HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,201
Posts195,688
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 5
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
9 registered members (TheophilusOne, Daryl, Karen Y, Kevin H, dedication, daylily, 3 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97815
04/06/08 02:00 AM
04/06/08 02:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Imperfection had nothing to do with God not allowing David to build the temple.

TV: David himself claimed it was because of the blood he had shed and the wars he had fought. 1 cron 22

What makes you think this is an imperfection?

Quote:
MM: Sin and death have lost already? In what way? People are still sinning and dying.

TV: Did Jesus not defeat sin on the cross and death in His resurrection?

Apparently not; people are still sinning and dying.

Quote:
TV: What does righteousness have to do with it? We are righteous in and through Him by whom sin and death was destroyed.

MM: To what degree are people righteous in and through Jesus? Do people still sin and repent?

TV: For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

21For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
22WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH;
23and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
25For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

By quoting these two passages do you mean to answer my question with a No? That is, in and through Jesus they are righteous, they do not sin and repent?

Quote:
TV: We may walk the path down to our goal as did Enoch or we may only have time to take our very first step, but as the promise always comes before the law, ours is not to worry about how far anyone else gets down the path but to step out in faith believing the promise.

MM: What is the promise? What does it say about us and perfection and salvation?

TV: God made promises about blessings and a son to Abraham and Abraham believed God. Therefore God regarded Abraham as righteous. This son that was promised to Abraham is Jesus we learn in Galatian. These promises are offered to us aswell and our part is to believe God.

Are you saying if we believe God promised Abraham that Jesus would be his son that we are perfect and saved?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97819
04/06/08 02:33 AM
04/06/08 02:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I've never suggested that the Holy Spirit winks at sinful behavior that makes Christianity a joke to those who observe it.

MM: This may explain why we have been speaking past each other. This is the only thing I have been asking about. Your comment above seems to indicate you believe the Holy Spirit does not wink at the types of offensive sinful behaviors in born again believers that cause people around them to despise the Gospel. Am I hearing you right?

---

TE: It seems to me you are suggesting that once one is born again, one's behavior is all of a sudden perfect, that there is no learning that goes on. This seems neither Scriptural, nor in line with reality.

MM: What do you mean by "perfect"? Does it include not behaving in a way that causes people to conclude Christianity is a joke? Which behaviors belong in this category?

What do you mean by "learning"? Does it include gradually outgrowing sinful behaviors that cause people to conclude Christianity is a joke? Which behaviors belong in this category?

I realize you feel we shouldn't focus on sinful behaviors, but it's important to me to understand it properly. Jesus said, By their fruits ye shall them. People watch us and form opinions about Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is the one who convicts us of sin and of righteousness. In the past you've explained to me how the Holy Spirit waits after we are born again to reveal certain sinful behaviors to us until we are ready to confront, to confess, and to crucify them.

First you named polygamy as an example of a category of sinful behavior the Holy Spirit waits to reveal. Then you named bad breath from not brushing teeth as another category. You've also named believing in eternal torment in hell. But I'm still not clear what to believe about it.

What does it mean - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not. Does it mean they stop committing some sins but they still commit others? If so, what is an example of a sin they might continue to commit after they are born again? Do they commit this sin without realizing it? If so, why aren't they aware of the fact they are sinning?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97821
04/06/08 03:01 AM
04/06/08 03:01 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: I've never suggested that the Holy Spirit winks at sinful behavior that makes Christianity a joke to those who observe it.

MM: This may explain why we have been speaking past each other. This is the only thing I have been asking about. Your comment above seems to indicate you believe the Holy Spirit does not wink at the types of offensive sinful behaviors in born again believers that cause people around them to despise the Gospel. Am I hearing you right?

Please quote something I've said. What I remember saying is this:

a)We would be better off concentrating on God's character than trying to parse fine details about behavior.
b)Your theory that man cannot commit a sin in ignorance, if this sin is a violation of the last 6 commandments, has no basis.

Quote:
TE: It seems to me you are suggesting that once one is born again, one's behavior is all of a sudden perfect, that there is no learning that goes on. This seems neither Scriptural, nor in line with reality.

MM: What do you mean by "perfect"?

Perfect behavior would mean without fault.

Quote:
Does it include not behaving in a way that causes people to conclude Christianity is a joke?

