HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,678
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 12
kland 2
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (daylily, Kevin H, dedication, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
What if there is no such thing as free will? #78001
08/06/06 11:41 PM
08/06/06 11:41 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
In another topic, Mark stated the following:

Quote:

Luther is right. There is no such thing in scripture as free will.

What I'd like to discuss here are what are the implications of this? That is, if Luther is right, how does that impact our understanding of other subjects, such as justification by faith, and God's character?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78002
08/06/06 11:46 PM
08/06/06 11:46 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Where did Luther say this?

Better yet, where does the Bible say this, or even hint of this?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78003
08/07/06 12:06 AM
08/07/06 12:06 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
This is possibly along the lines I've struggled with.

I've had this question: if we all have the same chance at Salvation then why do we not all choose the same? If one person chooses to follow God and another chooses not to why is that? Is there something in our genetic makeup that causes one person to choose one way or the other? Do we really have the free will to choose? Or is it all in our genes what way we will go? If so is this fair?

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78004
08/07/06 12:57 AM
08/07/06 12:57 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:

Joshua 24:15 And if it seems evil to you to serve Jehovah, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served Beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you live. But as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah.

This sounds like a freedom of choice verse, a free will verse to me.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78005
08/07/06 02:00 AM
08/07/06 02:00 AM
S
scott  Offline
Wyoming, USA
Hey Redfog,

I love your signature!!! LOL

I agree with Daryl that God gives everyone a choice. He also says that He considers where we were born in the equation. If you struggle with your understanding of election you might want to consider looking into an open view. Many people have a problem balancing God's absolute foreknowledge with freedom. For many of these people the idea that God actually takes risks, not necessarily knowing, therefore controlling, every future move, is a relief.

I personally don't believe that God planned sin to happen although He knew of the possibility and made provision for it. True love can only exist in true freedom. And true freedom can only exist within the possibility of making bad choices. God took a great risk in creating beings with the ability to love like He loves.

In Christ, scott

Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78006
08/07/06 02:18 AM
08/07/06 02:18 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Redfog, I think the answer to your question is a mystery. That is, why some respond one way and others don't.

There was a movie directed by Robert Redford called "A River Runs Through It" where there was a tragic figure, the brother of the story-teller, who had problems with alcohol and gambling, and someone asked, I think it was his wife, "Why is it that the people who need help the most are the very ones who won't accept it?"

It must break God's heart unimaginably when His children won't respond to Him. To a large extent, for many, I'm sure it's because they don't understand Him. How can He get through? Certainly this is the most difficult question God has had to face. The cross was/is a brilliant solution, which at least gets through to some, thank God for that.

But no, there's no "choose God" gene which gets set to on or off. We all have a free choice. As Scott mentioned, God takes into account our circumstances. The Spirit of Prophecy tells us that God gives those in more difficult circumstances more grace; the Bible says, "where sin abounds, grace does much more abound."

As to people not having he same opportunity, there's no way around that, is there? Some get born into godly homes, and others are raised by drug addicts. This is just one of the many trajedies of sin, which manifests itself in injustice in many ways.

From the revelation of Jesus Christ we can know that God suffers more than anyone else with these things, that He hates injustice, and that He is fighting against it, willing to do all that He can to fight it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78007
08/07/06 02:32 AM
08/07/06 02:32 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
One of the questions related to free will is how we explain the existence of evil in our world in conjunction with an infinitely power, infinitely good God. It is my opinion that God values free will above anything else, and that it is part and parcel to having beings which are capable of loving and capable of being loved.

If there is no such thing as free will, it seems to me that much of the blame for evil in the world must fall on God. OTOH, if we perceive that God respects free will above anything else, that He will not violate this principle, then it is possible to construct a theodicy where God is entirely innocent.

(Theodicy is a specific branch of theology and philosophy that attempts to reconcile the existence of evil in the world with the assumption of a benevolent God. An attempt to reconcile the co-existence of evil and God may thus be called "a theodicy".)

Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78008
08/07/06 10:39 AM
08/07/06 10:39 AM
Redfog  Offline
Michigan, USA
I've actually resolved this issue, not by reason but by faith. Through the years I've seen God working in my life, and others as well. So it is by seeing His workings that I've developed the faith that He is fair, even though my little old limited mind cannot understand it.

Redfog

If at first you don't succeed.....destroy all evidence you ever tried.
Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78009
08/10/06 01:36 AM
08/10/06 01:36 AM
C
Charity  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
We all agree that we all have choices to make. The question is can we make good choices on our own. Christ says, apart from me you can do nothing - nothing good that is. We all have consciences so we know to some extent what is good. But unless God empowers us, we can't follow through and do what we know to be right. Romans 7.

So, as I've said on the other thread, wills, yes, free, no. The will to do good does not exist in the carnel person. It has to be created in the person by the Holy Spirit and energized before the person can accomplish any good thing. There are many texts that talk about the helplessness of man. Ellen White tells us that we should pray 'take my heart, for I cannot give it'. According to her, we can't even give God our hearts without divine aid. We are not free to do that. When Joshua says choose, he assumes that God will empower us to respond. He is not saying that we have it within ourselves to respond positively. Repentence is a gift. It is always drawing us. The invitation, 'Come unto me. . .' also contains the creative power to obey. Unless our will's are empower, they are helpless. Once they are empowered, the gates of hell can't prevail against them.

Re: What if there is no such thing as free will? #78010
08/10/06 02:46 AM
08/10/06 02:46 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Mark, here's the EGW statement you referenced:

Many are inquiring, "How am I to make the surrender of myself to God?" You desire to give yourself to Him, but you are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you; but you need not despair. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise. You cannot change your heart, you cannot of yourself give to God its affections; but you can choose to serve Him. You can give Him your will; He will then work in you to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Thus your whole nature will be brought under the control of the Spirit of Christ; your affections will be centered upon Him, your thoughts will be in harmony with Him.(SC 47)

I'm not seeing any implication here that we don't have free will. She said "The power of choice God has given to men; it is theirs to exercise." This is the same thing as saying God has given free will to men, isn't it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!