HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, daylily, Kevin H, dedication, 1 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7034
06/08/05 03:05 AM
06/08/05 03:05 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
The question here placed is whether EW should be criterion for baptism?
I would also like to ask; whether the church should be criterion for baptism?
quote:
Dave asked: I still wonder; why would anyone want to be an Adventist if they think the leaders and majority of the church are wrong?

As Dave’s question indicates, it is very clear that this question is really dealing with what we want others to think of us. So the issue in question is; should baptism rotate around the church and church’s doctrines? Is baptism a baptism of doctrines? The reality of that thought is that they should be baptized into the teaching of EW as interpreted and approved by the church. So in reality it means that they should place their faith in the authority of the church. Now this should remind us of something.

For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? … For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Baptism is baptism of repentance and baptism unto Christ; so then it is repentance from what one is, and baptism of faith into what Christ is.

Faith if it is going to be the faith of Christ, must be just that and nothing less. Anything other than Christ is less – including the church, including EW. This does not mean that one regards the church or EW as liars. But rather recognizes that we know in part and see in part, and so our faith and basis must not rest in our understanding, but in the living Christ who is Savior and is complete.

I imagine none will contend here that in the judgment day: to have believed what the church believed, will hold water, regardless of how much one believed that it was true. Baptism should stand on that and only on that which stands in the judgment day.

So the church should humble itself to minister the gospel of faith of Christ, and not to think more highly of itself than it ought, and so require faith in itself. To say that they should go somewhere else only shows that we are not satisfied to be associated with the living Savior only, but rather want to take his glory away to ourselves and our doctrines.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7035
06/08/05 11:07 AM
06/08/05 11:07 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
John B

Great post. When Jesus is all in all, is there then man or woman, free or slave, SDA or catholic?

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11
Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

/Thomas

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7036
06/08/05 05:42 PM
06/08/05 05:42 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
John you almost have me convinced. Maybe what we need is Baptism being separate from church membership. In other words anyone who believes in, and is a follower of Jesus could/should be born of the water. Now if they further wish to be a member of the SDA church they would need to make a statement (oath) saying they believe the 27 fundamental beliefs. Until they take that oath (that is not really the word I want) they could call themselves Christian but not SDA Christian.

Redfog

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7037
06/09/05 04:08 PM
06/09/05 04:08 PM
Davros  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ohio
I can see the GC mess that would create allready.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7038
06/09/05 08:21 PM
06/09/05 08:21 PM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of separating Baptism and church membership, of course it will never happen because, as Dave says, it would create a mess at the GC [Smile]

Redfog

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7039
06/10/05 12:33 AM
06/10/05 12:33 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
I don't see how they could be separated. When we are baptized, it is with an understanding that we accept the whole Bible (of which the SOP is a part of) and become members of this Remnant Church that God set up. God gave us the name of Seventh-day Adventist.

It doesn't matter if there is corruption in the church--it is in all the churches because the wheat grow with the tares.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7040
06/10/05 12:58 AM
06/10/05 12:58 AM
Jan  Offline
Ohio
I think the mess this would cause would extend much farther than the GC. We would have tiers of Christians in our churches. Some would be baptised and be Seventh-day Adventists, eligible to hold office and everything that membership involves. Some would be baptised but be - what? and excluded from a say in anything. Harmony? We have a hard enough time holding things together now when we are all fairly much on the same page. Amos 3:3 - Can two walk together unless they be agreed? This idea has been talked about quite a bit over the years, but was never decided on as a right course of action.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7041
06/10/05 01:33 AM
06/10/05 01:33 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
I think many of us have overlooked some of John's points: most seemed to have focused on the rite of baptism, church/SOP allegiance (I wish they were the same thing!), procedures and processes for accepting memberships. Inclusion within the organization alone is not all that it's cracked up to be, even if one swears loyalty on a stack of Church Manuals and memorizes the 28(now?) Fundies, neither of which existed in Pioneer days.

I wonder if the point is that being correctly exposed to the True Gospel will produce through the Holy Spirit the yearning for rebirth. This is not the 'gospel' the fallen churches preach; we must get over that myth.

