HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28
Are there any excuses for sinning? #92562
11/03/07 10:16 PM
11/03/07 10:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following post is imported here to discuss the question - Are there any excuses for sinning?

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
In response to the question, "This means there is no excuse for sinning, right?", you seem to be arguing, NO! You seem to be saying 1 Cor 10:13 does not teach there is no excuse for sinning.

Therefore, I feel compelled to ask, Are there any "excuses" for sinning? I realize you believe 1 Cor 10:13 is only referring to the temptations that are common to mankind, that it doesn't take into consideration that people sin ignorantly without being tempted.

Ok, thanks for explaining your thinking. In my response, I explained what the problem is. Paul says there is no excuse for being overcome by temptation. You inferred this to be saying there is no excuse for sinning. But that's not what Paul said. He said there's no excuse for being overcome by temptation. In order for you to make the argument that this implies there is no excuse for sinning, you have to connect some dots, so to speak.

As I mentioned, for your argument to be complete, you either have to show that all sin comes about by way of temptation, or that there is also no excuse for the sin that comes about not by way of temptation, in addition to their being no excuse for the sin that comes about by way of temptation.

Quote:
So, again, I feel compelled to ask, Is there an "excuse for sins which do not involve temptation"? I realize you believe this question is an attempt to "patch up" an incomplete argument, but please hear me out. I believe 1 Cor 10:13 envisions every temptation not only common to mankind but known to mankind, however, I also realize certain temptations do not apply to certain people at certain times in their life.

For example, the temptation to violate the Sabbath is a temptation common to mankind. Again, there is no such thing as a temptation that is not common to mankind. Nevertheless, certain people are unaware of the Sabbath commandment, thus, they violate the Sabbath ignorantly. As such, their sin does not involve temptation. But, the question is - Is their sin excusable? If so, then can it also be forgiven without the atoning blood of Jesus?

I think I addressed your concerns in my previous comment.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92563
11/03/07 10:25 PM
11/03/07 10:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe the Bible promises that teach there is no excuse for sinning include temptations that are not only "common" to mankind but that they include every temptation known to mankind. However, I also realize certain temptations do not apply to certain people at certain times in their life:

For example, the temptation to violate the Sabbath is a temptation common to mankind. Again, there is no such thing as a temptation that is not common to mankind. Nevertheless, certain people are unaware of the Sabbath commandment, thus, they violate the Sabbath ignorantly. As such, their sin does not involve temptation.

But, the question is - Is their sin excusable? If so, then can it also be forgiven without the atoning blood of Jesus?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92572
11/04/07 12:04 AM
11/04/07 12:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Do you mean can a person experience forgiveness, or pardon, without the atoning blood of Jesus? If so, then the answer is no. There was no other way for man to be reconciled to God than through the sacrifice of Christ.

I think that Paul, John and the others spoke to that fact that those who exercise faith in Christ will overcome sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92582
11/04/07 04:22 PM
11/04/07 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Good point, Tom. But the question remains - Is their sin excusable? Are sins of ignorance excusable?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92595
11/05/07 02:38 AM
11/05/07 02:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm not sure what you mean be excusable.

Quote:
I saw it was even so, "From even unto even shall ye celebrate your Sabbath." Said the angel, "Take the word of God, read it, understand, and ye cannot err. Read carefully, and ye shall there find what even is, and when it is." I asked the angel if the frown of God had been upon his people for commencing the Sabbath as they have. I was directed back to the first rise of the Sabbath. I followed the people of God up to this time, and did not see that God was displeased, or frowned upon them. I inquired why it had been thus, that at this late day we must change the time of commencing the Sabbath. Said the angel, "Ye shall understand, but not yet, not yet." Said the angel, "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject."(SG 4b, pp. 3, 4)

Does this address your question?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92609
11/05/07 03:06 PM
11/05/07 03:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Sort of. Jesus said something similar - "If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth." (John 9:41) So, is it correct to conclude there are two categories of sin:

1. Non-accountable sin, uncondemned sin.

2. Accountable sin, condemned sin.

Is uncondemned sinning excusable? That is, in the Sabbath example you quoted, was incorrectly commencing the Sabbath a sin? Was there an excuse for their sin? Does this kind of sinning require atonement? If not, why not?

Or, in this case, was it considered not sinning? Does the phrase "there is no sin" (in your quote) mean they were not sining? And, as such, is atonement necessary? If so, why?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92617
11/05/07 05:22 PM
11/05/07 05:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following inspired insights are helpful:

The tempter's agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God. {DA 311.3}

The honest seeker after truth will not plead ignorance of the law as an excuse for transgression. Light was within his reach. God's Word is plain, and Christ has bidden him search the Scriptures. He reveres God's law as holy, just, and good, and he repents of his transgression. {Ev 372.2}

Men and women frame many excuses for their proneness to sin. Sin is represented as a necessity, an evil that cannot be overcome. But sin is not a necessity. {FLB 219.4}

No man without his own consent can be overcome by Satan. The tempter has no power to control the will or to force the soul to sin. He may distress, but he cannot contaminate. He can cause agony, but not defilement. The fact that Christ has conquered should inspire His followers with courage to fight manfully the battle against sin and Satan. {GC 510.3}

But upon him who looks to Jesus as the author and finisher of his faith, Satan's temptations have no power. He cannot cause to sin the one who will accept by faith the virtues of Him who was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin. {Mar 91.3}

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92623
11/05/07 07:48 PM
11/05/07 07:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Is uncondemned sinning excusable?

