HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, Karen Y, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Year's Resolutions #19146
12/30/00 12:19 AM
12/30/00 12:19 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
Every year people talk about their resolutions for the new year-- what they are going to try and change. Here are some resolutions I want to work on this year. I hope that others will want to work on them also.
quote:
As we stand on the threshold of a new year, there is need of an impartial examination of our hearts to dispel the pleasing illusions of self-love. Our condition is helpless and hopeless unless infinite mercy is granted us daily, and pardon is written against our names in the heavenly records. Those only who see and feel their spiritual necessities will go to Jesus for that help which they so much need, and which he only can give. He alone can cleanse us from all sin. He alone can place upon us the robe of righteousness. [ST, January 4, 1883]

Shall we not in this new year seek to correct the errors of the past? It behooves us individually to cultivate the grace of Christ, to be meek and lowly of heart, to be firm, unwavering, steadfast in the truth; for thus only can we advance in holiness, and be made fit for the inheritance of the saints in light. Let us begin the year with an entire renunciation of self; let us pray for clear discernment, that we may understand our Saviour's claims upon us, and that we may always and everywhere be witnesses for Christ. [ST, January 4, 1883]

The Church militant is not the church triumphant, and earth is not Heaven. The church is composed of erring, imperfect men and women, who are but learners in the school of Christ, to be trained, disciplined, educated for this life, and for the future, immortal life. No one of us can in our own strength represent the character of Christ; but if Jesus lives in the heart, the spirit dwelling in him will be revealed in us; all our lack will be supplied. Who will seek at the beginning of this new year to obtain a new and genuine experience in the things of God? Make your wrongs right as far as possible. Confess your errors and sins one to another. Let all bitterness and wrath and malice be put away; let patience, long-suffering, kindness, and love become a part of your very being; then whatsoever things are pure and lovely and of good report will mature in your experience. Another year with its spotless record is before us; what shall that record be? [ST, January 4, 1883]

How often your lips utter the kindly greeting, "I wish you a happy new year," and then in a few moments speak impatient, fretful words. How many children are ever ready to dispute about trifles, unwilling to make the smallest sacrifice for others. To such the new year will bring no real happiness. They may indulge in boisterous mirth, but their hearts know no peace nor joy. Will you not come with penitence and humility to Jesus, that he may cleanse you from the impurity of sin, and fit you for his heavenly kingdom? All who do this will have the happiest new year that they ever experienced. It will bring joy in Heaven and joy on earth. [ST, January 5, 1882]

Then the new year will be welcomed by us all as the commencement of a year of higher, better principles. We shall give ourselves to Christ, making an unreserved consecration of all our property, all our capacities, to his service. We shall make good our profession of faith; we shall serve God by serving those who need our help. Then we shall let our light shine forth in good works. [RH, December 14, 1886]

Here is work for every family and every church. Make haste, brethren and sisters, to improve the few remaining days of 1882 [2000] in setting your own hearts in order, and making every wrong right. Remember that we shall be forgiven only as we forgive. Let all enmity, dissension, and bitterness die with the old year. Let kindness and brotherly and sisterly affection revive in our hearts. We may open the new year with a clean record. How happy the thought! Let us draw near to God "with a true heart in full assurance of faith," that the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, may keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. {RH, [December 26, 1882]

Now we have opportunity to prepare for the solemn scenes before us. We may be converted to God, and have a change of character; but when Christ shall come there will be no time for this. The change then will be with our bodies. "This corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality." A new year is opening before us, and what shall its record be? You look back upon the past year, and you see many things that you would be glad to have different, that you wish had been better. How will it be with the new year that is just opening? Shall we not at its commencement present ourselves to God, an acceptable offering, to work, to suffer, and to endure according to his will? Shall we not, every one of us, live a life of faith in the Son of God? We cannot afford to live a single day in sin; for "the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Then let us so live that when he comes he may crown us with glory, honor, immortality, and eternal life. [BEcho, January 15, 1889]

I wish you a happy new year. Let us put away everything like distrust and want of faith in Jesus forever. Let us commence a life of simple child-like trust, not relying upon feeling but upon faith. [TDG 9]

------------------

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19147
12/30/00 12:58 AM
12/30/00 12:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen Linda...thank you for those quotes for the New Year.....

In The Blessed Hope

Avalee

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19148
12/30/00 01:05 AM
12/30/00 01:05 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Amen, Linda!

I am going to copy and paste that into the Happy New Year announcement.

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19149
12/31/00 02:44 AM
12/31/00 02:44 AM
L
Linda Sutton  Offline OP
Charter Member
2500+ Member
USA
This morning I discussed new year resolutions in the Sabbath School program. Here are the 10 resolutions I gave to the SS members.

