HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,671
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (TheophilusOne, dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H), 2,781 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42311
01/19/03 08:44 AM
01/19/03 08:44 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
I have always approved of Lord of the Rings and the Narnia series. I do not approve of Harry Potter. Here is why. The Lord of the Rings trilogy has a clear distinction b/w good and evil and is truly a beautiful work of art. It contains many moral lessons of worth, and I have let my children watch the movie. I also have to say that when I watched it with them as opposed to the first time without, I gained so much insight into the lessons and values that were being taught. I had a much higher appreciation for it. Harry Potter I have only caught glimpses of here and there and never have read the books and have no desire to. But, it is obvious to me that it blurs the lines of good and evil throughout, and also subverts respect and authority for adults. There is a vast difference in the two that I cannot reconcile. I have no problem with children reading fiction that I have approved and in this case as in a few others, I believe it is a matter of individual judgement, not just something you can quote Mrs.White about and leave it at that. I do believe that Jesus was one of the greatest authors of parable and do not see why it cannot be used with spiritual judgement to further enhance our children's moral education.

Wendy [Reading]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42312
01/24/03 07:54 PM
01/24/03 07:54 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
As a person I must know myself and findout what do I really want for myself, and what does God want. What ever I really want, those types of preferences and tendencies of how I treat those personal preferences will be known to my kids long before Harry Potter and Tolkin comes up.

As a parent, I would be responsible to gather information concerning the issues before hand, make my decisions before hand and so not get embroiled in a parent/child contest of wills at that moment.

Some of my sources of data would be :
Scripture - Phillipians chapter 4; 2nd Peter Ch 1; John ch 17; 1st Corinthians ch 13; Sermon on the Mount from the Gospels; The stories of the family life of Eli, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Daniel, Solomon, John the baptist, Jesus.

SOP {MYP} Messages to Young People - chapters 88 - 94.

Chap. 88 {MYP 271.1 - 274.3}- "Choice of Reading"
Chap. 89 {MYP 275.1 - 278.2}- "Example of the Ephesians"
Chap. 90 {MYP 279.1 - 282.3}- "Proper Mental Food"
Chap. 91 {MYP 283.1 - 284.2}- The Bible the Most Interesting Book
Chap. 92 {MYP 285.1 - 286.2}- Guard Well the Avenues of the Soul
Chap. 93 {MYP 287.1 - 289.4}- Building Christian Character
[THIS WAS SISTER WHITE'S LAST MESSAGE FOR OUR
YOUNG PEOPLE, DURING HER LAST ILLNESS.]
Chap. 94 {MYP 290.1 - 290.3}- The Effect of Fiction

I am not naturally inclined to family worship, would the preposed reading / viewing matter make me more apt to have family worship - or less inclined to do so? The repeatedly occuring answers - like concuring second opinions from other MD's when facing serious treatments of serious medical conditions - would set the tone and direction of my answer.

To complicate matters, if I desired Harry Potter & Lord of the Rings and had to act from principle despite my personal unfulfilled desires, I could then be swayed like Eli all together too easily.

If I looked at my self and my kids as my property, it would be my decision according to my perogatives and my rights and wishes. If I looked at my self and my kids as God's property, it would be God's decision according to His perogatives and His rights and wishes, but enforced according to my personality (hopefully tempered by His motives and methods).

BTW as a warlock I read Lord of the Rings three decades ago +, and it further fueled my lust for inordinate power and pride. To those who knew how to look it taught it's own lessons of witchcraft. Then fed desires for more.

That is the topic question that is implied "what would you do"? I replied. Others will do what they will.

Buy your kids the books "Escape to God" and "Empowered Living", have seperate copies for your own use.

Then there will be no need to gether them and in the darkness bind them. The ring of Saurgon is not fiction, it is the verbal picture of the desires of Satan's heart that he seeks to plant in the hearts of the readers. No Mt Doom can burn it up, but the Doom of eternity once ignited, then will incinerate all who hold it. I won't give that to my kids.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42313
01/27/03 12:27 AM
01/27/03 12:27 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thank you, Ed, for sharing something personal relating to The Lord Of The Rings.

What seems to be so innocent can be what captures us in its snare.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42314
01/27/03 08:08 AM
01/27/03 08:08 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
I think it has alot to do with your environment and upbringing. I, my brother, husband, and many many friends read the Rings series as young people, and none of us ever had the desire to become witches, warlocks or what have you. I know mine is not the popular opinion here, but I'm okay with that. I know people who keep their children practically locked away from the world as well, and what usually happens is that those are the children that completely rebel as they get older because they don't know what to do with the freedom. I'm a very good example of that. I do respect all other opinions completely though, please let me make that very clear. I think we all have to do our best with the knowledge we have and continue to pray for our children and for our friends.

God bless you all!

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42315
01/27/03 08:45 AM
01/27/03 08:45 AM
Wendy F  Offline
Veteran Member
USA
For all:

Mrs.White essentially opposed all fiction. So what do you think about the fables told as children? Or to be even more to the point...the Uncle Arthur? I've often wondered about this. I do not have a problem with it. But I'd be interested to hear other opinions.

Thanks (from an avid reader)

[Reading]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42316
01/27/03 10:52 AM
01/27/03 10:52 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Yes, the idea can be obtained from her writings tha she opposed all fiction. That is the position that I once took. [NOTE: I am not saying that I have substantially changed it.]

However, she read short stories, written by great novelists of her day, to her children. I have to assume that those short stories were works of fiction. We have published some (not all) of those stories in a book we have titled SCRAPBOOK STORIES.

Ellen White was a complex woman. In her personal life she ws not nearly as rigid as some have gathered from reading her writings.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42317
01/28/03 04:20 AM
01/28/03 04:20 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Are you saying that EGW went against her own writings?

Now, I find that somewhat confusing. [Confused]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42318
01/28/03 04:28 AM
01/28/03 04:28 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Daryl:

I am saying that we clearly know that Ellen White read short stories to her children that were written by novelists of her day. From the standpoint of authorship, and of story content, it is preetty clear that they were works of fiction.

Some comments:

1) EGW was human, and we can not expect perfection in her.

2) People have often made her out to be more rigid than she was. I suspect that this is the issue with her use of fiction.

3) People who know, see these aspects in her in the fictious stories she told her children, in her wearing simple jewelry (a necklace), and in her eating oysters.

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42319
01/27/03 06:38 PM
01/27/03 06:38 PM
Avalee  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2014

Most Dedicated Member
Northern CA
Gregory, I find that very interesting about Sister White reading short stories to her children that were fiction. Can you provide us with the proof that these stories were fiction? I think we would all be interested in reading that proof. Thanks [Heart]

Re: Poll: Would You Let Your Child Read "Harry Potter" Books? #42320
01/27/03 07:00 PM
01/27/03 07:00 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess the question to ask is whether or not she did what she did prior to receiving what would be then known as new light on it?

And yes, I would also be interested in any references/quotes.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/05/24 01:21 PM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by asygo. 06/03/24 03:17 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by Kevin H. 06/02/24 10:10 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!