HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, daylily, Kevin H, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7004
06/05/05 05:00 AM
06/05/05 05:00 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thanks for clearing that up John. I do believe that rejecting God's messenger is a serious thing, and fully agree with all you have said.
Maybe I missed something somewhere along the road. What I mean by this is personally I did not have to say "Yes I believe EGW is a prophet" in order to be baptized, but my wife did and she barely,rarely reads anything she has written. The only time she does hear what she has written is when I read it to her (Read her parts of the coming conflict in GC), or at church.
Now when you say reject are we talking about turning away from what she has written, trying to find errors in what she wrote, or moving away from the Advent message itself. That could be another topic for discussion.
I personally believe that the Spirit of Prophecy is an identifying characteristic of the remnant church, and the remnant church keeps the commandments of God. No worroes there, but I do worry when people who have been converted and want to be born of the water and Spirit are held at bay until the believe in Ellen White
s writings. This is what I find disturbing, what do you think about not baptizing people because of that?
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7005
06/05/05 08:44 AM
06/05/05 08:44 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Crystal clear,John and I whole-heartedly agree.

Will said:

"I do worry when people who have been converted and want to be born of the water and Spirit are held at bay until the believe in Ellen White's writings. This is what I find disturbing, what do you think about not baptizing people because of that?

Do you mean the church should not baptise newly saved people as an SDA (what then;as a general christian?) or baptising them, surrounded by SDA influences, and hoping they'll come to learn more fully? Or do you mean that there should be "holding tank" for those not fully convinced of Christ's message through her? Or do you mean that #17 should be scrapped altogether?

The problem may stem from trying to separate Christ from His message through EGW. I personally cannot do that. I also cannot see her writings as optional, to those who have full access. For those who don't, God works with what they do know, educating them for fuller truth, right?

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7006
06/05/05 05:30 PM
06/05/05 05:30 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I wonder, isn't wanting to be baptizes and not believing that EGW was a prophet calling God and the congregation liars? Why would someone want to join a group of liars?

We could also say that we could baptize people who are committing adultery, smoking, drinking alcohol, but we know they are sins. If someone professes to believe that EGW was a prophet and does not, they are not being truthful, and God can deal with that himself.

No one enters baptism perfect, but we should believe in all that God has said and be willing to change for him.

quote:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. Support is found in these Bible passages: Joel 2:28,29: Acts 2:14-21: Hebrews 1:1-3: Revelation 12:17: Revelation 19:10
Baptismal Vow #17

Now, could anyone be baptized not believing that EGW was a prophet and also not be a liar?

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7007
06/05/05 06:22 PM
06/05/05 06:22 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Dave,
I am seeing 2 different things in what you said
First
quote:

No one enters baptism perfect, but we should believe in all that God has said and be willing to change for him.

Second
quote:

Now, could anyone be baptized not believing that EGW was a prophet and also not be a liar?

How can a person be baptized and willing to change, and then not be baptized not beliving Sister White was a messenger of God? Can you expand on when a person should be baptized and by what authority that happens.
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7008
06/05/05 06:25 PM
06/05/05 06:25 PM
S
Stephanie Suranyi  Offline
Charter Member
near Chicago, IL , USA
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hoover:
I wonder, isn't wanting to be baptizes and not believing that EGW was a prophet calling God and the congregation liars? Why would someone want to join a group of liars?

We could also say that we could baptize people who are committing adultery, smoking, drinking alcohol, but we know they are sins. If someone professes to believe that EGW was a prophet and does not, they are not being truthful, and God can deal with that himself.

quote:
One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. Support is found in these Bible passages: Joel 2:28,29: Acts 2:14-21: Hebrews 1:1-3: Revelation 12:17: Revelation 19:10
Baptismal Vow #17

Well, that's a difficult one. I mean, so many times we see that we want as many people as possible to be baptized after evangelistic meetings. From what I remember in the meetings I have attended, Ellen White was discussed near the end, with only a few quotes from one or two of her books. Now, to get a more clear understanding of whether or not she was a prophet, one would need to read more of her writings.....Not just a few excerpts here and there. Many people who attend these meetings do not have the money to buy her books....they usually end up getting them as gifts from those with whom they have studied or they save their money to buy them. So, how can someone who has not read her writings honestly say "yes, she was a prophet?" And on the flip side to that. there are many people who wish to be baptized but get put off because they need to do this Bible study...then this Bible study, and so on. Before long, we have "Bible-studied" this person right out of the decision to be baptized. Why? Because they felt ready to commit their lives to Christ and we felt they weren't ready for that step. I've seen it happen...all too often........

