HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,476 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Final Exam #45492
08/06/02 02:19 PM
08/06/02 02:19 PM
Sarah Moss  Offline
Dedicated Member
Alberta, Canada
Maybe try thinking of this as a parable. Jesus also used parables to make a point that were not always doctrinally accurate (I think of the story of Lazarus and the rich man in hell). The story makes a beautiful point and has the capacity to reach people and help them understand a subject that is often overcomplicated in explanation because we as humans want it to be complicated.

I would also note that the author of this story did not say that grace was the Final Exam, but rather that this was how the teacher chose to present grace during the class final exam. There is a very large difference there!

Is it not possible that this story could reach someone where a different approach wouldn't?

Re: Final Exam #45493
08/06/02 06:40 PM
08/06/02 06:40 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Let us also remember that we all live under Grace....God's "unmerited favor." this means Hitler, all His life lived under grace. Satan and all his demons live under grace. Each breath that has ever been taken, all food/etc. to keep us alive, all is supplied by God....the sun shines on the wicked as well as the righteous....the rain falls on the crops of the wicked and they prosper...this is unmerited favor. This is Grace. But not the Saving Grace that He gives those that Choose to be saved. Don't mix up the two Graces.

Grace: Unmerited Favor, given to all. Everything outside of Christ, given to the living sinner, is still grace.

Grace: The Saving Power of God, given to those that, by faith, chooses to claim the promise of eternal life in Jesus.

Joh 1:12 "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:"

Col 1:27 "To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"

Now, if your telling me that the ones sitting in the class are truly converted students, appearing in the judgement, and their name is written in the Book of Life, then their "A" is the conclusion of a life in Christ through the saving Grace/Power of God. This is Saving Grace.

Students living selfish/self centered lives under God's grace/mercy, will fail all tests, because their lives are not in Jesus although He is still extending them Grace.

This is the part I do not see in the story....It is important to complete the story with the aspects of salvation, otherwise a false conclusion can be drawn from the simple story.

What complicates issues, is leaving out the vital points of salvation in the story. Grace or Saving Grace/His Power.

Re: Final Exam #45494
08/06/02 10:11 PM
08/06/02 10:11 PM
T
Tom Wetmore  Offline OP
Silver Spring, MD, USA
Sarah,

Excellent point about reading too much into the story and about Jesus parables. Using the same critical analysis of His stories could lead one to the same conclusion the Pharisees made about His parables.

Jesus was talking about salvation in the parable of the lost sheep and the lost coin and the lost son. The sheep was saved and the coin recovered without ANY effort on their own part. The stupid sheep could do nothing more than go "baaaa" and the coin didn't even know it was lost or that anyone was looking for it. And the Father welcomed the son home without waiting to see if he had truly mended his selfish/self-centered ways. Full sonhood immediately even thought the son just wanted a full belly and a roof over his head like the hired help got.
And what about the parable mentioned in the story?

I wonder how much we would want to edit His stories...

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Final Exam #45495
08/06/02 11:00 PM
08/06/02 11:00 PM
Charlene Van Hook  Offline
North Carolina, USA
Like i have said before, confusion is caused by not getting the facts straight:

Christ's Object Lessons---PG- 193

"This parable, like the preceding, sets forth the loss of something which with proper search may be recovered, and that with great joy. But the two parables represent different
classes. The lost sheep knows that it is lost. It has left the shepherd and the flock, and it cannot recover itself. It represents those who realize that they are separated from God and who are in a cloud of perplexity, in humiliation,
and sorely tempted. The lost coin represents those who are lost in trespasses and sins, but who have no sense of their condition. They are estranged from God, but they know it not. Their souls are in peril, but they are unconscious and unconcerned. In this parable Christ teaches that even those who are indifferent to the claims of God are the objects of His pitying love. They are to be sought for that they may be brought back to God.

This parable has a lesson to families. In the household there is often great carelessness concerning the souls of its members. Among their number may be one who is estranged from God; but how little anxiety is felt lest in the family relationship there be lost one of God's entrusted
gifts."

In Heavenly Places--- Love that is Measureless
-PG- 10
"The father of the prodigal son is the type that Christ chooses as a representation of God. This father longs to see and receive once more
the son who has left him. He waits and watches for him, yearning to see him, hoping that he will come. When he sees a stranger approaching, poor and clothed with rags, he goes out to meet him, if perchance it may be his son. And he feeds and clothes him as if he were indeed his son. By and by he has his reward, for his son comes home, on his lips the beseeching confession, "Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son." And
the father says to the servants, "Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring
hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry" (Luke 15:21-23).