If sins of ignorance do not incur the frown of God, doesn't that mean they are excusable? God is, in fact, excusing them on the grounds of ignorance, isn't He?

That is, in the Sabbath example you quoted, was incorrectly commencing the Sabbath a sin?

In the same sense that ignorantly keeping Sunday is a sin, it is.

Was there an excuse for their sin? Does this kind of sinning require atonement? If not, why not?

Given that "atonement" is "at-one-ment," if one is ignorant of doing something wrong, then it doesn't seem that anything needs to be done for at-one-ment, other than making known the error to the ignorant party.

Or, in this case, was it considered not sinning? Does the phrase "there is no sin" (in your quote) mean they were not sining? And, as such, is atonement necessary? If so, why?

In the context of the quote, "there is no sin" means they were not sinning. Given "atonement" means "at-one-ment," nothing needed to be done, because the ignorant party was not aware that there was a problem, and the other party, God, was not upset either, so the unity of the two parties was not impacted, apart from the blessing that would be missed by not being "in" the Sabbath, so to speak. So all that needs to be done is for the ignorant party to be made aware of what they were ignorant of.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #92637
11/06/07 06:26 PM
11/06/07 06:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If sins of ignorance do not incur the frown of God, doesn't that mean they are excusable? God is, in fact, excusing them on the grounds of ignorance, isn't He?

MM: But who was more innocent of sinning ignorantly than Eve? She was deceived. Plus, she was unfamiliar with the character of God. She didn't know God well enough to see through Satan's deception. She was not armed and fortified with a saving knowledge of God's character. Who was more ill prepared to resist Satan's temptations than Eve? Whose sin was more excusable than hers? And, yet, God made atonement for her sin. Why?

Also, if a sin of ignorance is excusable, why did God require atonement for it in the OT?

And, what about this insight - "Could excuse for it [sin] be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin." (GC 492) How can God afford to excuse sin? Wouldn't it cease to be sin? Which would mean they aren't doing anything wrong, right?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #92650
11/06/07 10:40 PM
11/06/07 10:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: But who was more innocent of sinning ignorantly than Eve? She was deceived. Plus, she was unfamiliar with the character of God. She didn't know God well enough to see through Satan's deception. She was not armed and fortified with a saving knowledge of God's character. Who was more ill prepared to resist Satan's temptations than Eve? Whose sin was more excusable than hers? And, yet, God made atonement for her sin. Why?

Obviously there's something different about Eve's sin and keeping the Sabbath only until 6:00, don't you agree? Let me establish that we agree on this point first before commenting further, because if you disagree, then my comments won't really fit.

Also, if a sin of ignorance is excusable, why did God require atonement for it in the OT?

After becoming aware it is wrong, it is no longer excusable. The atonement process was a way to let the offending party know that the sin, which was done in ignorance, was forgiven. As EGW pointed out, where there is no light, there is no sin, and no frown of God. Once the error is known, then it must be rectified.

Here's a simple example, don't know how good it is. Let's say you are doing something in our dialogs that bothers me, but I don't mention it. You keep doing it. Eventually I mention it. You say, "sorry" and quit doing it.

During the time of my silence, you were sinning (so to speak) in ignorance. As soon as you became aware you were "sinning," in order to atone for what you did (keeping in mind that atonement is at-one-ment; that is to say, in order to keep our relationship good) you needed to acknowledge what you did and quit doing it. Before you were aware of what you were doing, then you didn't need to do anything.

I should have made myself the fall guy. Oh well, too much typing to undo.

And, what about this insight - "Could excuse for it [sin] be found, or cause be shown for its existence, it would cease to be sin." (GC 492) How can God afford to excuse sin? Wouldn't it cease to be sin? Which would mean they aren't doing anything wrong, right?

I think a problem coming into play here is that the word "sin" is being used to mean different things, depending on the context. When EGW says that where there is no light, there is no sin, she is speaking of one thing. When she says "could excuse for it [sin] be found, or cause be shown for its existence" she is speaking of another.

Do you agree with this?

Anyway, to answer in a general way your question regarding why God cannot excuse sin, sin causes damage to the ones who sin, as well as to one's relationship with God (because of the sin; not because God quits loving the sinner). There is healing that must take place.

Nowhere do we see more clearly the effect of sin than with Adam and Eve. They knew they had done wrong. Their relationship with God was damaged, as well as their own. Their view of God had changed drastically. They became afraid of Him. There was major healing that needed to take place.

If God were to excuse their sin, the damage caused by sin would not have been dealt with. The healing would not have taken place. Sin would have resulted in death.

Something had to be done to set things right. So God gave His only begotten Son. He sacrificed from Himself in order to accomplish an at-one-ment.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!