HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: How "free" are we after all? #14912
07/06/05 11:18 PM
07/06/05 11:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Well, I do not believe God bypasses our ability to think and choose as we please, but I do believe He exerts a powerful influence to ensure we do not jeopardize His plan. How do you define the unusual amount of effort Jesus expended to persuade Balaam and Cyrus not to do something against the will of God?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14913
07/06/05 11:47 PM
07/06/05 11:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Well, I do not believe God bypasses our ability to think and choose as we please, but I do believe He exerts a powerful influence to ensure we do not jeopardize His plan.

Tom: His plan is that all be saved, isn't it? There's a statement from the Spirit of Prophesy where she wrote to someone saying that if that person received a hundred-fold deeper portion of the Holy Spirit, it wouldn't do any good (because the person's mind was made up). It's against God's nature to act contrary to the principles of freedom. Freedom is so important to God, He would rather die than act contrary to it. It's incredible how anxious God is not to stomp on our will. Simply amazing, really. We're not at all like God in this respect.

MM: How do you define the unusual amount of effort Jesus expended to persuade Balaam and Cyrus not to do something against the will of God?

Tom: God will take emergency measures at times. Also it is according to the principles of God to do things He would not otherwise have done because of prayer (this thought is from the SOP somewhere), so perhaps someone was praying in resptect to Balaam and Cyrus, and God was answering that prayer.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14914
07/07/05 10:09 AM
07/07/05 10:09 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Balaam was a prophet of God, though at times a reluctant one. God had to remind him whose words balaam was speaking.
I dont think it would take all that much convincing to get cyrus to try and overthrow babylon inserting himself as king. Gods part there might just be providing the right circumbstances.

/Thomas

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14915
07/07/05 07:47 PM
07/07/05 07:47 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
How free was Hazen Foss?

As I've talked about in another topic, I think we are pretty free. God did not create robots to follow His commands. There were two men selected before EGW, and both of them turned God down. God then had to go with plan C.

I do think that God has planned our lives, but we have the choice to go against His planning. He also knows what will happen, but in the line of fairness, he must let it happen (we must make the choices).

It is a fairly fatalist view to say that we are not free and our choices do not make a difference. One of the keys to success in college and work is to understand that the person ultimately responsible for everything that happens to one’s self is self. It is those who fail who say that circumstances or others are to blame.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14916
07/08/05 02:13 AM
07/08/05 02:13 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
I do think that God has planned our lives, but we have the choice to go against His planning. He also knows what will happen, but in the line of fairness, he must let it happen (we must make the choices).
It is rather odd that God would plan as 1st choice that which “he knows” will not happen. And then plan 2nd choice likewise, and finally plan as 3rd choice that which he knows will happen.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14917
07/08/05 02:32 AM
07/08/05 02:32 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Perhaps God is methodical, but that is what happend. God has a plan, but when humans don't follow it, God has another plan.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14918
07/08/05 02:57 AM
07/08/05 02:57 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Does God have "hope"?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14919
07/08/05 03:15 AM
07/08/05 03:15 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
Luk 20:11 And again he sent another servant: and they beat him also, and entreated him shamefully, and sent him away empty.
Luk 20:12 And again he sent a third: and they wounded him also, and cast him out.
Luk 20:13 Then said the lord of the vineyard, What shall I do? I will send my beloved son: it may be they will reverence him when they see him.
Luk 20:14 But when the husbandmen saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir: come, let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.

Is everything so "cut and dry" with the Lord?
Is the issue of sin and salvation more involved than we think?

He said: "It may be"

What does that tell us of the Lord's considerations?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14920
07/08/05 04:02 AM
07/08/05 04:02 AM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Tom Is this the reference you were thinking of?:

"Your will must blend with the divine will, and you must submit to the divine working. Your energies are required to co-operate with God. Without this, if it were possible to force upon you with a hundred-fold greater intensity the influences of the Spirit of God, it would not make you a Christian, a fit subject for heaven. The stronghold of Satan would not be broken. There must be the willing and the doing on the part of the receiver." {ST, December 28, 1891

The key words are "blend", "submit", "co-operate" and "willing". There is nothing overwhelming, or over-powering here.

MM You stated some things that can only be attributable to a man that sees God as a god of force:

"However, and for reasons I do not clearly understand, this {your concept of God's 'pre-destined' and 'overwhelming forcing' of conscience} doesn't apply to choosing to be saved."

You do not understand because you have major misconceptions of God's character and man's destiny, from what I can salvage from reading years of your posts. You appear to assert that God prophecies and then by process manipulates people and events to make thing happen to vindicate, prove, justify, validate Himself. That is force.

Thomas Exactly! Notice that Balaam was not forced by the angel, nor was Cyrus forced either. If God was a Forcer, ther would be no contest at all, no competition.

The validity of God's ways was displayed eternally at the Cross; He needs no other proof of His Heart's desires for mankind or His methods. Miss that lesson and you miss the entire Plan.

Many Adventist do not see God as a puppet-master in even the smallest sense, rather we see that He foretells what will happen due to our motions and the consequences of them, not what must happen because of His decrees.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14921
07/08/05 04:33 AM
07/08/05 04:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, but if God hadn't gone the extra mile with Balaam and Cyrus things would have turned much different than God had planned. The prophecy of Cyrus would have failed, which would have made Isaiah a false prophet. Just exactly how free was the prophet Ezekiel? When the only other option is death do we really have a choice?

Ezekiel
3:17 Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.
3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
3:19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
3:20 Again, When a righteous [man] doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
3:21 Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous [man], that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!