That would depend on the person. Some people would conclude Christianity is a joke because you don't get high. Perhaps you could ask your question in a way which is not pejorative, and not vague. What precisely do you have in mind?

Quote:
Which behaviors belong in this category?

Yes, this is my question to you.

Quote:
What do you mean by "learning"?

You don't know what learning means?

Quote:
Does it include gradually outgrowing sinful behaviors that cause people to conclude Christianity is a joke? Which behaviors belong in this category?

Again, the first question is pejorative and vague. The second question is what I'm asking you.

Quote:
I realize you feel we shouldn't focus on sinful behaviors, but it's important to me to understand it properly.

Yes, you do seem fixated on this.

Quote:
Jesus said, By their fruits ye shall them. People watch us and form opinions about Jesus.

The Holy Spirit is the one who convicts us of sin and of righteousness. In the past you've explained to me how the Holy Spirit waits after we are born again to reveal certain sinful behaviors to us until we are ready to confront, to confess, and to crucify them.

Before we are born again, we would hardly be interested in confronting certain sins, would we? I mean, we wouldn't even understand them. Say, for example, the sin of being ostentatious in the giving of tithes, as the Pharisees were. Before being born again, there's a good chance we wouldn't be going to church, so we wouldn't have any church-going related sins to confess or crucify. There's a whole host of spiritual pride sins that we have no inkling of before being born again.

Quote:
First you named polygamy as an example of a category of sinful behavior the Holy Spirit waits to reveal.

No, I listed this as a sin which a man commits ignorantly. I did this to demonstrate that your theory that man cannot ignorantly break the last six commandments is incorrect.

Quote:
Then you named bad breath from not brushing teeth as another category.

No, I didn't list this as an example. I asked you a question, which you haven't answered, which is what behavior should be included in your list. I asked if this qualified.

Quote:
You've also named believing in eternal torment in hell.

The example of believing in eternal torment goes to the point of misunderstanding God's character. Your concern is over misrepresenting God, making Christianity into a joke, by one's behavior. I've asked you what about misunderstanding God's character, and misspeaking of it. Now mightn't that cause a person to view God in a negative light? Isn't that as important to correct as a wrong behavior?

Quote:
But I'm still not clear what to believe about it.

Believe about what?

Quote:
What does it mean - Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not. Does it mean they stop committing some sins but they still commit others? If so, what is an example of a sin they might continue to commit after they are born again? Do they commit this sin without realizing it? If so, why aren't they aware of the fact they are sinning?

It means that it is not characteristic of a Christian to sin. It's very simple. A Christian should be like Christ. It's like Ellen White wrote, that if we are born of God, as a child of His, we can't help but be like Him.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97822
04/06/08 03:09 AM
04/06/08 03:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The reason focusing on God's character is important is because that's the issue over which Satan was able to get angels and men to fall. In order to get at a solution to a problem, we need to understand the root of the problem.

Satan broke the law of life, which is to receive from God in order to give that which we have receive either back to God or to others. Instead, he created a new law, the law of sin and death, which is to receive from God, and not give from that which one has received. Adding to that, his law is to take that which belongs others for oneself.

Satan wanted to win converts to his side. In order to do that, it was necessary for him to lie. He lied about God's character, representing Him as such a one as himself; severe, harsh, not having the best interest of those under his power in mind, as using force to get his way. Satan is like this, but God is not. However, many believe that God is.

In order to demonstrate what God is really like, God sent His Son. Jesus Christ revealed God to be kind, gentle, compassionate, forgiving, courteous, patient, having the best interest of his subjects in mind, and not using force to get His way. Indeed, rather than use force, God, in Christ, submitted to force, even to the point of death.

God, while being all-powerful, does not use His power to save Himself, but to save others. He is totally self-sacrificing, totally good. In Christ, we see the truth about God.

As long as our understanding of God's character is in error, it doesn't matter how good our behavior looks to others. We're missing the point as long as this behavior is our focus. We're scratching where it doesn't itch.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97828
04/06/08 11:29 AM
04/06/08 11:29 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
 Quote:
MM: Imperfection had nothing to do with God not allowing David to build the temple.

