HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19853
05/11/02 07:50 PM
05/11/02 07:50 PM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
That's interesting. At least he's responding to reproof in some way. But it seems that such a 'man of God', who says his prayers can alter the paths of hurricanes (!), would know that he shouldn't be involved in such a thing from the start. No one should have to tell him. Surely he's read Romans 14:13 -- "Judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way."

From a Yahoo! article about this:

quote:

"Very frankly, none of this brought any sense of embarrassment to me because I felt then, and feel now, there is nothing wrong with contests of skill, either between human athletes or equine athletes," he wrote.

However, he concluded, "for your sake and the sake of others like you," he will dispose of all his horse racing interests by November.

link to Yahoo! article

No sense of guilt or wrongdoing over the gambling issue whatsoever. Hmmm.

[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: John ]

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19854
05/11/02 08:32 PM
05/11/02 08:32 PM
Markell Moss  Offline
Posting New Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
How silly! This is just like owning a Roman Colosseum and letting people be murdered in it in brutal blood-games, then saying, "Hey- *I* never killed anyone! I just happen to own a colosseum... I just watch what they do with it. Not like I'm down there with my sword..."

It's not enough to avoid *doing* something, but if we have the power to prevent evil from happening we should do it! Promoting evil is as bad as doing the evil yourself.... maybe worse.

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19855
06/10/02 06:32 AM
06/10/02 06:32 AM
J E Halstead  Offline
Posting New Member
Candler, NC USA
Why should WE judge this man?

I used to race my horse against neighbors too. I've gone to races to see the horses run because I love it. I quit going because others might see me going and assume it was good to be involved in the whole race scene (including the betting).

As someone pointed out above, Mr. Robertson has responded, positively I must add, though that wasn't emphasized in that message. Rather than judging over what we might see as wrong, should we not now compliment the humble and correct response to the correction received?

He might not be our pastor but he is God's servant to the best of his lights, and we should offer our correction to him, not each other. We should rejoice with each other over his correct response. Doesn't that seem a better way to be a Christian brother/sister?

JEH

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19856
09/14/02 11:14 AM
09/14/02 11:14 AM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
OK, this is getting to be a bit much...Wow Pat Robertson owns and races a horse. There is NO comparison to the Roman Colliseums here. What will we think next? People who purchase pyjamas made in Cuba support Castro and Communism?
Mr. Robertson is accountable to God, he is not accountable to any Man. Even in public office he is only accountable to God. If man does not "like" what they see in him, he will not continue as a leader in the Country, in any form.
Just because I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan (Go Leafs GO)and I own some Leafs memorabelia, and Isometimes watch them on TV, does not mean that I support the drinking of alcohol. BUT some may say I do, because a major alcohol company is a major sponsor to the Leafs, and my support of the leafs could hold me in colaboration with Molson, or Labbat's.
Let's not judge another man due to the splinter in his eye, because we each have a stick in our own. Yes this is a public man, and he is under scrutiny of the public, but are'nt we all?
Stumbling block? Hey it seems that just by saying hello to someone, I can be judged as becoming a stumbling block...let's get serious here, "what is a stumbling block"? If I wear a necklace, is this a possible stumbling block, and why? If my church elder wears a "Rolex" is this a stumbling block? If I go to the car race track outside of Fredericton is this a stumbling block? If I arrive 20 minutes late for Sabbath School is this a stumbling block? If I own and run (but don't wager money) a race horse is this a stumbling block? ...

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19857
09/15/02 02:53 AM
09/15/02 02:53 AM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
Judging doesn't seem to be the problem.
This started out as sharing an article about a prominent figure 'seemingly' doing something that is contrary to what he preached.

Whether or not he gambled is not the problem, his contributing to it is.

The leaders of the church (Adventist or any other) must be circumspect in their behaviour. They must avoid even the appearance impropriety.

I think the point that sister Avalee was attempting to make was thus:
Even if the person does not activly participate in the goings on, they are held accountable for their part in making the activity possible, i.e., the gaming that goes on at a race track, or even more severe, the events that took place in the colleseum (sp?). We all will give an account of all our activities one day, and you are right, it is not our place to judge someone, however, the bible plainly states: Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.
I had a venerable old Elder tell me one time that we are not here to judge, we are simply 'fruit inspectors', [Smile] and so, by the fruit of their lives, we will know them, who they are and what they truly represent.
If they are active in those things they ought not to be, they must be ready to hear about it, and be willing to listen with an open heart and be willing to do what is necessary to remove the offending action from their lives.

From the reports, he has done this and ought to be thanked for his willingness to not be a stumbling block to another brother or sister finding their way to God.
My $0.02,
God Bless
God bless.

[ September 15, 2002, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Gerry Buck ]

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19858
09/18/02 08:22 PM
09/18/02 08:22 PM
A
Andrew Marttinen  Offline
Pastor
Dedicated Member
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canad...
About Colosseums--a comprison of the two was the first thing that came to my mind.

I have been reading about the history of the early Christians in a book by Albert Bell. There he has accounts of a huge problem in the early church about members who attended gladiator battles. One article he sited was written by a Christian who was in the process of being "weaned" away from violent and ungodly sports and the struggles he had with it. The writer described the "rush" he had with seeing the action and festivities as an addiction.

Re: He Preaches Against Gambling but Owns A Racehorse #19859
09/28/02 05:47 AM
09/28/02 05:47 AM
Zita  Offline
Christchurch, New Zealand
Last week the head of Support groups for NZ for gambling adiction was found out after he gambled away thousands of the Societys money. He held their credit cards!

After months of the accountant and others trying to get to the bottome of things, while he blissfully carried on his renewed addiction, he finally admitted it.
It is a real sickness with some.

He has, of course, now resigned, but if only he could have allowed himself to get help, and saved himself the embarrasment.
It showed pictures of him giving very forceful public talks against, while at the same time he was practising (again).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!