HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,448 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
still got dairy? #38351
06/01/04 04:13 AM
06/01/04 04:13 AM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
In the mackerel thread I brought up dairy products, so here we are with a new thread, where I will proceed to step on some toes [Wink]

Lots of SDAs still use dairy from what I can see; especially cheese. It wasn't but a little over 2 years ago that I'd order a Domino's or Pizza Hut pizza once a week, maybe more than once; until I got to reading more about milk, cheese, and other dairy products at Robert Cohen's site:

http://www.notmilk.com

R. Cohen's not an SDA, but he thinks the world of Ellen White's health counsels, and has published a book full of quotations from her writings; God's Nutritionist. I've been getting his daily e-newsletter for almost a year now, and some of the facts are purely frightening. (He quotes respected medical journals; no snake-oil made-up facts)

For example:

*All* cow's milk contains cow pus. Yep, pus. The stuff inside pimples. Dead bacteria + dead white blood cells.

• Cow's milk can contain bovine fecal matter.

• Milk use is positively correlated with a variety of cancers, osteoporosis, acne, arthritis, obesity, asthma, bad bowel movements, Crohn's disease, tuberculosis, and other diseases too numerous to mention here.

• Cow's milk often contains salmonella, e. coli, listeria, yersinia, mycobacterium paratuberculosis; none of which are completely destroyed by pasteurization. Milk can be pasteurized by heating to 145° F. (62.8° C.) for half an hour or 163° F. (72.8° C.) for 15 seconds. It's not like they boil it. Some bacterial spores survive. As the milk cools, the bacteria begins to grow again, doubling at room temperature every 20 minutes; doubling every thirty hours in the refrigerator while under 40° F. (4.4° C.) cold storage.

And everything that's wrong with milk is more wrong with cheese -- it takes ten pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese. Cheese is concentrated sour milk!

In 1970 the average American ate about 11 pounds of cheese a year. Now that figure is closer to 31 pounds a year. And look at the obesity problem -- cheese is a definite contributing factor. The growth hormones in dairy products are designed to turn 300-pound calves into 1200-pound cows. They do the same type of work on human metabolisms.

Even though EGW said it was OK to drink milk in her day, here's what she said about cheese:

"If milk is used, it should be thoroughly sterilized; with this precaution, there is less danger of contracting disease from its use. Butter is less harmful when eaten on cold bread than when used in cooking; but, as a rule, it is better to dispense with it altogether. Cheese is still more objectionable; it is wholly unfit for food."
{MH 302.1}

"Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach."
{15OT 57.2}
"Wholly unfit for food." "Should never be introduced into the stomach." And that was then! Things are much worse now.

What about ice cream?

"Far too much sugar is ordinarily used in food. Cakes, sweet puddings, pastries, jellies, jams, are active causes of indigestion. Especially harmful are the custards and puddings in which milk, eggs, and sugar are the chief ingredients. The free use of milk and sugar taken together should be avoided."
{MH 301.4}

"Sugar and milk combined are liable to cause fermentation in the stomach, and are thus harmful."
{CTBH 56.4}
{CD 331.2}
Fermentation? That produces alcohol.

A former pastor here once told the story of a man he knew who ate a lot of ice cream. The man ate a big sundae one night, then got pulled over for not driving carefully enough, committing some-such moving violation. The policeman gave the man a breathalyzer test, and it registered alcohol on his breath; though not enough to convict. The milk and sugar in the ice cream had fermented and produced alcohol in his stomach.

• My personal testimony regarding giving up dairy: I used to catch a cold/cough/sore throat/flu-type bug once or twice a year, every time the weather changed from hot to cold or vice versa. This went on from the time I was a child up until two years ago, like clockwork. For forty years. I gave up dairy in early 2002, and since that time I haven't had a single sore throat, cold, cough, *NOTHING*. Zero. Zip. Nada. And still am constantly around other people who are coughing, sneezing, stopped up, wheezing, due to some bug or another. But I just don't catch them any more; it's like somebody flipped a switch. Amazing.

I used to get stomach ailments for years. Was known for having a 'weak stomach'. Would get sick and throw up for no apparent reason at times. This happened during the years I was drinking & partying, yeah; but it also happened when I gave those things up and went to being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. But since giving up dairy, it hasn't happened once.

I've also lost 15 pounds I needed to lose, and it wasn't really that difficult.

