

M: What then? Is the opposite true? That is, if God knows the future like history it supports your view of the future and time and space?

T: Why "time and space"? Also, you left out logic. My previous answer (which you cut off) addressed the logic part of the question. If the future really consists of only things that must happen, but of which we are ignorant (but God knows), as opposed to including possibilities, and being such that we can impact it, then I'm wrong about that.

I include time and space because it speaks to God's ability to know the future like history. If God possesses the supernatural ability to know the future like history it would not alter how things play out in real time. Again, in the same way reading history books does not alter the outcome or eliminate free will, so too, God knowing the facts after the fact does not in the least alter how things play out in real time and nor does it eliminate free will. The fact you disagree with this logic baffles me.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #127233
09/01/10 03:35 PM
09/01/10 03:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: västergötland
M: Thomas, can you explain how God created everything out of nothing (i.e. nothing existed before God created it) using human logic and natural law?

V: As I said before, it cannot be explained through natural law (as far as I am aware). Logic is a method of arguing where you cannot contradict yourself and conclusions must follow from your premises. If the premises are that Gods omnipotence allows Him to create out of nothing and Gods love urges Him to create beings to love, then there is nothing illogical about creation.

Okay. So, given the content of this thread, is it accurate to say there is nothing illogical about God knowing the future like history, that it in no way alters how things play out in real time, and that it in no way limits or eliminates free will?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #127234
09/01/10 03:36 PM
09/01/10 03:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Put another way, reality is how God perceives it to be. That's what's important. If He perceives the future as fixed, then the future is fixed, and our perception that it's not fixed is a delusion based on ignorance.

Precisely. Probability has to do with ignorance, and if God also doesn't know how the future will play out, we are ignorant and He is, too (neither we nor He have seen the coin). But how can ignorance be called omniscience?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: kland] #127235
09/01/10 03:45 PM
09/01/10 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
MM, since you have not responded to the repeated request of a response to the following, shall we conclude that you do not think Tom's comment was worth giving a response to?

Second, it would raise the question as to why God would create a creature that He was certain would sin. There's really no answer to this. Some say that if He didn't create Lucifer/Satan, that would be violating his free will, but that's ridiculous since a creature who doesn't exist doesn't have free will. Another argument is that God wanted evil to exist so that His goodness could be manifest, but that has implications which are negative as well. What it would come down to is that God preferred a universe that had sin in it to one that didn't.

In what way is it not worth responding to?

Here's what I've said about this point on this thread:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Jesus knew with absolute certainty He would succeed on the cross.

K: Again, you have not defined what risk is. How did He risk all, if there was no risk? What is risk?

Risk refers to the fact Jesus took upon Himself the ability and freedom to sin, fall, and fail and that He could have sinned, fallen, and failed. As an aside, do you think risk included the possibility Satan might kill Jesus?

Quote:
M: Peril is in the eyes of the beholder. From the Father's point of view (the future is like history) Jesus succeeded and heaven is not in danger. Also, from the very beginning, unfallen beings have been absolutely certain the Father and the Son will win the GC. They have never doubted it. So, in what sense was heaven in peril?

K: Interesting position you've set yourself in. At what point, do you suppose, that the fallen angels, before they were fallen, went from absolutely certain God was right to either certain God was wrong, or uncertain God was right. What are the fallen angels certain or uncertain of now? What caused their condition of certainty to change? Is it possible for one who is certain to lose the certainty?

I was referring to unfallen angels living after the great controversy began. From that time forward they have never doubted God will win and Satan will lose. So, in what sense, before Jesus succeeded on the cross, were they in peril?

To answer your questions above, obviously it is possible to go from feeling certain to feeling uncertain. Why did one-third of the angels rebel? I suppose that's a mystery we won't understand until Jesus explains it to us in heaven.

Quote:
M: For God the future is like a rerun. He knows what will happen because He has already watched it play out. He's not like us in that we can only guess several ways something might play out. Reporting the facts after the fact does not alter the facts. Like reading a history book and knowing ahead of time how it will end does not alter reality.

K: If we were to assume that God knew absolutely certain Jesus would succeed, that He knows everything, then would it follow He knew absolutely certain that Lucifer would fail? And if He knew that, why Did He create Lucifer? Is this some sort of Yin-Yang idea that God created evil so that we can "know His love" when He removes it?

Yes, the Godhead knew in advance, before they created anything, which angels and humans would rebel and be destroyed in the lake of fire. Why did the Godhead create them anyhow? The following passages provide an insight:

The plan for our redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam. It was a revelation of "the mystery which hath been kept in silence through times eternal." Rom. 16:25, R. V. It was an unfolding of the principles that from eternal ages have been the foundation of God's throne. From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. So great was His love for the world, that He covenanted to give His only-begotten Son, "that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16. {DA 22.2}

The purpose and plan of grace existed from all eternity. Before the foundation of the world it was according to the determinate counsel of God that man should be created, endowed with power to do the divine will. But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

The fall of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent. Redemption was not an afterthought, a plan formulated after the fall of Adam, but an eternal purpose, suffered to be wrought out for the blessing not only of this atom of a world, but for the good of all the worlds that God had created. {ST, December 15, 1914 par. 3}

Does this count as an answer?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #127236
09/01/10 03:48 PM
09/01/10 03:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:

Precisely. Probability has to do with ignorance, and if God also doesn't know how the future will play out, we are ignorant are He is, too (neither we nor He have seen the coin). But how can ignorance be called omniscience?

And, how can such ignorance elicit adoration and confidence?

Page 54 of 103 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by Rick H. 06/01/24 09:38 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!