What we see by these beautiful parables is the Great Love God has for His sinful creations. Never would anyone want to edit God's stories for they contain the truth of His searching/seeking for the lost. This is His Love for us. Notice the focus is in "bringing them back to Him"....And He shows us that when one repents, How happy/joyful the family of God is to recieve the lost back to the home of Jesus.

I see no similarity to the story related above. What is shown is both of the graces.

Sheep: knew it was lost and wanted to be found but did not know how to be found. The Shepherd seeked, found and brought back to the fold.

Coin: Didn't know it was lost, but it was a treasure that was sought after by family and friends and found so it could be brought back to the close relationship of love.

Prodigal Son: chose to sin, played the worldly life but when on hard times realized he had given up the only thing in life that was worth anything, he knew he was lost and unworthy of any love. He became truly repentant and returned to His Father and God, as a forgiving Father,who never turns away a repentant sinner, receives Him with open arms and All the Angels sang.

Somehow, this doesn't seem to be a group of students taking their final test. parable.

But whatever you say!
(my edits are just spell checking)

[ August 06, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Edward F Sutton ]

Re: Final Exam #45496
08/06/02 11:53 PM
08/06/02 11:53 PM
Edward F Sutton  Offline
Charter Member
Most Dedicated Member
Zanesville, OH 43701
What does God consider to be our exams ? Are they always final (especially if they are daily)?

Can anyone bring back yesturdays ? (no one ever has) Once gone they are final, the sins can be washed away, but the sowing and reaping (both good & bad happens unless God intervenes.)

(daily test = 3 SOP hits)

O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? Matt. 14:31. {CC 310.1}

Looking unto Jesus, Peter walks securely; but as in self-satisfaction he glances back toward his companions in the boat, his eyes are turned from the Saviour. The wind is boisterous. The waves roll high. . . . For a moment Christ is hidden from his view, and his faith gives way. He begins to sink. But while the billows talk with death, Peter lifts his eyes from the angry waters, and fixing them upon Jesus, cries, "Lord, save me." Immediately Jesus grasps the outstretched hand, saying, "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" {CC 310.2}

Walking side by side, Peter's hand in that of his Master, they stepped into the boat together. But Peter was now subdued and silent. He had no reason to boast over his fellows, for through unbelief and self-exaltation he had very nearly lost, his life. When he turned his eyes from Jesus, his footing was lost and he sank amid the waves. {CC 310.3}

When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. . . . {CC 310.4}

In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him. {CC 310.5}

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis. {CC 310.6}

When trouble comes upon us, how often we are like Peter! We look upon the waves, instead of keeping our eyes fixed upon the Saviour. Our footsteps slide, and the proud waters go over our souls. Jesus did not bid Peter come to Him that he should perish; He does not call us to follow Him, and then forsake us. "Fear not," He says; "for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour." Isa. 43:1-3. {DA 382.1}

Jesus read the character of His disciples. He knew how sorely their faith was to be tried. In this incident on the sea He desired to reveal to Peter his own weakness,--to show that his safety was in constant dependence upon divine power. Amid the storms of temptation he could walk safely only as in utter self-distrust he should rely upon the Saviour. It was on the point where he thought himself strong that Peter was weak; and not until he discerned his weakness could he realize his need of dependence upon Christ. Had he learned the lesson that Jesus sought to teach him in that experience on the sea, he would not have failed when the great test came upon him. {DA 382.2}

Day by day God instructs His children. By the circumstances of the daily life He is preparing them to act their part upon that wider stage to which His providence has appointed them. It is the issue of the daily test that determines their victory or defeat in life's great crisis. {DA 382.3}

Those who fail to realize their constant dependence upon God will be overcome by temptation. We may now suppose that our feet stand secure, and that we shall never be moved. We may say with confidence, "I know in whom I have believed; nothing can shake my faith in God and in His word." But Satan is planning to take advantage of our hereditary and cultivated traits of character, and to blind our eyes to our own necessities and defects. Only through realizing our own weakness and looking steadfastly unto Jesus can we walk securely. {DA 382.4}

No sooner had Jesus taken His place in the boat than the wind ceased, "and immediately the ship was at the land whither they went." The night of horror was succeeded by the light of dawn. The disciples, and others who also were on board, bowed at the feet of Jesus with thankful hearts, saying, "Of a truth Thou art the Son of God!" {DA 382.5}

His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Matt. 25:21.