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7009
06/05/05 07:47 PM
06/05/05 07:47 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Its almost as if its a club, if you dont believe Ellen White was a priphet we will deny you to be baptized. God records all this stuff, and those who partake, think, or subscribe to that train of thought will have to give an account as to why a brother or sister was denied, and they may have perished. You can and will lose your salvation for shutting te gates of heaven to a child of God.
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7010
06/05/05 08:17 PM
06/05/05 08:17 PM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
When I was baptized many years ago (loooong time ago!) I studied all the beliefs of this church including the gift of prophecy. I could see through my study that Mrs. White clearly was a prophet according to my Bible study and I accepted her wholeheartedly.

Did I own any of her books? No. I attended Academy all four years not owning one of her books or reading them. I could not afford to buy them. I prayed specifically for what books I wanted and the Lord answered those prayers. I inherited my great-grandmothers Testimony set and Messages to Young People and my grandmother bought me the Conflict set. I still have them today. And I own all her other books also as I could afford to get them.

But at my baptism, it was clear to me that she was totally inspired. And it was written on my vows that I received.

I do not look at our church as a "club." It is a privilege to belong to it as a member. Because someone is denied baptism because the person does not believe in Ellen White is like denying the Bible itself, not the SOP. I did not learn to accept the SOP by reading her writings but by studying my Bible.

I agree with Pastors who will not baptize a prospective member unless they accept what the whole Bible says and teaches. Our Church prides itself as a denomination that believes the whole Bible. The SOP is a part of the "whole" Bible.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7011
06/05/05 09:25 PM
06/05/05 09:25 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Can someone show me from Scripture where you have to believe Ellen White to be saved? Cause remember that it is extremely important to be baptized, and I believe that in order to get to heaven yoiu not only have to believe in Christ, but azlso be baptized unless its a rare situation such as the thief on the cross.
Can someone show me from Scripture the authority under which you make decisions as to who is to be born again and who isn't?
We need Scripture people not ideas and opinions.
God Bless,
Will

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7012
06/05/05 11:30 PM
06/05/05 11:30 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
Debbie, I find your statement of "the SOP is a part of the whole Bible" as a dangerous statement. EGW stated that her works were a lesser light pointing to the greater light (the Bible). I do believe that EGW was a propet, and her materials were written for council and for further wisdom, BUT she did write in an era, a time period that was a lifetime ago! Just as the Bible has been interpreted many times by many scholars and have different interpretations, we the church of 2005 MUST be very careful in the understanding of EGW's writtings. So to make the statement of " The SOP is a part of the "whole" Bible. " in my opinion is one that we should be very careful of.
-Please understand, I am not a critic of EGW and I do believe that she was a prophet, with council and wisdom for the church, I have never felt nor understood that her writtings are above scripture, nor a neccesity for salvation. If God's word (the Bible) is not enough for salvation, then something is amiss. Again her works are a light (lesser) pointing to the true light (the Bible).

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7013
06/06/05 02:28 AM
06/06/05 02:28 AM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
Will:

Read all the baptismal vows. Do you think it is right for someone to stand in font of the congregation and say they believe in something they do not so they can be baptized? There are many kinds of sin, and baptism does not take them all way. We must continue to follow where the spirit leads us.

If you do not believe Ellen White is a prophet, then you do not have an understanding of her writings. You also are outside the belief of the SDA church. Would you baptize a person that did not believe in the Holy Spirit? Would you baptize a person who does not believe in the scripture? Can we pick and choose the vows that are and are not important?

It is not a club, anyone can attend, but only those who are committed, believe, and are willing to work for the Kingdome of heaven should be members. Those who are not yet members will hopefully someday become members when they do understand.

I'm sure you are aware that you will not find the exact words, "Belief that Ellen G. White was a prophet is required to be baptized," is not found in the Bible, but the principal is there.

quote:
Then I bowed down at the angel's feet to worship him, but he said to me, "Do not worship me! I am a servant like you and your brothers and sisters who have the message of Jesus. Worship God, because the message about Jesus is the spirit that gives all prophecy."
Revelation 19:10 NCV

If someone does not believe that Ellen White was a prophet, they are saying that she was a liar, the church is a liar, the congregation is a liar, and that either the Bible is incorrect, or EGW was a false prophet. If the latter is true, does that make the person in question any better than Jezebel who thought that Elijah was not a prophet, the boys who mocked Elishah and were mauled by she bears, or Aaron and Miriam when they doubted Moses? The Bible tells us that all prophecy comes from Jesus.

I wish to know, how can someone be a true follower of God if they believe that His messenger is a liar?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!