If we have the True Gospel (which is not merely the "State of the dead, Prophecy in Daniel, Jesus Second Coming, the Sabbath, 6 day Creation") of salvation from Sin, not in sin, then we have something to offer much more than mere organizational membership, but membership into the Royal Family of God.

Salvation cannot be dispensed by any church organization, no matter how much of Present Truth is housed within it's walls. But the Remnant Church can, if in earnest, live and promote Him Who saved each individual within it, and let Him save the fallen.

Baptism should be a proof that He has done that, not a badge of joining alone.

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7042
06/10/05 02:20 PM
06/10/05 02:20 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
It's not God's will to baptize people, separate from church membership.
"And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved." Acts 2:47

"By hearing the message of truth, men and women are led to accept the Sabbath and to unite with the church by baptism."
{8T 195.4}
Why would anyone who knows this truth want to be baptized in any other way?

As for there being discrepancies in EGW's writings: there aren't any. There might be apparent discrepancies in her writings, just as there are apparent discrepancies in the Bible. But in actuality there are none. Writing about the Bible, Mrs. White said,
"Written in different ages, by men who differed widely in rank and occupation, and in mental and spiritual endowments, the books of the Bible present a wide contrast in style, as well as a diversity in the nature of the subjects unfolded. Different forms of expression are employed by different writers; often the same truth is more strikingly presented by one than by another. And as several writers present a subject under varied aspects and relations, there may appear, to the superficial, careless, or prejudiced reader, to be discrepancy or contradiction, where the thoughtful, reverent student, with clearer insight, discerns the underlying harmony."
{GC vi.1}
Since the SOP was inspired by the very same Holy Spirit Who inspired the Bible writers, we can expect the same to hold true for EGW's writings as well.

The Bible says that God's last-days remnant church will have the gift of prophecy manifested within it. Revelation 12:17, 19:10, 22:9. It also says that we should "despise not prophesyings." 1 Thess. 5:20.

So in accepting Ellen White's ministry, we are doing nothing more nor less than what the Bible tells us to do. If we reject her, we reject light from heaven; indeed we reject the Lord Himself. Speaking to another of His prophets, Samuel, God said,
"...they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected Me, that I should not reign over them." 1 Samuel 8:7.
What if people had been baptized of John the Baptist, yet refused to acknowledge him as God's messenger? Would the Lord Jesus have commended such a course of action?

Re: EGW Belief - A requirement for baptism? #7043
06/11/05 03:43 AM
06/11/05 03:43 AM
Ikan  Offline
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
John Howard also makes some excellant points, especially the "apparent contradictions" quote. This must be applied to all doctrines in question, not merely baptism, the essentialness of understanding the station of the SOP, or church membership.

We must stop making "zombies" by burying in water "live persons" just to make more members in the church. We must understand and teach what being "buried in Christ's death" actually means.

I think the context of John H.'s quote bears me out:

Are you learning daily in the school of Christ--learning how to dismiss doubt and evil surmisings, learning how to be fair and noble in your dealings with your brethren, for your own sake, and for Christ's sake?
Present truth leads onward and upward, gathering in the needy, the oppressed, the suffering, the destitute. All that will come are to be brought into the fold. In their lives there is to take place a reformation that will constitute them members of the royal family, children of the heavenly King. By hearing the message of truth, men and women are led to accept the Sabbath and to unite with the church by baptism. They are to bear God's sign by observing the Sabbath of creation. They are to know for themselves that obedience to God's commandments means eternal life.
{8T 195.4}

One cannot "dismiss doubt and evil surmisings, learning how to be fair and noble in your dealings with your brethren, for your own sake, and for Christ's sake" simply by joining the church, but by being given a new heart FIRST. Everything else will follow.

No EGW rejectors or doubters should be even interested in joining us, IF we have preached and lovingly taught the True Gospel, which is the Three Angel's Messages in fact.

If we have done our 1st job, been reborn ourselves, this problem would not arise. Ya can't give whatcha ain't got.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!