HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,200
Posts195,682
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
asygo 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, daylily, 2 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 37 1 2 34 35 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98855
04/29/08 09:36 PM
04/29/08 09:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Why would you need any information from me? You are able to tell me what you think the quote means without any information from me.

MM: Actually, I'm not sure why Jesus needs to plead His blood before the Father in order to buy more probationary time for sinners. I know the Father and the Son are on the same page, so why does He need to plead His blood to stay the hand of the Father? Is it just poetic license?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98857
04/29/08 10:26 PM
04/29/08 10:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Why would you need any information from me? You are able to tell me what you think the quote means without any information from me.

MM: Actually, I'm not sure why Jesus needs to plead His blood before the Father in order to buy more probationary time for sinners. I know the Father and the Son are on the same page, so why does He need to plead His blood to stay the hand of the Father? Is it just poetic license?

Hey! We might be on the same page on this.

I think the sanctuary, in general, is designed to teach us spiritual truths, and we get off the track if we try to apply things literally. For example, there is no literal blood in heaven that Jesus literally sprinkles, but that symbolism represents something.

So here we see Jesus pleading before the Father with His hands stretched up saying, "My blood! My blood!"

Obviously the Father doesn't need to be reminded that Jesus died for us. Also, as you rightly point out, Father and Son are "on the same page."

So the conclusion must be that this symbolism is for our benefit. It is communicating some truth to us. What truth?

I think it is that the sacrifice of Christ is accepted by the Father, which is to say that we are accepted in the Beloved. Not because of any merit on our part, but by the grace, or graciousness, of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98885
04/30/08 03:16 PM
04/30/08 03:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Yes, I agree, pleading the blood of Jesus in heaven before the Father in order to buy more probationary time for sinners, to delay the execution of justice and judgment, is symbolic. It symbolizes the intimate relationship between atonement and destruction. In other words, sinners deserve destruction, but the blood of Jesus gives God the legal right to delay it. But a time is coming when God can no longer legitimately delay the destruction of impenitent sinners. The blood of Jesus can no longer serve to spare them.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98906
04/30/08 06:46 PM
04/30/08 06:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, I agree, pleading the blood of Jesus in heaven before the Father in order to buy more probationary time for sinners, to delay the execution of justice and judgment, is symbolic. It symbolizes the intimate relationship between atonement and destruction.

Wow! I see it as symbolizing that we need not fear the Father.

Quote:
In other words, sinners deserve destruction, but the blood of Jesus gives God the legal right to delay it.

This is rather astounding (that you would read this message into the symbolism).

Quote:
But a time is coming when God can no longer legitimately delay the destruction of impenitent sinners. The blood of Jesus can no longer serve to spare them.

You see God as the destroyer then, correct? (as opposed to Satan, by means of sin).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #98932
05/01/08 03:27 PM
05/01/08 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Yes, I agree, pleading the blood of Jesus in heaven before the Father in order to buy more probationary time for sinners, to delay the execution of justice and judgment, is symbolic. It symbolizes the intimate relationship between atonement and destruction.

TE: Wow! I see it as symbolizing that we need not fear the Father.

Why would you fear God since it is He who is holding in check the destruction sinners deserve?

Quote:
In other words, sinners deserve destruction, but the blood of Jesus gives God the legal right to delay it.

TE: This is rather astounding (that you would read this message into the symbolism).

We're talking about Jesus pleading His blood to buy more probationary time for sinners to cease sinning, to experience righteousness by faith, and to delay the destruction they deserve as sinners.

Quote:
But a time is coming when God can no longer legitimately delay the destruction of impenitent sinners. The blood of Jesus can no longer serve to spare them.

TE: You see God as the destroyer then, correct? (as opposed to Satan, by means of sin).

That's not what I said, but it is true that God is the one who law and justice holds responsible for punishing impenitent sinners in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness and then destroying them in the lake of fire.