New Year's Resolutions

1. I resolve to be persevering in my efforts, to be right, to be self-denying, and in cheerfulness to perform every known duty. I resolve to be forward in deeds of charity, and, by my good works, I will seek to be a blessing to others. (See YI 1-1-71)

2. I resolve that I will consecrate to God every power, every ability. I will follow Jesus because He bids me to. I will not ask where or what reward I will be given. I will not do this in my own strength, but in the strength and grace given by God. (See 8T 55)

3. I resolve to be fully on the Lord's side. I will no longer give God a divided heart. I will serve him with undivided affections. I will no longer misrepresent his sacred truth. I will arise and shine. I will sanctify myself through the truth. I will obey the truth. (See Home Missionary 1-1-1897)

4. I resolve to possess my soul in patience amid the petty annoyances of every-day life that are often so irritating and so hard to bear. I resolve that I will not let these things interrupt my communion with God and separate me from his love. (See ST 2-12-85)

5. As a homemaker, I resolve to live on a wiser plan. I will make it my first aim to make a pleasant home. (See AH 24)

6. I resolve in the strength of God that no influence shall lead me to commit the least wrong act. (See CH 411)

7. I resolve never, never to repeat error, but always to teach the truth. I want to fill hearts and minds with the solemn, sacred truth for this time. (See Ev 623)

8. I resolve to reach a high and holy standard. I will set my mark high and act with earnest purpose just as Daniel did. I will be steady, and persevere, knowing that the enemy can do nothing to hinder my improvement. Regardless of inconveniences, changes, perplexities, I can constantly advance in mental vigor and moral power. (See HP 197)

9. I resolve that I will guard myself that my wants shall be so bound about that no needless adornment shall steal away the dimes and dollars I might otherwise spend to gratify my pride or draw the admiration of others. I will consecrate myself to God, and my desire for selfish gratification shall be killed before it buds and blossoms and bears fruit. (See Welfare Ministry 166)

10. I resolve to put away everything like distrust and want of faith in Jesus forever. I will commence a life of simple child-like trust, not relying on my feelings but upon faith. (See TDG 9)

[This message has been edited by Linda Sutton (edited December 30, 2000).]

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19150
01/01/01 01:24 AM
01/01/01 01:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a couple of small items, from my "garden" to share that I thought you would enjoy as a kickstart to the New Year!

True courage is like a kite: A contrary wind raises it higher! That's why the Bible says "Be of good courage."

This year; I am going to "be of good courage," and grow my very own Church Garden!

A CHURCH GARDEN

Three Rows Of Squash:

1) Squash indifference
2) Squash Criticism
3) Squash gossip

Four Rows Of Turnips:

1) Turnup for meetings
2) Turnup with a smile
3) Turnup with a visitor
4) Turnup with a Bible

Five Rows Of Lettuce:

1) Let us love one another
2) Let us welcome strangers
3) Let us be faithful to duty
4) Let us truly worship God
5) Let us give liberally

It takes "good courage" to grow this garden in today's climate! I will be looking forward to our next year in the MSDAOL church family.

------------------
Soul winning is soul loving.
see 1 Thes.5:14-15).

Your brother in Christ

David T. Battler

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19151
01/01/01 02:31 AM
01/01/01 02:31 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Amen, Brother David!

I liked that!

than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

Daryl

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19152
01/04/01 02:29 AM
01/04/01 02:29 AM
C
Catherine  Offline
Charter Member
Veteran Member
Michigan, USA
These are all good ideas of resolutions to make. I don't make New Years resolutions though. I prefer to make changes in my life or reconsecrate my walk with God whenever I become aware of the need.

However, this is a good time to look over the past year and evaluate whether my actions have been in line with my priorities, and to set new goals and priorities.

------------------
The Lord is the strength of my life and my portion forever.

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19153
01/07/01 10:50 PM
01/07/01 10:50 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
I resolve to eat healthier, read the Bible more and improve my prayer life.

It's not so poetic, but if I can improve on these things, Christ's soon-coming can fulfil most of the other items on my check-list.

P.S. I copied David's list and am going to post in in both of my churches.

------------------
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Don't let yesterday's mistakes trouble you, nor tomorrow's fears spoil your day.

Pastor Andrew

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19154
01/08/01 08:05 PM
01/08/01 08:05 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That's a good idea, Pastor Andrew!

I think I will do that also.

Daryl

Re: New Year's Resolutions #19155
12/31/01 02:29 PM
12/31/01 02:29 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, here we are a year later and about to enter in to another year, the year 2002.

Quickly reviewing this thread, I am wondering how we have all done this past year which will soon be history. In fact, in some parts of the year, it is already history.

Perhaps, some have new resolutions they wish to make, and others need to focus on their unfulfilled resolutions.

I know I could have done better this past year. How about you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!