TV: David himself claimed it was because of the blood he had shed and the wars he had fought. 1 cron 22

What makes you think this is an imperfection?
David wants to build God a temple. God decides David is not fit for the job. David later says that it was because of his many wars. What other word would you use to describe the event?
 Quote:

Quote:
MM: Sin and death have lost already? In what way? People are still sinning and dying.

Apparently not; people are still sinning and dying.
So since nothing recogniseable appeared to have happened, the cross was an non-event? How much more would this speak about 1844? Truly nothing appareant happened there.
 Quote:

Quote:
TV: What does righteousness have to do with it? We are righteous in and through Him by whom sin and death was destroyed.

MM: To what degree are people righteous in and through Jesus? Do people still sin and repent?

TV: For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

21For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
23and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously;
24and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.
25For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

By quoting these two passages do you mean to answer my question with a No? That is, in and through Jesus they are righteous, they do not sin and repent?
I think we are agreed that sinning is not in God's plan for any human. Yet we both also know that sinning is in the experience of all humans. We get righteousness through Jesus because that is the only source of righteousness we have. Selfrighteousness deserves its ill repute. Being granted Jesus righteousness also leads to beholding Him and thus being changed into His image. Wether that also leads to a life without sin I do not know, I have never seen or experienced such a thing.
 Quote:

Quote:
TV: We may walk the path down to our goal as did Enoch or we may only have time to take our very first step, but as the promise always comes before the law, ours is not to worry about how far anyone else gets down the path but to step out in faith believing the promise.

MM: What is the promise? What does it say about us and perfection and salvation?

TV: God made promises about blessings and a son to Abraham and Abraham believed God. Therefore God regarded Abraham as righteous. This son that was promised to Abraham is Jesus we learn in Galatian. These promises are offered to us aswell and our part is to believe God.

Are you saying if we believe God promised Abraham that Jesus would be his son that we are perfect and saved?
I am saying that if we do as Abraham did and believe God's promises to us, we are saved. What more is required of us?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97834
04/06/08 04:28 PM
04/06/08 04:28 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

MM: What makes you think this is an imperfection?

TV: David wants to build God a temple. God decides David is not fit for the job. David later says that it was because of his many wars. What other word would you use to describe the event?

God commanded David to fight and defeat his enemies. In so doing, he honored and gloried God. There was nothing sinful or defective or imperfect about David killing people in battle. "The battle belongs to the Lord." True, he was not allowed to build the temple because his hands were stained with the blood of war, but it wasn't because his heart or character was stained with sin.

Quote:

MM: Apparently not; people are still sinning and dying.

TV: So since nothing recogniseable appeared to have happened, the cross was an non-event? How much more would this speak about 1844? Truly nothing appareant happened there.

Neither Jesus' death on the cross nor His moving into the most holy place in 1844 prevents people from sinning and dying. This is painfully apparent. Nevertheless, on the cross Jesus earned the right to own our sin and second death. At the end of time He will eliminate sin and death in the lake of fire.

Quote:

MM: By quoting these two passages do you mean to answer my question with a No? That is, in and through Jesus they are righteous, they do not sin and repent?

TV: I think we are agreed that sinning is not in God's plan for any human. Yet we both also know that sinning is in the experience of all humans. We get righteousness through Jesus because that is the only source of righteousness we have. Selfrighteousness deserves its ill repute. Being granted Jesus righteousness also leads to beholding Him and thus being changed into His image. Wether that also leads to a life without sin I do not know, I have never seen or experienced such a thing.

If Jesus cannot empower people to cease sinning, to mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit - wouldn't that mean Satan is right about the law of God? If Satan is right, if obeying the law is not possible, why did Jesus have to suffer and die on the cross?

Quote:

MM: Are you saying if we believe God promised Abraham that Jesus would be his son that we are perfect and saved?

TV: I am saying that if we do as Abraham did and believe God's promises to us, we are saved. What more is required of us?

What is God promising us? What are we required to believe?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97848
04/06/08 08:54 PM
04/06/08 08:54 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Quote:

MM: What makes you think this is an imperfection?

TV: David wants to build God a temple. God decides David is not fit for the job. David later says that it was because of his many wars. What other word would you use to describe the event?