Law and justice has not commissioned or entrusted sin or Satan to punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire. On the contrary, Satan himself will be punished and destroyed with his sins and with the sins of the saved, consequently, neither he nor sin can do it. After all, who would destroy sin and Satan if the responsibility rested with either one of the two to eliminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #98946
05/01/08 07:52 PM
05/01/08 07:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why would you fear God since it is He who is holding in check the destruction sinners deserve?

This strikes me as a negative way of looking at things.

We, as fallen human beings, fear God for many reasons. For one thing, sin leads us to view God in an incorrect and negative light. For another, Satan misrepresents God, as being like himself, which leads us to fear Him. Finally, our natures are such that we naturally fear God. For these reasons, Scripture is full of reassurances in regards to God, that we should not fear Him (i.e., be afraid of Him; we should fear him in the OT sense, which means to reverence Him, trust Him etc.)

Quote:
We're talking about Jesus pleading His blood to buy more probationary time for sinners to cease sinning, to experience righteousness by faith, and to delay the destruction they deserve as sinners.

This doesn't make sense to me. Jesus doesn't change the probationary time of sinners one iota by pleading His blood before the Father. When Christ's character is reproduced in His people, then He will come, and then probation will end for all, because all will have heard the Gospel. It's the proclamation of the Gospel which determines the time, not an action of Christ's pleading His blood.

Quote:

TE: You see God as the destroyer then, correct? (as opposed to Satan, by means of sin).

MM:That's not what I said, but it is true that God is the one who law and justice holds responsible for punishing impenitent sinners in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness and then destroying them in the lake of fire.

Law and justice has not commissioned or entrusted sin or Satan to punish and destroy sinners in the lake of fire. On the contrary, Satan himself will be punished and destroyed with his sins and with the sins of the saved, consequently, neither he nor sin can do it. After all, who would destroy sin and Satan if the responsibility rested with either one of the two to eliminate sin and sinners in the lake of fire?

Law and justice, as you are talking about it, are new concepts, having to do with Western ideas of these terms, and are not to be found in Scripture. Justice in scripture is not retributive, but restorative. Similarly the law is a transcript of God's character, and simply explains what the principles by which God does things are.

God's law denotes what's good, what's right, the only way of life. When people choose another way, suffering, pain and death result. So God, being good, warns His children not to go down this path. But if they do, it will be they themselves which bring about their own destruction.

This principle is born out in GC 35, 36, which talks about how the Jews forged their own fetters, and brought about their own destruction. This is a universal principle, not a special arrangement by which God "destroyed," one of many principles he might use.

The same principle applies to the final judgment, which is really the scope of what we're discussing here. The wicked bring about their own destruction, which is what DA 764 emphasizes by telling us that their destruction is due to their own choice, as opposed to something God does to them.

1.The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life.
2.When one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life
3.People are given time to develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.
4.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

These all emphasize that destruction comes as a result of one's own choices. God is entirely innocent of the fate of all who are lost. Their destiny is fixed by their own choice, and their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

This view is entirely in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed. His life demonstrates a kingdom based on self-sacrificing love, not on retribution, violence or force. Rather than the judgment being some aspect of God's character which Jesus did not reveal, it is entirely in harmony with God's character, which Jesus revealed. The SOP emphasizes this point is informing us that the judgment is based on these same principles of love, mercy and justice which Jesus Christ revealed.

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." (GC 541)

This quote is speaking of the final judgment. So again, no, the final judgment is *not* some new thing about God we did not know, but the same principles of kindness, mercy and love "taught and exemplified" by our Savior, in particular the principle "Love your enemies."

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #99066
05/05/08 07:44 PM
05/05/08 07:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Why would you fear God since it is He who is holding in check the destruction sinners deserve?

This strikes me as a negative way of looking at things.

We, as fallen human beings, fear God for many reasons. For one thing, sin leads us to view God in an incorrect and negative light. For another, Satan misrepresents God, as being like himself, which leads us to fear Him. Finally, our natures are such that we naturally fear God. For these reasons, Scripture is full of reassurances in regards to God, that we should not fear Him (i.e., be afraid of Him; we should fear him in the OT sense, which means to reverence Him, trust Him etc.)

