HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,613
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Your Church music #34230
01/29/05 10:37 PM
01/29/05 10:37 PM
Brooks K. Potter  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
College Place, WA
I'm a member of the College Place Village SDA church, in College Place, Washington, USA. The total membership of our church is about 1,850, but has only an average attendance of about 600 people per Sabbath, split between two services. The worship services are eclectic, in the hope that everyone, from whatever their backround and musical tastes, will experience true worship. My wife is the Music Director, and she and the pastor are doing their best to get as many members involved is sharing their musical gifts. I would say that overall, the music would be on the conservative side when compared to other SDAs churches of similar size in the NAD.

Brooks

Re: Your Church music #34231
01/30/05 08:16 AM
01/30/05 08:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I go to a small church in Lawrence KS. We sing from the hymnal during church services. In Sabbath School we sometimes sing from the Songs of Praise book.

We use an upright piano and small electric organ to accompany. We used to have a guitar at times, but the guitarist is going to another church.

Sometimes for special music a tape is used for accompaniment. Usually (almost always) the tapes are on the tame side (i.e. not with strong rhythmic beating from drums).

Re: Your Church music #34232
01/30/05 07:02 PM
01/30/05 07:02 PM
Angie Street  Offline
Michigan
I'm kinda new here. I have been on the site, registered before, but it has been almost 4 years since I have been back, only because now I finally have a reliable computer. I go to the Fairplain SDA Church in Benton Harbor, MI. We sing only from the church hymnal, but I truly enjoy the special music, mostly because it is not from the hymnal. We have at least two pianists and 2 organists. I really don't know exactly how many of each we have. But we always have the piano and the organ for each song. One of the organists can get pretty creative with the songs, tho. Like when the kids go up front for the children's story, she plays this pretty song that almost seems like it should be in a music box. This particular one is related to "Uncle Arthur," although I don't remember exactly how. So, she would have to be pretty creative, right? [Wink]

God bless!

Angie

Re: Your Church music #34233
01/30/05 07:55 PM
01/30/05 07:55 PM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Thomas, I think you have said it exactly right. Our music needs to have "life" in it--it should be sung with paying attention to the words and with happiness/exuberance.

Daniel R: I am not in favor of "games" in the church services. Perhaps during the children's SS time in their individual rooms but not during the adult SS time. However, I also do not care for boring "reading the mission story" blah type of services either. There is a balance.

The SS time is for missions primarily and it is possible to have very interesting "mission" stories, not just from the mission book put out each quarter, but from personal experiences, using video/pictures, etc. It is to be done in such a way as to animate people in the pews to help support or go as a missionary theirselves.

I am fully in support of having the children involved in the adult SS occasionally. They can recite their memorized memory verses or perhaps the older children can tell what local "missions" they are doing in the community.

However I am not in support of any type of drama, skits or pantomines, theatrics. I am also not in support of "dead" or boring services.

Chris: I'm not sure what to think about paying an organist on Sabbath. If your church felt it wasn't right, then I agree with their decision. To follow the tapes is an excellent idea too. But I hope you can find a good organist or pianist soon.

Murian, I couldn't agree with you more about the "somber" services. There is a place perhaps for that during the communion service or a funeral service. While we are to be reverent during the church services, we also should be happy, praising the Lord in song and one thing that a song leader can do while leading out in a hymn, have the men sing one verse alone, then the women. There are other things one can do to help the service to be a happy one--not highly syncopated and jazzy--but praiseful and happy.

Brooks: I have been to your church! It has lovely music from musicians who are well trained, including your wife!!

Tom E: I'm glad your accompaniment tapes are without a strong beat as this detracts from the words of the song!

Angie: WELCOME BACK!! We're so glad you are here.
I am glad you have an organist that plays appropriately for the children's story! What she/he is doing is playing it like a little children's song should be played. I do this too. It often will sound happy and sweet.

I also like other songs besides the hymnal. However I am very careful that they are not highly syncopated or jazzy or worldly sounding. There are some beautiful ones out there that I often play on the organ.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to reply to everyone!

Re: Your Church music #34234
01/31/05 01:34 AM
01/31/05 01:34 AM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline
Silver Spring, MD, USA
OK Debbie. How do you know that I am not editing these photos to actually improve the way I look? [Frown] Which avatar would you guess looks the most like me? And what makes you think that they do not show my authentic self? I have only been showing you the many faces of my multi-dimensional self. [Wink]

This new one is about as normal as it is going to get! [Big Grin] And so I cannot be accused of wandering totally off-topic, you notice that it has a musical theme... Which raises another interesting church music idea. Would you be comfortable with the sax for church since it has become so distinctly associated with jazz music?

Tom

Re: Your Church music #34235
01/31/05 03:46 AM
01/31/05 03:46 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Hmmm, I do think I like this one better. You still look just a bit scary, but not quite so bad. So you think this one is the closest to how you really look? [Eek!]

What do I think about the sax used in the church services? I have no problem with them. I don't personally care so much for the tones they produce (not a favorite) but I've heard some very beautiful music played in church on the sax. Just because the instrument is played incorrectly doesn't mean the instrument is wrong--right?

Re: Your Church music #34236
01/31/05 12:55 PM
01/31/05 12:55 PM
D
D R  Offline
Charter Member
SDA
Active Member 2020

East Coast Canada
excellent statement Debbie.
This applies to all instruments because an instrument can not be "born in sin", but it can be played in a sinful manner, just as it can be played in an appropriate manner.
It is nice to see that we can agree in a topic. [Smile]

Re: Your Church music #34237
02/05/05 05:01 AM
02/05/05 05:01 AM
debbie  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
USA
Daniel, it IS nice that there is something we can agree on. So now I am left wondering exactly what do we disagree on? [Frown]

Re: Your Church music #34238
02/06/05 05:40 PM
02/06/05 05:40 PM
Gerry Buck  Offline
Charter Member
Very Dedicated Member
Benton Harbor, Mi.
I attend the Tawas Seventh-Day Adventist church in Michigan, USA.
We also have the CD assortment as our piano players and organist moved away.
Here it is either feast or famine when it comes to 'live' music.
We use the hymnal for worship, but our Pastor plays guitar and he and his wife have sung special music with a slight country air. (The real stuff, not this nonsense they call country.) [Wink]

Re: Your Church music #34239
02/06/05 07:26 PM
02/06/05 07:26 PM
Chris Williams  Offline
Posting New Member
Dayton OH
Debbie, we sort of gave up looking instead we are paying for piano lessons for one of our members and hopefully [Pray or Praying or Prayer] she will someday become our pianist or organist.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!