God commanded David to fight and defeat his enemies. In so doing, he honored and gloried God. There was nothing sinful or defective or imperfect about David killing people in battle. "The battle belongs to the Lord." True, he was not allowed to build the temple because his hands were stained with the blood of war, but it wasn't because his heart or character was stained with sin.
Not even when he used a war to depose an old friend who had the bad luck of being the husband of the kings mistress?
 Quote:

Quote:

MM: Apparently not; people are still sinning and dying.

TV: So since nothing recogniseable appeared to have happened, the cross was an non-event? How much more would this speak about 1844? Truly nothing appareant happened there.

Neither Jesus' death on the cross nor His moving into the most holy place in 1844 prevents people from sinning and dying. This is painfully apparent. Nevertheless, on the cross Jesus earned the right to own our sin and second death. At the end of time He will eliminate sin and death in the lake of fire.
So are you saying that after the final judgment when God has shown that people can be trusted to choose Him rather than sin by their on free choise, that God will then continue to remove the further possibility of choise by making sin impossible? The cross was the decisive victory. All battles since then have not had the option of chainging the outcome of the war.
 Quote:

Quote:

MM: By quoting these two passages do you mean to answer my question with a No? That is, in and through Jesus they are righteous, they do not sin and repent?

TV: I think we are agreed that sinning is not in God's plan for any human. Yet we both also know that sinning is in the experience of all humans. We get righteousness through Jesus because that is the only source of righteousness we have. Selfrighteousness deserves its ill repute. Being granted Jesus righteousness also leads to beholding Him and thus being changed into His image. Wether that also leads to a life without sin I do not know, I have never seen or experienced such a thing.

If Jesus cannot empower people to cease sinning, to mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit - wouldn't that mean Satan is right about the law of God? If Satan is right, if obeying the law is not possible, why did Jesus have to suffer and die on the cross?
I think the bottom line here is, what is the controversy about. Is satans accusation that the law cannot be kept or is it that God is not who He says He is? In the lists of heroes of faith we find in the scriptures, how did the individuals overcome? By keeping the law or by trusting in God.
 Quote:

Quote:

MM: Are you saying if we believe God promised Abraham that Jesus would be his son that we are perfect and saved?

TV: I am saying that if we do as Abraham did and believe God's promises to us, we are saved. What more is required of us?

What is God promising us? What are we required to believe?
That Jesus is the anointed one of promise who came, Son of God to reveal who God is, to provide adoption into Gods family to whosoever wills and believes.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97859
04/07/08 02:30 AM
04/07/08 02:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: God commanded David to fight and defeat his enemies. In so doing, he honored and gloried God. There was nothing sinful or defective or imperfect about David killing people in battle. "The battle belongs to the Lord." True, he was not allowed to build the temple because his hands were stained with the blood of war, but it wasn't because his heart or character was stained with sin.

TV: Not even when he used a war to depose an old friend who had the bad luck of being the husband of the kings mistress?

Common on, Thomas. You're ignoring the point. Do you agree with what I posted above?

Quote:
MM: Neither Jesus' death on the cross nor His moving into the most holy place in 1844 prevents people from sinning and dying. This is painfully apparent. Nevertheless, on the cross Jesus earned the right to own our sin and second death. At the end of time He will eliminate sin and death in the lake of fire.

TV: So are you saying that after the final judgment when God has shown that people can be trusted to choose Him rather than sin by their on free choise, that God will then continue to remove the further possibility of choise by making sin impossible? The cross was the decisive victory. All battles since then have not had the option of chainging the outcome of the war.

No, I'm not saying God will eliminate free will when He eliminates our sins and second death in the lake of fire. Do you agree with what I posted above?

Quote:
MM: If Jesus cannot empower people to cease sinning, to mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit - wouldn't that mean Satan is right about the law of God? If Satan is right, if obeying the law is not possible, why did Jesus have to suffer and die on the cross?

TV: I think the bottom line here is, what is the controversy about. Is satans accusation that the law cannot be kept or is it that God is not who He says He is? In the lists of heroes of faith we find in the scriptures, how did the individuals overcome? By keeping the law or by trusting in God.