Not all sins are a result of misunderstanding God. For example, it wasn’t sin that initially led Lucifer to misunderstand God. Not all sins make us afraid of God. For example, the following people were surprised to learn God disapproved of them:

Matthew
7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Quote:

TE: This doesn't make sense to me. Jesus doesn't change the probationary time of sinners one iota by pleading His blood before the Father. When Christ's character is reproduced in His people, then He will come, and then probation will end for all, because all will have heard the Gospel. It's the proclamation of the Gospel which determines the time, not an action of Christ's pleading His blood.

Do you disagree with what is described in the quote we’ve been examining?

2T 106
He cries, "Spare them, Father, spare them, they are the purchase of My blood," and lifts to His Father His wounded hands.{2T 106}

EW 38
I saw four angels who had a work to do on the earth, and were on their way to accomplish it. Jesus was clothed with priestly garments. He gazed in pity on the remnant, then raised His hands, and with a voice of deep pity cried, "My blood, Father, My blood, My blood, My blood!" {EW 38.1}

Quote:

MM:That's not what I said, but it is true that God is the one who law and justice holds responsible for punishing impenitent sinners in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness and then destroying them in the lake of fire.

TE: Law and justice, as you are talking about it, are new concepts, having to do with Western ideas of these terms, and are not to be found in Scripture. Justice in scripture is not retributive, but restorative. Similarly the law is a transcript of God's character, and simply explains what the principles by which God does things are.

God's law denotes what's good, what's right, the only way of life. When people choose another way, suffering, pain and death result. So God, being good, warns His children not to go down this path. But if they do, it will be they themselves which bring about their own destruction.

This principle is born out in GC 35, 36, which talks about how the Jews forged their own fetters, and brought about their own destruction. This is a universal principle, not a special arrangement by which God "destroyed," one of many principles he might use.

The same principle applies to the final judgment, which is really the scope of what we're discussing here. The wicked bring about their own destruction, which is what DA 764 emphasizes by telling us that their destruction is due to their own choice, as opposed to something God does to them.

1.The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life.
2.When one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life
3.People are given time to develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice.
4.By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire.

These all emphasize that destruction comes as a result of one's own choices. God is entirely innocent of the fate of all who are lost. Their destiny is fixed by their own choice, and their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

This view is entirely in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed. His life demonstrates a kingdom based on self-sacrificing love, not on retribution, violence or force. Rather than the judgment being some aspect of God's character which Jesus did not reveal, it is entirely in harmony with God's character, which Jesus revealed. The SOP emphasizes this point is informing us that the judgment is based on these same principles of love, mercy and justice which Jesus Christ revealed.

God doesn’t decide to punish and destroy sinners simply because He feels it like. Of course not. Sinners are punished and destroyed in the lake of fire for the simple reason they neglected to embrace the truth. Here’s how she puts it:

PP 55
In the judgment men will not be condemned because they conscientiously believed a lie, but because they did not believe the truth, because they neglected the opportunity of learning what is truth. {PP 55.2}

DA 489
Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth. {DA 489.5}

Quote:

MM: That's not what I said, but it is true that God is the one who law and justice holds responsible for punishing impenitent sinners in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness and then destroying them in the lake of fire.

Listen as she explains it:

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095) “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22) “Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." (GC 541)

TE: This quote is speaking of the final judgment. So again, no, the final judgment is *not* some new thing about God we did not know, but the same principles of kindness, mercy and love "taught and exemplified" by our Savior, in particular the principle "Love your enemies."

Tom, let’s look at your quote in context:

Quote:
God has given to men a declaration of His character and of His method of dealing with sin.

"The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty." Exodus 34:6, 7.

"All the wicked will He destroy." "The transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off." Psalms 145:20; 37:38.

The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being. {GC 541.2}

The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies."

God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited.