Ellen White said SDAs will eventually need to give up milk, but that God would reveal it when the time comes:

"I wish to say that when the time comes that it is no longer safe to use milk, cream, butter, and eggs, God will reveal this. No extremes in health reform are to be advocated. The question of using milk and butter and eggs will work out its own problem. At present we have no burden on this line. Let your moderation be known unto all men." -- Letter 37, 1901 (To Dr. and Mrs. Kress, May 29, 1901.)
{12MR 178.01}
{CD 353.3}
That was 103 years ago. What I wonder is, has the time come? Or, is it near? With mad cow disease etc. and all the other things we now know about dairy, is it time for us to say, God wants us to stop using dairy? Or will there be some more blaring signal that none can possibly miss?

She also said we'll be needing to forgo eggs at some point. I still eat egg whites some; not the yolk though. Does anybody have thoughts/information on eggs? (and would that necessitate yet another thread ~ )

[edit - changed topic title from "still got milk?" to "still got dairy?"]

[ June 01, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: John ]

Re: still got dairy? #38352
06/01/04 12:15 PM
06/01/04 12:15 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
John,

Informative and very interesting.

Also, if you wish to discuss all dairy products in this thread, then how about renaming this topic All About Dairy Products, or create a separate topic on eggs?

Re: still got dairy? #38353
06/01/04 02:56 PM
06/01/04 02:56 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I know my wife has bought some 'butter' that is either made from soy or olive oil. I will ask her and post it. It is really tasty and you can buy it at the grocery store.. well at the grocery stores up here, so I am sure you can find it in the states.

God Bless,
Will

Re: still got dairy? #38354
06/02/04 03:10 AM
06/02/04 03:10 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Renaming it to still got dairy? also works. [Big Grin]

Re: still got dairy? #38355
06/01/04 11:09 PM
06/01/04 11:09 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
I remember in my high school biology class the teacher once stated that after the age of 3, the human body no longer makes the enzyme needed to digest lactose... no wonder so many people turn up "lactose intolerant"!

I gave up dairy a few years ago after realizing that my allergy (albeit minor) to it was still there... Amazing the positive changes that change made to my health as well. It also amazes me how many things they can sneak milk products into and how many names they can give it!

Re: still got dairy? #38356
06/01/04 11:37 PM
06/01/04 11:37 PM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
You got that right Sarah. Whey, casein, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate -- I'm reading labels all the time any more, when food shopping. It's fairly hard to find bread, for instance, that doesn't have some sort of milk component as an ingredient.

Will, the health food store here sells Shedd's Willow Run soy margarine; no dairy in it, and better for you than regular margarine. I haven't seen it in the regular groceries though.

Re: still got dairy? #38357
06/02/04 12:19 AM
06/02/04 12:19 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I'll ask at our local healthfood store about Shedd's Willow Run. There is a margarine made from olive oil called Olivina, and that is pretty tasty indeed.
God Bless,
Will

Re: still got dairy? #38358
06/02/04 01:42 AM
06/02/04 01:42 AM
John H.  Offline OP
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
Speaking of reading labels, I just looked at the box of Willow Run in the fridge, and it has partially hydrogenated soybean oil in it. Partially hydrogenated anything isn't good
( http://www.google.com/search?q=partially+hydrogenated ) -- but Olivina doesn't have any of that.

http://www.beatrice.ca/ourbrands/olivina.htm

http://www.olivinacontest.ca/about.csp

Maybe I need to ask about Olivina here!

Re: still got dairy? #38359
06/02/04 04:15 AM
06/02/04 04:15 AM
debbie  Offline
Dedicated Member
USA
Going off dairy products is NOT easy at all. But it is possible. We are almost there. We have made changes as substitutes have been found so that we don't feel we are missing anything in our diet.

Plus our diet has become much more simple. Thanks John for the information about dairy. I am more determined than ever to leave ALL dairy alone!!!

Re: still got dairy? #38360
06/04/04 03:51 AM
06/04/04 03:51 AM
D
Dru  Offline
Posting New Member
Lilliwaup,WA USA
Thanks to Robert Cohen and his news letter, I am almost entirely free of dairy. My two daughters and their families are also coming on board.
I believe that Robert has sounded the alarm that Ellen while said would come. Now is the time! Get his free news letter and you will be convinced.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!