Oh, how many are waiting for opportunity to do some great work of self-sacrifice, and are overlooking the little daily test which God gives to prove them. It is the little things of life that develop the spirit in men and women and determine that character. These trifles cannot be neglected and yet the man be prepared to endure the severe tests, when they are brought to bear upon him. . . . {TDG 144.1}

Your character building is by no means finished. Every day a good or a bad brick is placed in the structure. You are either building crookedly, or with exactness and correctness that will make a beautiful temple for God. Therefore, look not for great opportunities, and neglect the present little opportunities of doing little acts of kindness. In words, in tones, in gestures, in looks, you can represent the spirit of Jesus. He who neglects these little things, and yet flatters himself that he is ready to do wonderful things for the Master, will be in danger of failing altogether. {TDG 144.2}

Life is not made up of great sacrifices and wonderful achievements, but of little things. Kindness and love and courtesy are the marks of the Christian. . . . You need to cherish the precious qualities that existed in the character of Jesus. . . . In our association with each other, let it be ever remembered that there are chapters in the experience of others that are sealed from mortal eyes. There are sad histories that are written in the books of heaven, which are sacredly guarded from prying eyes. There stand registered long, hard battles with trying circumstances, arising in the very homes, that day by day sap the courage, the faith, the confidence, until the very manhood seems to fall to ruins. But Jesus knows it all, and He never forgets. To such, words of kindness and of affection are welcome as the smile of angels. A strong, helpful grasp of the hand of a true friend is worth more than gold and silver. It helps him to regain the manhood of the man.--Letter 16, May 15, 1886, to two physicians at the St. Helena Sanitarium. {TDG 144.3}

This sort of makes you think about the nature of actually walking with Jesus & life's tests.

Re: Final Exam #45497
09/24/02 03:14 AM
09/24/02 03:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amen Tom & Sarah

You seem to have gotten the best marks on this test.

I see a lot of things missing on this subject, but the one verse that stands out the most is Luke 17:10.

If we are going to do the final test, so that we get a passing grade; let us give way to God's Word, and dispense with personal opinions and out of context SOP quotes. It is sad to see SOP being used first, and the Bible used second by some here.

"So, like wise, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say We are unprofitable servants; we have done that which was our duty to do.

This one verse alone, sets "perfect obedience," and "character perfection," in their proper spheres.

4T.228.002
Our good works alone will not save any of us, but we cannot be saved without good works. And after we have done all that we can do, in the name and strength of Jesus we are to say: "We are unprofitable servants." We are not to think that we have made great sacrifices and that we should receive great reward for our feeble services.

Re: Final Exam #45498
10/08/02 10:43 PM
10/08/02 10:43 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Tom:
I thought it was a great story. It reminds me of Noah and the Sanctuary. Noah did the work but anyone who wanted to rest had to walk the plank. No one, including Jesus, could walk the plank for any man. Each person had to decide whether to invest in the energy, and potential embarassment, of walking up the plank. The work was not hard but it was necessary. All provisions had been made by someone else but each person going on had to walk it themselves, with Jesus at their side encouraging them onward. Those who went on board were saved by their works, walking the plank, by their faith, trusting that the message was not lunacy, and by the grace of God, that gave them the strength and the vehicle for salvation.

Re: Final Exam #45499
10/18/02 03:04 AM
10/18/02 03:04 AM
A
adventbeliever  Offline
Abbotsford B.C. Canada
Personally, I think Charlene hit it right on the nail! Like her my take is that it is a very subtle object-lesson on cheap grace! Those who have given up believing that "His experience is to be ours," that "we are to overcome as He overcame," (the reason why His coming has been delayed so long) will be quick to extol like stories. As far as I am concerned this cute little story says nothing of the faith which works by love to purify the soul, which turns the disobedient into an obedient child of God!

Let me know though how you relate to the following statement:

"We are accepted through Christ's merits alone; and the acts of mercy, the deeds of charity, which we perform, are the fruits of faith; and they become a blessing to us; for men are to be rewarded according to their works. It is the fragrance of the merit of Christ that makes our good works acceptable to God, and it is grace that enables us to do the works for which He rewards us. Our works, in and of themselves have no merit. When we have done all that it is possible for us to do, we are to count ourselves as unprofitable servants. We deserve no thanks from God. We have only done what it was our duty to do, and our works could not have been performed in the strength of our own sinful natures." 5 B.C.1122.

Thank you!

Re: Final Exam #45500
10/19/02 03:22 AM
10/19/02 03:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
AB, great quote. We are saved through faith that works by love. If our faith fails to produce loving deeds then our "faith" is not of God. The faith of Jesus is full of good works. I love that about God! Thank you Lord.

Re: Final Exam #45501
11/04/02 01:44 PM
11/04/02 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered

4T.228.002
Our good works alone will not save any of us, but we cannot be saved without good works. And after we have done all that we can do, in the name and strength of Jesus we are to say: "We are unprofitable servants." We are not to think that we have made great sacrifices and that we should receive great reward for our feeble services.

Unquote.

What is “good” before God? Keeping his law ad obey it perfectly?

Unfortunately NO!

In His love

James S.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!