HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #136515
10/06/11 11:28 PM
10/06/11 11:28 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Adam did not cease being born of God when he neglected to abide in Jesus.

I disagree. One cannot be born of God unless he abides in Jesus. Once you separate from Jesus, you are no longer a child of God. You become a slave that must be redeemed.

Quote:
1 John 5:4
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

John tells us that whoever is born of God overcomes the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the pride of life. But Adam fell in all three aspects. No, he was not born of God at that time.

Last edited by asygo; 10/06/11 11:30 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: StewartC] #136516
10/06/11 11:36 PM
10/06/11 11:36 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: StewartC
But to employ any language that expresses the impossibility of sinning, is fraught [in my view] with subtle dangers.

Certainly, to say that sin becomes completely impossible is wrong. There are issues of freedom that would be impacted.

However, to say that one who is abiding in Jesus has not the ability to sin while in that state, is merely echoing the teachings of John, among others. One must choose between God and sin; he cannot have both.

Last edited by asygo; 10/07/11 06:20 AM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: StewartC] #136529
10/07/11 04:34 PM
10/07/11 04:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: StewartC
M: Put another way, born-again believers who are abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature are not only not sinning, more importantly, they are, while thus connected, "perfecting holiness in the fear of God." Neglecting to abide in Jesus results in resurrecting the mind of the old man and resuming a life of sin. Reverting back to the resurrected mind of the old man, however, does not undo rebirth. It's just that while they are disconnected from Jesus they are no longer able to benefit from the holy traits and sinless attributes Jesus implanted within them the instant they experienced rebirth. The gift of repentance, praise the Lord, empowers them to the repent which, in turn, gives God the right to forgive them and to restore them to the mind of the new man. Thus restored, they resume abiding in Jesus, partaking of the divine nature, perfecting holiness unto the honor and glory of God our Father. Adam did not cease being born of God when he neglected to abide in Jesus.

S: Good. Yes, thank you, I agree with all this. But to employ any language that expresses the impossibility of sinning, is fraught [in my view] with subtle dangers.

True. We are always free to cease abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature, either by willfully refusing to do so or by unwittingly neglecting to do so, once thus disconnected from Jesus all we can do is sin. "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy." {SC 59.4} The good news is, though, that while we are actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus and partaking of the divine nature we "do not sin" and we "cannot sin". Thank you, Jesus.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: asygo] #136530
10/07/11 04:47 PM
10/07/11 04:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
Adam did not cease being born of God when he neglected to abide in Jesus.

I disagree. One cannot be born of God unless he abides in Jesus. Once you separate from Jesus, you are no longer a child of God. You become a slave that must be redeemed.

Quote:
1 John 5:4
For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

John tells us that whoever is born of God overcomes the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, the pride of life. But Adam fell in all three aspects. No, he was not born of God at that time.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I agree. Spiritually speaking we cease being a child of God while we are walking in the mind of the old man, living as slaves and servants of sin, self, and Satan. But physically speaking everyone, including evil angels, is a child of God. The miracle of rebirth doesn't cease being a fact of history while we are walking in the mind of old man. Also, the short period of time that elapses between sinning, repenting, and being restored to the mind of new man isn't long enough to seriously derail the momentum we gained while faithfully walking in the mind of the new man.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #136533
10/07/11 05:43 PM
10/07/11 05:43 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Spiritually speaking we cease being a child of God while we are walking in the mind of the old man, living as slaves and servants of sin, self, and Satan. But physically speaking everyone, including evil angels, is a child of God.

I agree. Even Satan is still God's child in the sense that God created him.

But that is clearly not what John meant when he said those "born of God" does not sin. John was speaking of those who are children of God spiritually.

The miracle of rebirth doesn't cease being a fact of history while we are walking in the mind of old man.

That's true. History is history, no matter what happens next. But our past victories will not do us eternal good unless we endure until the end.

Also, the short period of time that elapses between sinning, repenting, and being restored to the mind of new man isn't long enough to seriously derail the momentum we gained while faithfully walking in the mind of the new man.

I'm not sure about this. I will get back to it later.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: asygo] #136554
10/08/11 04:33 PM
10/08/11 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Also, the short period of time that elapses between sinning, repenting, and being restored to the mind of new man isn't long enough to seriously derail the momentum we gained while faithfully walking in the mind of the new man.

A: I'm not sure about this. I will get back to it later.

I'm referring to "occasional misdeeds". "A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. {SC 57.2} For example, after hours of being worn down by hassles and headaches trying to set up the tent in high winds and heavy rain, I bark at my poor, darling wife. I am immediately sorry and repentant and apologize profusely.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #136584
10/09/11 04:14 PM
10/09/11 04:14 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
M: Also, the short period of time that elapses between sinning, repenting, and being restored to the mind of new man isn't long enough to seriously derail the momentum we gained while faithfully walking in the mind of the new man.

A: I'm not sure about this. I will get back to it later.

I'm referring to "occasional misdeeds". "A change will be seen in the character, the habits, the pursuits. The contrast will be clear and decided between what they have been and what they are. The character is revealed, not by occasional good deeds and occasional misdeeds, but by the tendency of the habitual words and acts. {SC 57.2} For example, after hours of being worn down by hassles and headaches trying to set up the tent in high winds and heavy rain, I bark at my poor, darling wife. I am immediately sorry and repentant and apologize profusely.

But wasn't that the kind of situation that led to Moses hitting the Rock instead of talking to it? Yes, he repented immediately, but it certainly derailed his momentum.

Quote:
If Joseph and Mary had stayed their minds upon God by meditation and prayer, they would have realized the sacredness of their trust, and would not have lost sight of Jesus. By one day’s neglect they lost the Saviour; but it cost them three days of anxious search to find Him. So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour’s presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost. {DA 83.1}

In our association with one another, we should take heed lest we forget Jesus, and pass along unmindful that He is not with us. When we become absorbed in worldly things so that we have no thought for Him in whom our hope of eternal life is centered, we separate ourselves from Jesus and from the heavenly angels. These holy beings cannot remain where the Saviour’s presence is not desired, and His absence is not marked. This is why discouragement so often exists among the professed followers of Christ. {DA 83.2}

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: asygo] #136607
10/10/11 12:21 AM
10/10/11 12:21 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, I don't think Moses lost a lot of ground or momentum. He certainly lost out on entering the Promised Land. And, he blew a golden opportunity to demonstrate the love and patience of Jesus. I'm not downplaying the seriousness of misdeeds and blunders; such sins are definitely setbacks.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #136609
10/10/11 12:37 AM
10/10/11 12:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
So with us; by idle talk, evilspeaking, or neglect of prayer, we may in one day lose the Saviour’s presence, and it may take many days of sorrowful search to find Him, and regain the peace that we have lost.

Do you think Moses floundered lost and unanchored for "many days"? Or, did he immediately repent and resume where he left off? No doubt his repentance deepened over time, that is, he regretted his sin more and more as time passed. Also, is losing peace the same as losing ground or momentum?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #136640
10/10/11 07:01 AM
10/10/11 07:01 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
As I said earlier, Moses repented immediately. However, every sin bears consequences that even eternity cannot completely erase. So, yes, Moses lost ground and momentum. Past victories cannot make up for current and future disobedience.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 25 of 38 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!