He would make them happy if He could do so in accordance with the laws of His government and the justice of His character. He surrounds them with the tokens of His love, He grants them a knowledge of His law, and follows them with the offers of His mercy; but they despise His love, make void His law, and reject His mercy. While constantly receiving His gifts, they dishonor the Giver; they hate God because they know that He abhors their sins.

The Lord bears long with their perversity; but the decisive hour will come at last, when their destiny is to be decided. Will He then chain these rebels to His side? Will He force them to do His will? {GC 541.4}

The Bible says, "All the wicked will He destroy." But you say, They destroy themselves.

Sister White wrote, “The power and authority of the divine government will be employed to put down rebellion; yet all the manifestations of retributive justice will be perfectly consistent with the character of God as a merciful, long-suffering, benevolent being.” But you say, They destroy themselves.

Sister White wrote, “God executes justice upon the wicked, for the good of the universe, and even for the good of those upon whom His judgments are visited.” But you say, They destroy themselves.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #99074
05/05/08 09:38 PM
05/05/08 09:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Not all sins are a result of misunderstanding God.

I wrote that sin causes us to misunderstand God. It's also true that sins are a result of misunderstanding God, so there's a vicious cycle that goes on, but that wasn't my point here. I wrote:

Quote:
We, as fallen human beings, fear God for many reasons. For one thing, sin leads us to view God in an incorrect and negative light.

Quote:
For example, it wasn’t sin that initially led Lucifer to misunderstand God. Not all sins make us afraid of God.

I think sin always has this result. We see this in what happened to Adam and Eve.

Quote:
For example, the following people were surprised to learn God disapproved of them:

Matthew
7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It should be remembered that Jesus said this to make clear a point. The point is that one can be unconverted and think one is doing things for the Lord, when that's not really the case.

Quote:
There always have been and always will be two classes on the earth to the end of time--the believers in Jesus, and those who reject Him. Sinners, however wicked, abominable, and corrupt, by faith in Him will be purified, made clean, through the doing of His word. . . . Those who reject Christ and refuse to believe the truth will be filled with bitterness against those who accept Jesus as a personal Saviour. But those who receive Christ are melted and subdued by the manifestation of His love and His humiliation, suffering, and death in their behalf.(Our Father Cares 44)

Those who are in the group that think they have done great works have been deluded by sin. They, in reality, hate Jesus Christ and His followers. This really proves my point, because these people have been so deluded by sin that they don't even realize that they don't know Jesus Christ.

At the final judgment, this will be their reaction:

Quote:
Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. (GC 541)

Note that they have, indeed, been corrupted by sin. They have been unfitted for heaven, and God's mere presence is to them as a consuming fire. They just want to flee from God (the same as Adam and Eve).

Quote:
Do you disagree with what is described in the quote we’ve been examining?

2T 106
He cries, "Spare them, Father, spare them, they are the purchase of My blood," and lifts to His Father His wounded hands.{2T 106}

I've been telling you what I think it means. I haven't been disagreeing with it. That would be impossible. She's telling something she saw. The only way I could disagree with it would be if I didn't believe she actually saw this in vision.

I believe she saw what she said in vision, and I've been attempting to explain what I think God was trying to communicate to her (and us through her).

Quote:
EW 38
I saw four angels who had a work to do on the earth, and were on their way to accomplish it. Jesus was clothed with priestly garments. He gazed in pity on the remnant, then raised His hands, and with a voice of deep pity cried, "My blood, Father, My blood, My blood, My blood!" {EW 38.1}

The same thing apples here. We've both agreeing that the Father and Jesus are on the same side, so we've been discussing how this should be understood. Certainly Jesus was not trying to influence the Father to do something the Father was disinclined to do.

The only way I could disagree with this would be to deny that Ellen White really saw this in vision. I'm sure she did see this. Why did God give her this vision? What does He want us to know? That's the question.

Quote:

God doesn’t decide to punish and destroy sinners simply because He feels it like. Of course not. Sinners are punished and destroyed in the lake of fire for the simple reason they neglected to embrace the truth.

Sort of. It's not that they neglected some arbitrary fact, but that they neglected information regarding their safety, information that would protect them from danger.