Satan's accusations mean God is not trustworthy because He insists we obey a law that cannot be obeyed perfectly. To trust God is to obey His law. Do you think Jesus can empower people to obey the law perfectly?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97881
04/07/08 04:40 PM
04/07/08 04:40 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Quote:
MM: God commanded David to fight and defeat his enemies. In so doing, he honored and gloried God. There was nothing sinful or defective or imperfect about David killing people in battle. "The battle belongs to the Lord." True, he was not allowed to build the temple because his hands were stained with the blood of war, but it wasn't because his heart or character was stained with sin.

TV: Not even when he used a war to depose an old friend who had the bad luck of being the husband of the kings mistress?

Common on, Thomas. You're ignoring the point. Do you agree with what I posted above?
What you wrote goes beyond scripture.
 Quote:

Quote:
MM: Neither Jesus' death on the cross nor His moving into the most holy place in 1844 prevents people from sinning and dying. This is painfully apparent. Nevertheless, on the cross Jesus earned the right to own our sin and second death. At the end of time He will eliminate sin and death in the lake of fire.

TV: So are you saying that after the final judgment when God has shown that people can be trusted to choose Him rather than sin by their on free choise, that God will then continue to remove the further possibility of choise by making sin impossible? The cross was the decisive victory. All battles since then have not had the option of chainging the outcome of the war.

No, I'm not saying God will eliminate free will when He eliminates our sins and second death in the lake of fire. Do you agree with what I posted above?
Yes and no. While sin and death will be finally eliminated at the end of this age, I still maintain that both were defeated 2000 years ago. As Paul wrote:

55"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"
56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;
57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.
 Quote:

Quote:
MM: If Jesus cannot empower people to cease sinning, to mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit - wouldn't that mean Satan is right about the law of God? If Satan is right, if obeying the law is not possible, why did Jesus have to suffer and die on the cross?

TV: I think the bottom line here is, what is the controversy about. Is satans accusation that the law cannot be kept or is it that God is not who He says He is? In the lists of heroes of faith we find in the scriptures, how did the individuals overcome? By keeping the law or by trusting in God.

Satan's accusations mean God is not trustworthy because He insists we obey a law that cannot be obeyed perfectly. To trust God is to obey His law. Do you think Jesus can empower people to obey the law perfectly?
Do you or do you know anyone or have you heard about anyone other than Jesus who has ever obeyed the law perfectly? Read the eleventh chapter of Hebrews. What characterises all of these people who appears in the annals? Was it the perfect keeping of the law which let Rahab and Samson join Moses and Abraham in the same list?

Galatians 2

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97908
04/08/08 02:13 AM
04/08/08 02:13 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: What you wrote goes beyond scripture.

MM: How so?

---

TV: Yes and no. While sin and death will be finally eliminated at the end of this age, I still maintain that both were defeated 2000 years ago. As Paul wrote:

MM: Isn't Paul talking about the day Jesus returns? Also, in what way did Jesus defeat sin and death on the cross?

---

TV: Do you or do you know anyone or have you heard about anyone other than Jesus who has ever obeyed the law perfectly? Read the eleventh chapter of Hebrews. What characterises all of these people who appears in the annals? Was it the perfect keeping of the law which let Rahab and Samson join Moses and Abraham in the same list?

MM: Being perfect (not committing known sins and maturing the fruits of the Spirit) is conditional, right? People are perfect if and when they are abiding in Jesus. If and when they are not abiding in Jesus they are not perfect. At least that's how John and Paul and Peter describe it.

So, yes, there are plenty of people who are perfect, but only while they are abiding in Jesus. Will it be obvious to us that they are abiding in Jesus, that are experiencing perfection? Not always. Jesus went mostly unnoticed the first 30 years of His life. Yes, there were people who realized He was righteous and blameless, but most people paid no attention.

Page 21 of 38 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:14 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:08 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 06/13/24 11:31 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by dedication. 06/10/24 04:22 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 06/10/24 12:21 AM
Creation of the Sabbath at the Beginning.
by dedication. 06/09/24 06:50 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 06/07/24 08:04 PM
Deceptive Doctrines of Devils
by dedication. 06/07/24 05:00 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 06/07/24 01:04 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 06/06/24 05:13 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by kland. 06/17/24 05:57 PM
A campaign against the church
by kland. 06/17/24 05:52 PM
The Investigative Judgment
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:22 PM
Will we continue to sin till the end?
by Rick H. 06/15/24 08:15 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by daylily. 06/15/24 08:14 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 06/06/24 10:25 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!