For example, suppose it's a rainy night, with poor visibility, and your driving, and I tell you, "Stop! The bridge is out!" If you continue, and are destroyed because you neglected by counsel, are you condemned because you neglected truth? Yes. But only because that which I was warning you of really was dangerous. It is the fact that the bridge was out that caused your demise; not simply that you didn't do what I said.

Quote:

Here’s how she puts it:

PP 55
In the judgment men will not be condemned because they conscientiously believed a lie, but because they did not believe the truth, because they neglected the opportunity of learning what is truth. {PP 55.2}

DA 489
Our condemnation in the judgment will not result from the fact that we have been in error, but from the fact that we have neglected heaven-sent opportunities for learning what is truth. {DA 489.5}

Yes, this is the same idea I've been citing you in regards to the condemnation of infants. Condemnation, or the frown of God, comes when light is rejected. Again, that's what I've been saying, right?

Quote:
Listen as she explains it:

“By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095) “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22) “Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

None of these actions are arbitrary (i.e. "imposed"; not "capricious").

There are two roads. One is a road which leads to death, the other to life. The road that leads to life is the road of "the law of life for the universe." It is characterized by receiving from God, and giving to others. The other road, that leads to death, is the road of selfishness. It is characterized by receiving from God, and hoarding, and, more than that, taking from others, and stealing from God.

God, in love and mercy, warns us of the truth. "Don't go this way! This leads to death!" He warns us. "Come, My child! This is the way!" He beckons us.

If He refuses, He gives us the result of our choice (this is His wrath). We see what happens in the GC 543 quote. Those who choose the wrong path unfit themselves for heaven, and long to flee from God's presence. He can't, in love, chain them to His side, as EGW puts it. In love, mercy and kindness, God allows them the fruit of their choice, which is death.

Quote:
The Bible says, "All the wicked will He destroy." But you say, They destroy themselves.

Inspiration says both. It is not I who says the wicked destroy themselves. I've quoted to you at length many inspired passages which state this.

Here's one I haven't presented before:

Quote:
In the day of judgment, every one will receive sentence according to his deeds. Every mouth will be stopped, as the cross is presented, and its real bearing seen. Sinners will stand condemned. Every subterfuge, every excuse, will be swept away. Sin will appear in all its sinfulness. The mystery of the incarnation and the crucifixion of the Son of God will be plainly discerned, and every condemned soul will read clearly the result of a rejection of truth. Those who have chosen to transgress will then understand that they have sinned, and come short. They will read the sentence, Thou, O man, hast chosen to stand under the banner of the great apostate, and, in so doing, thou hast destroyed thyself.(ST 1/25/05)

So it's not just me, right?

So both the following statements are in accordance with inspiration:

a.The wicked destroy themselves.
b.God destroys the wicked.

How do we understand this? It's easy, given that inspiration often presents God as doing that which He permits.

The exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. God allows the wicked that which they choose, which is destruction.

Here's something I have quoted before:

Quote:
This is not an act of arbitrary power on the part of God. The rejecters of His mercy reap that which they have sown. God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life. ...God gives them existence for a time that they may develop their character and reveal their principles. This accomplished, they receive the results of their own choice. By a life of rebellion, Satan and all who unite with him place themselves so out of harmony with God that His very presence is to them a consuming fire. (DA 764)

The destruction which comes upon the wicked is not "an act of arbitrary power on the part of God," but rather "the results of their own choice."

This is very similar to the GC 543 quote, in that she points out that the wicked wreck their characters, so that God's mere presence is to them a consuming fire, and that their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #99136
05/07/08 05:53 PM
05/07/08 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thank you, Tom, for discussing these issues with me. I'm pretty sure I understand your point of view. In answer to the question - To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? - you believe He paid us, right?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #99142
05/07/08 06:14 PM
05/07/08 06:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No. Christ did not owe us a debt.

Page 36 of 37 1 2 34 35 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
A campaign against the church
by dedication. 06/15/24 10:48 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 06/10/24 07:32 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!